Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

53 minutes ago, mistertim said:

What happens with Stingley is also so up in the air. He's mostly an unknown and is big time boom or bust. Amazing freshman year with 6 INT and 15 PDs, then injuries happened and has only played in 10 games the last 2 seasons with 0 INTs and 5 PDs. Any team that takes him will basically just be praying that he returns to freshman season form, but Lisfranc injuries tend to stick around so that's far from a foregone conclusion. 

I have a feeling that some teams will pick him if he falls to them but I have doubts that anyone would trade up for such an iffy prospect. But anything is possible.

Yeah the reason I think the Ravens would is because their track record with DBs is incredible. If anyone feels like they can develop him(or build him back up)it'd be Harbaugh and crew. And in the AFC you need lots of good DBs with how many good QBs there are. 

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I still think anyone trading up for a very good but undersized Center prospect is a pipe dream. 11 would be the highest a Center has ever been drafted. I'm sure there are teams who would take Linderbaum if he fell to them, but not give up extra draft capital to get him. IMO our biggest chance for a trade down is if a QB a team wanted fell to us at 11. That or something crazy like Thibs falling to us.

Yeah it's more likely someone trades up for a guy like Stingley or Jordan Davis but you never know who teams fall in love with.

I'm still holding out hope that we can move down if Willis drops to us but if he falls to 11, teams might just wait it out. I'm really eyeing that Steelers 2023 1st.

The ebbs and flows of the draft process. Initially I was smitten with the idea of Drake London a big Wr that could do work in the middle of the field. Alleviate pressure off of the TEs, and utilizing a big slot at times and a red zone target.

Then I watched Jameson Williams. At 11, even with the ACL. I would heavily consider drafting this guy. We need a superstar, this guy can get YAC underneath and deep with a plus size and speed combination. So what, we have to wait until half way through the season to utilize him? Maybe even next year, I still think it's worth it. 

For defense, Devin Lloyd and Kyle Hamilton at 11 only.

My draft preference today.

1) Jameson Williams

2) Drake London

3) Kyle Hamilton 

4) Devin Lloyd - only because of the 2nd round LB depth. You could switch Lloyd for Hamilton for me.

~Wolffe

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah the reason I think the Ravens would is because their track record with DBs is incredible. If anyone feels like they can develop him(or build him back up)it'd be Harbaugh and crew. And in the AFC you need lots of good DBs with how many good QBs there are. 

Yeah it's more likely someone trades up for a guy like Stingley or Jordan Davis but you never know who teams fall in love with.

I'm still holding out hope that we can move down if Willis drops to us but if he falls to 11, teams might just wait it out. I'm really eyeing that Steelers 2023 1st.

Fair point about the Ravens and DBs. Though if the issue with Stingley is purely physical due to his injury, then there's probably not much they can do about it. 

I agree that Willis coming to us at 11 is probably the best case scenario for a trade back, though I doubt we'd end up with the Steelers 2023 1st. The Chiefs gave up their 2017 3rd and 2018 1st to move up 17 spots from 27 to 10 for Mahomes in the 2017 draft. The Steelers would only be moving up 9 spots to 11 so unless some sort of bidding war happens, I think it's more likely we'd end up with the Steelers 2nd and maybe a 4th.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Fair point about the Ravens and DBs. Though if the issue with Stingley is purely physical due to his injury, then there's probably not much they can do about it. 

I agree that Willis coming to us at 11 is probably the best case scenario for a trade back, though I doubt we'd end up with the Steelers 2023 1st. The Chiefs gave up their 2017 3rd and 2018 1st to move up 17 spots from 27 to 10 for Mahomes in the 2017 draft. The Steelers would only be moving up 9 spots to 11 so unless some sort of bidding war happens, I think it's more likely we'd end up with the Steelers 2nd and maybe a 4th.

The Bears made the exact same leap(20 to 11) last year and gave up their 1st this year. The demand for QBs has skyrocketed and the Steelers are desperate now that theyre in a division with three game changers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

@Skinsinparadise

Thanks for putting up those cuts of Leo Chenal, he would be such a weapon for us. Del Rio loves to give that double A gap blitz look on third downs, but Leo would make that so much more dangerous than what we have now. 

I would be shocked if they are looking at Chenal. Per Keim, they ruled out Zaven Collins because the thought he was a 3-4 guy at that size. Chenal has better speed but I can see them thinking the same here too

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The Bears made the exact same leap(20 to 11) last year and gave up their 1st this year. The demand for QBs has skyrocketed and the Steelers are desperate now that theyre in a division with three game changers.

Like I said, it's possible but far from a foregone conclusion. IIRC there were reports that more than one team (including us) balked at the price to move from 20 to 11, but the Bears payed it. So yes, it only takes one team, but the Steelers are also IMO more patient and less likely to panic and give up a ton than a team like the Bears.

• Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, method man said:

I would be shocked if they are looking at Chenal. Per Keim, they ruled out Zaven Collins because the thought he was a 3-4 guy at that size. Chenal has better speed but I can see them thinking the same here too

I think it all depends on how they'd want to use him. The LB prospects who are great at everything and also have great size are at least unicorns and at most don't even exist. There's always going to be some give and take between skills and size.

If their main concern is coverage then yeah Chenal won't be the guy. Not because he can't (he has the athleticism and speed) but because he wasn't asked to do it much at Wisconsin so there's not much tape of it. If they want a thumper who can play downhill, shed blockers for TFLs and get sacks on blitzes, then Chenal is that dude.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Like I said, it's possible but far from a foregone conclusion. IIRC there were reports that more than one team (including us) balked at the price to move from 20 to 11, but the Bears payed it. So yes, it only takes one team, but the Steelers are also IMO more patient and less likely to panic and give up a ton than a team like the Bears.

That is because we'd probably have had to move to 9 or give NY a premium.

46 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

If the expectation that Jameson Williams will be 100% for at least half the season, I'd take him at #11.

I wouldn't take him at 11 but if we move down to like 18 with the Saints or 20 with the Steelers, I'd consider him there.

Imagine getting a future 1st, and then drafting Williams. Even if Wentz busts, we'd have two potential stud WRs(assuming we keep McLaurin), AND two #1s to find our franchise QB who will already have a great supporting cast. And if Wentz doesn't bust and turns into even an above average QB, we'll have a lot of capital to really build up a squad.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I wouldn't take him at 11 but if we move down to like 18 with the Saints or 20 with the Steelers, I'd consider him there.

Imagine getting a future 1st, and then drafting Williams. Even if Wentz busts, we'd have two potential stud WRs(assuming we keep McLaurin), AND two #1s to find our franchise QB who will already have a great supporting cast. And if Wentz doesn't bust and turns into even an above average QB, we'll have a lot of capital to really build up a squad.

Option #1 is trading down, no doubt.   he's my #1 WR if the expectation is for him to be ready to go by mid season

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think it all depends on how they'd want to use him. The LB prospects who are great at everything and also have great size are at least unicorns and at most don't even exist. There's always going to be some give and take between skills and size.

If their main concern is coverage then yeah Chenal won't be the guy. Not because he can't (he has the athleticism and speed) but because he wasn't asked to do it much at Wisconsin so there's not much tape of it. If they want a thumper who can play downhill, shed blockers for TFLs and get sacks on blitzes, then Chenal is that dude.

It is fair to say that a higher IQ Jamin Davis is who they are looking for given they drafted him to be a Mike, meaning I think they want someone who is more proven im coverage

When it comes to trading up I think it would also bear mentioning that (IMO) Fields was also a superior prospect to Willis. He played against better competition and put up better numbers against them. Willis has a ton of physical talent but he's super raw and had multiple rough 3 INT games this past season which leads to plenty of questions about his decision making and ability to see the field.

I still think it's possible that someone will move up for him, but it's not a foregone conclusion and given the questions marks with him, teams might be a bit more hesitant to give up heavy draft capital to do so.

4 minutes ago, method man said:

It is fair to say that a higher IQ Jamin Davis is who they are looking for given they drafted him to be a Mike, meaning I think they want someone who is more proven im coverage

I agree that they probably want a guy who has the ability to hold down the Mike position in a 4-3. But also remember that it's not all that often that we're in a true 4-3 base. We're more often lined up in some variation of a 4-2-5 with a buffalo nickel. In that formation I think pairing a downhill thumper who can pass rush and blitz like Chenal with a super fluid guy like Davis who is really fast and can cover well could be a really nice setup.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Again with the trade down stuff like it's readily available. Every year we talk it and yet it rarely happens. The few trade downs we have managed through the years we ended up getting too cute and better talent was drafted ahead of us. Given today's recovery from ACL, drafting WR #1 at 11 is worthwhile. Upside

~Wolffe 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

When it comes to trading up I think it would also bear mentioning that (IMO) Fields was also a superior prospect to Willis. He played against better competition and put up better numbers against them. Willis has a ton of physical talent but he's super raw and had multiple rough 3 INT games this past season which leads to plenty of questions about his decision making and ability to see the field.

I still think it's possible that someone will move up for him, but it's not a foregone conclusion and given the questions marks with him, teams might be a bit more hesitant to give up heavy draft capital to do so.

My theory is that the Steelers are desperate for a QB. They were in the market for all the big names but struck out. Also Tomlin is in love with Willis and he's always super transparent at this time of year(last year EVERYONE knew they were taking Najee Harris, it was the worst kept secret in the league). We may be able to play on this desperation, which should be even higher now that the Browns have added a stud QB of their own. 

I just don't know if our FO is capable of pulling off this kinda move. You really have to be crafty and be able to sell the situation. We're usually on the other end of these.

21 minutes ago, Commander Wolffe said:

Again with the trade down stuff like it's readily available. Every year we talk it and yet it rarely happens. The few trade downs we have managed through the years we ended up getting too cute and better talent was drafted ahead of us. Given today's recovery from ACL, drafting WR #1 at 11 is worthwhile. Upside

~Wolffe 

I do agree with this actually. Every year fans on this board scream TRADE DOWN but it takes two to tango and is often actually not worth it. But we pick at a pretty unique spot this year where we can potentially swing some trades. I would NOT trade down if a prospect like Hamilton or Gardner were there at 11 though(unless we got some insane offer).

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

My theory is that the Steelers are desperate for a QB. They were in the market for all the big names but struck out. Also Tomlin is in love with Willis and he's always super transparent at this time of year(last year EVERYONE knew they were taking Najee Harris, it was the worst kept secret in the league). We may be able to play on this desperation, which should be even higher now that the Browns have added a stud QB of their own. 

Hasn't Tomlin and the Steelers also shown interest in all the top QB's and talked about Pickett and Ridder some? 

last you are correct, everyone knew they were jacked about Harris

26 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I just don't know if our FO is capable of pulling off this kinda move. You really have to be crafty and be able to sell the situation. We're usually on the other end of these.

If Tomlin is truly in love with Willis and thinks he's absolutely the one, why would they wait for him to fall to 11? If they're willing to give up massive draft capital, why not try to jump way up above Carolina and Atlanta to make sure they get their guy? If they think Willis will be elite and will be their franchise guy for the next 10-15 years then they'd be willing to pay it.

I think it's more likely that they like a couple of QBs, including Willis, but they're not necessarily over the moon about any of them. So if one of their guys slips far enough and it won't cost them an arm and a leg to move up for him, they'll do it. 

That's why I think it's unlikely they'd be willing to give up their 2023 1st.

18 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I’d be fine with it at 47, but it would leave another hole. I’d rather roll with Wentz and take a WB in the 1st if Wentz fails. Then again, a backup QB is valuable with Wentz. He tends to miss some games.

Due diligence. Relax. They could also be looking at RB there.

~Wolffe

34 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If Tomlin is truly in love with Willis and thinks he's absolutely the one, why would they wait for him to fall to 11? If they're willing to give up massive draft capital, why not try to jump way up above Carolina and Atlanta to make sure they get their guy? If they think Willis will be elite and will be their franchise guy for the next 10-15 years then they'd be willing to pay it.

I think it's more likely that they like a couple of QBs, including Willis, but they're not necessarily over the moon about any of them. So if one of their guys slips far enough and it won't cost them an arm and a leg to move up for him, they'll do it. 

That's why I think it's unlikely they'd be willing to give up their 2023 1st.

Those teams might not want to move down because they'd be missing out on one of the prime edge players, DBs, or OTs. Carolina is almost a lock to draft a QB anyway.

Like I said we're at a sweet spot at 11. No chance we draft an edge player and the WRs and LBs we like are pretty likely to be available later anyway so we'd be a willing partner.

Let me clarify that I believe the chances of a trade down, especially all the way down to 20, are fairly low. But I do think its within the realm of possibility.

58 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Those teams might not want to move down because they'd be missing out on one of the prime edge players, DBs, or OTs. Carolina is almost a lock to draft a QB anyway.

Like I said we're at a sweet spot at 11. No chance we draft an edge player and the WRs and LBs we like are pretty likely to be available later anyway so we'd be a willing partner.

Let me clarify that I believe the chances of a trade down, especially all the way down to 20, are fairly low. But I do think its within the realm of possibility.

I feel you. Though the Giants might be a team that would be willing to move down for a nice haul of picks, since they already have 2 top 10 picks. If some team were over the moon for Willis and wanted to make sure that Carolina or Atlanta didn't get him they could give up a ton to move to 5.

That being said, I don't think this crop of QB is worth that so it's more likely that they'd wait for a guy to drop and then offer a moderate but not crazy package to move up.

As far as it being likely, yeah I agree. It seems like almost every draft people are talking about how we should trade down and stockpile picks, but it rarely happens. I guess it all depends on who's left on the board, who wants to move up, and what they're willing to offer. 

If the Steelers want Willis and are looking to trade up for him, they probably have to get in front of Atlanta or Carolina to be safe. 

If Willis makes it to 11, there is nobody between 11 and 20 who are drafting him. 

The only players who might slip to 11 that are worth possibly trading up for at 11 are Thibs, Hamilton or Stingly. Maybe Davis, but I think he's going pre 15. Eagles are a good option to trade up for Davis though.

Someone said the Steelers aren't a trade up type of team. That's wrong. They just moved up a couple years ago and also threw 2 firsts at Fitz. They're super aggressive when they want someone.