Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

5 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

What I don't get is why is nobody talking about Williams at WR any more? Isn't he the best WR in this draft? I know he got hurt, but I'd be much happier with trading down and picking him vs picking one of these 3 guys being talked about in this thread and letting him drop to GB or KC to become an all pro. 

1) because we like the guys in this thread

2) because an injured player doesn’t help us much. If we were a better team in a better situation I’d be all about him. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

What I don't get is why is nobody talking about Williams at WR any more? Isn't he the best WR in this draft? I know he got hurt, but I'd be much happier with trading down and picking him vs picking one of these 3 guys being talked about in this thread and letting him drop to GB or KC to become an all pro. 

Plenty of talk about Williams especially of late here.  The hard thing about him is he might not be ready untii early November and he might not be the same period this season.

He's my favorite WR in this group.  But can Rivera afford a first rounder who might not make an impact in supposedly a must win season?  don't know.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

1) because we like the guys in this thread

2) because an injured player doesn’t help us much. If we were a better team in a better situation I’d be all about him. 

This... if the point of drafting a WR is to improve the group for this year, drafting a guy that won't be ready until mid-season (at the earliest) isn't going to help matters, especially with your first round pick.  Plus, as we've seen with major knee injuries, they can really kill a player's explosiveness.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But can Rivera afford a first rounder who might not make an impact in supposedly a must win season?

No, in fact, if he whiffs on another first round *JAMIN DAVIS* then I think he's definitely on the hot seat.  When we went after Carson Wentz and took on that 27 million dollar contract, Rivera committed us to a much improved offense.  He has to build around him and give him a bigger variety of weapons.

• Like 1

Just now, method man said:

Keim hinted on his latest podcast that they see buffalo nickel as a bigger need than MLB and then alluded to Hamilton

Yup. Some of us have been preaching to that choir. Except Lloyd can play that spot, too. Just need to be a touch more creative with it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, method man said:

Keim hinted on his latest podcast that they see buffalo nickel as a bigger need than MLB and then alluded to Hamilton

Just listened to it.  He did say both spots (LB and big nickel), but buffalo nickel even more.

Referred also to Landon Collins still being unsigned.   

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yup. Some of us have been preaching to that choir. Except Lloyd can play that spot, too. Just need to be a touch more creative with it. 

yep Lloyd is a former safety, good coverage guy.

I would probably have Jameson Williams as WR 5 even if he was healthy.  He's Will Fuller 2.0.  A blazing fast track star... and that is all that he is.  With a big time QB like Rodgers or Mahomes or Herbert and a bona ride one making those deep safeties hesitate, he'll be an elite deep threat, just as Fuller was with Watson and Hopkins.  But he doesn't run a well rounded tree, he doesn't play tough, and he has just as limited play strength as Olave without his smoothness, toughness, or expansive feel for the game.  There is a reason he was fourth on the depth chart behind Olave, Wilson, and Smith-Njigba.  He's not as good a football player as them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just listened to it.  He did say both spots (LB and big nickel), but buffalo nickel even more.

Referred also to Landon Collins still being unsigned.   

yep Lloyd is a former safety, good coverage guy.

Lloyd or Hamilton can to some degree settle both positions or at least would offer much more versatility 

Regarding the WR's one thing that we are all pretty much consensus is in some order it's WIlson, London, Olave and then it's arguments over a small group and WIlliams (who healthy would be tops) 

• Thumb up 1

As for Jameson looks like we got divergent opinons on him here.  For me I am a big fan but he's not my guy coming off an ACL.

To me he's the closest version in this draft to Tryeek Hill.   Calvin Austin being the other but I wish Austin was taller.  Some I see compare him to Desean, I've seen one comp to Fuller too but the reason why I like the Hill comp better is Jameson is a demon with underneath stuff too.

The reason why the ACL though bothers me goes beyond him not being ready for the start of the season but because his explosion and speed (both lightening fast and quick) is such a big part of his game is I wonder would would happen if he lost even half a step?

Here's what some scouts have said about Jameson.

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 3.31.05 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I've seen a fair number of mocks with Olave to us at 11. I think that's really a reach, but we could do worse. I don't think Olave has the athleticism or explosion to have elite upside, but I also think it's very unlikely that he'll bust. A relatively safe, if unremarkable, pick.

Yeah for me Williams is perfect pick for a team like Eagles. They have enough picks, they can gamble even harder.

We can not have after Samuels, a second WR. That comes in to help and do nothing a full year. They player we draft should be on the field they one. Doesn't have to be starter but be active. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Drake London and Calvin Austin III

I like yours. To be contrarian, I might say Chris Olave and Christian Watson. High floor guy ready to step in as a number 2 immediately and an elite tools guy that can be used to take the top off immediately, maybe as a WR4 and special teams player.

Exit: Jinx! 😂 

Edited by Anselmheifer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

It's obvious that Garrett Wilson has more natural and physical talent than him.  He's got power in his game and that freakish coordination and leaping ability of an Odell Beckham while maybe being just a hair less fast than Olave.  But I can tell Wilson isn't a technician.  His releases and breaks are so spastic and inefficient that I can tell he's just operating on instinct and without intention/planning/strategy.  He's got some natural instinct and ability to lean on your leverage while you're trying to cover him deep and wrongfoot you, and he's so fast that he's just hard to run with when he changes directions, but NFL speed is another level from Big 10 speed.  Those safeties and corners will be able to run with him and they'll read his breaks and releases like a book.  Sitting their chopping his feet for a year before he gets off the line and those ultra exaggerated head and shoulder fakes are silly.  It's like that part of the position is still new to him and not a refined, second nature, NFL-ready skill for him yet.

Well said about Wilson!  My number 1 worry with him is he seems more likely to have a big learning curve in the pro's.

One of the things I like about Olave is he knows how to run routes within the scheme.  He paces well when moving through zones so that he should be open when the QB progresses to Olave's route.  He seems like someone who will help make play designs work as intended.  The "glue guy" for the scheme so to speak.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Where do you guys see Troy Anderson getting drafted?

And, it seems like nobody brings up Brian Robinson. 6’2” and 225 and ran a 4.53. Pretty productive. No interest?

Strangely enough they were both brought up this morning.

Robinson would be a nice fit and probably go in the 4th.

Anderson is a wild card, loaded with talent and possibility. I have seen him go as early as the 2nd and as late as the 5th. I don't see him surviving the 3rd round. He could be a real versatile chess piece to our D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Was listening to Mel and MckShay's latest pod and they had a consensus top 10 which went:

1). Jax-Hutchinson

2). Det-Hamilton

3). Hou-Ekwonu

4). NYJ-Walker

5). NYG-Neal

6). Car-Cross

7). NYG-Thibs

8.  Atl-London

9). Sea-Jermaine Johnson

10). NYJ-Wilson

Then they speculated that Washington & Minny would be ecstatic that the top CBs are still on the board.

Interesting that they have zero QBs in the top 10. Whether or not any QBs go in the top 10, it is a safe bet that a prospect will be there at #11 that a team will be looking to move up for. I feel there is a talent dropoff around #12 or #13

2 minutes ago, method man said:

Interesting that they have zero QBs in the top 10. Whether or not any QBs go in the top 10, it is a safe bet that a prospect will be there at #11 that a team will be looking to move up for. I feel there is a talent dropoff around #12 or #13

I just don't see Carolina passing on a QB. Its the safest bet in the draft. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1