Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Jamin Davis LB Kentucky

PCS

11 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Heck, going farther here's a look at the LBs picked in 2021 who have a better AV than Davis:

Micah Parsons who we had no chance to pick

Nick Bolton (6), picked in the second 83 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 ints

Pete Werner (5), picked in the second 54 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 ints

Baron Browning (5), picked in the third 33 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 ints

JOK (4), picked in the second, 60 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 0 ints

Davis (4), picked in the first, 54 tackles, 2 sacks, 0 ints. 

This was not a good LB class. 

That's a pretty good LBer class. Getting those numbers from rookie LBers is solid and having that many starters in year two (and I think there are several others) is fantastic.

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

This was not a good LB class. 

I agree with you that it wasn't a great LB class, and it's fair to say that none except Parsons have been super productive yet.  I think this 2022 LBer class is going to end up being a lot better.  But I think people are going on the flashes of playmaking potential and good individual grades from sources like PFF that Wu has shown so far, that haven't really materialized yet with Jamin.  Wu came into the league pretty far ahead of Jamin and it's probably a safe bet he'll stay a better player than Jamin.

It bothers me that we passed on Wu for Jamin because I think he would have done so well here.  He is exactly the kind of smart, hard-nosed, hyper aggressive player that the coaches would have loved to coach, a la Jon Allen and Terry McLaurin.  He could have been growing into a key leadership role here for us.  And in terms of skills, he thrives in coverage in a way that would have been particularly valuable to our scheme.  He was the Butkus award winner and a college star and was the no-brainer pick for us at 19.  Somebody in our front office outsmarted themselves.

That said, I actually liked Jamin as a Day 2 linebacker prospect and I still think he can become a good player.  He was productive at Kentucky, and while not as aggressive as Wu, he was still a pretty aggressive player with the kind of motor and athletic traits that can be the foundation for success in the NFL.

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

People talk about JOK like he was a godsend. His stats are comparable to Davis. 

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits Sfty AV
Career       16 12 0 0 0 0 4 3 0 0 0 0 1.5 90 60 30 6 4  

2021 22 CLE LLB 28 14 10 0 0 0 0 4 2 0 0 0 0 1.5 76 49 27 3 4   4
2022 23 CLE LB 28 2 2           1 0 0 0 0 0.0 14 11 3 3 0    

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles   Tackles    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits Sfty AV
Career       18 9 0 0 0 0 1           2.0 83 54 29 4 4   4
2021 23 WAS MLB 52 16 8 0 0 0 0 1           1.0 76 48 28 3 2   4
2022 24 WAS LB 52 2 1                     1.0 7 6 1 1 2    

Even if we ignore the basic numbers we see that they have similar AV of 4. Thats below what we'd want in a starter at 6 or 7 but they've got similar number of tackles and TFL. You can see the things like PD and FF favor JOK but its not like he played lights out last year. 

I compare this to Kam Curl and his rookie year in terms of what a good rookie season looked like 

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles   Tackles    
Career       32 25 3 88 1 76 9 0 0 1 0 0 3.0 187 125 62 6 8   11
2020 21 WAS SS 31 16 11 3 88 1 76 4           2.0 88 63 25 4 5   7
2021 22 WAS FS 31 16 14 0 0 0 0 5 0 0 1 0 0 1.0 99 62 37 2 3   4

Again, ignoring the pure stat numbers and looking at the AV and you see that he has an AV of 7 - thats something that I see that shows he should be a starter in the league. 

It's a case of perception vs. reality here. JOK was a high talent that dropped. Davis was a raw talent that went higher. Expectations on Davis aren't the same as the ones on JOK. Davis' are higher due to draft position. So people think JOK has been more dominant.

I've watched Browns games, he has the same visibility as Davis. I'm not all that impressed with JOK myself, but I do think he has played fairly well. I think Davis is more criticized by his own coaching staff, too, over the last few years. JOK is generally praised. Amazing what that does for a narrative.

Not to say I think JOK has been bad. He hasn't been from what I've seen. He's been solid.

But I think Jamin has too... when we use him in the right ways... which isn't often. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Davis is essentially a rookie OLB this year. We wasted a year of his development trying to play him at MLB.

Essentially a rookie? That take seems a little extreme.

Playing a different position in the same unit with the same coaches in the same defense I find it hard to believe he learned nothing, I'd imagine it only stunted him a little bit.

It's not like we sent him to a monastery for a year to brew beer with the monks.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Didn’t McCain totally miss on that 3rd and 15th score where Swift fell then went in untouched? 

He did, but I don't think he was the player out of position on that play.  But he did miss a key tackle in the open field.   If he makes that tackle, it increases Washington's chances to win by quite a bit.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

It's a case of perception vs. reality here. JOK was a high talent that dropped. Davis was a raw talent that went higher. Expectations on Davis aren't the same as the ones on JOK. Davis' are higher due to draft position. So people think JOK has been more dominant.

I've watched Browns games, he has the same visibility as Davis. I'm not all that impressed with JOK myself, but I do think he has played fairly well. I think Davis is more criticized by his own coaching staff, too, over the last few years. JOK is generally praised. Amazing what that does for a narrative.

Not to say I think JOK has been bad. He hasn't been from what I've seen. He's been solid.

But I think Jamin has too... when we use him in the right ways... which isn't often. 

You loved Pete Werner. I was with you on taking him 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, philibusters said:

He did, but I don't think he was the player out of position on that play.  But he did miss a key tackle in the open field.   If he makes that tackle, it increases Washington's chances to win by quite a bit.

Yeah I think that blatantly awful, and critical, missed tackle should be enough to keep him off the ‘played a good game’ list IMO.

14 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Yeah I think that blatantly awful, and critical, missed tackle should be enough to keep him off the ‘played a good game’ list IMO.

McCain and Holcomb are two guys who get talked about a lot in a positive way but don't do much

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Davis is essentially a rookie OLB this year. We wasted a year of his development trying to play him at MLB.

Please stop saying this. He went from MLB to ILB and it somehow ruined him and he wasted a year? Like he didn't learn anything playing almost the exact same position? 

It makes no sense to say it was a waste and that he didn't learn anything. It was only his second year playing LBer and they threw too much at him, asked too much from him, but that doesn't mean that he didn't learn anything. If anything, he probably learned more and it'll benefit him down the road.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

McCain and Holcomb are two guys who get talked about a lot in a positive way but don't do much

Yeah. If I remember correctly during the press conference Rivera didn't really say McCain had a "good game". He was going through guys and when he mentioned McCain he said he did some good things. It stood out that he said it differently, but until we start benching players that aren't doing their jobs it doesn't matter. With how the offense is looking we just need the defense to not be absolute ****. Below average would be fine. 

• Like 1

Hopefully he continues to rack up sacks to help him w his confidence

The sad thing is that the truth of it is that Davis’s best path to a high end future in the NFL is putting on 10-15 pounds to play OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Remember that the Kentucky coaches were seriously considering doing something like that at one point

Edited by method man