Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A.  We might be able get the top QB we want. 

Yeah this is my big take away too.  Very few drafts where you have a shot at QB1 at 11 overall.  My gut says we'll be looking at QB2, but the better these linemen and corners look, the better our chances for QB1 get.  I just think Pittsburgh might trade up in front of us to get Willis before we pick him.

I see so many fans on this board getting discouraged about the QBs in this class because this is a trickier class than usual, and thinking that means we should give up on it this year.  But that's the wrong mentality to take into a challenging draft.  You have to see these kinds of things as a competitive opportunity rather than a burden if you want to compete at the highest level in the league.  These are the kinds of classes where the best team builders pull away from the pack.  You just need someone with a strong vision for their team running the show, and I think we might have that now.

I don't really have FOMO about these exciting position players because if you get a good QB, then you've made one of the best and most impactful picks in the draft.

Basically we've got three realistic QB options at 11--Corral, Willis, Pickett.  They are pretty good choices for a team in need of a QB prospect to build around that only has the 11th pick in the draft.  They are not qualitatively worse than any middle first QB prospect in any other class.  They each have very manifest strengths that you can see being the foundation for a good starter, but also pronounced weaknesses that make them less safe than a QB prospect who would go in the top ten without any angst.  They're going to take time and support to develop just the same as any prospect, and they can be made into a franchise QB pending the successful execution of the same development path that any QB prospect requires.  We just have to get this choice right.  Gotta pick the kid who the coaches are comfortable forming the QB/HC marriage with.  For me, that's Willis or Pickett, but if it's Corral, I'm fine with that too.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

E.  Picking 10th in the 2nd round looks like a great spot to pick some talent at need spots including LB, WR, S. 

Or for QB.  Sam Howell or Desmond Ridder are unusually appealing QB prospects to be in range for the 30s or 40s.

I actually think picking a difference maker at 11 and then navigating a simple trade to get Ridder or Howell and then making a subsequent trade for Matt Ryan after June 1st represents a really strong plan for our build moving forward.   But that would depend on whether or not Atlanta drafts a QB.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah this is my big take away too.  Very few drafts where you have a shot at QB1 at 11 overall.  My gut says we'll be looking at QB2, but the better these linemen and corners look, the better our chances for QB1 get.  I just think Pittsburgh might trade up in front of us to get Willis before we pick him.

I see so many fans on this board getting discouraged about the QBs in this class because this is a trickier class than usual, and thinking that means we should give up on it this year.  But that's the wrong mentality to take into a challenging draft.  You have to see these kinds of things as a competitive opportunity rather than a burden if you want to compete at the highest level in the league.  These are the kinds of classes where the best team builders pull away from the pack.  You just need someone with a strong vision for their team running the show, and I think we might have that now.

I don't really have FOMO about these exciting position players because if you get a good QB, then you've made one of the best and most impactful picks in the draft.

Basically we've got three realistic QB options at 11--Corral, Willis, Pickett.  They are pretty good choices for a team in need of a QB prospect to build around that only has the 11th pick in the draft.  They are not qualitatively worse than any middle first QB prospect in any other class.  They each have very manifest strengths that you can see being the foundation for a good starter, but also pronounced weaknesses that make them less safe than a QB prospect who would go in the top ten without any angst.  They're going to take time and support to develop just the same as any prospect, and they can be made into a franchise QB pending the successful execution of the same development path that any QB prospect requires.  We just have to get this choice right.  Gotta pick the kid who the coaches are comfortable forming the QB/HC marriage with.  For me, that's Willis or Pickett, but if it's Corral, I'm fine with that too.

Or for QB.  Sam Howell or Desmond Ridder are unusually appealing QB prospects to be in range for the 30s or 40s.

I actually think picking a difference maker at 11 and then navigating a simple trade to get Ridder or Howell and then making a subsequent trade for Matt Ryan after June 1st represents a really strong plan for our build moving forward.   But that would depend on whether or not Atlanta drafts a QB.

A lof of great points in that post, much of them I've made myself in different exchanges/arguments with others but said in a different way so we are in agreement.

To add some context to that point at least from my point of view.  This isn't a bad team.  We aren't poised next year to get Bryce Young or Stroud.  Some like to give this as the options where we are either taking one of these guys this year or Young or Stroud.  The thing is the odds are good those QBs are going #1 and #2.  We'd have to give up the moon and the stars to get them and that's assuming teams would give up those players -- usually teams picking that high in a good QB year do not trade away their picks.

So what's the more likely reality?  Hall, Rattler, Haener, McCall, Hooker are they really in another orbit than:  Willis, Pickett, Howell, Corrall, etc?  Because that would be the core of the debate if we are debating apples to apples in a reality based discussion.  Yeah someone could emerge like the Clemson QB who I can't spell his last name or whatever.  But by and large the idea of passing this year for 2023 as some sort of no brainer killer idea, I disagree with.  I am not saying it might end up a prudent move in the end but I disagree with those who see it as some slam dunk no brainer as if its totally easy to see today how it will unfold in 2023 compared to now.

According to one metric we've gone from having the hardest schedule in the NFL last year to the easiest this coming year.  Good chance we will be picking somewhere between 18-24.  So picking 11 with the first shot at potentially the top QB could be a unique opportunity because of the set up for this draft.  Some in the Qb thread like to talk about how unlucky we are needing a QB in a draft like this.  We could argue the reverse.  This might be a unique opportunity if the FO plays their cards smartly.

We aren't the only ones who think there is a chance with some of these QBs.  I listen to my share of draft podcasts, and there are plenty of people including Jordan Reid who once played QB in college and does evaluations now for ESPN who think the main thing missing here are headliner QBs but there are QBs with intriguing traits, you just got to dig deeper.  in his mind, these aren't bad QBs but they require more projection as for disciphering their strengths and weakneses.

As for the QBs you mention.  I think a common thread with all of them is they need to find consistency to take it to the next level so hopefully that can be tweaked in their game.

Corral is my favorite.  I liked listening to his interviews this week.  He's aware of the knock on his build and in turn he put on some weight which looked like pure muscle at the combine.   I want to see what he runs on his pro day because IMO his mobility is a key part of his game.  I like his pocket presence.  I like his arm talent.  Love how he manipulates defenses with his body language.  Quick release.

Willis:  The most exciting upside pick of the bunch.  I listened to a podcast today featuring his Qb coach Quincy Avrey, said strongest arm of any QB he's ever coached, very coachable, really smart, went on and on about him.    

Pickett:  I am not as high on him as some draftniks are.  But I like him.  And more on point, this FO seems to like him.  So if this brass likes him, I'll ride with it.  As I mentioned before he's my favorite personality of this group.  Seems to be the most charismatic of these guys and a true leader.  I was listening to his Pitt Qb coach Whipple talk about how much of a nice guy and good teammate he is off the field.  Pickett takes out players from all across the team on a regular basis to dinner.  Does frequent charity work and doesn't want people to know because he doesn't want to look like he's doing it to get public credit.  When it came to money making opportunities off the field this year he made sure to include his teammates in everything he did, etc. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 8

46 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Sauce will be drafted ahead of Hamilton

He could be but I think Hamilton is a one of a kind FS.  He's my favorite player in the draft.  We shall see.  :)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Nick Cross's official time was 4.34.  There is that 10.7 100 meters time from HS.

Some local non UMD guys who interest me at the combine are

1.  DE Josh Paschal (University of Kentucky-went to Good Counsel):  He was a good that UMD really tried to flip.  Coming out of HS he was a good considered to have good physical tools and some upside.  He was not super refined, but coming from Good Counsel which has solid coaching he was not super raw either.    Had a solid, but not amazing career at Kentucky.  He measured in at 6'3, 268 pounds and ran a 4.77.

2.  CB Tariq Castro-Fields (Penn St., Riverdale Baptist).   He is a kid from PG County who I thought was going to commit to the Terps at one point but in a recruiting battle that went down almost the end, he chose Penn St.  He measured in at 6'1 198 pds and ran a 4.38.  He made an early good impression at Penn St, but never quite made the jump from a very good corner to an elite corner.

3.  LB:  Chance Campbell (Maryland/Ole Miss, Calvert Hall):   Campbell was not a heavily recruited kid out of Baltimore, but he had some buzz for his athleticism on University of  Maryland message boards.   After a freshman year where he got 10 tackles, he took over as the starter as a sophomore in 2019 as was one of the few bright spots for Maryland that year.  However the defense in 2019 was bad.  In 2020 the defense at Maryland took a big step forward and Campbell in my opinion was the best player on the D.   He got HM All Big 10, but deserved better, but was handicapped that Maryland only played 5 games in that covid 19 shorten year when most of the teams played 8 (plus he missed one of those games with covid).    He made me sad when he decided to transfer to Ole Miss this past offseason for his last year rather than stay at Maryland.  DJ Durkin who was the head coach at Maryland when he was recruited to Maryland was the DC at Ole Miss.  He ended up being one of the best players on Ole Miss this past season and spearheaded the turnaround of that defense which went from bad in 2020 to solid in 2021.  He is very solid against the run and decent against the pass.  He measured in at 6'2 232 pounds and ran a 4.57.

4.  Safety Marquise Bell:  Bell was a big out of state recruiting win for the University of Maryland but during his freshman year he was involved in an incident where he was accused of sexual harrassment or assault.  He ended leaving the university and ended up at Florida A&M.  He was viewed as an explosive athlete with lots of upside at Maryland.  He measured in at 6'2 212 (great size for a safety) and ran an impressive 4.41

So those are four guys who I have kind of followed for four or five years as a Maryland fan so it was interesting to see how they did at the combine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Hamilton isn't there at 11 (probably), Dax would be an interesting choice if they trade down and Dean & Lloyd are gone.

:229:The Rook

Edited by The Rook
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But by and large the idea of passing this year for 2023 as some sort of no brainer killer idea, I disagree with.

Hey look we agree

But all and all its a terrible year for needing a QB. Outside of Willis I see none of them becoming Elite QBs and Willis I would argue has the worst chance in recent memory of reaching that elite level of the Toolsy guys 

Edited by Zim489

My post combine thoughts are that only a couple positions the gap from 1-4 or 5 is substantial.

Qb: No, all 5 can be your flavor depending on scheme and interviews.

Rb:No

WR:No

TE:No

OL: Yes, top 2  tackles big difference 

DL: No, Johnson, Walker, Davis not far off

LB:No

CB: Maybe, Sauce and Stingley are pretty elite

S: Yes Hamilton, but good depth 

56 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

My post combine thoughts are that only a couple positions the gap from 1-4 or 5 is substantial.

Wouldn't RB be a 'Yes'?  Thought the consensus was Hall & Walker then a gap to everyone else.

LB, I would say is a yes.  I think Dean has that rare competitive juice and intangibles that's going to put him a tier above the other LB prospects.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

But this is why people mark this draft as bad/weak. The lack of real start power. But position groups are pretty good and you can pick up around the same level player later in the draft. Trading down will be very popular this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilco_holland said:

But this is why people mark this draft as bad/weak. The lack of real start power. But position groups are pretty good and you can pick up around the same level player later in the draft. Trading down will be very popular this year.

Trading down needs two to tango.  Why would someone trade up if everybody thinks there's not much different between all of the good depth?

In terms of fast 40 times, look for this local player to wow the combine folks in about four years.   https://247sports.com/player/nyckoles-harbor-46114050/

He is listed at 6'5 225 (so he is probably like 6'4 220 in real life) and has a personal record in the 100 meters of 10.31.   Very real chance in runs in the low to mid 4.2's.   So he is a local kid to watch out for, albeit at the 2026 combine (he is only a HS junior).

Edited by philibusters

I tried to do a little mock until the Commanders pick in rd 1.  

1. Jax - E Neal (protect yhe franchise qb

2. Det - Hutchinson (Campbell effect)

3. Hou - Ekie (Protect Mills)

4. Jets - Walker Georgia DE (Saleh d line pressure Lawson busted out)

5. Giants - Cross (best o line)

6. Car- Pickett (David Teper is a young D Snyder)

7. Giants- Thibs (dline great value)

8.Atl- Best wr on teir board.  (Ridley is a ?)

9-GB via DEN- Sauce (King gets released)

10- NYJ- Wilson WR (give wilson prtection and weapons)

11 WAS-

If it plays out like this, this is my 5 choices

1. K. Hamilton

2. Trade down

3. D. Lloyd

4. ? 

5. ?

I am not afraid to say I do not know what would be a good pick.  Lets discuss.  But one this is for sure I am not taking a QB here ay all.  That why I like trade down because we have to start sending out message's that we are enamored with Wills, maybe get Pittsburgh interested to move up. 

8 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Hey look we agree

But all and all its a terrible year for needing a QB. Outside of Willis I see none of them becoming Elite QBs and Willis I would argue has the worst chance in recent memory of reaching that elite level of the Toolsy guys 

It might be a terrible year, might be not.  Certainly though no headliners, that's a fact.  As I said I am not the only dude who thinks there could be some QBs in this class who work out.  Will see.  2017 was supposed to a be a terrible year, it ended up not so.  Anyone who said (plenty did) pass on 2017 and hit up Rosen and Darnold who were the ballyhooed headliners for the 2018 class, would look like fools today.

Considering you don't like Mac Jones from what I recall.  The gist of yoiur point if you boil it down is last year they should have given up ANY price to get Justin Fields.  They tried to trade up but according to Keim teams were asking in their eyes for a huge bounty -- I get the impression it was for something ridiculous.  They had to trade into the top 10 because the Giants weren't helping them get a QB, I doubt the Eagles would have either. 

And look coming from one of the bigger fans of Fields last year, I am not sure you are right.  Will see.  He's off to a mediocre at best start.  A colleague of mine who is a Bears fan already thinks he's a bust.  But if Fields turns into like a Watson, you will end up right and there was no price too big for Fields -- three first rounders, Chase Young or whatever they wanted, give it to them.  Now, if he ends up a bust, we will thank them for having limits to what they were willing to pay for him. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

God damn this is a defensive dream draft come true. You could have a 1rst round draft with only defensive players and not be disappointed. 

Even if Hamilton is a unicorn, and he is, Hill and Cine devalue him a bit. Then you have Brisker and Pitre after that. 

I want 4 2nd round picks really badly. The DBs, LBers, WRs are going to completely dominate day 2 this year and I'm here for it. 

We need more day 2 picks, without trading away any picks. Gimme gimme gimme. 

• Thumb up 1