Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 minute ago, method man said:

Howell with some balls

Yeah it’s part of the reason why I like him. He is a baller.  I still like Corral the most. But to me there is a toughness about both Corral and Howell that I really like. They remind me of each other in some ways stylistically. 

Both ballers. They both are mobile and can throw a wicked deep ball 

Before the season I was a Howell guy, then I got lukewarm on him for awhile. After the last few games including tonight I am firmly back on the Howell train. It’s not that he’s my top QB in the draft. I am still on team Corral.  But he’s in the mix for me as to who I like next. I am still working on figuring that out.

I love his toughness. He has good arm talent, is mobile, has decent accuracy.  There is plenty that I like.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Howell was dealt a tough hand this year and has handled it admirably. If that doesn't scream WTF QB, I don't know what does.

Yep and our O line is way better than N. Carolina and ditto our supporting cast.  How QBs play under duress is obviously very relevant to the NFL.  You rarely play with clean pockets consistently. 

But yeah he's a tough dude, gritty, baller.  Like I've been saying he and Corral as far as style remind me of each other.  And lol, yeah to play here yeah you got to be tough. 😀   Both Corral and Howell have good arm talent too, they can really sling it.  Corral's running IMO will translate better to the pros.  Corral flings himself some into defenders too like Howell but not as much.  

i know most mock drafters oddly don't even put him in the first round.  Maybe that changes after tonight.  for me he's in the same conversation with the other billed QBs in this draft.  I am still thinking of how to seperate this group in my mind.  but for now, Howell intrigues me for sure.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Howell has played decently so far in the 2nd half. He has a tough task. Poor O line play, drops.

Ive liked what I’ve seen from Pickett today but nothing so far has turned me off from Howell.   He’s been OK IMO factoring context. 

Howell running up the A gap as often as he does is odd, he’s going to get hurt playing like that. Corral does that at times too but Corral runs around the edges it seems much more, NFL style. 

I too was concerned about that, especially running it twice in a row when the first time only produced three yards. 

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The arm strength on that deep ball from Howell just now really impressive 

7 hours ago, method man said:

Howell with some balls

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I love his toughness. He has good arm talent, is mobile, has decent accuracy.  There is plenty that I like.

Thrilled Howell was able to bring the team back into the game, he is a baller. Besides the great qualities you list, he is a respected leader by teammates. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep and our O line is way better than N. Carolina and ditto our supporting cast.  How QBs play under duress is obviously very relevant to the NFL.  You rarely play with clean pockets consistently. 

But yeah he's a tough dude, gritty, baller.  Like I've been saying he and Corral as far as style remind me of each other.  And lol, yeah to play here yeah you got to be tough. 😀   Both Corral and Howell have good arm talent too, they can really sling it.  Corral's running IMO will translate better to the pros.  Corral flings himself some into defenders too like Howell but not as much.  

i know most mock drafters oddly don't even put him in the first round.  Maybe that changes after tonight.  for me he's in the same conversation with the other billed QBs in this draft.  I am still thinking of how to seperate this group in my mind.  but for now, Howell intrigues me for sure.

He's consistently good, too. He has the same type of Mac Jones vibe from last year, where he's not doing anything extremely remarkable, but is doing everything pretty well. Getting the balls to his play makers and letting them do the work, like he's suppose to. I really like Howell and think he's going to be very good. 

That pass is nasty btw.

I'd probably be more comfortable with Howell than anyone other than Corral I suppose. I think he's "my guy" for us. 

35 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He's consistently good, too. He has the same type of Mac Jones vibe from last year, where he's not doing anything extremely remarkable, but is doing everything pretty well. Getting the balls to his play makers and letting them do the work, like he's suppose to. I really like Howell and think he's going to be very good. 

That pass is nasty btw.

I'd probably be more comfortable with Howell than anyone other than Corral I suppose. I think he's "my guy" for us. 

Yeah one of things I look for when watching a QB is how do they play under duress.  Howell seems to handle it well.  Part of what turned me off to Haskins for example was the Penn State game where he looked like a different guy when he wasn't playing with a clean pocket.  I wasn't much of a Daniel Jones guy in that draft but I acceded he was tough in the pocket, he was under seige at Duke and handled it well.  Jones IMO hasn't been hot in the NFL but not a disaster either and his toughness in the pocket has translated to the NFL.  Sadly for him so did his propensity for turnovers. 

I think the Baker Mayfield comps for Howell are apt.  Maybe Derek Carr?  Assuming it all comes together for him.  

Pickett to me stylistically reminds me more of Mac Jones than Howell though he's different flavor than Mac, too.   I liked Pickett yesterday too.  i mentioned Pickett early in the season.  So I've paid some attention but I haven't gone into a deep dive.  He's been a slow burn for me but he is growing on me.   I know some think Joe Burrow.  For me he doesn't hit me as that high of a calibar QB.  I recall watching Burrow his last season and felt he was unstoppable and that's against SEC defenses.  I don't have that intense of a vibe about Pickett, at least not yet.   

He IMO doesn't have Mac's level of accuracy albeit Pickett's ball placement is definitely good.  Arm strength about the same.   Pickett though is more mobile.  Like Mac he keeps his shoulders square while throwing on the move.    Pickett seems really comfortable throwing on the move -- roll outs/boots.   And he looks really smooth when he does it. 

• Like 1

I'd add John Madden back in the day when he called games would love Howell.   He loved the tough guys who would wear it on their sleeve so to speak.

You got Howell playing sleeveless.  You could see the cut on his arm.  Towards the end, he was basically playing through rain and then a monsoon.  And he was under seige -- his o line often couldn't protect him.  

Almost like a plot out of a movie. 

And he came back.  I think they'd have had a shot in overtime but the rain Gods weren't smiling on him.  The rain picked up like mad when N. Carolina got the ball during that last drive. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Howell had a great night. I think he's my preferred quarterback in this draft. Corral probably has the highest upside, Howell has the highest floor. Howell's ceiling is probably a notch below Corral's but Corral is a higher risk.

I'm with you on this. I think he's my QB1, which is great for us, because we'll probably win a few more games and be out of the top 5 in the draft.

• Like 1

Listening to Rivera this morning, Sheehan asked him what player does he think is coming on where he expected a bigger 2nd half.  He mentioned McCain.  Saying he's starting to really understand their scheme and is coming on as a player.  Interesting.  Not sure where the point applies.     On offense he mentioned Dyami, expecting a better 2nd half. 

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

All kinds of love for Howell in here this morning. He wasnt even the best QB on the field last night IMO. I like his arm a lot though. 

I look for consistency with their tenure as college QB's. Howell would have been a first round pick last year as well, similar to how Herbert went back and was still a first rounder. He's a gamer. Pickett is a few years older and has gotten better but, as noted, he would have been a late rounder last year if he was drafted.

Having said that, he does look good this year and I wouldn't be upset with him as our horse going forward but I stand by Howell. I think Howell, given some of the offensive talent we have, will be a rockstar.

Just now, method man said:

Let’s hope some teams really fall in love with Willis and Ridder and Ridder and grade them as QB2/QB3 closer to draft time. Hopefully Howell continues to go under the radar

Howell isn't under the radar at all and could very well still be the 1st QB off the board. I'm sure many are like me in the fact that I wouldn't touch Willis, and Corral is a much higher risk

I like Howell for us. We won't have the #1 pick but I feel like it's gonna be one of those years where the 3rd or 4th QB taken ends up being the best of the lot. Think Roethlisberger in 04, Wilson in 12, or even Herbert in 20. Let Pickett and Wilis go to the Lions and Texans. Howell helps us in 2022 while still having really future upside.