Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

Maybe it's  just me, but I doubt Willis goes that high. Teams overvalue QBs all the time, but that seems like a reach

The point of the conversation is that if the Steelers really want Willis, they have to get in front of the Falcons, Panthers and Seattle. So if they think he's their guy, either they move in front of them or sit at 20, because after Seattle nobody is really a threat to take him. Maybe the Saints. Maybe the Texans, but I doubt it.

Once Willis clears the top 10, he'll slide right to them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/04/nfl-draft-top-10-trade-fmia-peter-king/

This mock has Sauce, Hamilton, Lloyd, and every WR falling to 11. Would be super interesting to see what we do. 

Sauce is going 4th but everyone else would be available.

Would be a dream trade down scenario. Recoup a pick and still land either Hamilton or a WR.

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Sauce is going 4th but everyone else would be available.

Would be a dream trade down scenario. Recoup a pick and still land either Hamilton or a WR.

Depends on how far down we trade. I also doubt many teams would be willing to give up a ton to move up for a S or WR unless it was a guy who was simply an out of this world prospect. Some thought Hamilton was that, but his mediocre 40 time probably tamped that down a bit.

IMO if you're at 11 and your top graded player is there you don't get cute, you just take him.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Depends on how far down we trade. I also doubt many teams would be willing to give up a ton to move up for a S or WR unless it was a guy who was simply an out of this world prospect. Some thought Hamilton was that, but his mediocre 40 time probably tamped that down a bit.

IMO if you're at 11 and your top graded player is there you don't get cute, you just take him.

Maybe a little cute...like a 1st for next year too level cute. I can take that level cute. But not like Dot Warner cute. That's too cute. 

For those who care about Mr Kippers assessments…

5. Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame

HT: 6-4 | WT: 219 | Previously: 3

Hamilton played in only seven games in 2021, as he injured his right knee against USC in late October and didn't return. There aren't many safeties with Hamilton's size and speed, and he was one of the most versatile defenders in the country in college. He had two interceptions against Florida State and added another in the win over Purdue. He had eight total in his career. Hamilton has the size to move up to the line of scrimmage and help in the running game and the speed and range to cover pass-catchers out of the slot. He's exactly what NFL teams want in their first-round safeties.

If the qbs don’t go early, I wonder if we see any of the early 2nd round teams move back into the 1st.  I could see the Lions or Seahawks (2 early 2nd round picks), possibly even Atlanta/Houston taking their top 10 prospect in the 1st and subsequently moving up with their next pick.

As for the Steelers and Willis, yes, they don’t face much competition for a qb of the teams from 10-20, but they do have Tennesse (26), Detroit (32) as well as the aforementioned early 2nd round teams behind them. I’d still put better odds on them not moving (and far lower odds they move to 11), but I guess you never know…. As others have said, our best bet (albeit unlikely) is probably moving back 1-3 spots.

23 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If Hamilton and Gardner are there you take them. The others trade down wiyh Baltimore, Texans, and Minn all want same players. Get the 3rd back or more then draft the Utah LB or Wr.

This is basically my thought process as well, but I'd be willing to take Olave at 11. I just like him that much.

18 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

You think we could drop 2 to 3 spots and get him? 

I think we could drop down to 14 swapping picks with Baltimore and get him, assuming the Ravens take Stingley. VIkings for sure at 12 won't take WR. Texans could, but I think they might prefer London(pure assumption I have nothing to base this off of).

The report on Jameson Williams makes me want him as the 2nd wideout with Samuel in the slot. If Logan Thomas gets back we have an offense with as many weapons as any team in the NFL when counting Gibson and McKissic. There are only so many ways a defense can play that lineup. I know Williams is coming off an injury but he seems like a stud to insert with the other playmakers. Sims and Brown round out a nice, young WR group. 

Go defense with the rest of the draft. Gotta find a LB in free agency or hope a good one drops to us in round 2. 

• Like 2

Just now, clskinsfan said:

He is all that. And I hope he falls to 11. He is the safest pick in this draft. 

He's a really good prospect, but IMO he's not the insane unicorn that some are making him out to be (ala Pitts at TE last year). IIRC his grade in deep coverage wasn't very good... though I'd ask @Skinsinparadise to keep me honest on that one. That's probably the result of his mediocre top end speed.

I think he'd be fantastic as a SS or buffalo nickel kind of guy who can roam closer to the box and lock down slot receivers and TEs but I wouldn't be a big fan of trying to put him as a cover 1 FS who has the whole back end of the field; I just don't think he has the speed for it. I think he'd also be great in quarters or cover 3.

• Like 1

I'll say this much, Hamilton is becoming a hot pick at 11.  It used to be an outlier.  Now, I'd say I think I see Hamilton more at 11 then I do before 11 in mocks. 
11. NFL Team Logo for Commanders Washington Commanders: Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame

The Commies cut Landon Collins and could use a safety upgrade. Landing Hamilton outside of the top 10 is a solid value for Washington.

The 6-foot-4, 216-pound Hamilton is a dynamic playmaker and difference maker. He has phenomenal size, speed, and ball skills. Hamilton's size and speed make him a highly impactful run defender who flies downhill and is capable of being the eighth man in the box.

Some pro sources think Hamilton should move to linebacker in the NFL because Hamilton is straight line and does not have safety instincts. They feel because he misses some tackles in space and isn't great in man-to-man coverage, and that could be covered at linebacker. He is also taller than teams want in safeties.

Hamilton recorded 31 tackles, three interceptions and three passes defended in 2021. He missed the last five games of the year due to a knee injury suffered while tackling USC's Drake London. Hamilton totaled 56 tackles, an interception and six passes broken up in 2020. He put together an excellent freshman season for Notre Dame, showing good ball skills with four interceptions and six passes broken up to go along with 41 tackles.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mistertim said:

He's a really good prospect, but IMO he's not the insane unicorn that some are making him out to be (ala Pitts at TE last year). IIRC his grade in deep coverage wasn't very good... though I'd ask @Skinsinparadise to keep me honest on that one. That's probably the result of his mediocre top end speed.

I think he'd be fantastic as a SS or buffalo nickel kind of guy who can roam closer to the box and lock down slot receivers and TEs but I wouldn't be a big fan of trying to put him as a cover 1 FS who has the whole back end of the field; I just don't think he has the speed for it. I think he'd also be great in quarters or cover 3.

This is coming from the dude who wanted to break my TV when they passed over Derwin James to take Daron Payne, while I am ok with taking Hamilton at 11 to me its not a no brainer IMO versus trading down, taking Lloyd, taking London or Wilson.  For me, I'd wrestle over the decision but I certainly wouldn't hate taking Hamilton at 11, I'd like it.

I am not a Hamilton hater. He reminds me of a bigger version of Moherig who I really dug last draft and Moherig had a good rookie year.  My issue with Hamilton is I don't see him as this transcedent safety that some mock drafters do, or see him as the best player in this draft -- to me that's hyperbole.  I think him falling to our pick makes more sense to me than him going #2 or #3 which I've seen in some mocks.  10-14 range IMO feels right for him.  1-5 to me is too early.  As for him going: 6-10, maybe.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think Metcalf but IMO he and Wan'dale Robinson are the most sleeped on 3rd round types in this draft.  I'd say Calvin Austin too but his hype seems to be building as the draft gets closer.

Yeah. I took Robinson at 71 in our ES draft for Chicago. I am curious to see how long he lasts for sure. 

I get the feeling this draft is wide open. I don't think anyone knows who is picking who.  The first pick is probably the Michigan de but you never know.I think someone will be available that we either take as a no brainer or we will have a chance to make a great trade down.

Edited by Redskins 2021

27 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I agree with a lot of this. He showed the ability to shut down a deep half of the field in college. And he never takes a bad angle either. He is also underrated in the box. He isnt going to crush you like Sean Taylor. He is a bit of an arm tackler. But I dont know how much of that is due to the new game of football. I think if he was playing in the 80's and 90's he would be taking peoples heads off. JMI though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is coming from the dude who wanted to break my TV when they passed over Derwin James to take Daron Payne, while I am ok with taking Hamilton at 11 to me its not a no brainer IMO versus trading down, taking Lloyd, taking London or Wilson.  For me, I'd wrestle over the decision but I certainly wouldn't hate taking Hamilton at 11, I'd like it.

I am not a Hamilton hater. He reminds me of a bigger version of Moherig who I really dug last draft and Moherig had a good rookie year.  My issue with Hamilton is I don't see him as this transcedent safety that some mock drafters do, or see him as the best player in this draft -- to me that's hyperbole.  I think him falling to our pick makes more sense to me than him going #2 or #3 which I've seen in some mocks.  10-14 range IMO feels right for him.  1-5 to me is too early.  As for him going: 6-10, maybe.  

Maybe in terms of being instinctive he reminds me of Moherig, but Moherig is much better in coverage. He’s kind of the back end version of Hamilton in that you can line him up all over and vary his coverage responsibilities, single high, drop down and cover the slot, 2 deep zone etc. Hamilton to me is almost the opposite of that. I think he may be the perfect buffalo nickel, but is that what I want at 11? 

And, I agree with you. I don’t think he’s a no brained at 11. Most safeties that come in and make a huge difference for their teams are coverage studs. How different is our overall team performance going to be adding a very good safety. I’m going to do-sign KDawg here and say that our overall team performance takes a much bigger leap adding a really good legit number 2 receiver and playing Samuel in the slot. 

And speaking of KDawg, I watched all of Howell’s pro day and it reminded me of KDawg. I’m not really looking for QB in the 2nd, but Howell would be a good value there. 

• Thanks 1