Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't mean the Reed stuff as a shot, Reed was an amazing player but couldn't stay healthy.  I know obviously Reed is a tight end.  But having watched Reed back a bunch of times its amazing to me how some of Drake's moves remind me of him.  The body language, the way they juke players, etc. Both players were really good basketball players and move in that mode. 

If he runs a 4.6 or better on Monday, he's my #1 WR.  If not, its Wilson. 

Oh, I took it as a big complement, not as a shot. Makes me excited for his potential if we draft him. I’ve been trying to find a more detailed description of his injury than, “ankle fracture”. Can anybody find one?

Also, I missed Leo Chenal’s pro day. It’s funny to be disappointed by 34 reps of 225. Still, I look at Chenal and wonder if he might be Jeremiah Trotter. Chenal would have been soooo good as an 80’s LB. 

https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/platform/amp/2022/3/10/22970706/wisconsin-badgers-football-nfl-draft-combine-pro-day-recap-leo-chenal-jack-sanborn-faion-hicks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Cooper Kupp ran a 4.62 and had a 31 inch vert and 116 inch broad. And no, I’m not comparing Olave to Kupp or saying that he will be comparably good. 

I do think I’ve figured out my Olave comp. It’s Calvin Ridley. Their height/weight/arm length/vertical line up almost exactly and Olave’s broad was 14” better. Both were very productive collegiate receivers, consistent over multiple years, and solid route runners. 

Olave/Ridley: height 6’0”/6’0.5”   weight 187/189   arm span 31 1/8”/31 5/8” forty 4.39/4.43. Vertical 32”/31” broad jump 124”/110”. 

I could easily see Olave having a Ridley like career, especially initially. Hit the ground running and peak at a borderline pro bowl, but not all pro level. 

Story of this past season.  Kupp ran janky, tore his ACL, then in the rehab process the trainers were like "how you're running is whack, you should run this way".  Kupp is supposedly faster now than when he was drafted.  As how he was striding, hitting the ground with his feet, etc all got reworked.

Given his impressive recent season where he's actually got breakaway speed while carrying the ball, that story seems true.  He looks faster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

McLaurin is faster, more explosive, stronger, and more heavily built. I don’t see Olave being the contested catch monster or the YAC guy that Terry is. I could see peak Olave, in Washington, putting up similar numbers to Terry’s, but only because our QB is upgraded and he would playing across from Terry. 

All of this is obviously speculative. But I stand by the Calvin Ridley comp. 

Lance Zierlein from Chris Olave Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com compares Olave to Terry M.. 

48 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Lance Zierlein from Chris Olave Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com compares Olave to Terry M.. 

But he doesn't say why. I really don't see how someone can watch a guy who's as explosive and so great at breaking tackles and making guys miss as Terry and then compare him to a guy who's not very explosive and has virtually zero YAC game at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Also, I missed Leo Chenal’s pro day. It’s funny to be disappointed by 34 reps of 225. Still, I look at Chenal and wonder if he might be Jeremiah Trotter. Chenal would have been soooo good as an 80’s LB. 

https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/platform/amp/2022/3/10/22970706/wisconsin-badgers-football-nfl-draft-combine-pro-day-recap-leo-chenal-jack-sanborn-faion-hicks

I get the point.  Trotter was a good athlete for his size, but i don't think Chenal level athlete.

the reason why I don't say Chenal is all old school is his pass rush.  8 sacks.  Highest pass rush grade from PFF for inside LBs.

Chenal though in coverage is a mystery.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get the point.  Trotter was a good athlete for his size, but i don't think Chenal level athlete.

the reason why I don't say Chenal is all old school is his pass rush.  8 sacks.  Highest pass rush greade from PFF for inside LBs.

Chenal though in coverage is a mystery.  

Seems like Chenal is the Sam Cosmi of LBs. Ludicrous athletic specimen who might drop a bit due to some questions about other aspects of his game. I think he could be a steal in the 2nd. I'd love a draft with Wilson or London at 11 and Chenal in the 2nd.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

12 hours ago, mistertim said:

But he doesn't say why. I really don't see how someone can watch a guy who's as explosive and so great at breaking tackles and making guys miss as Terry and then compare him to a guy who's not very explosive and has virtually zero YAC game at all.

I think the comparison would be they are both good route runners with speed in the high 4.3's.  But there are differences and you point them out.

4-Round 2022 NFL Mock Draft: Pittsburgh Steelers shoot up the board to snag Malik Willis (profootballnetwork.com)

Another mock draft has us taking Hamilton.  He is going to fall right into our laps.

New goals as of April 3 2022.

A, Johnson (FA) or L Collins (FA)

K. Hamilton (draft)

2nd Rd WR. Dream C. Watson, if not best available or trade down to get 3rd third this year.

• Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, mistertim said:

Seems like Chenal is the Sam Cosmi of LBs. Ludicrous athletic specimen who might drop a bit due to some questions about other aspects of his game. I think he could be a steal in the 2nd. I'd love a draft with Wilson or London at 11 and Chenal in the 2nd.

Watch tape of Chenal.  The strength and power shows up on tape, but he looks stiffer and a bit flat footed than his athletic testing would suggest.

Saw a rumor that he played college ball at 265, then shed weight down to 250 for the testing, which is why his numbers look better than his movement on tape.  And why his bench is 6 (or 7?) reps off his supposed record. 

So he's a bit of a riddle.

Edited by Always A Commander Never A Captain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chenal IMO looks fast and powerful moving forward. Both as far as blitzing and playing in the box.  Him blowing up the combine wasn't some out of the blue, where is this coming from type of drill.   It might have surprised some how insanely good it was but most were expecting it to be good.  He made Feldman's freak list before the season started.

His recognition skills IMO are really good and he blows up blockers better than any player I can recall watching in a long time.   He doesn't just shed blocks but blows them up at times.  A lot of fun.  Tone setter. It's pretty rare to see teams line up TWO blockers to deal with an incoming blitzing LB but you see that from time to time versus him.

As I mentioned when I reviewed him months back, Chenal's weakness is he looks a bit stiff when he backpeddles in coverage.  And you didn't really see him in coverage much period.  So he's a bit of a mystery there, but I am not saying definitiely he can't do it.

The way i see it is he's the bigger, faster, badder version of Nick Bolton who some shut down as too old school for the league.  If Bolton can hit the ground running why not Chenal?

If we are talking 2nd-3rd round prospects name one projected to go there who is the perfect prospect with no flaws?  It comes with the turf that you are going to have prospects who aren't perfectly well rounded and great at everything -- if they were the model of perfection or close enough they'd be going in the top half of the first.  

Good summary below from PFF

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pros-and-cons-top-5-linebackers-2022-nfl-draft-devin-lloyd-nakobe-dean

3. LEO CHENAL, WISCONSIN BADGERS

PFF Big Board Rank: 35

PROS:
  • Chenal is one of the best take-on linebackers in the country. Offensive linemen go backward when he makes contact.
  • The former Badger has a unique size for the position. He holds 250-plus pounds easily.
  • He's light on his feet laterally for a bigger linebacker. He can mirror a running back in space.
CONS:
  • He had a very limited coverage role at Wisconsin. He did a little more than follow the opposing quarterback's eyes.
  • Chenal has a tendency to play high in space. Can take a bit to get going at his size.
  • Wisconsin's scheme allowed him some considerable freedom in the run game.

Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 9.50.31 AM.png

• Like 5

So I think there is a good chance the top 10 plays out like this:

1. Jags-Aidan Hutchinson

2. Lions-Travon Walker

3. Texans-Ikem Ewkonu 

4. Jets-Kayvon Thibodeaux

5. Giants-Evan Neal

6. Panthers-Kenny Pickett

7. Giants-Jermaine Johnson

8. Falcons-Garret Wilson

9. Seahawks-Ahmad Gardner

10. Jets-Kyle Hamilton

We'd have options at 11 for sure even though the big guns we'd want all got taken 8-9-10. Best case would still be to move down with the Ravens at 14. They'll be targetting Linderbaum, who the Vikings at 12 also would want. Lets say we swap and get a 3rd.

11. Ravens-Trevor Linderbaum

12. Vikings-Derek Stingley

Texans take either Drake London or Chris Olave. We take whoever is left. So we still address our need for another weapon for Wentz while recouping our 3rd rounder.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

1. Jags-Aidan Hutchinson

2. Lions-Travon Walker

3. Texans-Ikem Ewkonu 

5. Giants-Evan Neal

8. Falcons-Garret Wilson

10. Jets-Kyle Hamilton

We'd have options at 11 for sure even though the big guns we'd want all got taken 8-9-10. Best case would still be to move down with the Ravens at 14. They'll be targetting Linderbaum, who the Vikings at 12 also would want. Lets say we swap and get a 3rd.

Texans take either Drake London or Chris Olave. We take whoever is left. So we still address our need for another weapon for Wentz while recouping our 3rd rounder.

If top 10 go Iike that then move down is hood move.

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

1. Jags-Aidan Hutchinson

2. Lions-Travon Walker

3. Texans-Ikem Ewkonu 

5. Giants-Evan Neal

8. Falcons-Garret Wilson

10. Jets-Kyle Hamilton

I can't see the Ravens moving up for TL. Maybe for one of the DBs, but not a center. I was on one of their boards the other day and basically everyone online agreed that TL would be a fine pick if they traded down. And almost everyone on their board loves either Stingley or Davis at 14 or with a small move up. The story about Yanda giving his approval of TL is interesting, but I just don't see it happening. Would it be awesome to pick up some of their extra picks and move to 14. Great spot for one of the WRs or MLBs. 

14 minutes ago, duffy said:

I can't see the Ravens moving up for TL. Maybe for one of the DBs, but not a center. I was on one of their boards the other day and basically everyone online agreed that TL would be a fine pick if they traded down. And almost everyone on their board loves either Stingley or Davis at 14 or with a small move up. The story about Yanda giving his approval of TL is interesting, but I just don't see it happening. Would it be awesome to pick up some of their extra picks and move to 14. Great spot for one of the WRs or MLBs. 

Yeah perhaps they trade up for Stingley instead. It lines up nicely since their needs and the Vikings needs are the same so the incentive is there for the Ravens to move up.

Just now, Est.1974 said:

@Skinsinparadise so I’m guessing you are an advocate of drafting Kevin Austin later on day 3.....

lol, yep, he's on the table for me but not as the solution but as a flier type.  He's a bit of a project but in the later rounds I like to shoot for upside.  I couldn't find a lot to watch so I am projecting based on a short sample, combined with what I've read, his stats and athleticsm. 

Some are selling Doubs.  To me Kevin Austin is of that same brand but with more upside considering his elite athleticism.    From what I can see he is a contested catch guy who can get deep like Doubs and make some big catches but without mega seperation.

Played for a big school.  Last season:  18.7 YPC.  888 yards.  7 TDs.  And he's 6 '2.  With some sick measurements. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

yep, he's on the table for me but not as the solution but as a flier type.  He's a bit of a project but in the later rounds I like to shoot for upside.  I couldn't find a lot to watch so I am projecting based on a short sample, combined with what I've read, his stats and athleticsm. 

Agree. I spent a bit of time looking through the lower ‘ranked/projected’ receivers a couple of days back and he stood out to me as someone you would take a flier on later in the draft. 

56 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah perhaps they trade up for Stingley instead. It lines up nicely since their needs and the Vikings needs are the same so the incentive is there for the Ravens to move up.

What happens with Stingley is also so up in the air. He's mostly an unknown and is big time boom or bust. Amazing freshman year with 6 INT and 15 PDs, then injuries happened and has only played in 10 games the last 2 seasons with 0 INTs and 5 PDs. Any team that takes him will basically just be praying that he returns to freshman season form, but Lisfranc injuries tend to stick around so that's far from a foregone conclusion. 

I have a feeling that some teams will pick him if he falls to them but I have doubts that anyone would trade up for such an iffy prospect. But anything is possible.

Edited by mistertim

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

1. Jags-Aidan Hutchinson

2. Lions-Travon Walker

3. Texans-Ikem Ewkonu 

5. Giants-Evan Neal

8. Falcons-Garret Wilson

10. Jets-Kyle Hamilton

This is the trade down that I hope for, WH36!  :)  If they still think that Olave is there, they'd make trade but the Ravens have to be in love with a player to move up from #14 to #11 and give up their 3rd.  So let's hope that LInderbaum or another player is there at #11 that they'd want to make the move AND give up their 3rd round pick.  They may want to give up their 2nd 3rd rounder #100  and their 2nd 4th rounder #119.  It all depends but non the less it gives us a 3rd or a 3rd and extra 4th. :)  

I still think anyone trading up for a very good but undersized Center prospect is a pipe dream. 11 would be the highest a Center has ever been drafted. I'm sure there are teams who would take Linderbaum if he fell to them, but not give up extra draft capital to get him. IMO our biggest chance for a trade down is if a QB a team wanted fell to us at 11. That or something crazy like Thibs falling to us.

• Like 1