Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Caught up with Kiper's-McShay's latest podcast, then I also listened to one I missed.  Good stuff.

A.  They believe by the mid first London, Wilson are gone for sure, Olave probably.  There might be some scramble for some teams about the Wrs especially after those 3 go. 

B.   Chargers and Saints might try to leapfrog over each other for Penning who they think likely escapes the top 10

C.  Lloyd and Dean could end up late first or even early 2nd if they escape the Eagles and Patriots earlier on.  From what they are hearing those are the two teams who might go LB and outside of those 2 they think good shot no one grabs either player and they escape to the 2nd. 

D.  McShay loves Dean

E.  As far as teams being all over the map on players, they mentioned these 4 strike them teams are all over the map on:  Corral (best player on their board with one team to he's the 5th best QB to another team), C. Harris (anywhere from the 2nd to the 4th) Elam (late first to early third) and George Karlaftis -- mid first to some teams, 2nd round to others. 

F.  Concern about Jordan Davis that could have him drop is they believe his playing weight can easily balloon to 365 or so without the combine as a motivator, and he perhaps won't have the stamina to play many reps at that weight in the pros

G.  Some teams have Quay Walker rated ahead of Dean because of his traits, longer arms, might be faster-stronger

H.  Two sleepers they mention:  Thornton from Baylor, WR.  Who I know of but I haven't watched.  And Jason Poe, guard, who I never heard of who supposedly can also play fullback and is a mauler. 

Again, we sit in a sweet spot to trade down.  If we do and depending on how far I love me some Burks.  Some here might not but I do.  If we could trade down and get him say with #20, I'd be stoked!  Still think the plan all along with RR and Co. is Olave at #11.  There is a long way to go and a lot of jockeying will be done before and on draft night.  Can't wait.  :) 

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I think McLaurin's numbers will go up quite a bit with a legit WR next to him and an actual NFL QB. 

Maybe.

But if that happens, you think Olave is going to go for 1,100 and Terry 1,300? It's not impossible. But... That's lofty as hell. 

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean in 2019 we traded a 2019 2nd and 2020 2nd to move up for Montez Sweat around pick 25 ish. That's what I'm talking about. I'd gladly make a similar trade to get a LB like Lloyd or even a RB like Walker.

We made one trade there, though. Not three.

16 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not as worried about what Olave's individual numbers would be. His presence is a force multiplier and would make the entire offense better. Even if he's "only" an 1100-ish yard receiver, if it means McLaurin's #s go up and our running game is better because of the deep threat, its a worthwhile selection.

Until I see something that makes me think differently, Olave seems almost definite to me at #11.  I think Drake is taken by the Jets, possibly Atlanta.  If not, he might be in play for us.  

Edited by RWJ

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean in 2019 we traded a 2019 2nd and 2020 2nd to move up for Montez Sweat around pick 25 ish. That's what I'm talking about. I'd gladly make a similar trade to get a LB like Lloyd or even a RB like Walker.

Disagree strongly here... not wanting to trade any more 2023 picks... we are already down (likely) our 2nd in the Wentz deal alone

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

39 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Again, we sit in a sweet spot to trade down.  If we do and depending on how far I love me some Burks.  Some here might not but I do.  If we could trade down and get him say with #20, I'd be stoked!  Still think the plan all along with RR and Co. is Olave at #11.  There is a long way to go and a lot of jockeying will be done before and on draft night.  Can't wait.  :) 

Trade-downs are tough to orchestrate but this might be a year where we are well-positioned to move down a couple times. The first could simply be to 14 or 16 with Baltimore or New Orleans coming up for an OT. Then from 14 or 16 we could go down to 22 with Green Bay, or 29 with KC. Of course they'd be coming up for WRs (presumably) but they have tons of picks and other needs as well, so maybe it's for another position. Either way, that second trade-down will take you out of the mix for Olave potentially. But if this team likes the WR depth (they brought in Metchie, so that's a good sign), then they might be willing to take that risk.

I run about 10-20 mock drafts quickly on PFN simulator ... and there have been a few drafts where I did something along the lines of:

Trade from 11 to 14 for a 3rd.

Trade from 14 to 22 for a 2nd OR 14 to 28 for a 2nd and 3rd.

So end up with 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th. 7th. Still not enough picks to get a player at each position that we need, but I know after the draft there will be another round of FA to fill-in the gaps.

In the scenario where I'm at #22, Olave is there sometimes, but London and Burks are usually there.

Burks is sometimes there at 28, but in a lot of scenarios Lloyd and Dean as well as Brisker are there at 28 ... WR is a reach at that point, so I have gone defense and hit WR in R2 along with TE usually.

There are a few scenarios where I trade down to 14 or 16 and the BPA is Charles Cross or Trevor Penning. Long-term, those would be great picks and I wouldn't fault the team for making them. But hard to see spending a premier R1 pick on a position where you have two penciled-in starters, even if you plan to shift one of them to Guard. Would be curious to see how that plays out since we clearly want to add an OT given our TOp 30 visits.

26 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Disagree strongly here... not wanting to trade any more 2023 picks... we are already down (likely) our 2nd in the Wentz deal alone

If anything we should be considering adding back picks since we'll have lost a likely 2nd for Wentz. I know we will have the 3rd round comp pick for Scherff, but adding another 2nd or 3rd rounder next year would be good. I think any trade-down into the 20's should include a future 3rd at a minimum, on top of whatever pick we add in Round 2 or 3 this year.

Once you get into the 20's the compensation back would need to be 3 picks. Either 1-2-4 or 1-2-3 ... and some teams might not be willing to give up 3 picks in this draft, so I'd gladly take the upgraded round version of any of those picks next year.

20-52 and a 2023 3rd from Pittsburgh is an even-swap ... and it would give us 1-3-3-3 next year. While not having a 2nd would suck, having a trio of 3rds would be really attractive.

It sounds like we want one of the OT to slip out of top 10 in order to move are pick. Any chance we would just take the OT who slipped?

On a move down I like Burks his 40 time was bad but he played great in the SEC. The Wr seem good this year not great.

Edited by Redskins 2021

My favorite trade down ideas are (assuming the following players in some order are gone in the top 10):  Hutch, Walker, Ekwonu, Gardner, Neal, Cross, KT, Johnson, Wilson, London would be:

Trade down one spot with Minnesota and pick up their 5th (#156).  Minny does it to ensure they get Stingley.

Trade down with Baltimore to 14 and get a 4th (#110).  Baltimore does it to ensure they get Penning.

We are assured to get one of Hamilton, Lloyd, or Olave at 14.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

43 minutes ago, KDawg said:

FLOOR?!

You are brave.

1100ish is Terry. Are we really thinking Olave is as good as Terry? That's wild. 

Playing devil’s advocate here - 

Wentz is far, far more adept in the deep passing game than anyone we’ve had (ie, Terry’s numbers could jump)

Fair to guess that Wentz will dump the ball off far less than his predecessors 

I think Terry is going to still pull bracket/double coverage

Believing Olave’s ceiling is slightly better than Terry’s best season (to this point) isn’t necessarily the same as saying Olave is better.  Terry’s ceiling is… well, who knows.  Almost certainly not in that tier of top receivers ever (Calvin Johnson, Moss, Julio Jones, etc.), but maybe not all that far off either.  Of course, the odds of either receiver truly hitting their ceiling is low. 

I agree though that 1200 for Olave is certainly very optimistic.  I think the duo could be similar to Garçon and Jackson for us (productivity-wise, not stylistically obviously) - each getting 1000.  My guess for this year though would be 800+ for Olave and 1100+ for Terry, unless Samuel or Brown is put in the #2 role of course.

I’ll add that Terry is clearly a better receiver, but a large part of that (as best as I can tell) is his contested catch ability, along with his blocking, play strength and his leadership/attitude.  Route running, speed and fluidity seem fairly comparable between the two though (I could be off base here though).  Wentz’s style (as opposed to Fitzpatrick trusting his guys in 1v1 or Henicke getting the ball there late) probably fits those comparable attributes pretty well.

On a separate note, IIRC you said earlier you don’t see Hill as a fit for us?  Would you mind explaining that?  From my perspective, he doesn’t help directly help our hole at the flex position, but if Curl can play there, Hill’s an interesting piece that could cover the slot, come downhill in a hurry (particularly on outside plays), and give us speed in 2 deep, cover 3 and quarters.  That’s a pretty light group vs the run though…  Anyway, just curious to get your take.

18 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Believe this was from the context of trading down in the 1st, and I assume picking up a 2023 2nd, then using that to move up.  So essentially our 2023 draft stays as it is now.

2 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Playing devil’s advocate here - 

Wentz is far, far more adept in the deep passing game than anyone we’ve had (ie, Terry’s numbers could jump)

Fair to guess that Wentz will dump the ball off far less than his predecessors 

I think Terry is going to still pull bracket/double coverage

Believing Olave’s ceiling is slightly better than Terry’s best season (to this point) isn’t necessarily the same as saying Olave is better.  Terry’s ceiling is… well, who knows.  Almost certainly not in that tier of top receivers ever (Calvin Johnson, Moss, Julio Jones, etc.), but maybe not all that far off either.  Of course, the odds of either receiver truly hitting their ceiling is low. 

I agree though that 1200 for Olave is certainly very optimistic.  I think the duo could be similar to Garçon and Jackson for us (productivity-wise, not stylistically obviously) - each getting 1000.  My guess for this year though would be 800+ for Olave and 1100+ for Terry, unless Samuel or Brown is put in the #2 role of course.

I’ll add that Terry is clearly a better receiver, but a large part of that (as best as I can tell) is his contested catch ability, along with his blocking, play strength and his leadership/attitude.  Route running, speed and fluidity seem fairly comparable between the two though (I could be off base here though).  Wentz’s style (as opposed to Fitzpatrick trusting his guys in 1v1 or Henicke getting the ball there late) probably fits those comparable attributes pretty well.

On a separate note, IIRC you said earlier you don’t see Hill as a fit for us?  Would you mind explaining that?  From my perspective, he doesn’t help directly help our hole at the flex position, but if Curl can play there, Hill’s an interesting piece that could cover the slot, come downhill in a hurry (particularly on outside plays), and give us speed in 2 deep, cover 3

I did not say Hill isn't a fit for us so I can't explain that position that someone else took :)

Also, to respond to your devil's advocate:

Wentz likes to dump the ball off to his tight ends. Which for this offense can also be the backs and slots.

Saying Olave is going to go for 1200 and Terry for more than that is wild. Can it happen? Sure. But saying that's the floor is a bit...

Well, it's very optimistic. 

So far Terry hasn't eclipsed 1200 yards. Yes, his quarterbacks have been suboptimal. Agreed. But he has been virtually our only receiving weapon and with 87 receptions piqued at around 1200. 

Thinking that not only will Terry surpass his best season (which I think is the more possible of the scenarios) but Olave will ALSO surpass McLaurin's best season is a VERY lofty expectation.

My expectation for Drake London is 60/900 as a rookie here. Give or take a few on both ends. Expectation for Olave is 45/800. Calvin Austin 35//750.

I made those up, obviously, but that's where I expect them to be with Terry around the 100/1250-1300 range.

• Like 1

Terry McLaurin is always ****ing open. Always. He can get past any coverage that we face and now we have a QB who can flick it 40 yards and hit him in stride with no problems. I'll be shocked if TMac isn't averaging over 88 yards a game. Kids gonna absolutely explode this season. Fire up the F1, cause he's gonna absolutely fly. It doesn't even matter if we put another WR next to him.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Terry McLaurin is always ****ing open. Always. He can get past any coverage that we face and now we have a QB who can flick it 40 yards and hit him in stride with no problems. I'll be shocked if TMac isn't averaging over 88 yards a game. Kids gonna absolutely explode this season. Fire up the F1, cause he's gonna absolutely fly. It doesn't even matter if we put another WR next to him.

I will be drafting Terry McLarin in a ton of fantasy leagues this year. And he should be coming at a fairly discounted price. He has a chance to be drafted as a WR15 range in fantasy but produce Top 5 if he and Wentz click. And barring any injury, you're basically getting him at his floor price.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 7:56 AM, KDawg said:

Ty Fryfogle.

6-3 205 but plays a lot bigger.

Don't know if this changes your opinion on him, but his height measured in at 6'1 and 1/8th. 

On 4/10/2022 at 9:18 AM, Est.1974 said:

Don’t know if this has been discussed, but does a player like Brisker have the skill set to fill that hybrid role we need to fill following Collins’ release ?

Looks like a great prospect to me, wondering how you best utilise him alongside Kam Curl.

I'm meh on Brisker.  His tackling technique has poor technique.  He's not the best at reading action through traffic in front of him so he misses RB's that bounce it wide on occasion.  His motor isn't hot, it's normal.  He's not a bad prospect, he's solid in many areas.  But I don't think he's flashing exceptional growth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Don't know if this changes your opinion on him, but his height measured in at 6'1 and 1/8th. 

Nope. Later round target, plays bigger than he is. Okay with that. 

6 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I'm meh on Brisker.  His tackling technique has poor technique.  He's not the best at reading action through traffic in front of him so he misses RB's that bounce it wide on occasion.  His motor isn't hot, it's normal.  He's not a bad prospect, he's solid in many areas.  But I don't think he's flashing exceptional growth.

I'm with you on Brisker.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

No chance as we have given up a 2023 third for Wentz....but that is also a conditional 2nd in that deal....That blocks those picks out as we dont know which it will be.

If we were after a starting QB, or LT, or shutdown corner, or outright WR, or Edge, I’d be way more insistent on staying at #11. 

WR2, LB/hybrid, RB, safety, slot corner.....value positions, trade back, get more picks and plug all of those gaps. Feels like the way to go IMO unless we think we will get an outright elite prospect at #11. Not just very good, but elite. If one drops, stick at #11.

Otherwise I’m happy to bail right back as long as the deal leaves me with 4 picks in total before day 3 start.

Get both lines depth on day 3.

Edited by Est.1974
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

He's got Dalvin's full speed cuts and creativity but not his power.  That lateral speed is awesome.

Side note, I love these backfield views for highlight videos. 

Maybe I'll watch Cook later tonight.  His brother I was obsessed with before that draft.   I still got to watch Cook and Spiller among the top type RB prospects

14 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

One of those guys I'm curious to see where he goes ... some mocks have him in Round 7 and I've been getting him a lot in the simulators with one of our 7ths ... wouldn't surprise me if he goes a lot higher.

I haven't watched him, I recall one mock drafter in some podcast highlight him as a good fit here as a mid rounder who brings depth. 

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

I like Burks a lot too. I’d be really happy with him too.

I’d be psyched with any of the top 5 receivers.  Williams may not be in the plans because of his injury, but he’s going to reward the team that is patient with him.  I just don’t think we are in position to do that.

I also wouldn’t hate taking Willis at 11 if Zampese/Turner really like him.  Though, like Williams, the chance of that happening in a win now culture is basically nil.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Olave is too safe for me to love. But he’s too good for me to “hate”. So I’d be very, “eh” with him.

This is pretty much how I feel about Olave too. He's not a bad prospect, but he's nothing really special...mostly because he's not very twitchy or explosive and he has basically zero YAC abilities (though he's good at finding holes in zones).

He'd be a very "safe" pick because he's a refined player and unlikely to bust but also unlikely to become elite due to trait limitations. He's sort of like the Daron Payne of WRs. Solid prospect, but nothing exciting. I know some are hunky-dory with that because they just want a solid #2 behind Terry, but IMO if you're picking a WR in the top half of the 1st round you want a guy who has the potential to be a game breaker. 

• Like 1

LB QUAY WALKER, GEORGIA

2021 grade: 72.1 (167th out of 815 LBs)

Walker didn’t earn a starting role until 2021, but he was a well-balanced player at Georgia who graded evenly in run defense, pass rush and coverage. He earned the second-highest tackling grade of any draft-eligible FBS linebacker last season.

At 6-foot-4, 241 pounds, Walker has ideal size for an off-ball linebacker and tested well with a 4.52-second 40-yard dash and 6.89-second 3-cone drill. He also played on the line of scrimmage both in coverage and as a pass rusher.

If Walker doesn’t get taken in the first round, then the Jaguars are a team to watch at the top of the second.

Scout’s take: “Love him. Prototypical size with versatility and big upside. Excellent athlete, but he’s still developing his overall instincts and anticipation.”

S JAQUAN BRISKER, PENN STATE

2021 grade: 82.4 (42nd out of 748 S)

Brisker didn’t rank below the 65th percentile in any of his testing numbers. His highlights were a 4.43-second 40-yard dash (89th percentile), 1.52-second 10-yard split (89th) and 39-inch vertical leap (84th). 

He allowed just a 47 passer rating in his career with the Nittany Lions and was used in the box and deep at free safety. His 89.5 coverage grade ranked third among draft-eligible FBS safeties in 2021.

Scout’s take: “Compact, clean mover with a good combination of size, length, and athleticism. Rangy playmaker in the back half. Strong enough to play in the box against the run and quick enough to match up with slot types in the pass.”

Edited by Skinsinparadise