Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

I've watched two of Strong's games.  I recorded Friday's game but haven't watched it.

Strong somewhat confuses me so far.  He has IMO the best deep ball of this class.  Beautiful.  But his accuracy outside of that is good IMO but nothing special -- its not like Mac Jones or Burrow, etc.  He seemed to struggle with some intermediate route throws.

He plays shot gun.  He throws a lot without even doing the three step-5 step typical pro movement.  The ball comes to him and he throws.  Some say although he's not mobile, he can move.  I think no.  Or it depends on your definition of moving.  I think most QBs can move a little.  I considered Trask immobile but i didn't mean it literally.  Trask can move a little.  Trask would on occasion successful move away from pressure in the pocket but IMO that wasn't his thing.  IMO from what I've seen its not Strong's thing either.   I don't love his pocket movement.  As an athlete he looks stiff to me.  

But again I love the deep ball and he had some nice passes in his repetoire.  From what I've seen I get why most mock drafters don't have him ranked as high as the top 4.  But again i have to watch more.  2 games isn't enough so my mind my change. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've watched two of Strong's games.  I recorded Friday's game but haven't watched it.

Strong somewhat confuses me so far.  He has IMO the best deep ball of this class.  Beautiful.  But his accuracy outside of that is good IMO but nothing special -- its not like Mac Jones or Burrow, etc.  He seemed to struggle with some intermediate route throws.

He plays shot gun.  He throws a lot without even doing the three step-5 step typical pro movement.  The ball comes to him and he throws.  Some say although he's not mobile, he can move.  I think no.  Or it depends on your definition of moving.  I think most QBs can move a little.  I considered Trask immobile but i didn't mean it literally.  Trask can move a little.  Trask would on occasion successful move away from pressure in the pocket but IMO that wasn't his thing.  IMO from what I've seen its not Strong's thing either.   I don't love his pocket movement.  As an athlete he looks stiff to me.  

But again I love the deep ball and he had some nice passes in his repetoire.  From what I've seen I get why most mock drafters don't have him ranked as high as the top 4.  But again i have to watch more.  2 games isn't enough so my mind my change. 

I don't think that a non-mobile quarterback would work at all in this system.  Turner shined with Newton and Heine (relative as at least Heine can move around).  I know, I know, 5-2 with Smith, but that's when our defense was insanely good as opposed to insanely bad.

I'm so disappointed in winning that goddamn division last year.  Fields at least from the highlights yesterday is EVERYTHING I wanted.

5 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I don't think that a non-mobile quarterback would work at all in this system.  Turner shined with Newton and Heine (relative as at least Heine can move around).  I know, I know, 5-2 with Smith, but that's when our defense was insanely good as opposed to insanely bad.

I'm so disappointed in winning that goddamn division last year.  Fields at least from the highlights yesterday is EVERYTHING I wanted.

Turner was never Cams OC. Just the QB coach, until the final 6 games his final year in Carolina.

2 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Yeah I watched some of the Bears game.  Fields looked good.  I liked him in that draft.  I know some on the QB thread already think he's a bust but people need to give young QBs time. 😀

From different interviews I do get the sense that Rivera prefers mobile QBs. 

On 10/31/2021 at 7:59 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.

I got to watch Willis more.  His ceiling is so high and some of those type players have panned out in the pros as you mentioned.  Next week versus Ole miss is a big one for him. 

I am close to the same mindset.  I am not so sure about Howell > Pickett but to me its at least a conversation/debate unlike what most mock draft guys seem to think.   Corral would be my guy still but his durability remains a concern -- considering his style of play and size.

All three of them have three things in common which I dig:  composure in the pocket, wheels, accuracy.  Corral to me is the most electric of the three.  But all three in some ways are somewhat of the same type of brand.

The things about Pickett that make pause were he wasn't this good in previous seasons, and is an oldish QB relatively speaking coming out of the draft, and those small hands.  

I have no sense for any of them, but I do find one thing interesting, at least as a question:

Why does Pickett finally putting it together as he's an overage prospect trump Howell doing it from day 1 as a freshman? Howell was very good to superb as a freshman and as a sophmore, slipped as a junior. His #'s were remarkably consistent other than completion percentage which jumped freshman to sophmore year. Did it from day one.

Pickett was utterly anonymous until his final overage season. 

Why shouldn't Howell be the better prospect? You lose Javonte Williams, Michael Carter, Dyami Brown, and Dazz Newsome? Probably not surprising that your play falls off. They aren't like Alabama where it's 5 stars all day long, just reloading. 

Not arguing for Howell so much as wondering why Pickett's final breakout season matters more than Howell's consistency when he was younger? Howell's CV just looks better, period, I have no idea in terms of film study and what not, just looking at the CV's. 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I have no sense for any of them, but I do find one thing interesting, at least as a question:

Why does Pickett finally putting it together as he's an overage prospect trump Howell doing it from day 1 as a freshman? Howell was very good to superb as a freshman and as a sophmore, slipped as a junior. His #'s were remarkably consistent other than completion percentage which jumped freshman to sophmore year. Did it from day one.

Pickett was utterly anonymous until his final overage season. 

Why shouldn't Howell be the better prospect? You lose Javonte Williams, Michael Carter, Dyami Brown, and Dazz Newsome? Probably not surprising that your play falls off. They aren't like Alabama where it's 5 stars all day long, just reloading. 

Not arguing for Howell so much as wondering why Pickett's final breakout season matters more than Howell's consistency when he was younger? Howell's CV just looks better, period, I have no idea in terms of film study and what not, just looking at the CV's. 

This is exactly how I feel. People are forgetting that Howell was seen as a top 5 pick coming into this season. The RB transfer from Tennessee has been an okay player and his new WR1 is a great prospect. However, outside of those two, there doesn't seem to be other NFL talent at their skill positions. SIP has me intrigued about Corral but I think Howell probably has the highest floor of the rookie QB prospects given his track record. Daniel Jeremiah compares him to Baker Mayfield - says he has a better arm and is a better athlete but not as good a decisionmaker. I don't know if I'd take him a with a top 5 pick but I wouldn't hate it if they took him between picks 6-10

Also helps that this team already has his #1 WR from college. Maybe he can get him going on his supposed deep route ablity

I'm cool with Howell, Willis or Corral and one of them should be at our pick. 

I'm a little salty because I love getting high end defensive players like Hamilton and Dean who we could use, but top of the second I have to wonder if Spiller could still be there.

Also, top of the second there are a handful of top end safeties I'd love for us to target that fit what we do and need and that seems to be their sweet spot.

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

And Brady, Bridgewater, Rivers, Watson and Wentz are examples of where it didnt. 

If the conversation is originally about QBs with knee injuries in college, my point stands.  I dont care their style, the juice ain't worth the squeeze. Our field and medical staff will make sure of it.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I watched some of the Bears game.  Fields looked good.  I liked him in that draft.  I know some on the QB thread already think he's a bust but people need to give young QBs time. 😀

From different interviews I do get the sense that Rivera prefers mobile QBs. 

I am, to be explicitly clear, speaking from a hair-above-casual knowledge perspective.  Just what a layman's view is.

2 hours ago, method man said:

This is exactly how I feel. People are forgetting that Howell was seen as a top 5 pick coming into this season. The RB transfer from Tennessee has been an okay player and his new WR1 is a great prospect. However, outside of those two, there doesn't seem to be other NFL talent at their skill positions. SIP has me intrigued about Corral but I think Howell probably has the highest floor of the rookie QB prospects given his track record. Daniel Jeremiah compares him to Baker Mayfield - says he has a better arm and is a better athlete but not as good a decisionmaker. I don't know if I'd take him a with a top 5 pick but I wouldn't hate it if they took him between picks 6-10

Also helps that this team already has his #1 WR from college. Maybe he can get him going on his supposed deep route ablity

For what its worth, Howell is a full two years younger than Pickett.

Pickett is having a superb season.   He is 23 years old.   He has taken a real step forward this season and does have a high floor by NFL standards.  I don't mind the Pickett love because he is playing really well, BUT I think its an open question whether based on the full body of work he is definitely a better prospect than somebody like Howell.

Edited by philibusters
  • Thumb up 1

The more I watch the more I think it’s:

1) Howell

2) Corral

3) Pickett

4) Willis (may have highest ceiling but a floor that is a basement)

5) Armstrong (and could climb)

6) Strong

Howell is going to be the consistency. A guy who shows up every day. Isn’t flashy, isn’t exciting. But is doing the right things day in and day out. More of a pocket guy.

Corral is the flash with the arm. Dude can move, seems to read defenses and sling the ball. He is also a guy that is a little small and could be a high risk injury type.

Pickett is… I’m not entirely sure. The two gloves thing probably won’t be a thing in the league. He kinda reminds me of Jared Goff. 

Willis is the wild card. His speed is unreal but he is a one read and fly guy from what I’ve seen so far. Good arm. Not sure he’s remotely NFL ready. 

Armstrong… I just like his game. 

Strong has a killer deep ball but he’s another guy you have to be worried about injury wise.

I have not watched a whole lot from this year. Bits and pieces. I won’t get a great feel until January/February when I’m really watching. 

If I had the #1 pick… right now… I’d take Howell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, KDawg said:

1) Howell

2) Corral

3) Pickett

6) Strong

Howell is going to be the consistency. A guy who shows up every day. Isn’t flashy, isn’t exciting. But is doing the right things day in and day out. More of a pocket guy.

Corral is the flash with the arm. Dude can move, seems to read defenses and sling the ball. He is also a guy that is a little small and could be a high risk injury type.

Pickett is… I’m not entirely sure. The two gloves thing probably won’t be a thing in the league. He kinda reminds me of Jared Goff. 

Willis is the wild card. His speed is unreal but he is a one read and fly guy from what I’ve seen so far. Good arm. Not sure he’s remotely NFL ready. 

Strong has a killer deep ball but he’s another guy you have to be worried about injury wise.

I have not watched a whole lot from this year. Bits and pieces. I won’t get a great feel until January/February when I’m really watching. 

Right now I would probably switch Pickett and Howell on my list. I like the rest of it though. Another guy that could still squeak into that 1st/2nd is Ridder. Still a lot of football left in College season though. 

48 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Right now I would probably switch Pickett and Howell on my list. I like the rest of it though. Another guy that could still squeak into that 1st/2nd is Ridder. Still a lot of football left in College season though. 

I didn’t like Ridder last year. I have watched about 5 plays from him this season live. I am holding off totally on him until I give a fair sample size. I’d slot him in before Armstrong if I were using the tiny sample size and highlights, though.

• Like 1

The reason why I take Avery seriously is he's worked with a lot of QBs and as i mentioned I thought it was ironic that he showed up on a podcast a couple of years ago to plug his client, Dwayne Haskins, and yet in the interview he acceded that Haskins needed to show people he is willing to put in the time to master his craft (he came off like he knew that Haskins work ethic was in question) and in the same "plug" for Haskins he more or less said Fields > Haskins.  My point is he's not just about fluff and mindlessly pumping up his clients. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 7.35.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 7.35.39 PM.png

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

1) Howell

2) Corral

3) Pickett

6) Strong

Entertaing posts on the QBs all around.  I got to watch more to land on a take.  But on my limited watches so far.

1.  Corral -- a baller, gamer, has "it" IMO

2.  Willis -- I can't ignore a sick ceiling.  If I had to bet right now, I think McShay is right and he's the first QB taken

3.  Howell-Pickett I can't really decide, I like but don't love both but need to see more to seperate one over the other

4.  Ridder

5.  Strong

I haven't watched Armstrong yet so I can't grade him

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1. DETROIT LIONS: EDGE KAYVON THIBODEAUX, OREGON

The 2021 quarterback class is such a mixed bag that Detroit looks much better off addressing the position with its second first-rounder than passing up on the other elite talents at the top of the draft. Thibodeaux has 25 pressures in his four healthy performances this year after spraining his ankle early in the season. 

2. HOUSTON TEXANS: EDGE AIDAN HUTCHINSON, MICHIGAN

Hutchinson is not only an elite prospect from a traits perspective, as he checked in at No. 2 on Bruce Feldman’s preseason Freaks List, but he’s also been elite from a production standpoint. Hutchinson is the highest-graded edge defender in college football this season (93.7). He's racked up 30 pressures across his past five games and is the kind of cornerstone player Houston can build a defense around.

3. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (VIA MIA): CB DEREK STINGLEY JR., LSU

The cornerback spot across from Darius Slay has been an issue for the Eagles this season. With three first-rounders likely at its disposal, Philadelphia should just attack premium positions at the top. Stingley may have played only 154 snaps this year before suffering a foot injury with an indefinite return timetable, but he was the highest-graded cornerback in the country as a true freshman in 2019.

4. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: S KYLE HAMILTON, NOTRE DAME

Hamilton is simply too much of a rarity to pass up, even if the Jaguars have some options at safety already. He can play the slot, at linebacker or really wherever a team needs him to. He picked off three passes and made three pass breakups this season before suffering a knee injury with an uncertain return timetable.

5. WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM: QB MATT CORRAL, OLE MISS

The first quarterback comes off the board, and it’s the one who’s faced the toughest slate of defenses in 2021. Corral is an athlete first with all the tools to be a franchise guy at the position. It’s a tad worrisome he’s been banged up already at only 6-foot-1 and 205 pounds, but he’s also earned an 88.9 overall grade in the SEC.

6. NEW YORK JETS: OT EVAN NEAL, ALABAMA

As I’ve said before, I’m going to keep mocking this one until told otherwise. First, the 6-foot-7, 350-pound Alabama tackle would give the Jets the most physically imposing tackle duo in the NFL. Second, it is quite obviously a need with Morgan Moses on a one-year deal. And third, Neal has already played on the right side as a sophomore at Alabama.

7. NEW YORK GIANTS: C TYLER LINDERBAUM, IOWA

Linderbaum is an upgrade over Billy Price, at the very least. He was the highest-graded center in college football last year and has taken it to another level in 2021. He’ll enter the 2021 NFL Draft as the best center prospect PFF has seen since the beginning of college football grading in 2014.

8. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: EDGE GEORGE KARLAFTIS, PURDUE

The Eagles love investing in their defensive line, and Karlaftis can seamlessly fill Brandon Graham’s shoes. He already has 41 pressures on the 2021 college football season while posting above-average grades in every single game. He boasts inside-outside versatility, as well.

9. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (VIA IND): QB MALIK WILLIS, LIBERTY

The Eagles aren't short on draft capital, so they might as well buy one lottery ticket at the quarterback position. And in that analogy, Willis would be the Powerball of the draft class. He possesses the kind of tools evaluators dream about with his size, arm strength and running ability. Willis is having an outstanding 2021 season, recording a 93.6 overall grade to lead all Group of Five quarterbacks and rank second overall in the country.

10. NEW YORK JETS (VIA SEA): EDGE DEMARVIN LEAL, TEXAS A&M

Head coach Robert Saleh will almost certainly look to bulk up his defensive line to 2019 49ers levels. That means adding more juice, even with Carl Lawson returning. Leal can fill the Arik Armstead role of an edge with inside versatility like he’s done at Texas A&M.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

1) Howell

2) Corral

3) Pickett

6) Strong

Reasonably assessment.  There is no Trevor Lawrence in this draft so opinions on the top 5 will vary.  My top 3 is the same as yours.   The top three are somewhat interchangeable to me depending on what a team whats their QB to do.   

Just now, SemperFi Skins said:

You'll see my rankings quite a few pages back and It remains today. What I feel is better for our team specifically would be Howell, Pickett, Corral. I'm not touching Willis or Ridder. I like Carson Strong quite a bit as well for our offense.

Willis and Ridder, as of this moment, are not on my "good picks for WFT" radar, either.

Howell, Pickett, Corral and Armstrong (I have to watch more of him to get a REAL feel) are the four guys that I think could find some success

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Willis and Ridder, as of this moment, are not on my "good picks for WFT" radar, either.

Howell, Pickett, Corral and Armstrong (I have to watch more of him to get a REAL feel) are the four guys that I think could find some success

Check out Strong as well, assuming his knee holds up.