Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Pickett just feels like he is going to have such a limited ceiling. I’d so much rather have a guy that at least has a shot at being a top 10 QB. 

I get where the sentiment of Pickett being a high-floor/low-ceiling player comes from.  He reads the field the bestof this year's prospects and probably has the cleanest footwork.  But that doesn't equal high floor/low ceiling, and I don't think the film actually shows him to be this kind player.  I think he's actually an extremely aggressive QB and a boom or bust prospect, and in some ways, is more boom or bust than Willis.  One of the reasons I like Willis over him is safety, because I think Willis's traits and his running game utility give him a long runway for development and a chance for easy early career success.  But I can absolutely see Pickett ending up being a better NFL QB than Willis because he's already better than him and we've already seen what a season of that reality looks like.

I've been watching JT O'Sullivan's breakdowns of Pickett and there is some stuff in there that gives me pause.  Pickett has some syncing issues between what he's seeing between the pressure and deep level of the coverages.  He misses that deep field side safety kind of a lot.  He has a much more aggressive, playmaking/attacking mentality as a QB than Willis does and he throws it up for grabs, but it's stuff where he's just missing some of those deep reads.  O'Sullivan also talked about some of the unconventional drops/protections that Pitt ran that are actually kind of complicated.  He didn't speculate about why they do things that way, but my guess is they do it to get Pickett angles on field side out-breakers at depth where he can really step into and drive those throws.  They called those kinds of throws for Pickett more than you expect, and they actually ran a really aggressive passing game.  They had faith in his arm and catered their pass-game architecture to suit his natural aggressiveness, but they also came up with unusual ways to make the throws more QB friendly for him.  His NFL team is going to need to do this for him too, and that means he needs to go somewhere with smart and adaptable offensive coaches to get the most out of him.  Granted, this is true for every QB prospect.

Second, Pickett is much more of an athlete than I think people realize.  You see a lot of well placed off platform throws down the field, and a lot of instances of him making hot rushers miss to keep plays alive.  You see good improv work and you also see good chain-moving running ability capitalizing on the space defenses have to give him.  He's got a baller playing-style.  What gives me pause about his playing style is that he's got nervous pocket presence/happy feet.  And there is some gunshy tendency on middle window throws like slants.  From Lance Zierlein's draft profile on him: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kenny-pickett/32005049-4377-7233-6101-772adaebe15c

• Some scarring from previous protection issues.
  • Nervous feet and poise can get the best of him despite clean pockets.
  • Drifts outside pocket rather than climbing to scan.

I think he's right about that, and Pitt's OL got way better this season but there were still some really rough moments from them.  On the one hand, you don't love it when a QB has some shell shock from his OLs taking a ton of Ls against any good team they played.  Causes bad habits.  But on the other hand, you develop pressure management skills as a survival tool in that situation, and you also don't love it when a QB prospect like Bryce Love or CJ Stroud has never played a game with a crappy pocket.

I think we can put a pretty good line in front of Pickett and give him the best pockets he's had, but you wonder how much that scarring will effect him.

Third concern is the on-field antics.  Almost nobody but me is talking about this, and it seems like the narrative on Pickett is that he's the nicest and most mature QB of the group, but how is nobody else bothered by the on-field extra curriculars?  It's not just about the fake slide and celebration, which I don't care what anyone else says, was a completely punk-ass move.  He is constantly starting **** on the field.  There were two instances in the UVA game that JT O'Sullivan pointed out and he's the only other one I've seen that's mentioned this issue in Pickett's film.  One play where he got into it with a Ref because he felt like he got hit late.  Another play where he almost got into a fight with one of the UVA defenders after he threw a pick and was going for the tackle.  You see a lot of other moments where he's barking at defenders or spinning the ball in their face and conflict just kind of follows him around on the field.  I get that he's this alpha-type intense competitor, but it's not really the kind of decorum you want to see from your QB.

All that said, I'd still take a shot on him at 11 if the coaches believe in him.  I think his upside is actually pretty good because he's such a playmaker type QB, it's his floor that I'm more worried about.  I think his ceiling is as a Matt Stafford type of player and that is clearly good enough to lead you to a championship.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm actually relieved we won't be taking QB at 11 now. There are some premium players at LB and CB that can help us now and be mainstays for the next decade.

Mainstays on a 6-8 win team not going anywhere. 

I am all about trading back and recouping lost draft picks now.  Trading back puts us in the range of Nakobe Dean.  That's my dream scenario.

Edit:  How funny would it be if we trade up to pick #41 and pick a 2nd round QB one spot ahead of the Colts now?

Edited by Always A Commander Never A Captain
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

We’re trading back now unless a top 5 talent slides, I’d guess.

Yup.  Try and recoup the lost 3rd rounder.  Gardner is probably the only guy I'd take without hesitation at 11.  Everyone else has warts.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

36 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

We've got to go BPA now.  I want Lloyd or Jordan Davis personally, but could see the value in taking one of the OLs or DBs too.

You don’t see anyway they still take a guy like Willis and let him sit a good portion of the year behind Wentz? If not, they are starting all over again with no QB next year, probably coming off another 7 win season. I would definitely favor some foresight here over another year of kicking the QB can down the road. 

2 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I could see WR for sure.  Gardner would be my top choice, but I have no issues with Lloyd.

I don't see the Sauce making it to 11, but I'd take him. London would be pretty awesome too. 

Not that we're going to build around Wentz, but he has a ****ing monster cannon so if we can grab one of those little speed monster WRs, it'll open up a ton of stuff.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

We’re trading back now unless a top 5 talent slides, I’d guess.

Lloyd, Hamilton, Davis, Gardner, London would probably be my top 5 at 11.

I'm also cool with trading back now, but I'd rather have Lloyd.

• Like 2