Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

So morning after, I am disappointed.   I really wanted Kyle Hamilton and when he fell to 11, I was thrilled.  This is a bit like last  year where I really like Christian Darrisaw and he ended up being available at the spot we drafted at (and Darrisaw ended up being worth the 19th pick last year as he had a good rookie year).  Hamilton seemed to be a great fit for us and I thought he was the beset player available at 11.  Wish we had not traded back.   At 16 I wanted Lloyd or Lindenbaum the best inside LB and best C in the draft in my opinion.  We got neither.  We got a  decent player in Dotson.  It seems like we have invested a lot at WR the past two offseasons with giving Curtis Samuels a lot of money to be a number 2 receiver, then using a 3rd rounder on Dyami Brown, now a first on Dotson.   This was all after we had our bona fide number 1 receiver so this is all trying to complement him.  It seems like this was admitting that the two moves last offseason failed.

• Thumb up 1

Looked at bunch of the draft grade reports and basically Washington is being given a B/C for Dotson. The weird thing is that in reading the reports they mention all strengths and really paint the picture of a top prospect. The only ding on him is size. 

If size is the only thing holding him back then I think he'll be fine. The league's passing rules these days don't allow DBs and WRs to really mix it up so speed and quickness matter more than size. Now, size helps in wrestling a ball away on a 50/50 ball or in breaking tackles, but at least at the college level Dotson showed he was slippery/tough enough to get YAC. So, I'm not sure how valid this knock on him is.

• Like 2

Just rewatched some Brisker and I’m less enthusiastic than at first glance...:ols: Do we reckon Nick Cross is a worth one of our 4th rounders. I’ve very tempted with McBride and then one of the top 5 RBs next 2 picks. Also trying to squeeze in Geodeke, Beavers and D. Mathis :ols:

Anyone else think if Ridder is there at 47 Ron will go for to ?

1 minute ago, philibusters said:

So morning after, I am disappointed.   I really wanted Kyle Hamilton and when he fell to 11, I was thrilled.  This is a bit like last  year where I really like Christian Darrisaw and he ended up being available at the spot we drafted at (and Darrisaw ended up being worth the 19th pick last year as he had a good rookie year).  Hamilton seemed to be a great fit for us and I thought he was the beset player available at 11.  Wish we had not traded back.   At 16 I wanted Lloyd or Lindenbaum the best inside LB and best C in the draft in my opinion.  We got neither.  We got a  decent player in Dotson.  It seems like we have invested a lot at WR the past two offseasons with giving Curtis Samuels a lot of money to be a number 2 receiver, then using a 3rd rounder on Dyami Brown, now a first on Dotson.   This was all after we had our bona fide number 1 receiver so this is all trying to complement him.  It seems like this was admitting that the two moves last offseason failed.

I'm not sure how well Hamilton would have fit with Del Rio. But yes, I get the angst there.

However, people saying we reached on Dotson... If we drafted Lloyd wouldn't that have been a reach given where he went? I wanted him, too, for what it's worth.

I think we got a better than decent player in Dotson. But yes, there was a little bit of an underwhelming vibe to the pick. But I'm NOT disappointed in Dotson. 

I do think this FO has trouble prioritizing and using assets at times. But you can't pick where you draft and if you're in a window for a guy you want you can't risk dropping back again after you already dropped back. 

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

Just rewatched some Brisker and I’m less enthusiastic than at first glance...:ols: Do we reckon Nick Cross is a worth one of our 4th rounders. I’ve very tempted with McBride and then one of the top 5 RBs next 2 picks. Also trying to squeeze in Geodeke, Beavers and D. Mathis :ols:

Anyone else think if Ridder is there at 47 Ron will go for to ?

Yeah, I'm not a big Brisker guy. I think he's extremely overrated.

2 minutes ago, philibusters said:

really wanted Kyle Hamilton and when he fell to 11, I was thrilled

Me too. He was the number one guy I wanted. In recent drafts there has been a guy who has fallen like Jonathan Allen and the fall is because the player isn't seen as an athletic freak. It's the opposite of the workout warrior, fast riser phenomenon. I think Hamilton will turn out to be a great safety.

I also think that Rivera was true to his word in pre-draft interviews. He insisted he needed to get talent to make Wentz better. That was his number one goal and so he went with need. I will say I am a fan of getting the third back. We've struck a bunch of gold recently in the third round. Hopefully, that continues.

• Like 2

Hamilton really is a strange case. Top 5 no brainer pick to drifting to the mid first. Will be interesting to see how his rookie year goes, that was a typical Ravens selection of the top ranked player irrespective of position or fit. They have a good enough track record for making that work to be fair.

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Hamilton really is a strange case. Top 5 no brainer pick to drifting to the mid first. Will be interesting to see how his rookie year goes, that was a typical Ravens selection of the top ranked player irrespective of position or fit. They have a good enough track record for making that work to be fair.

I actually think both Hamilton and Linderbaum are perfect fits and fill needs for Baltimore.

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I actually think both Hamilton and Linderbaum are perfect fits and fill needs for Baltimore.

Should have said ‘need’ not ‘fit’. Hamilton was as pure a BPA pick as you get. I’m sure he’d fit anywhere with a half decent coaching staff.

I’m on record as saying that I wanted Williams at 11 if he fell but there’s no way to know what his medical was like. 

I wasn’t as enamored with Kyle Hamilton as some here. I think he’s very talented but I don’t know if he’s the generational kinda player that some think he is. 

My biggest prize/favorite player in the draft is Kenneth Walker. I think adding him to this offense would do wonders. I love Hall as a prospect as well. I think either would look great in B&G.

I’m excited about Dotson. I love his talent and how he plays the game. 

Also…saying that a coach/player/draft pick is gonna fail in Washington is like predicting erosion. It’s super obvious, low hanging fruit. But the “Dotson sounds like Doctson” take is easily the stupidest line I’ve heard here and I’ve been a member for a while. Read more (a lot more…preferably books) and post less. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Brisker is Collins, but I'm strangely not excited by him. Can't see us going PSU B2B.

Agree, he's more of a strong safety but when I watched him he played a ton of coverage and didn't look lost on that front like Collins foes.

To my eyes better coverage guy than Collins but Collins is better in the box even though Brisker likely majors in box play in the pros.

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 7.01.58 AM.png

6 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Offensive players I like in the 2nd:

Hall, Walker, McBride, Parham

Defensive players:

Dean, Harris, Muma, Andersen, Tindall, Gordon, Booth, Brisker, Pitre, Travis Jones, Leon Hall, Winfrey

This is a good list!

I think they go offense only if it's RB Walker or Hall - caveat would be if they felt an OL could take a starting job from someone which I am not sure is possible in September.

Brisker has been a love/don't like guy around here. I am not a huge fan. I like Pitre over him and would be a sweet fit.

There should be a run on WR's early and we should get a good defensive player at 47. Dean or Booth would be incredible value if they fell to us

I am a little disappointed as I think dotson is 5-7 picks too early but can see why they picked him with packers and chiefs lurking. The tape is great, he catches everything, makes 50 50 balls look easy and looks quicker in game than his stats show. I think this a B grade but the trade picks with saints will hopefully be a home run and make up for this slight reach. I think we go te or rb in 2nd, lb or safety rd 3, ot or qb 4th but wouldnt be surprised if we trade down again.round 3 and 4 are stacked with talent

• Like 1

I was disappointed with this pick last night. I get he might be able to play outside but he is a slot receiver. Slot receivers, as good as they may turn out to be, don’t really get drafted in the first round. Some may argue Jeudy and Lamb but I don’t know that the original intention with either was to play them in the slot.

Last offseason and this offseason has made it very clear to me that this FO does not understand value as, say, the Eagles do and that is their fatal flaw and why they have to put out fires with trades like this. What I mean by that is giving up a 5th for a long snapper last year and a 3rd for Wentz this year and trying to recoup that value by trading down

We are going to look back at this first round with disgust that we passed on Williams for Dotson and a couple future low end starters/backups.

10 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Should have said ‘need’ not ‘fit’. Hamilton was as pure a BPA pick as you get. I’m sure he’d fit anywhere with a half decent coaching staff.

Hamilton’s fit is actually not quite as clean in a 3-4. Remember they just made Marcus Williams the highest paid S in the league and still have Chuck Clark. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Keim's podcast today

A.  He knew they liked Dotson (he mentioned it in several podcasts) 

B.  They liked Tyler Smith, hoped he'd be there at 47, they are dissappointed he went the first.

C.  They want to be able to run some 4 Wr sets, they didn't feel like they could do that last year

D.  Wasn't surprised they passed on Hamilton.  They weren't married to him.  They like Troy Anderson, Brisker and some other safeties and LBs who could fill the big nickel role

12 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

What round projections are there on receiver Kevin Austin ?

I'd guess 5th roundish

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim's podcast today

A.  He knew they liked Dotson (he mentioned it in several podcasts) 

B.  They liked Tyler Smith, hoped he'd be there at 47, they are dissappointed he went the first.

C.  They want to be able to run some 4 Wr sets, they didn't feel like they could do that last year

D.  Wasn't surprised they passed on Hamilton.  They weren't married to him.  They like Troy Anderson, Brisker and some other safeties and LBs who could fill the big nickel role

I'd guess 5th roundish

I think Andersen at #47 gets this board jazzed back up

Comrade RH morning after thoughts. Love the player but kinda meh that we decided against taking a swing at one of the consensus potential elites we all studied. And still think dropping 5 slots should have fetched better than what averaged out to 2 4.7 round picks. With all the trades yesterday feel like we could have traded back again and still gotten Doc so there was a feeling of desperation knowing he was expected to be a late first. It is what it is SPILT milk but again I do like the tape on Jahan but also see it as Dyami/Milne are now write offs. The same folks that loved Dyami... never mind.

I have a theory - draftniks love trading down and accumulating more picks to play around with, while average fans still bitter about trading back for Kerrigan - not so much.

1 minute ago, method man said:

I think Andersen at #47 gets this board jazzed back up

He's a tough one for me since I haven't been able to watch a single game.  I'd have to draft the mock drafter types and Logan Paulsen if they took me.  He's certain;y an athletic beast.

I don't dislike Brisker but I like Pitre over him.  Pitre among other things brings more pass rush. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

This is the fun part.

”Missed out on the top 4 WR”

I have him as WR4. 

And I really hope we go RB at 47 if Breece Hall is on the board, Kenny Walker, too. But Breece Hall is a legit specimen.

Yeah I get that, people don't see players similarly. I like Dotson as a player, but I am not 100% sure how much relative value he provides. Would have preferred someone who lines up outside primarily. I also generally preferred London, Wilson, Olave, Burks and Williams over him. But it's not that I find the pick catastrophic, I am happy we got WR help and you also never know how the players turn out anyways. I also liked that we picked up a couple of mid round picks but I think we passed on some clearly more talented players for that.

I think we need to add a RB but the opportunity cost is too high in the second round. I just can't get excited about spending a high draft pick on that position and that's a hill I am willing to die on.

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

Comrade RH morning after thoughts. Love the player but kinda meh that we decided against taking a swing at one of the consensus potential elites we all studied. And still think dropping 5 slots should have fetched better than what averaged out to 2 4.7 round picks. With all the trades yesterday feel like we could have traded back again and still gotten Doc so there was a feeling of desperation knowing he was expected to be a late first. It is what it is SPILT milk but again I do like the tape on Jahan but also see it as Dyami/Milne are now write offs. The same folks that loved Dyami... never mind.

I have a theory - draftniks love trading down and accumulating more picks to play around with, while average fans still bitter about trading back for Kerrigan - not so much.

Dyami isn't a write off.

As of now we have 4 receivers worth looking at.

McLaurin, Samuel, Dotson, Brown. They will be our 10 personnel receivers unless size is necessary and then it's Cam Sims.

Brown/McLaurin on the outsides, Dotson/Samuel on the inside. 

2 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Yeah I get that, people don't see players similarly. I like Dotson as a player, but I am not 100% sure how much relative value he provides. Would have preferred someone who lines up outside primarily. I also generally preferred London, Wilson, Olave, Burks and Williams over him. But it's not that I find the pick catastrophic, I am happy we got WR help and you also never know how the players turn out anyways. I also liked that we picked up a couple of mid round picks but I think we passed on some clearly more talented players for that.

I think we need to add a RB but the opportunity cost is too high in the second round. I just can't get excited about spending a high draft pick on that position and that's a hill I am willing to die on.

Everyone is entitled to opinions but we all have different ones.

I think the value for Hall or Walker in the second is through the roof.

Any other back at 47 is probably a mistake given Pearce and Robinson are still hanging around. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Dyami is much more raw IMO, hence went in the third round. 

Dotson was a star at Penn State, runs a much more complete route tree among other things.  Statisitically speaking most third round picks bust.  Nonetheless, apparently they still have hope in Dyami according to Keim, in the old days a WR not killing it in year 1 was how it typically works but these days some shine right out the gate. 

I don't know if I ever said it or not, I think I did, but listening to all the interviews post draft last year, Dyami to me was the least impressive one, not bad but he didn't come off as determined as some of the other dudes they drafted.   Dotson IMO is a real impressive dude -- personality wise.  Seems obsessed with being great.  I talked about for a couple weeks on this thread while watching the Hey Rookie series.   Typically the thing that kills ballyhooed prospects once they hit the league is work ethic.  Based on what I saw from Dotson, I don't think that will be a worry with him. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

My big board is... interesting... so far. Was really close on a bunch vs. draft position (granted my board is based on how good I think the players are, not where they are drafted)

We're not going to be able to extract any real meaning from our boards for years, until we know how good these guys end up being.  Our big misses are going to end up being that random fifth rounder who ends up a Hall of Famer that we didn't even put on our board, or that second round receiver who ends up being the best player at his position in the NFL that we had as like WR 12 in this class.  Stuff like that always happens.

• Like 2

Idc about his size. Dotson has great speed hands and route running and thats what matters. Prioritizing size gets you Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly over Jordy Nelson and Desean Jackson.

Dotson is a good player. I dont really hate the pick, just hate how we dont value assets well. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Dyami isn't a write off.

As of now we have 4 receivers worth looking at.

McLaurin, Samuel, Dotson, Brown. They will be our 10 personnel receivers unless size is necessary and then it's Cam Sims.

Brown/McLaurin on the outsides, Dotson/Samuel on the inside. 

If the first 15 (edit: meaning next 15 / first of 2nd round...) are heavy in LB, S, RB and QB would any of you guys double dip if Christian Watson was at 47?

With Dotson being more inside, it's something I think I would consider. 

Edited by CommDownMan
  • Like 1