Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

On 11/30/2021 at 2:45 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Watching Seattle's lbers and safeties work last night was a treat.  So physical, pretty much a tackling and diagnostic and block shedding clinic.  They humbled our pass catchers and runners and linemen.  Beat them up pretty bad too, to the point that it is going to effect us next week.  Wagner and Adams are Wagner and Adams, the warrior elite the entire league.  But I had no idea that Quandre Diggs and Jordyn Brooks were that good.  I liked Brooks as a prospect--not as a first round pick--but I didn't realize he had made the leap as a player yet.  It made me antsy about Jamin's development arc, because it feels like he is really far from being that kind of player right now.

Wagner is a HOFer no question and Adams has always been awesome around the LOS and in the run game. But while I agree the Wagner and Brooks had good games overall, they also allowed 16 receptions for 131 yards on 18 targets (9 per player) per PFF. So the coverage from that unit wasn't all that good.

That being said, Brooks (obv. not even talking about Wagner) would be an immediate upgrade for us.

Davis has looked lost more often than not but he also has basically no experience and is all traits. Still holding out hope.

Davis might flash one play a game but otherwise is pretty invisible. On the flip side I don't see him giving up huge plays like Bostic was so I guess that's a positive.

We drafted him way too early at 19. I'm gonna look at it like we took Cosmi in the 1st and Davis in the 2nd.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Panninho said:

Wagner is a HOFer no question and Adams has always been awesome around the LOS and in the run game. But while I agree the Wagner and Brooks had good games overall, they also allowed 16 receptions for 131 yards on 18 targets (9 per player) per PFF. So the coverage from that unit wasn't all that good.

That being said, Brooks (obv. not even talking about Wagner) would be an immediate upgrade for us.

Davis has looked lost more often than not but he also has basically no experience and is all traits. Still holding out hope.

Wagner is obviously more of a wild card, but Brooks/Wagner are more thumper type backers. Yes, Wagner can do everything. But he brings the lumber. WFT seems to like faster coverage types. I don't agree with WFT's philosophy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Wagner is obviously more of a wild card, but Brooks/Wagner are more thumper type backers. Yes, Wagner can do everything. But he brings the lumber. WFT seems to like faster coverage types. I don't agree with WFT's philosophy.

I think in today's NFL you want guys who can run and cover downfield with how much more open and pass happy the NFL is. But if that were our MO, we should have just taken JOK.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I think in today's NFL you want guys who can run and cover downfield with how much more open and pass happy the NFL is. But if that were our MO, we should have just taken JOK.

I think you need those guys... but at Buffalo Nickel/Hybrid safety/LB spots. Slot defenders. You need 5 guys who can cover on every play. If you want to bring exotic blitzes you need at least one ILB that can do that. If you don't want to be overly exotic and want to rely on more vanilla both ILBs can be less coverage inclined. 

• Like 1

Considering how much zone coverage teams play, it seems to me it’s far more important for a backer to be able to fill run lanes, get off or avoid blocks and even rush the passer.  I think that’s a major reason Collins has been effective.  Seems like Holcomb and Davis are improving on this front.

Everyone knows that we are lacking a true Free Safety to improve the back end of the defense.  I doubt Notre Dame FS Kyle Hamilton will be available at our draft position.  However, there are still some great prospects available. Below is a list of FS that I feel would be solid additions to THE Football Team that can be had in rounds 2-7:

Jordan Battle (Alabama)

Lewis Cine (Georgia)
Verone McKinley III (Oregon)

Isaiah Pola-Moa (USC)

Smoke Monday (Auburn)

• Like 2

I hope they are wrong but its looking like Parsons is special.  Will McClay who runs their drafts is a stud

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Even in todays NFL, you still need that big bully in the middle. There will always be a place for the Urlachers and Lewis's. 

I like Mamu in the 3rd if we miss on Dean and Lloyd.

Agree and we've been missing that guy since Fletcher left.    FS & MLB.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I see a lot similarities between Matt Corral and Tua Tagovailoa.  They're both quick-read guys with quick, compact releases.  They both throw the ball like darts, snapping it off at the shoulder.  The downside is that without much wind-up, it makes it hard to arc and drive the ball down the field (like a Russell Wilson).  However, that's not necessarily a bad thing, just a different style (more West Coast, timing routes, pre-snap reads).  I'm going to pay close attention to Tua, because if he can be successful with his style in Miami, then Corral can definitely be successful, too.

Finally saw 1 game of Corral, against Texas A&M.  Need to see way more before I make a judgement, but immediate take is he doesn't look worth trading up for.  Really hope wins continue and Heinicke shows he should get a fair shot in 2022.  Like a full season without a 1st rounder breathing down his neck type of fair shot. 

10 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Badie seems like the kind of back our coaches would love to see.

Badie is undersized and doesn't seem to bring nearly as much as Patterson. If we're gonna add a back, bring along a 230lb+ Thumper. The type of offense we're running seems to need a time of possession, beat you up,  wear you down guy. We don't have that component and it's a missing piece

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Finally saw 1 game of Corral, against Texas A&M.  Need to see way more before I make a judgement, but immediate take is he doesn't look worth trading up for.  Really hope wins continue and Heinicke shows he should get a fair shot in 2022.  Like a full season without a 1st rounder breathing down his neck type of fair shot. 

ive watched corral play a bunch. 

im not impressed. 

17 hours ago, illone said:

ive watched corral play a bunch. 

im not impressed. 

I've watched more and more and I'm still of the mindset he's near the top of the draft in QBs but overall I think I'd have him below the top 5 from last year's class.

I think I'd have Howell in the 4/5 range... Right around Mac. Not sure exactly where, though. 

I don't think any QB is worth trading up for in the draft if the idea is trading major draft capital.  but I suspect we won't have to give up major capital.  It's not like it costs an arm and a leg to trade up for every QB.  It typically depends on the specific prospect.

I am still studying the QBs but have gotten deep on some of them.  This is my cliff notes feeling right now on some of them and I've watched more than just these guys.

Matt Corral:  IMO he's the real deal.  His body language fakes for play action etc. reminds me the most among these QBs of Mac Jones.  He strikes me in that Mac Jones range as far as ability.  And I was a Mac Jones guy before the last draft.   His accuracy in the flat isn't Jones caliber. But he's faster and throws a better deep ball.   Stronger arm.   Concern:  heavy RPO offense and his size and style that he plays with could lend to injuries.  

I like him more than most here it seems.  I am a big fan of his.

Kenny Pickett:  I am having a hard time making my mind up about him.   When I watched Mac Jones before the last draft I often said he's similar in some ways to Kirk Cousins.  Watching Pickett, he feels like a poor man's Kirk Cousins.  What I like the best about Pickett is he can move in the pocket and make plays.  But there is something that's stopping me from falling hard for him and I can't quite place it yet.  But if I hear he has elite intangibles, I could be sold on him.  

For now I like him less than most mock draft guys do.  But I am intrigued enough if I hear things about his intangibles considering there is nothing about his play that turns me off.  I am just having a hard time getting excited about him. 

Malik Willis:  I've only watched 2 games.  I got to watch more. I am a sucker though for high upside QBs if the upside includes uber mobility.  Not sure yet about him.  Need to watch more.  I know over the years on the draft thread, high ceiling, low floor prospects don't always get a lot of love.  I recall the debate for example that was had about Mahomes among others.   So I expect some hammering of Willis on the thread.   And I get it, it stinks to get a bust if the low floor comes into play.  I got to explore more but i am intrigued. 

Sam Howell:  I like him more than most do.  He has a really good arm.  Nice deep ball.  Good accuracy.  Like Corral he's a baller who sacrifices his body to win a game.  I like though Corral over him.  IMO Corral is a half a peg better on a number of things.   My pause about Howell is pocket presence -- vision?  I suspect he might be our best shot as for trading up without giving up the farm, and count me among the few people here who would like that. 

Desmond Ridder.  He puzzles me the most among these guys because he can be a totally different player from game to game.  Heck from quarter to quarter.  It's like has two different personalities on the field.  He has a live arm.  He can run.  If his WRs are open, he hits them in stride.  But he also has IMO more red flags than the others -- struggles with easy throws in the flat, makes some really bad decisions in some games, struggles at times throwing to the left.

Its strange for me to say this because I touted Ridder last year when he wasn't as hyped as he is now.  But I disagree with Kiper and some of the others who I think overrate him.  In the 2nd round, I'd like Ridder.  Maybe the late first.  But I have some reservations about him that I have a hard time shutting down in my mind when I think about him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Seems like a home state stretch.

I would go Thibideaux over Hutchinson but IMO its not that much of a stretch.  It's not the first mock draft where I've seen the two pass rushers back to back 1 and 2.  But Hutchinson was #2 in the other mock.  Trying to recall whose mock that was?  It was from one of the more well known mock drafters. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 3.54.30 PM.png

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Malik Willis:  I've only watched 2 games.  I got to watch more. I am a sucker though for high upside QBs if the upside includes uber mobility.  Not sure yet about him.  Need to watch more.  I know over the years on the draft thread, high ceiling, low floor prospects don't always get a lot of love.  I recall the debate for example that was had about Mahomes among others.   So I expect some hammering of Willis on the thread.   And I get it, it stinks to get a bust if the low floor comes into play.  I got to explore more but i am intrigued. 

Somewhat disagree here. Willis is a one read and run QB who's almost more of a RB than a QB. Mahomes was a passing juggernaut at Texas Tech. Yes he certainly ran for a fair amount of TDs, but he also passed for 93 of them (in only 3 seasons). IMO he was way way above where Willis is now as a pure passer.

He was also playing against much better competition and had a crap supporting cast and defense so he basically had to do everything himself. He was regularly throwing up 3, 4, 5 TDs and his team still lost those games.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2