Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

I’m not as high on Willis as some.  He lacks traditional QB skills and holds the ball too long.  He doesn’t seem to throw with anticipation.

Howell fell of a cliff last year.  I understand everything he lost (skilled players), but his play did not inspire others around him.  He was not real accurate last year, but I do think he was trying to do too much.

i think Coral and Pickett throw with anticipation.  Both have strong arms and have been very accurate.  Pickett is a bigger guy and less mobile, Corral is smaller and more mobile.

I think Coral and Picket fit better in Scott Turner’s schemes.  They work progressions faster and get the ball out quicker.  I lean towards Coral because of his athletic ability.

I think Willis has a good upside but you would have to tailor your schemes to his skill set.   I think Howell has the lowest ceiling of the group.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Ron really backed himself into a corner that is going to dig himself out of by ignoring the position. I dont think I have ever seen such a pressing need here for a QB. Maybe anywhere else in the league. They just couldnt have picked a worse year to do it. I truly feel that Ron doesnt realize at how extremely difficult it would be to entice a great vet to be here as well as not understanding that Great ones rarely become available. 

So then he backed himself into a even bigger corner by needing to win with arguably the worst QB class in a decade. A class people had been calling bad for 2 plus year. Feels like hes going to have to roll Yahtzee's multiple times over to make it work out in the end. The odds in every direction is against them and it is largely because of their own misplay at the position. 

I'll judge him when the off season is over.  If it were me I would have made the move last year.  He's dug a hole.  But I won't slam him on this unless I see him fail to dig out of the hole. 

I disagree that its the worst QB class. I'd take it over 2014, 2015, 2019 (aside from Murray).  With hindsight over 2016.  But yeah last year was better.  

Having said that I definitely think he might have made a fatal mistake as for his tenure here.  It seems like he's optimistic that he will land a big fish.  But what if he doesn't?

I also think he underestimates the level of despair the fans here feel about the QB spot.  no one has earned the benefit of the doubt.  We expect faliure.  No one does QB worse than this team over the last 30 years or so.

If he fails to land a big fish and instead does lets say Trubisky, Ridder and Heinicke and plays up the QB competition in camp.  I don't think he has any idea of how much blowback he will get from fans.   Keim seems to think the backup plan if they fail to get a veteran is Trubisky and a 2nd-3rd round QB.  Standig hinted the same recently when Sheehan asked him to guess the Qb room next year and he mentioned Ridder/Trubisky. 

I don't dislike Ridder in the 2nd-3rd round but IMO he is far from a sure thing, he's got some kinks to work out.  I don't think much of Trubisky.  So if that's the road they take, I'd expect Ron will live out his contract for 5 years and that's it for him. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

Thanks as always for your input.  Thoughts on Pickett?  He's my Mac Jones for 2022.  :)

I like Pickett don't love him.   

He has four major red flags IMO.

1.  His hands aren't just small but they are record breaking small, smaller by a full inch over previous QBs where there was some concern

2.  this plays off of the first point.  28 fumbles in college is a pretty crazy number.  Daniel jones had fumbling issues in college and boy did it follow him to the pros.  Pickett is even more of a red flag on this than Jones was.  Decision making isn't always hot.  so it wouldn't shock me if he had Daniel Jones level of turnover concerns in the pros.

3.  One year of production, previously he was pedestrian

4.  Arm strength is just average

What I like about him is he throws well on the move.  High intangibles, good dude, good leader.   he has good accuracy but IMO not Mac Jones level accuracy.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Pickett don't love him.   

He has four major red flags IMO.

1.  His hands aren't just small but they are record breaking small, smaller by a full inch over previous QBs where there was some concern

2.  this plays off of the first point.  28 fumbles in college is a pretty crazy number.  Daniel jones had fumbling issues in college and boy did it follow him to the pros.  Pickett is even more of a red flag on this than Jones was.  Decision making isn't always hot.  so it wouldn't shock me if he had Daniel Jones level of turnover concerns in the pros.

3.  One year of production, previously he was pedestrian

4.  Arm strength is just average

What I like about him is he throws well on the move.  High intangibles, good dude, good leader.   he has good accuracy but IMO not Mac Jones level accuracy.  

Thanks for the input as always. :)  Time will tell but right now he's my #1 QB.  Things can change however. :) 

• Like 1

Daniel Jeremiah 2022 NFL mock draft 1.0: Kenny Pickett, Malik Willis among 3 QBs taken in Round 1

Pick

Denver Broncos

SELECTION: Kenny Pickett, QB

• School: Pittsburgh
  • Year: Senior (RS)

I’m sure the Broncos will pursue a trade for a premier quarterback (Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson) this offseason, but if they are unable to land one, Pickett is the best option in this draft class. He is ready to play right away. The Pitt product doesn’t have a huge arm, but he can make all the throws and he’s proven he can create when the pocket breaks down. 

Pick

Washington Football Team

SELECTION: Matt Corral, QB

• School: Ole Miss
  • Year: Junior (RS)

Corral is a playmaker at the position. His size (6-2, 205) is a concern for some around the league, but he’s accurate, has a live arm and would bring some juice to the offense. 

Pick

Detroit Lions
(via Rams)

SELECTION: Malik Willis, QB

• School: Liberty
  • Year: Senior (RS)

The Lions' situation would be perfect for Willis: Jared Goff can handle the starting duties until the LIberty passer is ready to play. I love Willis' arm strength and athleticism, but he needs to clean up his decision-making and accuracy. He has the most upside of the QBs in this class. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2022-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-kenny-pickett-malik-willis-among-3-qbs

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll judge him when the off season is over.  If it were me I would have made the move last year.  He's dug a hole.  But I won't slam him on this unless I see him fail to dig out of the hole. 

I disagree that its the worst QB class. I'd take it over 2014, 2015, 2019 (aside from Murray).  With hindsight over 2016.  But yeah last year was better.  

Having said that I definitely think he might have made a fatal mistake as for his tenure here.  It seems like he's optimistic that he will land a big fish.  But what if he doesn't?

I also think he underestimates the level of despair the fans here feel about the QB spot.  no one has earned the benefit of the doubt.  We expect faliure.  No one does QB worse than this team over the last 30 years or so.

If he fails to land a big fish and instead does lets say Trubisky, Ridder and Heinicke and plays up the QB competition in camp.  I don't think he has any idea of how much blowback he will get from fans.   Keim seems to think the backup plan if they fail to get a veteran is Trubisky and a 2nd-3rd round QB.  Standig hinted the same recently when Sheehan asked him to guess the Qb room next year and he mentioned Ridder/Trubisky. 

I don't dislike Ridder in the 2nd-3rd round but IMO he is far from a sure thing, he's got some kinks to work out.  I don't think much of Trubisky.  So if that's the road they take, I'd expect Ron will live out his contract for 5 years and that's it for him. 

I’m not sure I fully understand the idea of targeting a 2nd-3rd round qb if we bring in Trubisky… why not a 1st rounder?  I suppose the thinking is they can add an impact player and with (hopefully?) improved qb play make it into the playoffs?  Just a guess, but I could see them thinking that’s where they can find their MLB, and that sounds like a questionable idea/plan.

And I get it’s not plan A, but particularly given the rebranding, it’s hard to see it being a plan B either (though to your point, this could be due to a disconnect in understanding the fan base).  If it were year 1, I might feel differently about going that route.

Now there is a flip side.  More of a developmental qb (such as Ridder), would have 2022 and 2023 to flash.  If they’re able to do that, maybe RR earns an extension prior to year 5, particularly if Trubisky wins the job and we make the playoffs this year.  Always the chance that next year or the year after (heading into year 5), RR lands a highly regarded qb (via the draft or whatever) and they extend Rivera.  And of course, even if they wind up with plan B/C or whatever… are we really going to bleed that many more fans?  Sure, the rebranding might land with a thud, but that would ‘just’ be par for the course.  Get that franchise qb (even if it’s not this year) and then they’ll see the turnaround.  

Point being, this offseason is a big one, but might not (quite) be make or break… yet.  Falling on their face this year (probably 7/8 or fewer wins) and maybe Dan gets antsy.  Winning 8 or 9 would be meh, but at least not embarrassing.  If they pull of 10+, it might not get people super excited (if the qb situation is still unsettled), but it would be a step in the right direction at least.

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’m not sure I fully understand the idea of targeting a 2nd-3rd round qb if we bring in Trubisky… why not a 1st rounder?  I suppose the thinking is they can add an impact player and with (hopefully?) improved qb play make it into the playoffs?  Just a guess, but I could see them thinking that’s where they can find their MLB, and that sounds like a questionable idea/plan.

And I get it’s not plan A, but particularly given the rebranding, it’s hard to see it being a plan B either (though to your point, this could be due to a disconnect in understanding the fan base).  If it were year 1, I might feel differently about going that route.

Now there is a flip side.  More of a developmental qb (such as Ridder), would have 2022 and 2023 to flash.  If they’re able to do that, maybe RR earns an extension prior to year 5, particularly if Trubisky wins the job and we make the playoffs this year.  Always the chance that next year or the year after (heading into year 5), RR lands a highly regarded qb (via the draft or whatever) and they extend Rivera.  And of course, even if they wind up with plan B/C or whatever… are we really going to bleed that many more fans?  Sure, the rebranding might land with a thud, but that would ‘just’ be par for the course.  Get that franchise qb (even if it’s not this year) and then they’ll see the turnaround.  

Point being, this offseason is a big one, but might not (quite) be make or break… yet.  Falling on their face this year (probably 7/8 or fewer wins) and maybe Dan gets antsy.  Winning 8 or 9 would be meh, but at least not embarrassing.  If they pull of 10+, it might not get people super excited (if the qb situation is still unsettled), but it would be a step in the right direction at 

Edited by Redskins 2021

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And fans as a whole are starting to get smarter in their thoughts. Its well known that NFL HCs are some of the least adaptive people in existence. The get the the day 2 QB and devlop him just doesnt work. The hit rate is so small that its not even worth drafting one. 

You also touched on the fan base. They are getting utterly desperate. Especially when they notice the trend that if you dont have a great one you dont have a chance to compete for anything of note. A Trub and mid round guy is going to be groaned about heavily. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Point being, this offseason is a big one, but might not (quite) be make or break… yet.  Falling on their face this year (probably 7/8 or fewer wins) and maybe Dan gets antsy.  Winning 8 or 9 would be meh, but at least not embarrassing.  If they pull of 10+, it might not get people super excited (if the qb situation is still unsettled), but it would be a step in the right direction at least.

I think this year is the make or break for Ron. He wont be gone after his 3rd season but he would absolutely need what ever round QB he picks to produce and produce well to Merit getting the extension. If not Ron SHOULD be out after 4 years. To go 4 years and not have an answer one way or the other at QB is a fireable offense. I also dont think Ron feels he can wait until offseason number 4 to pick a QB. Would be pretty unprecedented. The only one I can really think of is Andy Reid and Mahomes but Andy picked Alex Smith year one as a 32 year old with a few good seasons. Ron would have had nothing but meh at best and 4 underwhelming seasons. 

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

I think this year is the make or break for Ron. He wont be gone after his 3rd season but he would absolutely need what ever round QB he picks to produce and produce well to Merit getting the extension. If not Ron SHOULD be out after 4 years. To go 4 years and not have an answer one way or the other at QB is a fireable offense. I also dont think Ron feels he can wait until offseason number 4 to pick a QB. Would be pretty unprecedented. The only one I can really think of is Andy Reid and Mahomes but Andy picked Alex Smith year one as a 32 year old with a few good seasons. Ron would have had nothing but meh at best and 4 underwhelming seasons. 

To be clear, and this might not change anything, but I meant if he takes someone like Ridder this year (after signing Trubisky), he plays sparingly but maybe flashes a bit and then starts next year and performs decently (and shows upside).  Or he signs Trubisky, drafts Ridder, and then next year drafts a 1st round qb and one of the two young guys (Ridder or the 1st rounder) show promise/hope of becoming a franchise level qb (in Ron’s 4th year).

So basically, he’d have addressed qb prior to year 3, but knowing whether we had an ‘answer’ at qb might not come until sometime in year 4.

Not saying that automatically earns him an extension, but other factors aside, it may well if one of those two things happened.

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been skeptical of him since he his first off-season, felt like he strung together way too many bad moves and personnel mistakes in his first two seasons to make the leap to true contention.  But I think the panicky fans are overreacting to a doomed season caused by a bull**** schedule, and I also think a lot of the fans who are starting to turn on the FO are the same ones who were super outspoken in support for Ron last off-season and built up unrealistic expectations for this year.

IMO Rivera has enviable job stability here.  He's bungled and procrastinated choosing a direction the QB position for two years and his seat isn't hot at all.  That is a testament to the power he wields here.  Who is going to fire him?  The owner desperately trying to hide from the league and the public so he doesn't have to sell?  Who has the power to fire Rivera without getting consumed by that decision, especially when he's hovering around 7 wins each year?  Rivera has been the only one at the wheel for this team since he was hired and I don't think he's got a real boss here.

And ultimately that might be for the best because he's not incompetent and he's not going to abuse his power and stop caring about the job or stop competing.

He's going to make a decision at QB this year and we have the assets to get someone who can work.  We're going to pick a QB at 11 and it'll be the QB 1 or 2.  If I had to guess, it'll be Pickett or Willis.  And I think either of them start as rookies and give the team a big lift next season.

This year just sucked.  We were in it until we ran into an utterly bull**** gauntlet of playing teams on extended rest with a skeleton roster in December.  This team is pretty good and will get way better next season with health, a dynamic QB, and a reasonable schedule.

Give us Willis or Pickett, give us a rookie playmaker with our next pick, give us a healthy defense and OL, and spend some damn cap money to bring in real vet quality and keep Scherff and let's go win 10 games next year.  This is very doable and I think Rivera can make it happen.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Now that the seasons are 17 games, I think they will need to have a 10 win 2022 season and have one QB standout as the definitive 2023 starter. If that doesn't occur there will be blowback and Ron's 5th season would be in question. 

Like you I don't mind Ridder in the 2nd, but him as the future is a little hard to see with all those darn inconsistencies 

Edited by DWinzit

Willis has physical tools for days but my gut says pass. I still believe it would be safer to go Pickett (Howell, Corral) assuming the hand concerns are solved and he shows well at the Senior Bowl, which I think he will do. All of them are going to struggle to some extent. All have flaws. I just believe for Willis the transition will be tougher. I think Pickett is the best suited of the bunch to jump into the fire and perhaps crap the bed for a few games but then get a lot better. This is all just pure speculation of course - my gut to the keyboard.

My opinion on the rookies hasn't wavered much.

Overall QB thoughts, though:

Trubisky (Bridgewater, Mariota) + 2nd round rookie (Ridder, Strong, Zappe) = Failure. Yes, there is potential one of those two turn into something. But its very low percentage and too much of a gamble for a team needing a QB.

Trubisky (Bridgewater, Mariota) + Howell (Corral, Willis) = Good. High potential, good talent rookie + stop gap. Plus add Heinicke as your spot starter if the rookie isn't ready or the rookie starts and the vet loses the job to Heinicke for whatever reason.

Rodgers (Wilson) + Ridder (Zappe, Strong) = Good. This won't happen. But high end vet plus hedge your bets rookie is okay

Rodgers (Wilson) + Howell (Corral, Willis) = Close to impossible, but this is epic. And a huge use of resources. But it's not happening. For many reasons.

Carr (Jimmy G) + Ridder (Zappe, Strong) = Passing... Not great but not bad. 

Carr (Jimmy G) + Howell (Corral, Willis) = Good.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

My opinion on the rookies hasn't wavered much.

Overall QB thoughts, though:

Trubisky (Bridgewater, Mariota) + 2nd round rookie (Ridder, Strong, Zappe) = Failure. Yes, there is potential one of those two turn into something. But its very low percentage and too much of a gamble for a team needing a QB.

Agree.  And if I think he plays this card and it doesn't work, which I don't think it will, it likely is a fatal blow.  The reason being is that it will magnify missed opportunirties in 2021 coupled with not taking a strong enough shot in 2022.  the success rate for 2nd-3rd round Qbs is about if I recall 10% at best.  So that's him going with a lotto ticket.  

Trubisky (Bridgewater, Mariota) + Howell (Corral, Willis) = Good. High potential, good talent rookie + stop gap. Plus add Heinicke as your spot starter if the rookie isn't ready or the rookie starts and the vet loses the job to Heinicke for whatever reason.

I can ride with this. go for the highest upside QBs in the draft at least.  I'd have a diffrent order than you but I am ok with those 3 Qbs.

Rodgers (Wilson) + Ridder (Zappe, Strong) = Good. This won't happen. But high end vet plus hedge your bets rookie is okay

Rodgers (Wilson) + Howell (Corral, Willis) = Close to impossible, but this is epic. And a huge use of resources. But it's not happening. For many reasons.

Trading for Rodgers or Wilson would both be stunning and might save them with the fan base.  It's a franchise mostly living on baloney sandwiches at QB, all of sudden thrust with filet mignon.  Seems almost surreal.  I think zero chance at Rodgers.  I used to be at the zero chance thought about Wilson but no more.  My gut tells me they have a fighting chance, small chance but not impossible.

Carr (Jimmy G) + Ridder (Zappe, Strong) = Passing... Not great but not bad. 

Carr (Jimmy G) + Howell (Corral, Willis) = Good.

I am a big Derek Carr guy.  He's no Wilson or Rodgers though of course. I think this would be interesting from a fan point of view.  Some would really like, some would think "meh".  But overall I think this would be really good.

• Like 1

If we get Carr, I doubt we go QB in the draft. He's young enough to be the guy fr as long as the rookie contract.

If we go the worst route, which would be the mitch and ridder in the second, you'll be able to watch peoples heads explode when Ron uses the 1rst rounder on another LBer if we strike out in FA.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Reading the tea leaves as for their current thinking isn't hard as for their top desire.  Not just Keim but from Silver and others and even Ron.

A.  They seem confident they will land a big fish veteran for whatever reason.   

B.  If they don't land said veteran.  Sounds like Rivera is giving a lot of faith in his friends at Buffalo about Trubisky being ripe to be a good reclamation project.   And perhaps they see the top 6 QBs in this draft as very close in ability so they'd hang back and take the 5th or 6th QB who most think are Ridder or Strong.

Also I would sleep on them thinking Howell in that case.  On this board, Howell gets a lot of love.  But he is not getting a lot of love from the media draftnik types aside from PFF and some stragglers. So maybe they see him also as a dude in the 2nd round?  He's in the 2nd in plenty of mocks. 

C.  Maybe the 2nd-3rd round stuff is a head fake?  Rivera has confessed in a Junkies interview he doesn't want other teams to know their intentions in the draft.  I am not the only dude who knows that Keim tends to be the most bulls eye accurate about the team.   So maybe they purposely leaked him a false rumor?   Rivera typically isn't big into misdirection but this off season is unique.  The stakes are high and there are lot of teams wanting QBs.

What makes me wonder this is Ron suggested in a podcast interview that trading up for a QB is on the table.  Maybe he was being genuine then?  Maybe he doesn't want teams to think he will trade up for a QB?

Personally from what I watched, I don't think Trubisky ends up a flamming bust ala Rosen, Darnold in their 2nd stint.  Trubisky strikes me more as sort of the perfect storm WFT QB under Dan's tenure, he has just enough to tease and hang on for a bit, some good games in the mix but on the aggregate you get below average play.  So sort of a 8-9 kind of QB.  He has enough IMO to be middiling.  Enough to have a Trubisky thread with people highlighting his ups. 😀 The irony for me is Ridder strikes me not a mile away from Trubisky if I had to bet on his future.  I don't think Ridder screams bust but I can see him being a seesaw ride, some good games, some bad, but adds up middiling.   The only reasons why I am not completely out on Ridder is his intangibles and mobility.  Maybe he can work through his kinks?

Ramsey had a spell where he showed enough to tease.  Ditto Campbell.  My bet if we go on that kind of ride for 2 years (Trubisky-Ridder) then the conclusion ends up we don't have our guy.  I'd bet more money on Ridder than I would on Trubisky succeeding but got doubts about both. 

If there is some interest in Strong as that podcast purports, he intrigues me more than Trubisky or Ridder.  My issues with Strong are injury history and mobiity/pocket presence but his arm IMO is much more special than Trubisky or Ridder.  His accuracy on all three levels IMO is good.  His deep ball is special.   I am not pining for Strong but his arm talent IMO has more upside than Trubisky or Ridder.  Trubisky's accuracy numbers charted by PFF are basically the twin brother of Sam Darnold, some years even worse.  I like other things about Trubisky than I do about Darnold but i've seen enough that at least in my mind I'd be stunned if Trubisky ends up a franchise QB.  I'll add that i trust Mike Shanahan's takes on QBs, and when Sheehan brought up Trubisky, Shanny basically said sorry no.

Having said that I don't care much if they sign Trubisky on the cheap if they draft a QB high.  But if they do Ridder and Trubisky IMO, they are betting against the odds.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Reading the tea leaves as for their current thinking isn't hard as for their top desire.  Not just Keim but from Silver and others and even Ron.

A.  They seem confident they will land a big fish veteran for whatever reason.   

B.  If they don't land said veteran.  Sounds like Rivera is giving a lot of faith in his friends at Buffalo about Trubisky being ripe to be a good reclamation project.   And perhaps they see the top 6 QBs in this draft as very close in ability so they'd hang back and take the 5th or 6th QB who most think are Ridder or Strong.

Also I would sleep on them thinking Howell in that case.  On this board, Howell gets a lot of love.  But he is not getting a lot of love from the media draftnik types aside from PFF and some stragglers. So maybe they see him also as a dude in the 2nd round?  He's in the 2nd in plenty of mocks. 

C.  Maybe the 2nd-3rd round stuff is a head fake?  Rivera has confessed in a Junkies interview he doesn't want other teams to know their intentions in the draft.  I am not the only dude who knows that Keim tends to be the most bulls eye accurate about the team.   So maybe they purposely leaked him a false rumor?   Rivera typically isn't big into misdirection but this off season is unique.  The stakes are high and there are lot of teams wanting QBs.

What makes me wonder this is Ron suggested in a podcast interview that trading up for a QB is on the table.  Maybe he was being genuine then?  Maybe he doesn't want teams to think he will trade up for a QB?

Personally from what I watched, I don't think Trubisky ends up a flamming bust ala Rosen, Darnold in their 2nd stint.  Trubisky strikes me more as sort of the perfect storm WFT QB under Dan's tenure, he has just enough to tease and hang on for a bit, some good games in the mix but on the aggregate you get below average play.  So sort of a 8-9 kind of QB.  He has enough IMO to be middiling.  Enough to have a Trubisky thread with people highlighting his ups. 😀 The irony for me is Ridder strikes me not a mile away from Trubisky if I had to bet on his future.  I don't think Ridder screams bust but I can see him being a seesaw ride, some good games, some bad, but adds up middiling.   The only reasons why I am not completely out on Ridder is his intangibles and mobility.  Maybe he can work through his kinks?

Ramsey had a spell where he showed enough to tease.  Ditto Campbell.  My bet if we go on that kind of ride for 2 years (Trubisky-Ridder) then the conclusion ends up we don't have our guy.  I'd bet more money on Ridder than I would on Trubisky succeeding but got doubts about both. 

If there is some interest in Strong as that podcast purports, he intrigues me more than Trubisky or Ridder.  My issues with Strong are injury history and mobiity/pocket presence but his arm IMO is much more special than Trubisky or Ridder.  His accuracy on all three levels IMO is good.  His deep ball is special.   I am not pining for Strong but his arm talent IMO has more upside than Trubisky or Ridder.  Trubisky's accuracy numbers charted by PFF are basically the twin brother of Sam Darnold, some years even worse.  I like other things about Trubisky than I do about Darnold but i've seen enough that at least in my mind I'd be stunned if Trubisky ends up a franchise QB.  I'll add that i trust Mike Shanahan's takes on QBs, and when Sheehan brought up Trubisky, Shanny basically said sorry no.

Having said that I don't care much if they sign Trubisky on the cheap if they draft a QB high.  But if they do Ridder and Trubisky IMO, they are betting against the odds.

I think Rivera may already have something done with one of these vet Qb. I think it is a vet Qb could be any of them but most likely Trubisky. Him not going to the senior bowl is definitely I think a tell. These teams all talk during season hopefully its already done. They definitely seem very confident.

Edited by Redskins 2021

If you believe in Trubs being a Reclamation project a la Tannehill why bring in another guy behind him to hedge your bets before he even plays a game? Especially if its with the day 2 guys who are the roughly 7% hit rate. Even more so in a weak class. Sounds like hes trying to do both things and will fail at both because Reclamation projects rarely work. He has to go all in down one path and hope for the best. 

2 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

If you believe in Trubs being a Reclamation project a la Tannehill why bring in another guy behind him to hedge your bets before he even plays a game? Especially if its with the day 2 guys who are the roughly 7% hit rate. Even more so in a weak class. Sounds like hes trying to do both things and will fail at both because Reclamation projects rarely work. He has to go all in down one path and hope for the best. 

Could be but I am hoping this confidence is not for Trubisky 

I've watched enough cut ups and analysis of Corral now to finally put my finger on why I have started to like Pickett a little over him despite him being faster and having a better arm.  Pickett has better instincts than him and he's more of a dime dropper, especially downfield and in between and around the hashes.  Corral kind of struggles a bit with the deep ball and throwing the seams.  He's going to turn you and break your stride or get you hit, and that's one reason why I don't think his big play production was as high as Pickett's this year. Kind of noticed it last year too with big plays that probably should have gone for TDs to Elijah Moore but the placement wasn't quite right.  TBH short and outside with quick outs were parts of the field where his accuracy looked really good and natural.  And I think that's because their offense was so heavy on swings and screens and those short outs as a way to essentially create a horizontal run game.

He doesn't feel like a totally natural QB like Pickett to me, and it's a processing issue IMO.  In the A&M game he's got a 4th and goal toward the end of the second quarter and they run a goal line shotgun RPO package with an early motion that tells him A&M is in cover zero.  The design of the play is for a mesh on the outside to create space for a swing pass to the H Back and free him to the edge.  Corral pulls the ball and then takes the first throwing window to the H after he reads that the guy who is supposed to be covering him is caught in no man's land and has shifted to trying to rush him and get into the throwing lane.  The play gets sped up as a result and the mesh ends up not working and the defender who is supposed to get picked rallies to the ball for the big turnover on downs play.  In a situation like that Corral would have done one of two different things to make that play if he was a total natural: buy time for a second window to open up on the outside of the play and give the H more space and a better chance to get to the edge of the D.  Or clock that the D is in cover zero and if he stays in the pocket instead of drifting left, or just stops drifting and steps up, then he has his favorite target in Drummond inside, especially after the mesh fails.   He needed to read the coverage and anticipate better to rescue that play.  I think there are a lot of little missed reads like that which contribute to him not making as many big plays as Pickett this season.

I also don't accept the take that Corral is more careful with the ball than Pickett.  He had two really bad fumbles in the second quarter of that game where he was so loose with the ball and another throw that should have been a pick that was just bad placement throwing downfield against man coverage.  A career 2:1 TD to INT ratio is OK but it's worse than Pickett's.  IMO he is looser with the ball than Pickett and doesn't instinctively protect it into contact the way he should. 

And I have criticized Pickett for some happy feet and being to quick to bail sound pockets, but Corral has the opposite issue IMO.  He works with less five man protections than Pickett and gets more quick passes schemed in and he still holds the ball too long too often.  I don't think he's as good at reading pressures and anticipating protection issues as Pickett and that goes back to him not being as instinctive at the position as Pickett is.

I like Corral and think he's got markedly better arm talent than Pickett and he's got much quicker feet and he is a good fit for a really quick passing game like Ole Miss ran.  But I think the placement issues with Corral are more of a hindrance than we've talked about, and I just don't think he sees the field as well as Pickett.  I think he could work out, but I can't really talk myself into picking him over Pickett if they're both on the board at 11, and they should be.  He's kind of stuck in between Pickett and Willis for me--not nearly as athletic or high ceiling of a project as Willis and not as good today as Pickett. 

And if I'm being totally honest, Howell is noticeably more accurate than him too.  I like his arm better than Howell's and he is way faster and more fluid of an athlete, and I don't think Howell reads the field really well.  IMO Corral saw it better this year and did a better job managing pressure and he also managed to look faster than Howell on two bad ankles.  I would choose Corral over Howell as my third choice and not really have too much doubt about it.  More of a consideration of can I get Howell at a better price than Corral to make up that gap in their quality.  But I like Willis and Pickett best at 11 and feel they represent good value there.

This is for the purpose of sorting out the hierarchy among the QB class though.  I would not be locked in to picking any of them at 11, I would play the vet market first just to see what shakes out of the tree, but I would absolutely make sure we got one of these four QBs or Ridder if we strike out on the good vets.

• Like 1