Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I am more into trading back than you but I do agree that I wouldn't trade back if those two are there at 11. 

If GB or KC are willing to give up two ones to get either one of them… why wouldn’t we want the guy that is worth two ones?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sebestian said:

Best defensive player ever.....R. White or L. Taylor?  For me, its Taylor by a nose.  I guess the best would mean the most disruptive.

What I find amazing is that the Giants could have had both of those guys at the same time, but they passed on White in the USFL draft. They had the third pick (Young and Rozier were the first two picked) and chose Zimmerman instead. He refused to play for them and was eventually traded to the Vikings for two second round picks. And the Eagles took White with the fourth pick.

I would argue that Reggie was the best power end in history while LT was the best edge blitzing OLB in history.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think at least Willis goes top 10. And I don’t see Carolina rolling with Newton/Darnold again. We shall see. Rhule makes that an odd situation. The Gm will likely remain if Rhule gets fired, but the offensive scheme will change in year 2 for a rookie QB when Rhule inevitably gets fired. That’s usually very damaging for a rookie/sophomore QB…

Yeah don't know.  Weeks back it seemed like it was a given that two QBs -- Pickett and Willis go top 10.  Seems like some of that momentum is lost.  Could be just draft lying season -- BS.  If we want London or Wilson, i'd think we want a QB or two to go top 10 because maybe Atlanta would pull the trigger or a stud defender falls to them that they wouldn't pass over.  Feels like its a given that the Jets take a WR whereas Atlanta is leaning that way but it isn't a given.

Standig is just repeating what he hears from league sources.  But off of the top of my head that's 4 reporters now saying Drake and Garrett going top 10 -- but you never know, could be a head fake.  Plus there are always surprises in the draft.  One thing to bank on is some unexpected left turn somewhere. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If GB or KC are willing to give up two ones to get either one of them… why wouldn’t we want the guy that is worth two ones?

My only take on it is those teams are Super Bowl ready and one WR away from winning it IMO. We arent. And 2 first rounders would be really valuable for us. Again just my opinion. But those 2 picks should give you 2 legit starters at least.

• Like 1

Just now, clskinsfan said:

My only take on it is those teams are Super Bowl ready and one WR away from winning it IMO. We arent. And 2 first rounders would be really valuable for us. Again just my opinion. But those 2 picks should give you 2 legit starters at least.

We need more than “starters”. We need impact players. Quantity does not > quality necessarily. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah or if we don't think there is a big difference between say London and Burks or Olave and we can get Burks/Olave with the 22nd pick, trade down and pick up the 28th to get a LB or something.

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Me too as for the top rounds at WR.   I am hoping London or Wilson slips.

This week even more talk about the Falcons and Jets zeroing in on WRs.   So it doesn't look good on that front.   But its lying season so maybe that's BS.   Hard for me to see the Jets passing one over.  But I think there is a shot the Falcons do if there is a surprise fall to their pick.

The more I think about it, the more I think there is like an 75% shot or so Hamilton is there at 11.  I am not among the crowd here who say, you make that pick slam dunk.   But I'd be cool with it.  If I had to guess it right now.  I am guessing its Hamilton at 11.  And if so maybe WR in the 2nd. 

I, like you and @KDawg have become more convinced and am more with the bigger physical WR but I think we MUST trade down in the 20s/30s (KC) to justify the possibility of a Burks and think he'd be worth GB or KC picks if we were to make a massive trade down and acquire a bounty of picks so we can fill holes we have on this team and there are several WR, ILB, FS, OL, TE and CB too.  We can get some good ones if we were gutsy enough to move down and selected the right talent in the draft.  

• Like 1

I think the team that could make superbowl with two picks will go after the vet Wr. Kc I think could go after Debo or Metcalf.

I like Burks in a trade down I think he could be a good player for Wentz. Also, he would be good in the Wr mix with Terry and Samuel. 

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Anyone like JoJo Domann as a mid-late round buffalo nickel if we go all-offense at the top of the draft?

Sounds reasonable I suppose. Sterling Weatherford MAY be a bit better in that role. I really like OLB Arron Mosby out of Fresno State too. He's a playmaker but generating little buzz.

Even though there is some buzz QBs don't go top 10.  Plenty of buzz that 2-4 of them could go 12-20.  Wonder if a team wants to leapforg to get one.  Or a WR?

As for us trading that far down as @Koolblue13 suggests, down to GB/KC picks, I waffle on it.  In theory it sounds great.  

I think Wilson and London (depending on their 40) are the top 2 receivers.  Then the next tier group is close:  Olave, Burks, Dotson, Moore.   I think Olave is the safest of those three.  Olave I'd expect to be gone in a big trade down.  I love Calvin Austin but I think he can be had in the 2nd. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 11.26.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 11.26.31 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah or if we don't think there is a big difference between say London and Burks or Olave and we can get Burks/Olave with the 22nd pick, trade down and pick up the 28th to get a LB or something.

We could select Burks with the 22nd and then trade out of the 28th and get a 2nd and 3rd.  Then we can select a quality ILB and FS with our own #47 and a high 2nd we'd acquire for the #28.  Possibly and a decent shot at Brisker and Andersen or Muma or even Chenal which a lot on this board like a lot.  I have converted over to Andersen and hope this team likes him too.  He is a Swiss army knife not only on D but O too if you wanted to use him there.  Can you imagine the fun with his 4.42 speed JDR and Scott Turner could have with Andersen.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

43 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think at least Willis goes top 10. And I don’t see Carolina rolling with Newton/Darnold again. We shall see. Rhule makes that an odd situation. The Gm will likely remain if Rhule gets fired, but the offensive scheme will change in year 2 for a rookie QB when Rhule inevitably gets fired. That’s usually very damaging for a rookie/sophomore QB…

So taking a QB doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Then again, if he doesn’t upgrade at QB he’s going to get fired.

They probably should have just fired him and let him find a well paying college job… and moved on and started over.

But my guess is they are keeping him to be the tank commander and they will draft something other than QB… because they plan on being awful in 22 and will take the best QB in the 23 draft.

If that’s the plan, then perhaps they are willing to trade back to get more 2023 picks.

On 4/8/2022 at 6:41 AM, Anselmheifer said:

Pickens feels like the kind of guy that will be chosen later and could be a huge steal. Lowest drop rate in college per the PFF chart SIP posted earlier. Watch the body control and hands.

This x1000. Pickens after round 1 is basically 10,000x more value than Olave at 11. He’s better than Olave period in my view.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Wilson and London (depending on their 40) are the top 2 receivers.  Then the next tier group is close:  Olave, Burks, Dotson, Moore.   I think Olave is the safest of those three.  Olave I'd expect to be gone in a big trade down.  I love Calvin Austin but I think he can be had in the 2nd. 

This is exactly how I feel about them. I think. I wouldn’t be butt hurt if we chose Olave over Wilson but I’d prefer Drake London. 

Regarding Olave, I wouldn’t be excited to watch his career and performances the way I was with CY and have been with other more elite athletes. But, I feel really good about his fit and his floor and I’d be super excited to watch our offense with Terry, and Olave on the outside and Curtis Samuel at slot, with Wentz getting them the ball. It’s a night and day upgrade of the offense compared to where we were just before Rivera. Night and day. 

Been trying to form a take on Andrew Booth and it's very tough from broadcast view cutups.  From what I can put together, Clemson mostly plays quarters and cover 3 with him but there is a little bit of press-man in there too.  Not much, and the consensus seems to be that he's a zone corner and doesn't really have the hip fluidity of a top flight man corner.  The way he makes his big plays is from zone too because he needs to read the QB.  Unlike McDuffie, he's full sized.  He's probably the hardest hitter and block shucker of the top CBs too.  Ball skills look pretty fantastic and he had a one-handed INT in the end zone against UVA that looked like a WR making the play.  It's the second play from this highlight video:

The first NFL comparison that came to mind while watching him was Xavier Rhodes, but I think he's probably not as good in man as Rhodes was.  I think his lack of coverage versatility really limits his draft value, and I also read that he's got some kind of surgery for a sports hernia a couple of weeks ago.  So he's probably not going to be a first round pick.  My gut is leaning toward second round value?

He could be a fantastic player for a zone heavy team.  I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that we are really zone heavy so maybe he'd be a good fit here.  @Skinsinparadise has talked about one of our issues in coverage last season is that William Jackson is just not that smart and struggled in zone, so in that regard Booth would probably be an upgrade.  I think he's probably pretty smart, he seemed to feel out what his safeties were doing consistently well and make good decisions, and he looked really strong reading the QB and figuring out where the ball was going to be going.  Zierlein thinks he'll be a cover 2 corner at the next level but that seems a little weird to me since cover 3 and quarters are what he's most familiar with, plus I definitely think he has the speed to play in deep shells.

I was leaning towards not trading down from 11 but now I think I like the idea of it more than staying in slot.  Devin Lloyd is taking most of his team meetings with teams that are drafting in the 20s.  Burks's draft ceiling is in the late 20s apparently, and Jordan Davis could be available in that range too.  Linderbaum is getting fringe first round to second round projections.  Nakobe Dean has dropped out of the first round conversation entirely.  Guys like Metchie and Walker are always projected in the second.  I think Booth could be there in the second too.  It is starting to feel to me like we'll be able to get three great players instead of two if we trade back.  I don't want to reach on a WR at 11 to fill a need which I don't even think is that bad, and I think all of the WR prospects in the class are reaches at 11.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah don't know.  Weeks back it seemed like it was a given that two QBs -- Pickett and Willis go top 10.  Seems like some of that momentum is lost.  Could be just draft lying season -- BS.  If we want London or Wilson, i'd think we want a QB or two to go top 10 because maybe Atlanta would pull the trigger or a stud defender falls to them that they wouldn't pass over.  Feels like its a given that the Jets take a WR whereas Atlanta is leaning that way but it isn't a given.

Standig is just repeating what he hears from league sources.  But off of the top of my head that's 4 reporters now saying Drake and Garrett going top 10 -- but you never know, could be a head fake.  Plus there are always surprises in the draft.  One thing to bank on is some unexpected left turn somewhere. 

I feel like that was just the whole QBs have to be taken high in the first round mindset of the draft.  It's like when some people predicted Ryan Nassib would go in the first

2 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

@Going Commando was a Stingley truther from jump, as were others I believe. Stingley crushed his Pro Day. I was turned off somewhat by the decline in production and injury concerns but still the talent is undeniable. He might be in play for us at #11 too. 

I have embraced Drake at #11 as well. Tough call because both could be instant game-changers for us from day 1. Stingley's impact on the defensive side could truly be transformative with his skillset (credit again to @Going Commando

I think we all loved him after his freshman year.  I think he's got a Trevon Diggs-like skillset although he doesn't hit like Diggs.  But the key point is that he has the unique ability to play the ball from man coverage and guys like that usually get a lot of picks in the NFL.  Based on that, I agree that his upside is super high.

But I've kind of cooled on Stingley TBH.  I think he's probably the most talented corner in the class, but I don't really like the way things ended for him at LSU.  Coming into last season, he and Eli Ricks were supposed to be the leaders of that team and both really dropped that ball.  The team was in total disarray, Stingley checked out on the team early in the season and basically said peace out, I'm headed to the NFL, and Ricks ended up Alabama.  I just don't think things would have gone south that way if Stingley was a real leader.  I can never see a locker room led by Nakobe Dean or Devin Lloyd falling apart like that.

One of our biggest problems on defense is a lack of leadership on that side of the ball.  Stingley doesn't help us fix that, but Lloyd or Dean would.  I'd much rather trade back for one of them than pick Stingley at 11.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Ran a simulation where Even Neal was there at 11.  The only trade back offer was from Atl with a bunch of non-first round picks.  

Would you pass on Neal in that scenario?  Wilson, Hamilton, and Gardner are all off the table.

I came into the season high on Neal based on his reputation, but hadn't really sat there and watched just him in order to form a real take.  I was unpleasantly surprised when I did.  Basically, he's just super slow, and it is really noticeable how unexplosive he is when you watch him right after watching Ekwonu and Linderbaum.  He's a technician with elite size and his lower body power is monstrous, but he's slow as a glacier plus it's hard for guys that tall to be flexible enough to play inside.  I don't think he'd be good in a wide zone scheme either, so I don't think he's a particularly great fit for our offense.

Basically, I think his ceiling will be something like Andrew Whitworth or Orlando Brown.  He's cut from the same cloth as them, and in a vacuum that is worth the 11th overall pick.  But with the fit not being great for our scheme, with our strong tackle group already in house, and with there being several good IOL/IDL/LB options on the table this year, I think we'll have better options than him.  Teams will move up in the draft for OTs, and what I would do is try and use Neal to trade down with someone rather than take him for ourselves.  I really think someone would come up and get him and it could be a win/win trade scenario.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’d counter that by saying because we have a WR1 already and they don’t. Mclaurin extension then becomes pivotal in that discussion for me.

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

This was in my YouTube feed right after making that post about Olave.

This sway cat, who did this video and others is pretty sneaky with how he set up his video to be seen with no McShay video on it.  McShay from what I found 3 to 4 days ago believes that the Commanders take Olave at #11 nothing more.