Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here’s how Americans rank the 50 states

Cooked Crack

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Are their beaches flat, for miles in all directions, like in Florida? Never been to NC but have been to Florida and their beaches. Wasn't impressed.

NC beaches are redundant, yes.  Extremely peaceful.  Boring.

South Jersey is where its at (was).  I don't know anymore.  Been 15 years?  Still looks like a carnival with great dredging work and awesome upkeep/progress.

South East Jersey > your favorite place ever.

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Are their beaches flat, for miles in all directions, like in Florida? Never been to NC but have been to Florida and their beaches. Wasn't impressed.

Yeah it's sooper nice. You don't have to hike down a 400 foot cliff to get to the beaches. 🤭

Florida's gulf coast beaches are excellent imo. Not as nice as the outer banks tho.

5 minutes ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

Which is exactly why they're so great.

HandyDisguisedDodobird-size_restricted.g

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clietas said:

Yeah it's sooper nice. You don't have to hike down a 400 foot cliff to get to the beaches. 🤭

Florida's gulf coast beaches are excellent imo. Not as nice as the outer banks tho.

You don't have to do that anywhere lol...but I do love that places like Cali and Hawaii have some beaches that are more secluded and surrounded by gorgeous scenery instead of miles of flat brown sand and strip malls out in the distance.

1 hour ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

South Jersey is where its at (was).  I don't know anymore.  Been 15 years?  Still looks like a carnival with great dredging work and awesome upkeep/progress.

South East Jersey > your favorite place ever.

My favorite beaches so far have been in Hawaii and Australia (not in the U.S., obviously lol)...I do really like the beaches in Cali, though, for the most part. I guess it depends on why you go to the beach as to what type of beach you prefer. The beaches in Florida that I went to were visually monotonous.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, clietas said:

Which is exactly why they're so great.

Incredibly great point.

Jersey beaches are the same.  Nobody causes trouble.

However, the "carnival" theme is not there in the Outer Banks.  More hole-in-the-wall bars and restaurants.

South eastern Jersey created the Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi sounds.  You may hate them, but their carnival themed music is derivative of their upbrining.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Last time I drove through all that country  Virginia splendor it was ruined by the sight of dozens of confederate flags. 

have you ever been outside the urban/suburban areas of california.......?           

3ad039f9eece51a4f3383f404d7c9e4a.gif 

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

You don't have to do that anywhere lol...but I do love that placed like Cali and Hawaii have some beaches that are more secluded and surrounded by gorgeous scenery instead of miles of flat brown sand and strip malls out in the distance.

My favorite beaches so far have been in Hawaii and Australia (not in the U.S., obviously lol)...I do really like the beaches in Cali, though, for the most part. I guess it depends on why you go to the beach as to what type of beach you prefer. The beaches in Florida that I went to were visually monotonous.

California beaches are beautiful.    to look at.

It looks like this study is probably based on a lot of perception at a high level.

Virginia has been pretty progressive politically and in the news for it the last few years. VIrginia also has a lot of history.

Virginia has also been in the news a lot for business ... HQ2 ... being the #1 state for business by CNBC ...

and every election cycle there appears to be a focus on Virginia and the suburbs/NOVA/etc.

But under all of that, Virginia is a business friendly state, with stable tax structure, that has all 4 seasons, access to beaches, mountains, urban/rural, and is extremely culturally amenity rich (DC, historical landmarks throughout the state).

I don't think something like this needs to be deep dove on but I think between the recent press the state has gotten + some of the nice things most people know we have, it lends to us being near to the top of the list.

Everything I just said about Virginia in terms of recent PR can be said about Colorado too. Except for the 4 seasons, and the beaches. But Colorado makes up for that in spades with the Rockies, and a great brewery scene.

It;s funny because my wife and I have been discussing places to possibly move that are lower cost. We are pretty stuck on VIrginia so it would take a lot to make us move away, but North Carolina and Colorado are the only two other states we'd really consider.

What is going to ultimately sink Northern Virginia is cost. Homes in my hood in Ashburn are now selling for close to $1m. All they are are oversized (4k sf) homes with no property built within 20 years. There's no neighborhood culture ... no community feel. And the pandemic has only made it worse as people closer in flee the exurbs, and those in the exurbs can't even really escape further to the west because homes out in Berryville are now pushing $400-500k.

There are pockets of expensive areas around the state but by and large, you can live most anywhere outside of NOVA and be able to afford a solid house on a decent income. And there are really strong job markets all over the state now except for the extreme southwest parts of the state ... old coal country ... and even those parts of the state are seeing some big job growth.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

Just now, clietas said:

NC has about as many breweries as CO. Plus we have both New Belgium and Sierra Nevada. 🙂

Virginia and North Carloina brewery scene is awesome. But frankly it's not really a "driver" anymore because almost every town has microbreweries now. But I think Colorado being one of the first on the scene created that culture/atmosphere that people still identify with, even if the brewery scene isn't necessarily unique to them anymore.

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Brother was really fond of Portland, OR.  If you're the outdoorsey type, it seems ideal.  

Drive an hour west, and you're on a beach where you can surf all year.  The beach will be rocky.  And the water cool.  You'll need a wet suit.  But you can.  

Drive an hour east, and you're in the Rockies, and you can go snowboarding all year round.  

Yeah I like Portland a lot, considered moving there. On the "outdoorsy scale" I would put myself at about a 6. I don't bike or surf or anything super vigorous, I just enjoy being able to go on nice walks/hikes in beautiful areas. It improves my mood to enjoy this beautiful planet. One thing I don't love about LA is the lack of trees and green space (although there is some). Mostly a lot of concrete. It is also really dry.

I went boogie boarding up near Santa Barbara last year and was constantly worried about sharks lol. That is sort of a prime area for them. Still fun though.

In terms of the whole Virginia vs. Maryland thing, I honestly haven't spent much time in VA so I have no idea what it has to offer. The Chesapeake Bay would give Maryland a huge boost though, amazing beauty and great seafood to boot. 

Edited by abdcskins

Having lived in in order, Virginia, West Virginia, Virginia, West Virginia, and then California..it isn't even close imo. 

I personally prefer to live in a place that's not homogeneous when it comes to demographics. The end result is better food, better culture, and generally more acceptance (although that's being put to the test this year).

5 minutes ago, clietas said:

NC has about as many breweries as CO. Plus we have both New Belgium and Sierra Nevada. 🙂

Sierra Nevada is a California creation. Started at Chico State. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

12 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Sierra Nevada is a California creation. Started at Chico State. 

And they built a brewery in Asheville. 

So did New Belgium which is originally from Fort Collins Co. 😉

Oh I forgot Oskar built a brewery here too. Lousy Colorado transplants. 😈

Edited by clietas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tshile said:

I understand why this criticism makes sense....

but between the cost of living issues, the draught issues (which while related to the wild fires, is also an issue on its own), the wild fires, and the fact that California seems to do everything it’s own special way, I could absolutely see why many people would rank it lower than other states. 

I’m not sure I personally would rank Virginia higher than California.... but I also understand why something like this might produce that result.

but that’s really not the point. The point is Maryland sucks. 

Finally I know EB's Extreme Skins handle.

EDIT:

And anyone who thinks any beaches in NC are "nice" beaches haven't traveled to many beaches.  Anyone saying anything along the east coast, north of southern Florida, in general is a nice beach hasn't traveled very far.

Sure they are peaceful and calm and can have a good time and I love going there with my family every year, but compared to beaches down in parts of FL where you can see your feet in more than 1 foot of water, they are crap.  The only reason I go there is because our family rents about 5-6 hours and hang on the beach all week under like 4 canopies.  It's basically a yearly family reunion.  I would much rather do it elsewhere the logistically it doesn't work for everyone.

I wold take this over North Carolina 10 out of 10 times.

JArnFTx.png

tfs4SmG.png

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

In terms of the whole Virginia vs. Maryland thing, I honestly haven't spent much time in VA so I have no idea what it has to offer. The Chesapeake Bay would give Maryland a huge boost though, amazing beauty and great seafood to boot. 

Most of the Bay is probably in Virginia though ...misconception.

Per google, there are 7800 miles of coastline in Virginia of the Bay and its tributaries. About 4000 in Maryland.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

have you ever been outside the urban/suburban areas of california.......?           

I've been all over California...never once saw a confederate flag. Not saying they don't exist in Cali, but it is (or was) most definitely not a state where you're likely to see one. California isn't really part of the South, so there's no real connection to the Confederacy for people to be proud of. The white supremacists in California will use propaganda moreso than Confederate symbolism. And it's more likely to occur in Orange County or SanBernardino County than out in the sticks.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I personally prefer to live in a place that's not homogeneous when it comes to demographics. The end result is better food, better culture, and generally more acceptance (although that's being put to the test this year).

This is important to me as well...anyone who thinks California doesn't have any culture probably has never lived in California. Or if they did, they were probably looking for a specific type of "culture".

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, clietas said:

And they built a brewery in Asheville. 

So did New Belgium which is originally from Fort Collins Co. 😉

Oh I forgot Oskar built a brewery here too. Lousy Colorado transplants. 😈

Asheville has a crazy brewery scene.  I loved it there.  East sure if I would.  I had the impression that the town was just trust-fund hippies.  Really liked it.

Lived in Va most my life with short stints in MD and VA.  Could see myself retiring in NC.  Though I really like it here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

Asheville has a crazy brewery scene.  I loved it there.  East sure if I would.  I had the impression that the town was just trust-fund hippies.  Really liked it.

Lived in Va most my life with short stints in MD and VA.  Could see myself retiring in NC.  Though I really like it here.

There was (maybe there still is idk) a big NC Virginia battle in economic development over attracting brewery expansion like 5-7 years ago.

Asheville got New Belgium ... Richmond got Stone ... I think Ballast Point expanded somewhere in southern Virginia. Almost every major brewery expansion was between NC or Virigina for a while there.

1 hour ago, mcsluggo said:

it is funny/telling/perfect  that the least popular state for Floridians.....  is Florida 

That's because Florida is really three states: North Cuba, South New York, and Southeast Alabama.  No matter what part you live in, you hate 2/3s of the state.

• Haha 6