Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

I think we're in a real good trade down spot. A real good edge or tackle will be there at 11 if the big shot prospects we'd want like Gardner or Hamilton are taken. We could try to get a bidding war going between the Vikings, Texans, Chargers, Saints etc. to take the 3rd OT(assuming Ewkonu and Neal both go top 10). 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think we're in a real good trade down spot. A real good edge or tackle will be there at 11 if the big shot prospects we'd want like Gardner or Hamilton are taken. We could try to get a bidding war going between the Vikings, Texans, Chargers, Saints etc. to take the 3rd OT(assuming Ewkonu and Neal both go top 10). 

Or worst case the Saints cant move up into the top ten for their QB and one of Pickett or Willis are still there at 11. I would be fine with moving down 5 spots for an extra 2nd. 

Although maybe they feel good about their guy being there at 16 as well. Who knows at this point. 

Edited by clskinsfan

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

With our luck we'll trade down and the guy we would have taken at 11 will end up an All Pro with the guy we get at 16 (or wherever) being a decent but not great player. But we'd get an extra 3rd round pick!

Which we'd use on a guy who will be off the team within 2 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

With our luck we'll trade down and the guy we would have taken at 11 will end up an All Pro with the guy we get at 16 (or wherever) being a decent but not great player. But we'd get an extra 3rd round pick!

Which we'd use on a guy who will be off the team within 2 years.

You literally just described the 2011 draft. Passed on JJ Watt for Kerrigan and Hankerson or some such

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

You literally just described the 2011 draft. Passed on JJ Watt for Kerrigan and Hankerson or some such

Yeah, that's actually the one I think was on my mind. Don't get me wrong, Kerrigan was an awesome Redskin and a great teammate, but he was never anywhere near what Watt was. We thought we were so clever trading down a bunch and stockpiling later round picks. Then we ended up with a bunch of guys who were off the team within a couple of years and Houston ended up with a future HoFer.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

The case can be made that the offensive tackles in the 2022 NFL Draft are rising faster than any other position, including Mississippi State’s Charles Cross.

How high could Cross come off the board?

Right now, three tackles could land in the initial six selections. Evan Neal of Alabama and Ikem Ekwonu of North Carolina State long established themselves in the top six. The third player at the position would be Cross of Mississippi State, who is rising faster than any of the top players at the position.

Pick No. 6 to the Carolina Panthers is not out of the question. People in league circles believe it will happen. Though they need a quarterback, left tackle is also a pressing need. If Cross does come off the board to the Panthers, that pick dictates even more afterward.

UPDATE (7:15 PM ET): Since posting this story, sources close to the Panthers tell PFN that right now, it comes down to a pair of players for Carolina – Charles Cross or Ikem Ekwonu. However, it’s questionable that Ekwonu lasts until the sixth pick.

Cross’ selection dictates the rest of Round 1

If those three are off the board by the ninth pick, it will affect where Trevor Penning of Northern Iowa and Tyler Smith of Tulsa end up. Penning could come off the board as early as No. 10 to the New York Jets. I’ve been reporting since the Senior Bowl that Penning is a favorite of general manager Joe Douglas. As we spoke about during last week’s edition of the Draft Insiders, the saga with Mekhi Becton continues.

Jets coaches have confided to several players the team will go offensive tackle early in the draft. Whether early means the fourth selection, 10th pick, or the top of Round 2, I cannot tell at this point.

I’m hearing the latest Penning comes off the board is pick No. 14 to the Baltimore Ravens. The franchise recently signed Morgan Moses, who played with the Jets last season, to a three-year deal. Yet, upon inspection of the contract, it reads like a one-year deal. Thus, the Ravens want to come out of this draft with a young offensive tackle.

Other tackle landing spots in the 2022 NFL Draft

Don’t discount a needy tackle team such as the Los Angeles Chargers moving up for Penning. One trading partner to keep in mind is the Minnesota Vikings. I’ll have more on that later this week.

It should be noted that the Ravens are bringing Penning in for an official top-30 visit this week. The Jets also met with Penning recently, though outside the realm of the official top-30 visit. This is important as Penning was at the Senior Bowl and Combine, and it’s a sure sign that both teams are highly interested in his services.

Smith is getting a ton of interest as of late. He has 14 official visits and was forced to turn down requests because of his busy schedule. The list of official visits includes the Tennessee Titans, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Commanders, and an already completed visit with the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Jets worked out Smith and requested a visit but were left off the list due to his travel schedule.

The team to watch for Smith is Tennessee at pick No. 26. Smith would be an upgrade at right tackle over 2021 second-round pick Dillon Radunz, a natural guard. As previously reported, Smith long established himself as the fifth tackle in this year’s class, and some feel he could start his career at offensive guard and then kick out to tackle.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-draft-news-rumors-ikem-ekwonu-charles-cross-evan-neal-offensive-tackle-class-rising/

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We have to be careful on how far we trade down though.  Thinking Wilson/Olave are RR's targets.  I say RR because he makes the final call.  

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If they want a tackle and Penning is still there at all, that might be our shot.  I don't think teams are trading up for a DT.    But an offensive tackle or CB like Sauce, maybe

Love this guy.  If we needed to address the LT/RT position, this is a player I really like.  He's nasty!!!  Three exclamations.  If he's there at #11 Baltimore and LAC could get into a bit of a bidding war.  

11 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We have to be careful on how far we trade down though.  Thinking Wilson/Olave are RR's targets.  I say RR because he makes the final call.  

And it depends who is there at 11 as well. If one of the top 5 guys on your board is there I think you have to make the pick at 11.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I also saw speculation the Saints wanted to jump the Chargers to get Tackle, and still have a pick for a WR,

Although a QB would make sense particularly since they don't have a 1st in 2023 now. Unless they have plans for Jameis beyond 2022, which is certainly possible given the contract they gave him.

They must think Penning will get to 16.   Or maybe they plan on trading 16 and 18 to get into the top 5-7.

Troy Andersen seems to be moving up boards faster than any other player in the draft.  Watch is QB running ability along with LB.  The guy loves the game.  RR loves players who love the game.  

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Can't see Neal going above Ekwonu, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Also, I feel the Jets would prefer Wilson (or even Olave) over London simply because they need some speed.  London is best over the middle and they signed a bunch of TE(s) in FA.  

Edited by mhd24

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

Can't see Neal going above Ekwonu, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Also, I feel the Jets would prefer Wilson (or even Olave) over London simply because they need some speed.  London is best over the middle and they signed a bunch of TE(s) in FA.  

Me neither but I really hope the Giants pick him instead of Ekwonu.  If the Giants come out of this draft with two picks in the top 7 being Neal and Hamilton... I will actually feel like we dodged a bullet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Me neither but I really hope the Giants pick him instead of Ekwonu.  If the Giants come out of this draft with two picks in the top 7 being Neal and Hamilton... I will actually feel like we dodged a bullet.

Yeah, I don't want Ekwonu anywhere near the division.  I don't see the Giants taking Hamilton, but who knows?  I figure they want an o-lineman and either an edge or CB.  Jackson & Bradbury are probably not Giants after this season.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They screwed up trading up for Smith instead of Parsons, but the Eagles FO are good traders.  They just aren't good drafters.  They have had some major high busts recently (Dillard (luckily they got Jordan M), Raeger (instead of Jefferson), Arcega-Whiteside, etc).