Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Collins played well in his new position but the issue is its a lot of money to pay a type of player that doesn't really have that much of an impact in today's pass happy NFL. 

If Davis moves to OLB and we get a new MLB, where do we put Collins? Assuming Holcomb plays the other OLB spot. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Collins played well in his new position but the issue is its a lot of money to pay a type of player that doesn't really have that much of an impact in today's pass happy NFL. 

If Davis moves to OLB and we get a new MLB, where do we put Collins? Assuming Holcomb plays the other OLB spot. 

Exactly and you can’t take Kam off the field and Kam also can’t be your FS. You gain so much bu cutting him. 

it should be telling if Ron wants to keep him. It might show that he’s still set in some old school thought stopping the run is the most important part of defense (it’s statistically irrelevant to success)

Edited by Zim489

Terry broke 1000 yards and Hump had 383.  All other receivers had under 300 for the year.  McKissic was the second leading receiver with 397 before his injury.

I don't completely blame receivers as the QB needs to get it to them.  It does open up the question were they open and just not getting the ball or couldn't they get open?

I'd be open to another option at receiver to complement Terry.  Samuel obviously didn't play much this season and imo shouldn't be relied on heavily going into next.

12 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

SIP do you have their grades on deep throws by chance? 

I do.  I don't take them as seriously because with deep throws, when you take your shots IMO can really influence your grade one way or another.  The more YOLO Qbs might have lower grades and the more conservatives one higher ones.

So in short, 5 of the top 6 QBs have almost identical scores in the 90s.   The dude who is behind them is Howell with a score in the 70s.  But like i said I don't put much stock in the deep passing grades.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

it should be telling if Ron wants to keep him. It might show that he’s still set in some old school thought stopping the run is the most important part of defense (it’s statistically irrelevant to success)

Didn't the eagles rush 41 times against us, averaging almost SIX yards per carry?, Dominate TOP and rush for 11 first downs, and still put up 27 points in spite of 2 turnovers??? If you can't stop the run, it doesn't matter if you have an all star defensive backfield (and we don't)

41 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Didn't the eagles rush 41 times against us, averaging almost SIX yards per carry?, Dominate TOP and rush for 11 first downs, and still put up 27 points in spite of 2 turnovers??? If you can't stop the run, it doesn't matter if you have an all star defensive backfield (and we don't)

*Also against a team missing half it's players due to a covid outbreak.*

Interesting....An open door might be there at #4

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/new-york-jets-joe-douglas-open-to-trading-draft-picks-for-proven-players-this-offseason

Asked specifically about flipping some of his draft picks in exchange for proven talent, Douglas didn't rule it out, reiterating that this team will be aggressive all offseason long. 

"We have great flexibility to really use these assets in different ways," he said. "You've seen teams do that in the past couple years where they've used draft assets for proven players. Those are all things that coach and I are going to talk about. Again, it starts with the end of season meeting with the coaches, but these are things that we're definitely going to talk about moving forward. We're fortunate to be in this position to have this kind of flexibility. I think we're always going to be aggressive if the right opportunity presents itself. The good thing is that moving forward, we can be in just about any discussion when it comes to player trades."

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, OMacAttack said:

Terry broke 1000 yards and Hump had 383.  All other receivers had under 300 for the year.  McKissic was the second leading receiver with 397 before his injury.

I don't completely blame receivers as the QB needs to get it to them.  It does open up the question were they open and just not getting the ball or couldn't they get open?

I'd be open to another option at receiver to complement Terry.  Samuel obviously didn't play much this season and imo shouldn't be relied on heavily going into next.

Our WRs are really bad outside of McLaurin. Hump was a vet minimum FA, on any other team he's like the 4th or 5th guy at best. We banked on Samuel who got hurt and D. Brown who looks like Doctson 2.0.

Just by the comments above from Ron Strong will be off their board. Its a shame. Because I really love the guys arm. And due to his lack of athleticism he has the best chance of falling into the 2nd or 3rd IMO. Strong would be a great fit for Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay I think.

Edited by clskinsfan

I am not a scout but as a "Miami guy" that goes to many of their games I have watched both Howell and Pickett numerous times in person as they are in the same division in the ACC as the Canes.

The Canes faced both guys 3 times in their careers with Pickett missing the game his junior year. During their careers Howell always seemed like the better QB to me personally and that is with Pickett torching the Canes for over 500 yards this past season. He obviously made many good throws that game but also made some bad decisions. I never once while watching him had hopes of the WFT getting him. Maybe it had to do with their overall records playing the Canes as Howell went 3-0 and Pickett 0-3 but I just know the way I felt during those games. 

I went back to look at it statistically to see if my feeling matched up. In those games Howell completed 68% of his throws with 9.4 yards per attempt with a 5-1 TD/INT ratio. Pickett was at 65% with 7.2 yards per attempt and a 3-4 TD/INT ratio. All 3 of Pickett's TD's came this season.

What does any of this mean? With my QB track record it probably means Pickett is the next Tom Brady and Howell is the next Mark Sanchez.

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

I hope we are looking hard at WR personally. There are a lot of options. Draft wise George Pickens, Justyn Ross, Dontario Drummond and Romeo Doubs are appealing to me. I'm not as enamored with Drake as most. 

I think they need to grab a proven veteran to fill that WR2 spot next season. This regime has sucked at WR picks so far with AGG and Dyami. I think the easiest move is a pick swap for Marvin Jones where we trade our 6th for their 7th. You would have him for a year at a reasonable cap hit

• Thanks 1

Just now, method man said:

I think they need to grab a proven veteran to fill that WR2 spot next season. This regime has sucked at WR picks so far with AGG and Dyami. I think the easiest move is a pick swap for Marvin Jones where we trade our 6th for their 7th. You would have him for a year at a reasonable cap hit

Too early to judge Dyami but I don’t think he’s a 2. He’s a deep threat 3-4 that can take the top off of a defense. 

Team needs a Garçon type receiver. That changes everything.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Too early to judge Dyami but I don’t think he’s a 2. He’s a deep threat 3-4 that can take the top off of a defense. 

I really think they might have one in Cam Sims if they ever play him consistently.

But I would draft another WR this year because this class is very deep.

5 minutes ago, Poindexter said:

I really think they might have one in Cam Sims if they ever play him consistently.

But I would draft another WR this year because this class is very deep.

I like Cam but he doesn't consistently beat man coverage and his hands are shaky. They should keep him for teams and depth but he's not a WR2

1 hour ago, method man said:

I agree. I'm just spit-balling names in the draft trying to get a feel for the landscape. For me, in the FA route I'd like James Washington, Zay Jones - and I like Marvin Jones too. 

2 hours ago, method man said:

i liiiiiike this deal. Submit it to the league and I'll sign off on it. Jones would be great for TH in his second year as starting QB.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Just to make sure we're on the same page for what a Garcon type is, do you mean a feisty possession WR that attacks the ball with his hands and doesn't wait for the ball to come to him?  Has some wiggle in his routes and some juice to his steps out of his breaks to create separation, but isn't really a deep threat?  Seems to play well when angry?

I've been trying to find a good player projection for this, and it's a totally different body type...but Drake London exhibits some of that "I want the ball" that Garcon had.

The epitome of a Garcon type is maybe Michael Thomas on the Saints.  Not a deep threat, but a threat short, intermediate, middle of field, boundary, etc.

I don't think we are anywhere near the position to grab London.  But I've seen him talked about as low as WR 5 in this draft.  If that's the case...maybe he can slip a bit?

6 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Just to make sure we're on the same page for what a Garcon type is, do you mean a feisty possession WR that attacks the ball with his hands and doesn't wait for the ball to come to him?  Has some wiggle in his routes and some juice to his steps out of his breaks to create separation, but isn't really a deep threat?  Seems to play well when angry?

I've been trying to find a good player projection for this, and it's a totally different body type...but Drake London exhibits some of that "I want the ball" that Garcon had.

The epitome of a Garcon type is maybe Michael Thomas on the Saints.  Not a deep threat, but a threat short, intermediate, middle of field, boundary, etc.

I don't think we are anywhere near the position to grab London.  But I've seen him talked about as low as WR 5 in this draft.  If that's the case...maybe he can slip a bit?

Drake London is a good example. Yes.

4 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Just by the comments above from Ron Strong will be off their board. Its a shame. Because I really love the guys arm. And due to his lack of athleticism he has the best chance of falling into the 2nd or 3rd IMO. Strong would be a great fit for Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay I think.

Just watched this, Laconfora interviewed, from minute about 26 or so through 32 its about Washington.  Laconfora is far from bullet proof as to getting things right.  But he seems to have some sources with this team, he was first from what i recall about Dan wanting Haskins and if i recall he first reported the rumblings involved Trent before it went south.

Two points hit me interesting.  He seemed to suggest the draft might end up the avenue for the WFT, he knows they spent a ton of time on these QBs in this draft.   He said among the people he talked to in the NFL, Carson Strong stands out, but they want to know the medicals first, combine will be key for him because of the medicals done then.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I take it as we need a bigger, physical receiver who catches the ball and can run after the catch being hard to bring down. A guy who's a matchup problem because of his physical build and ability to use his size. Deebo Samuel is a Garcon type but probably a faster version. Where do you find these type of receivers? Kind of sounds like something Antonio Gibson was in college to me. Samuel is a physical, strong WR but he is smaller. How about Mike Williams of the Chargers? He's a free agent to be this offseason. 

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just watched this, Laconfora interviewed, from minute about 26 or so through 32 its about Washington.  Laconfora is far from bullet proof as to getting things right.  But he seems to have some sources with this team, he was first from what i recall about Dan wanting Haskins and if i recall he first reported the rumblings involved Trent before it went south.

Wait...could he even have those same sources though?  Maybe he's got sources that have recently arrived or something, but Ron Rivera has fired pretty much everybody that ever shook hands with Bruce Allen.  Who would even be left?

2 hours ago, method man said:

I wanted us to grab Jones last year, great fit. If you could work out a trade like that it wouldn't be costly. He would come with 5-6 mil cap hit. Would be nice to spread that out by extending the contract a year

5 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Wait...could he even have those same sources though?  Maybe he's got sources that have recently arrived or something, but Ron Rivera has fired pretty much everybody that ever shook hands with Bruce Allen.  Who would even be left?

There are some in that FO that are still there including the same dude being in charge of college evaulations in Tim Gribble.   Didn't feel like he was just making it up out of thin air when he was talking.  But impossible to know.   He hyped Marty Hurney so its possible he knows him. 

• Like 1