Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

29 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Cameron Thomas from SD state came in for a visit. He’s likely a second rounder.  I also like Drake Jackson if they go that route.

I forgot about his visit, good call.  He's interesting because he is a 4 technique for their three man front, and I could see him getting bigger and rotating between end and IDL in the NFL.

They brought in Logan Hall too I think, and he might have some versatility to play end as well.  Winfrey is the other guy I remember them bringing in, and he is a natural three tech but he has the speed and range to play some end as well.

Seems like they want a tweener DL to play 3, 4 and 5 technique and were targeting guys with second round projections.  Winfrey could also be good as a 1 tech penetrator on passing downs.  Even met with Travon Walker I thinj, who flexes between an edge role and more of a 4 technique role.  But we didn't really bring in any guys who are pure wide edges like Bonitto or Jermaine Johnson or Mayfe as far as I know.  That tells me they're not looking for competition or depth for Montez and Chase.

Edit:  I notice they're also not bringing in any traditional noses like Jordan Davis or Travis Jones or Phidarian Mathis.  That's actually a surprising vote of confidence in Daron given his contract situation.  That tells me they are pretty confident they're going to get an extension worked out with him.

Edited by Going Commando
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

For you guys who are worried about all of the good WRs being gone before 47, there are probably 10 top 50 edges and 10 top 50 corners alone.  If you're thinking 10 receivers will go in that range too, then something is going to have to give.  We're not just going to have 20 guys from all of the other positions combined getting picked in the top 50.

It's almost conventional wisdom right now among mock drafters that anywhere from 6-8 WRs go in the first and there might be a another run at the beginning of the 2nd round.  Granted conventional mock draft wisdom could end up wrong and there are typically surprises.  But the thought process seems to be this an unusual draft in that more teams than usual want WRs.  

I do agree with you that there is a chance Metchie is there at 47.  I am not as smitten with Metchie as you are but I do like him.  He has very quick feet, sells his routes well, good hands.  I think he's best in the slot considering his size.  Looks like decent speed but not a burner.   But don't love him where I'd take him in spite of the ACL.  I'd want to know he can play this season.  To me he's not good enough to redshirt a season.  the other WR that I like (he's been one of my favorites as a third round type for a long time) who might still be there at 47 is Alec Pierce.   Maybe Calvin Austin is still there but I'd be surprised if he's their cup of tea.  I think that spot might be too high for others i like ala Wandale Robinson, Danny Gray, Khalil Shakir. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's almost conventional wisdom right now among mock drafters that anywhere from 6-8 WRs go in the first and there might be a another run at the beginning of the 2nd round.  Granted conventional mock draft wisdom could end up wrong and there are typically surprises.  But the thought process seems to be this an unusual draft in that more teams than usual want WRs.  

I do agree with you that there is a chance Metchie is there at 47.  I am not as smitten with Metchie as you are but I do like him.  He has very quick feet, sells his routes well, good hands.  I think he's best in the slot considering his size.  Looks like decent speed but not a burner.   But don't love him where I'd take him in psite of the ACL.  I'd want to know he can play this season.  To me he's not good enough to red shirt a season.  the other WR that I like (he's been one of my favorites as a third round type for a long time) who might still be there are 47 is Alec Pierce.    I think that spot might be too muchy for others i like ala Wandale Robinson, Danny Gray, Khalil Shakir. 

Agree. I think you’re going to see minimum 8 receivers gone in the first and 3-4 in the second. The difference in WR1-3 vs. WR12 may be nothing. Or it may be gigantic. I think receiver is the most susceptible to have major runs happening. 

Whereas I think there’s 5 EDGE that are first rounders, four corners (maybe 5), 3-4 OT, 1-2 IOL, 1-2 S, 1-3 QB, 3-4 DT, 0 TE, 0 RB, 1-4 LB.

there’s some range there but realistically WR is the position group that gets most pilfered early. Combination of beer (edit: autocorrect that I’m leaving in but this should say “need” not “beer”) and 5 year rookie deals. 

I have reservations on Watson, for instance, but I don’t think there’s a snowball’s chance in hell he’s on the board at 47. Too much upside. Late 1st-early second. Metchie could be there. But we’ll see.

I don’t love the idea of passing on Hall/Walker if they are on the board at 47 for WR12.

Edited by KDawg

31 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I forgot about his visit, good call.  He's interesting because he is a 4 technique for their three man front, and I could see him getting bigger and rotating between end and IDL in the NFL.

They brought in Logan Hall too I think, and he might have some versatility to play end as well.  Winfrey is the other guy I remember them bringing in, and he is a natural three tech but he has the speed and range to play some end as well.

Seems like they want a tweener DL to play 3, 4 and 5 technique and were targeting guys with second round projections.  Winfrey could also be good as a 1 tech penetrator on passing downs.  Even met with Travon Walker I thinj, who flexes between an edge role and more of a 4 technique role.  But we didn't really bring in any guys who are pure wide edges like Bonitto or Jermaine Johnson or Mayfe as far as I know.  That tells me they're not looking for competition or depth for Montez and Chase.

Edit:  I notice they're also not bringing in any traditional noses like Jordan Davis or Travis Jones or Phidarian Mathis.  That's actually a surprising vote of confidence in Daron given his contract situation.  That tells me they are pretty confident they're going to get an extension worked out with him.

It's odd, right? Allen does well when occasionally moved to end. Iaon did too. Great role for them. We brought in a back up for that spot and let Paynes back up go. Not that Payne really has a back up, since they just let him play almost every play.

I totally get the investing in the strength of the team, which our Dline should definitely be. Obviously didn't like Settle much judging from Paynes snap counts. If we throw a big contract at Payne this year and he produces the way Allen did, that's fantastic, but it won't happen with him taking every snap.

20 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t love the idea of passing on Hall/Walker if they are on the board at 47 for WR12.

Yeah me too. 

That's part of it for me.  i am not so sold that at 47, the value of WR will be that hot.  It could be but its a major wildcard. 

20 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I have reservations on Watson, for instance, but I don’t think there’s a snowball’s chance in hell he’s on the board at 47. Too much upside. Late 1st-early second. Metchie could be there. But we’ll see.

I would be a little surprised if Metchie goes before our pick.  Not that Brugler is the be all and and all but just looked at his guide, he ranks him as a third rounder.   PFF also ranks him as a third rounder.  For me, I put him in the mid 2nd round.  If he were healthy, early 2nd, maybe late first.  He's 5 '11, 185 pounds, I am guessing 4.5 speed at best, with some of the shortish arms in this class, small hands, etc -- to me his traits scream slot WR.  He's a very sound route runner and gets open quickly especially underneath but he doesn't scream first rounder to me. 

If I recall he had the highest % by a good margin in this group as for his catches coming on screens.   i think he can be a good #2 but I'd be surprised that he is a surprise riser in this group.  I know some say he's healing fast.  But i wonder sometimes how accurate that is -- its pretty rare not to hear that a player is healing faster than usual.  The player's agent like to spread that especially before the draft in part I presume because the higher they are picked the more they get paid.

I think a surprise riser likely could be a player I love and I know you do in Calvin Austin.  Seems like most mock drafters think he goes in the third.  I think he can go early 2nd.  If he were bigger than 5 '7, 170 pound, he'd be in the first IMO.   I'd love if Skyy Moore is there at 47 but I think he will be gone. 

I don't think I'd take Tolbert there.  i am not one of the bigger Pickens guys here.  I might take Pierce but I'd rather have one of the RBs.   I am a big Wandle Robinson guy but I see him in the 3rd-4th.  I like Shakir but that's too early for me to take him there.

I want to see a WR, TE, then defense and OL. We don't need to waste a draft pick on a QB when we can get one undrafted for the practice squad/camp arm. 

The league is going big on scoring on offense. We need to focus on that now that we have a QB with some talent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a feeling our draft spots won’t line up for this one without a trade back, but have we been connected to Skyy Moore at all? Big fan here if he somehow gets lost in the wash of this WR class and is a surprise faller into the mid rounds (don’t see it happening, he feels like a 2nd rounder to me—but you never know with how many WRs slated to go in the first couple rounds and the way every team ranks them differently, somebody has to fall and become a value unless this is going to become a historically overdrafted WR class on the whole). This applies to Wan’Dale as well, maybe (but probably not) Calvin Austin too in terms of guys who feel like they shouldn’t slip into the mid rounds…but something has to give at such a deep position, right? 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

39 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Rankings 2.0.

I'm sure it'll change again by Thursday. Probably 4-5 times. Some big changes, tbh. 

Watching more and more of these guys to back up my opinions and some things changed.

image.thumb.png.a11d11906901b583020436923f64c216.png

image.thumb.png.493da35d08072420e26316f744ea4052.png

You have a bunch of the guys i like, some of my offbeat choices really high so in that regard we are really close.  But got some similarites but also big differences at safety, hybrid, OT, and LB.   I am still sorting mine that's why I haven't posted it yet.  i really trying to go to town on the O line after putting hardly any work in that spot earlier. 

• Like 1

I am thoroughly confused by some of you who want to go defense early in this draft. I get that there are some good players on defense that would fit nicely but have you seen our offense? I think Wentz should be solid but he had arguably the best running back in football last year and the Colts were not an offensive juggernaut because they only had Pittman. TY was nonexistent and Parris Campbell stinks. Their receivers were so bad Mo Allie Cox looked like a pro bowler. 

Terry is our only skilled player. Period! Gibson is fine as our lead back but how often have you seen his 4.39 speed on display.  JD can be an impactful player but taking it to the house on swing passes are few and far between. Sure maybe Samuels bounces back but he has never had a 1000 yard receiving season in his career.  Maybe Brown improves in his second year and he was hurt but he had a whopping12 catches in 15 games last year.  Logan is coming off an injury and is over 30 years old. Tell me please is this the type of offense that keeps defensive coordinators up at night let alone put up 25+ points consistently?  

Earlier I was up for taking Hamilton but we really need to fix our offense more than our defense.  Maybe no one is going to be Tyreek Hill but we need take chances to potentially find one. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 5

Caught up with Sheehan's podcast.  He started it by saying what he's heard.  Sheehan doesn't report much but when he does he's often on the money.

A.  Some key higher ups in that FO -- are very high on Drake London with clear seperation over the next WR on their board.   

B.  They also like Williams, Olave, Wilson, Dotson

C.  He doesn't know if they like London over Hamilton, he suspects they'd take Hamilton over London but that's just a guess. 

D.  They really dig the top 3 O lineman of this draft, so if one slips to 11 its on the table (Keim has been saying the same thing)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I want Walker more if we take a WR in round 1. I know it sounds weird but if were gonna go offense lets REALLY go offense. The more weapons you have the more dangerous the next one becomes. Lets load up and be stacked at multiple positions. If we go WR and RB we could potentially be 5 deep at WR and 3 deep at RB. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

Im not high on Dotson at all. Feels way too similar to what we have here. 

I gave Dotson another watch today and I really liked him. I don’t know if my frame of mind was different last time I watched or what but he is a slippery guy that finds holes in zones. He’s a less explosive and more slippery Chris Olave.

But, to the point that he’s not different than what we have, I agree.

He’s not a guy I target. But if we don’t go receiver first and by some strange miracle he’s there at 47 he has to be considered. But he won’t be. I think he goes in the back end of 1.

21 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Is this a new thing? I haven’t noticed you mentioning drafting a RB this draft in the last month or so…

Try the last year. I wanted Najee.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You have a bunch of the guys i like, some of my offbeat choices really high so in that regard we are really close.  But got some similarites but also big differences at safety, hybrid, OT, and LB.   I am still sorting mine that's why I haven't posted it yet.  i really trying to go to town on the O line after putting hardly any work in that spot earlier. 

Dax Hill likely winds up above Pitre. I actually thought I had it that way until I just now looked.

OT I struggle with Ekwonu. I think he has poor balance at the second level and his hand placement is bad. But he’s powerful and strong.

• Like 1

This is how I think it plays out IF we don't trade down and RR and Co. draft with the picks they have.  

*** I think Hamilton will be gone before we have the chance to select him. ***

#11:  Drake London, WR

#47:  Jaquan Brisker, FS

#113:  Joshua Ezeudu, G

#189:  Tyiron Davis- Price, RB

#230:  Jack Coan, QB, 

#240:  Austin Allen, TE, 

• Like 1