Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If the Steelers want Willis and are looking to trade up for him, they probably have to get in front of Atlanta or Carolina to be safe. 

If Willis makes it to 11, there is nobody between 11 and 20 who are drafting him. 

The only players who might slip to 11 that are worth possibly trading up for at 11 are Thibs, Hamilton or Stingly. Maybe Davis, but I think he's going pre 15. Eagles are a good option to trade up for Davis though.

Someone said the Steelers aren't a trade up type of team. That's wrong. They just moved up a couple years ago and also threw 2 firsts at Fitz. They're super aggressive when they want someone. 

I'd add Gardner at 11 if he slips (doubtful).  Also, Cross (doubtful) & Penning (pretty likely) may be of interest if they are there at 11.  LAC are desperate for a RT (it's the reason they lost the Raiders game).  Baltimore also needs a RT of the future (Moses is a stopgap).  

32 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Someone said the Steelers aren't a trade up type of team. That's wrong. They just moved up a couple years ago and also threw 2 firsts at Fitz. They're super aggressive when they want someone. 

They did, went from 20 to 10 for Devin Bush giving up a 2nd and 3rd as well

They do really need a QB, I think they should do the same moving up to 11 this year 😆

Edited by DWinzit

40 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I'd add Gardner at 11 if he slips (doubtful).  Also, Cross (doubtful) & Penning (pretty likely) may be of interest if they are there at 11.  LAC are desperate for a RT (it's the reason they lost the Raiders game).  Baltimore also needs a RT of the future (Moses is a stopgap).  

I think we're in WR or LB territory at 11. The two players who could change that would be Gardner or Hamilton. 

~Wolffe

Edited by Commander Wolffe
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

They did, went from 20 to 10 for Devin Bush giving up a 2nd and 3rd as well

They do really need a QB, I think they should do the same moving up to 11 this year 😆

11 for Willis is worthless though. Unless the Saints are totally showing nothing. There's no QB hungry team between 11 and 20. They need to get 2 or 3.

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

Well, yeah, there's about 14/15 guys who are probably top of the draft that a lot of teams will want. Gardner is a top 10 pick. Cross will go early too, because tackle, but nobody is trading up for a right tackle. There's also some depth. Penning is being over rated. He's not as good of a prospect as Cosmi was last year and I know that was a super deep tackle draft, and I doubt he's late 2nd like Cosmi, but he's not a top 15 player.

I definitely think the eagles might be the only possible trade partner for us if they really want Davis. My guess is they want WR, Davis, Linderbaum and DB. Davis, maybe Linderbaum or Stingley, but they'll have a shot at McDuff, Elam, etc.

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

11 for Willis is worthless though. Unless the Saints are totally showing nothing. There's no QB hungry team between 11 and 20. They need to get 2 or 3.

Yeah good point. Why would the Steelers trade up to 11 if there aren't any teams who would likely draft a QB between 11 and 20? If they are in love with Willis and want to make sure nobody else gets him they'd need to give up a haul to trade up before Carolina and Atlanta.

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah good point. Why would the Steelers trade up to 11 if there aren't any teams who would likely draft a QB between 11 and 20? If they are in love with Willis and want to make sure nobody else gets him they'd need to give up a haul to trade up before Carolina and Atlanta.

Because there are always other teams that might be interested in moving up for the same player. There's no reason the teams picking between 11 and 20 would only be talking trade scenarios with Pittsburgh.

1 minute ago, Franklin60 said:

Because there are always other teams that might be interested in moving up for the same player. There's no reason the teams picking between 11 and 20 would only be talking trade scenarios with Pittsburgh.

I still think it's just wishful thinking because we want more picks. I don't think the Steelers will panic and throw a bunch of picks to move up to 11. If they truly are in love with Willis they'll try to trade up higher.

At this point I think we should just be focusing on the best guy to grab at 11. If we get super lucky and a great trade falls into our laps then excellent, but we also shouldn't trade down just for the sake of trading down. If the right guy is there at 11 don't get cute, just pick him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Exactly. You've got 3 teams in the top 10 without a QB and a few with possible doubts like the Texans. Detroit is shopping their first pick and I think that's where Pittsburgh has to be to lock it up. No way they only have Trubs and have a year like Carolina last year, without a rookie. Maybe they like Ridder or Howell, but they've been super open about chasing Willis.

The Saints are the only possible team that might take Willis between 11 and 20 and there's nobody behind them either. There's no smoke to the Saints.

Detroit at 2 is the only shot Pittsburgh has at Willis, unless he slips to us, then he's theirs. Doubt we'd take him.

I mean maybe Baltimore wants to come up in front of Minnesota, but I seriously doubt it.

I'm betting Willis, Pickett and Corral go before us, which means the teams behind us are as excited as we are.

I haven't seen a single mock with Hamilton sliding past us. I can't see us passing either. I also don't see anyone trading up for a FS.

Unless nobody takes a QB in the top 10, then maybe there's some movement. 

6 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:

Which team would draft Willis between 11 and 31? Nobody. 

Correction. Saints and there's been zero talk about them linked to Willis. 

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I still think it's just wishful thinking because we want more picks. I don't think the Steelers will panic and throw a bunch of picks to move up to 11. If they truly are in love with Willis they'll try to trade up higher.

At this point I think we should just be focusing on the best guy to grab at 11. If we get super lucky and a great trade falls into our laps then excellent, but we also shouldn't trade down just for the sake of trading down. If the right guy is there at 11 don't get cute, just pick him.

We are staying at 11. Hamilton, Lloyd or a WR (Olave is my guess)

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Exactly. You've got 3 teams in the top 10 without a QB and a few with possible doubts like the Texans. Detroit is shopping their first pick and I think that's where Pittsburgh has to be to lock it up. No way they only have Trubs and have a year like Carolina last year, without a rookie. Maybe they like Ridder or Howell, but they've been super open about chasing Willis.

The Saints are the only possible team that might take Willis between 11 and 20 and there's nobody behind them either. There's no smoke to the Saints.

Detroit at 2 is the only shot Pittsburgh has at Willis, unless he slips to us, then he's theirs. Doubt we'd take him.

I mean maybe Baltimore wants to come up in front of Minnesota, but I seriously doubt it.

I'm betting Willis, Pickett and Corral go before us, which means the teams behind us are as excited as we are.

I haven't seen a single mock with Hamilton sliding past us. I can't see us passing either. I also don't see anyone trading up for a FS.

Unless nobody takes a QB in the top 10, then maybe there's some movement. 

Which team would draft Willis between 11 and 31? Nobody. 

Correction. Saints and there's been zero talk about them linked to Willis. 

We are staying at 11. Hamilton, Lloyd or a WR (Olave is my guess)

Actually, the Chargers also need a DT, so Davis could be of interest to them (however, RT is such a glaring hole that I think it is penciled in as the pick at 17).  Heck, what if KC/GB offers a monster package for London/Wilson if they are there at 11?  

2 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Actually, the Chargers also need a DT, so Davis could be of interest to them (however, RT is such a glaring hole that I think it is penciled in as the pick at 17).  Heck, what if KC/GB offers a monster package for London/Wilson if they are there at 11?  

Chargers don't have the capital to make that trade.

I suppose GB could do that, but they're so cheap.

Reid has the best eye for talent in his offense and I doubt he trades hill without seeing options for his replacement around their pick. I can see them draft 2 WRs.

It's possible. Just super doubtful. A few weeks ago I thought we were in a great spot to trade back. Now I think it's almost impossible. 

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Chargers don't have the capital to make that trade.

I suppose GB could do that, but they're so cheap.

Reid has the best eye for talent in his offense and I doubt he trades hill without seeing options for his replacement around their pick. I can see them draft 2 WRs.

It's possible. Just super doubtful. A few weeks ago I thought we were in a great spot to trade back. Now I think it's almost impossible. 

Yeah, I'm just reaching I guess.  Minny is desperate for a CB (also edge as Hunter has injury concerns).  If they love Stingley and want to ensure they get him, I could see them trading a 5th to ensure they get him.  Houston may want to jump Minny if KT/Jermaine Johnson are there at 11, although I think they are patient enough to stay put as they are in a slow rebuild.  Baltimore has the ammo to move up.  CB is a huge need for them.  Maybe they love Stingley and want to jump Minny?     

GB has traded up before.  They traded up (after trading down) to get Jaire Alexander (which was a steal of a trade).  They traded #27+3rd (an early 3rd)+6th for #18+7th.

Edited by mhd24
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah, I'm just reaching I guess.  Minny is desperate for a CB (also edge as Hunter has injury concerns).  If they love Stingley and want to ensure they get him, I could see them trading a 5th to ensure they get him.  Houston may want to jump Minny if KT/Jermaine Johnson are there at 11, although I think they are patient enough to stay put as they are in a slow rebuild.  Baltimore has the ammo to move up.  CB is a huge need for them.  Maybe they love Stingley and want to jump Minny?     

GB has traded up before.  They traded up (after trading down) to get Jaire Alexander (which was a steal of a trade).  They traded #27+3rd (an early 3rd)+6th for #18+7th.

Maybe. Im sure there will be some shuffling. I just don't think there's much of a chance.

I don't see the Packers paying a lot to move up 11 spots just to draft a WR.  There are plenty of WR to go around, and they have more needs to fill after letting guys go in the offseason.  Need to replace Davante Adams, sure.  But also need to another receiver to replace Marquez Valdez-Scantling, too.  And O-line needs to a couple guys to replace Billy Turner and Lucas Patrick, especially given Elgton Jenkins likely will not be ready to start the season.  Too many holes to fill to make a big splashy move on day 1, I think.  Possibly round 2 or 3 if they find the right value to grab someone they think will help right away.

• Like 1

I could see GB moving up from their 28 pick so that they had 2 firsts closer together, say picking 22,23. I think they’ll be looking over their shoulder at KC.

I think KC is a team to watch in the draft. They could be a surprise team to be very aggressive. If Hamilton falls, I really think they could try to move right up the board to get him. 

If we end up with Stingley it would be so Washington to do so.  We need to hit on this pick, and with all due respect to Smooter, you don't draft this guy.  Smells of Jamin Davis.  Drafting potential.  The guy has injuries, he is slightly built.  Please don't do it RR.  Not a position of need relative to our needs.  I hope it a smoke screen, to facilitate a trade.

• Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, sebestian said:

If we end up with Stingley it would be so Washington to do so.  We need to hit on this pick, and with all due respect to Smooter, you don't draft this guy.  Smells of Jamin Davis.  Drafting potential.  The guy has injuries, he is slightly built.  Please don't do it RR.  Not a position of need relative to our needs.  I hope it a smoke screen, to facilitate a trade.

I tend to agree at #11. Fully guaranteed 20mil deal on him seems a ‘high risk’ selection to me. 

• Like 2

I am pounding the table.  Important point here, you cant coach intelligence into people.

11) Washington Commanders: Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame

It’s “overthink a prospect” season in the NFL. Kyle Hamilton is my top-rated player in the 2022 NFL Draft. At 6’4″ and 220 pounds, the Notre Dame product is a uniquely sized safety. He plays with disturbing physicality coming downhill, has the range to command the entire deep third, and has the length, intelligence, and ball skills to be impactful in coverage.

However, his slow NFL Combine and Notre Dame Pro Day 40-yard dash time has already cast doubt over Hamilton’s NFL Draft projection. Furthermore, a season-ending knee injury might cause concern for NFL teams. Throw in the age-old ridiculous debate about positional value and the Washington Commanders find themselves in a unique position to land the best player available at a position of need with the 11th pick of this 2022 NFL Mock Draft.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, I looked at the last 10 drafts, and found all the instances in which a team traded back in the draft order and received a future first round pick for their trouble. It happened 10 times in 10 years. To note, these trades do not involve players who were already in the league at the time.

• The Dolphins traded the third overall pick in 2021 (Trey Lance) to the 49ers for the 12th overall pick in 2021, first- and third-round picks in 2022, and a first-round pick in 2023.

• The Eagles traded the sixth overall pick in 2021 (Jaylen Waddle) and a fifth-round pick in 2021 to the Dolphins for the 12th overall pick in 2021, a fourth-round pick in 2021, and a first-round pick in 2022.

• The Giants traded the 11th overall pick in 2021 (Justin Fields) to the Bears for the 20th overall pick in 2021, a fourth-round pick in 2021, and a first-round pick in 2022.

• The Packers traded the 14th overall pick in 2018 (Marcus Davenport) to the Saints for the 27th overall pick in 2018, a fifth-round pick in 2018, and a first-round pick in 2019.

• The Bills traded the 10th overall pick in 2017 (Patrick Mahomes) to the Chiefs for the 27th overall pick in 2017, a third-round pick in 2017, and a first-round pick in 2018.

• The Browns traded the 12th overall pick in 2017 (Deshaun Watson) to the Texans for the 25th overall pick in 2017 and a first-round pick in 2018.

• The Titans traded the first overall pick in 2016 (Jared Goff), as well and fourth- and sixth-round picks in 2016 to the Rams for the 15th overall pick in 2016, second- and third-round picks in 2017, and first- and third-round picks in 2017.

• The Browns traded the second overall pick in 2016 (Carson Wentz) and a conditional fifth-round pick to the Eagles for the eighth overall pick in 2017, as well as third- and fourth-round picks in 2017, a first-round pick in 2017, and a second-round pick in 2018.

• The Browns traded the fourth overall pick in 2014 (Sammy Watkins) to the Bills for the ninth overall pick in 2014, as well as first- and fourth-round picks in 2015.

• The Rams traded the second overall pick in 2012 (Robert Griffin III) to Washington for the sixth overall pick in 2012, a second-round pick in 2012, and first-round picks both in 2013 and 2014.

Takeaways

• In half of the above instances, the team moving back originally held a top five pick. In seven of the 10 instances, the team moving back held a top 10 pick. In fact, the lowest pick that a team moved back from while still being able to acquire a future first-round pick was at 14th overall, in 2018. Of course, the first of the Eagles' three first-round picks is 15th overall.

• In seven of the 10 above instances, the team moving up targeted a quarterback. The entire impetus for moving back would be to score more picks in 2023 because the 2022 quarterback draft class isn't believed to be of high quality. Hence, logic would dictate that other teams won't be willing to mortgage their future by moving up for one in this draft. Maybe some team would move up for some other positional player, like the Saints' moronic trade for Marcus Davenport in 2018? Eh.

So to conclude, if you're hoping that the Eagles are able to trade back with one of their three first-round picks and score a first-round pick in 2023 in the process, it's possible, I suppose, if you can find some dumbass trade partner, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/recent-history-teams-trading-back-nfl-draft-and-acquiring-future-first-round-pick/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sebestian said:

Not sure I would draft Stingley either.  But it feels very different than Jamin Davis.  Jamin was/is a borderline elite athlete who showed some flashed with limited experience.  Also, I wouldn't rule out Jamin, will see about him. 

Stingley played as one of the top 5 players in college in 2019.  But then had allergy-illness, concussion, lisfranc injury -- intermixed with missing many games and a decline in play for the two years after.

I do think though Hamilton has a decent shot to be there at 11.  I disagree with the mock drafters who say he's the best player in the draft -- I like Hamilton a lot but I think some mock draft types are over the top about him and I do buy the report that teams aren't as high on him as the mock drafters are. 

Would Hamilton be a slam dunk pick for me at 11?  No.  But definitiely hot on the table for me if he's there. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So to conclude, if you're hoping that the Eagles are able to trade back with one of their three first-round picks and score a first-round pick in 2023 in the process, it's possible, I suppose, if you can find some dumbass trade partner, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Eagles are in an interesting spot. It was reported earlier that they wanted to trade out for an extra 1 in 2023. I also wondered if they would want to hand out 3 fully guaranteed first round contracts. Could they look to jump into the top 4 ? Willis maybe ? I’ll be very surprised if they remain in those 3 first round slots.

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Eagles are in an interesting spot. It was reported earlier that they wanted to trade out for an extra 1 in 2023. I also wondered if they would want to hand out 3 fully guaranteed first round contracts. Could they look to jump into the top 4 ? Willis maybe ? I’ll be very surprised if they remain in those 3 first round slots.

Roseman loves to wheel and deal so yeah them moving up or stacking the 2023 draft deck by trading down wouldn't surprise me.  He's not the hottest drafter in the NFL, IMO mediocre at it.  But he's IMO the best wheeler and dealer trader in the NFL -- Bruce back in his day the worst IMO. 

• Like 2