Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

On 9/14/2021 at 10:33 AM, Playaction2Sanders said:

The Ravens did it in 2000, TB did it in 2002, Raiders did it in '83, there are plenty of examples of teams winning it all after bringing in a vet. Meanwhile, yes have a set it and forget it QB is nice, but it doesn't equate to rings everytime either. Look are Warren Moon, Rivers, Marino, Esaison, Tarkington, Fouts, Kelly. Then you have guys like Favre and Rodgers despite their crazy numbers you only have 2 rings between the two of them. We of all fans should know about bringing vet QB's to lead our established teams to the promise land. Gibbs set the standard for that..

The problem is:

#1 people don't let these QB's go anymore on the free. We did, the chargers did, and that's it for nearly 15 years (I know Brady left, but he was a thousand years old, still great, but not a future option). 

#2 Nearly every team that contends for titles (makes final four's) has one.

Trying to do this the Ravens way is next to impossible, and especially impossible if you are trying to build a long time contender. They are the only example that's managed to build anything long lasting without a long term answer.

The Gibbs Method from the eighties was literally a peerless approach. No other team in history has ever managed to build a dynasty the same way at that scale (Ravens come closest, but don't quite seal the deal, plus it was done with multiple coaches). 

32 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

The problem is:

#1 people don't let these QB's go anymore on the free. We did, the chargers did, and that's it for nearly 15 years (I know Brady left, but he was a thousand years old, still great, but not a future option). 

#2 Nearly every team that contends for titles (makes final four's) has one.

Trying to do this the Ravens way is next to impossible, and especially impossible if you are trying to build a long time contender. They are the only example that's managed to build anything long lasting without a long term answer.

The Gibbs Method from the eighties was literally a peerless approach. No other team in history has ever managed to build a dynasty the same way at that scale (Ravens come closest, but don't quite seal the deal, plus it was done with multiple coaches). 

Tannahill in Tennessee, Panthers look like the best team in football with Darnold. Carr is playing great. Reclamation projects happen and the odds of hitting on a great one you didn't draft seems almost as possible as drafting one. I guess you just have to keep swinging in the draft and FA.

On 9/21/2021 at 10:20 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

A player some of us liked, especially @stevemcqueen1

Judging by buzz, he's likely going top 10.  Looking forward to the match up versus Corral. 

Most dynasty shares for me:

Rondale Moore-7+ (more in non-dynasty)

Rashod Bateman-5+ (the same)

Jamar Chase-5

Nico Collins-4

D. Brown-4

Least Shares:

Karadius Toney-LOL

Terrace Moore-<tears, I want more shares>

Huge Moore, Bateman, and Chase fan. Speculated on Collins due to pedigree, and got some Dyami due to the discount. Zero interest in Toney unless he was available in the third or later. Another great WR draft. 

On 9/25/2021 at 9:05 PM, JoggingGod said:

He’s on a terrible team. He’s gonna go somewhere decent now and become a good QB.

Not entirely a bad thing, if you land in the right organization, going later is always better. Poor Fields landed in Chicago with those --- clowns. Poor Darnold and Tannehill before him were demolished by that idiot in Miami and later NYJ. Much better to go later to a great offensive mind, than earlier to a bunch of dribbling morons.

It was why picking between Fields and Lances in Dynasty this past year of rookie drafts was a nightmare. Take the guy with the superior talent who fell to a dumber than ---- organization (Fields), or take the guy who was snagged by a smart, QB manufacturing coach in Lance?

I think with these veteran reclamation projects, sample size though is key, feels like more of them have petered out then ended up like Tannehill.  And Tannehill really wasn't bad with Miami, he was in the Cousins kind of range, he's just gotten better with the Titans.   

I recall how many thought Keenum's ability was discovered by Minny and he was good for a season but his career fell back to earth.   Nick Foles was "saved" by going back to the Eagles after bombing with the Rams but he fell back to earth.   I recall the excitment about Brissett with the Colts, looked like NE let go of a gem.   Now that narative seems silly.   Heck some thought SF struck gold with Jimmy G, he was unstoppable initially -- I recall the stories about how NE blew it.  i wouldn't say Jimmy G is a failure but he's nowhere near the hype he initially got for his initial hot streak. 

Heck even Fitz had a bit of an early run like that with Buffalo, they gave him a big contract at the time then he fell back to the earth.  I can go on and on with these type of examples.  So for me I am not into reclamation projects everything being equal. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Man I need to watch Matt Corral.

He's a fun watch.  I commented on him some last year while watching some of the Ole Miss prospects like Elijah Moore.  My beef with him then was decision making but his gun slinger style was fun to watch, when it didn't blow up in his face.

He actually reminds me some of Heinicke stylistically but with more upside.  He has better size, with a better arm and maybe slightly more speed.   He doesn't have a rocket but IMO his arm strength is good.  He's not big but he has enough size IMO for today's NFL.   He makes off platform throws.  He has a quick release.  Throws with anticipation.  My concern is decision making -- pocket presence (sacks, picks).  Also can he survive playing that aggressively in the NFL?   He's improved it looks like on those fronts this season but he hasn't been up against a team like Alabama.  I am really curious about how he fares versus them.

I have a hard time for some reason to get excited about Sam Howell but I don't dislike him either, I got to watch him more.   Corral's upside excites me but i won't be a full believer unless he shows up tomorrow.  if he has a meltdown game like he had against some better defenses last year, it would curb my enthusiasm about him. 

Based on early season returns, the following teams are in line to look for a QB:

1). Miami (maybe)

2). Steelers (for sure)

3). Houston (unless Deshaun has a change of heart)

4). Denver (looking less likely, but is Teddy really a franchise QB)

5). Giants (maybe they stick with Jones)

6). Philly (looking more likely)

7). Detroit (could give up on Goff as he only has 1 year left)

8.  GB (depends on Rodgers)

9). NO (maybe)

10). ATL 

11). Wash

There will be huge competition for the QBs.  Wherever Rodgers and Watson go knocks 2 teams out.  Maybe the Giants stick with Jones given their conservative nature and their affinity towards him.  

Frankly, we'll have a ton of competition for QBs.

I think Corral looks smaller than Heinicke.  I looked it up and he is lighter and only 1 inch taller.  I want a big QB like Allen and Herbert as I was beyond impressed with both of them.  I do think Corral is a first round QB because he is an absolute freak athlete with a strong arm.  My concern with him is size.  So far I like Carson Strong and Desmond Ridder better than Corral but that can change.  I don't think Rattler and Howell with be franchise qbs.  Willis needs to sit for a couple years and that won't work for us.  

I see taulia tagovailoa of Maryland is playing tonight.  I didn't even know he existed until today.  I dont follow college football, but I do try to learn about various QBs.  I'm bored, so I will follow the game tonight.  Is he considered to be a potential pro?  Or just a college QB?

On 9/27/2021 at 7:46 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Intrigued by Rattler, got to watch more.  It's hard for me to miss though that he's the dude I stumble on character concerns mentioned here and there when I read about the QB prospects.  True or not, I don't know.  But i've learned over time to trust that kind of criticism because its borne out for some players I followed before the draft especially at QB.  I recall some here for example questioning K. Toney based on rumblings about him.  I was aware of the rumblings but heck who knows how valid they are?  But over time, a lot of that stuff seem to come to fruition.  Toney right now seems to be seen as a hewadaxche in NY for example.   I recall the questions about Rosen among other QBs, also borne out.  

Conversely, the dudes who are billed as special as far as their intangibles go -- leadership, work ethic, etc -- tend to do well in the NFL all being equal. 

https://profootballmania.com/2021/09/10/what-weaknesses-does-spencer-rattler-have/

Something else that has come into question about the Sooners’ star is his character and leadership qualities. Many of those criticisms come from his time on a Netflix show called “QB1” which chronicles the senior seasons of three top quarterbacks each year. Rattler appeared on the show before enrolling at Oklahoma and many believe that the way he carried himself was off-putting and not the way you would expect a quarterback to act. 

https://www.azcentral.com/sports/

Jack Borowsky writes: "The slide stops here for Rattler. He is a very talented quarterback but there are some character concerns there.

When it comes to QB, other than having the technical skill set necessary to do the job, it seems like 90% of success or failure is tied to 3 other things:

1.) Ability to process information quickly, especially spatial awareness type stuff that I suck at lol. 

2. Mental Make Up: is he first in last out, or is he like Haskins and other idiots like him?

3. Landing spot organizationally in terms of OC/HC/Stability or not. 

2 hours ago, Nerm said:

I see taulia tagovailoa of Maryland is playing tonight.  I didn't even know he existed until today.  I dont follow college football, but I do try to learn about various QBs.  I'm bored, so I will follow the game tonight.  Is he considered to be a potential pro?  Or just a college QB?

Potential pro though he has been terrible tonight

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Tannahill in Tennessee, Panthers look like the best team in football with Darnold. Carr is playing great. Reclamation projects happen and the odds of hitting on a great one you didn't draft seems almost as possible as drafting one. I guess you just have to keep swinging in the draft and FA.

Tannehill's not a franchise QB. I did support trading for Darnold btw, if we could get him cheap, Darnold was from the same school as Tannehill in that sense, top 10 draft pick that was swallowed by the Gase Incompetence spiral of hell. Both have looked competent since the second they left his organizations. The problem with trading for Darnold was that he went for FAR more than I expected him to go for with only 1 year left on his deal before his rookie option. A 2, a 4 and a 6 for a guy with only 1 year left before the option? That was a lot. 

Jameis Winston is on the list of successful looking reclaim projects.  One thing he, Tannehill, and Darn old all have in common is that Payton, Joe Brady, and Arthur Smith are bonafide gurus.  And even though Bruce Arians has the reputation of being a guru, kind of hard not to notice his lack of success with the position when he didn't have a fully built hall of famer at the top of his depth chart.  At any rate, the New Orleans staff is the best in the business with their QBs.

We need to hire a vastly better OC and QB coach and probably some kind of stud passing game coordinator before I would have confidence in our ability to reclaim a top talent who busted with his draft team.

But if we do that, the reclamation QBs I would look at this off-season are Tua and Trubisky.  Don't know if Tua will hit the trade block, but I would think he wouldn't be that expensive given his injury history.

Trubisky is interesting.  He's still a big, athletic gamer who has actually been to a pro bowl and led a winning team before.  His game fell apart but I suspect a big part of that is Matt Nagy is a lousy coach.  So he goes to a good team with a high level staff to back up an established starter, much like Winston did.  In the process, he experiences legit good coaching for at least a year in a no pressure environment, and basically learns how to operate like an NFL starter.  And the Buffalo staff and FO are also really tight with Rivera.  Kind of feels like they are fixing him up for us.  It's a situation that makes sense but for issue that I have such low confidence in Scott Turner.  He's not a Joe Brady or Arthur Smith.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Daniel.redskins said:

I think Corral looks smaller than Heinicke.  I looked it up and he is lighter and only 1 inch taller.  I want a big QB like Allen and Herbert as I was beyond impressed with both of them.  I do think Corral is a first round QB because he is an absolute freak athlete with a strong arm.  My concern with him is size.  So far I like Carson Strong and Desmond Ridder better than Corral but that can change.  I don't think Rattler and Howell with be franchise qbs.  Willis needs to sit for a couple years and that won't work for us.  

Corral to me looks bigger.   Heinicke multiple times in interview said he's not 6 "1 but likes the fact that it was listed that way.  I'd guess Corral is really 6" 1.  I'd bet Heincike is 5 "11. 

Neither one is a big guy that I agree with.  Heinicke's drawback IMO is his arm strength.  Corral doesn't have a rocket of an arm but he has IMO good arm strength.  Both are good athletes but I think Corral is the better athlete.  

On another note, man is Corral getting some hype today on College Game Day, feels like he's being jinxed. :ols:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/taylor-heinicke-admits-people-gym-dont-believe-hes-nfl-qb

"When my trainer introduces me to new people as an NFL quarterback, [they say], ‘No, he’s not. This guy is like 5’10” looking 170,’” Heinicke said. “Actually have to go prove myself to everybody out there."

Heinicke's quotes came via an interview with The Sports Junkies, and throughout the conversation, it became clear that he's a young man that constantly has to prove his doubters wrong. 

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Jameis Winston is on the list of successful looking reclaim projects.  One thing he, Tannehill, and Darn old all have in common is that Payton, Joe Brady, and Arthur Smith are bonafide gurus.  And even though Bruce Arians has the reputation of being a guru, kind of hard not to notice his lack of success with the position when he didn't have a fully built hall of famer at the top of his depth chart.  At any rate, the New Orleans staff is the best in the business with their QBs.

I guess with the modifier of "looking" to be then maybe so.  If you go back and think about other reclamation projects, it's not that uncommon to think that they've turned a corner and then they came back to earth.  Winston had 2 good games, 1 bad game, he's thrown for an odd low number of yards.  He's averaging about 130 yards a game, that's weird.  Maybe he's turned the corner but maybe he hasn't.   

Darnold had two easy opponents, one hard one.  PFF among others talked earlier this season about Carolina could take off because of their cream puff schedule.  Darnold has looked good.  But I am still not a believer.  I'd need a bigger sample size. 

I can come up with a zillion examples of QBs on the mend and the party came crashing.   Twitter abuzz last year that the Raiders saved Mariotta based on that one game, the slew of examples I gave in another post, and there is plenty more.  

I watched a lot of Tannehill being in Florida.  He was no reclamation project IMO.  He was a decent QB, not a bottom rung one like Darnold was with the Jets, but couldn't quite break out.  He had multiple good years in Miami.  He just got better with the Titans. 

14 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Talk to me about Carson Strong.  His highlights show that he can really push the ball downfield and finesse touch when he needs to.  Lesser competition, yes, but he looks like he can make professional throws.

I watched one game.  Tall-lanky-pocket passer.  Really good arm.  Compact delivery.  Quick enough release.  Good accuracy short and long.  The problem with him is he's a bit old school, not much mobility, mot much pocket movement/off platform throws but he did do it on occasion so maybe he has some of that potentially.  Plus tough to gauge him considering the competition.

I like Corral more but with the disclaimer of I want to see him perform today.  Otherwise, I am wondering about him as to handiling tough defenses. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I guess with the modifier of "looking" to be then maybe so.  If you go back and think about other reclamation projects, it's not that uncommon to think that they've turned a corner and then they came back to earth.  Winston had 2 good games, 1 bad game, he's thrown for an odd low number of yards.  He's averaging about 130 yards a game, that's weird.  Maybe he's turned the corner but maybe he hasn't.   

Darnold had two easy opponents, one hard one.  PFF among others talked earlier this season about Carolina could take off because of their cream puff schedule.  Darnold has looked good.  But I am still not a believer.  I'd need a bigger sample size. 

I can come up with a zillion examples of QBs on the mend and the party came crashing.   Twitter abuzz last year that the Raiders saved Mariotta based on that one game, the slew of examples I gave in another post, and there is plenty more.  

I watched a lot of Tannehill being in Florida.  He was no reclamation project IMO.  He was a decent QB, not a bottom rung one like Darnold was with the Jets, but couldn't quite break out.  He had multiple good years in Miami.  He just got better with the Titans. 

I think the point is that it's really difficult to pick the right QB in the draft, bring him into the right situation, and have him excel for 15 years. It's more common for any QB to come into their own around their second contract, regardless of being on the team who drafted them. The reclamation QB gives you a chance to flatten the curve and maybe find a better fit. Would Cousins look as good now as he does, if he still played for WFT? I don't know. I think there's a good argument to the reclamation QB argument, although I'm sure everyone wants to draft the next Mahommes or Peyton or Rodgers that can carry a team. Hell, we all want Heinicke to be the next Warner or Brady.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think the point is that it's really difficult to pick the right QB in the draft, bring him into the right situation, and have him excel for 15 years. It's more common for any QB to come into their own around their second contract, regardless of being on the team who drafted them. The reclamation QB gives you a chance to flatten the curve and maybe find a better fit. Would Cousins look as good now as he does, if he still played for WFT? I don't know. I think there's a good argument to the reclamation QB argument, although I'm sure everyone wants to draft the next Mahommes or Peyton or Rodgers that can carry a team. Hell, we all want Heinicke to be the next Warner or Brady.

For me I'd rather roll the dice on a rookie or pay through the nose for a stud QB if an opportunity arises.

You typically have 5-7 reclamation projects every year because those teams without franchise QBs or a young up and comer have no choice but to try something like that or hope their own veteran finds their stride.   It's not uncommon for some of them to play a streak of good games and that accompanies a narrative that's exciting in the moment but most of the time it doesn't last.  I recall the times when Tyrod Taylor, Brain Hoyer, Case Keenum, Jacoby Brissett, Nick Foles and even Fitz were hailed as successful reclamation projects.   Young QBs like Sanchez and Colt McCoy and Josh Freeman were the answers among others. Heck there was a phase when there was a narrative about whether NE let go of the wrong QB when Jimmy G was on fire his first season.   Short sample sizes and heck including at times a full season can end up misleading with these players falling back to earth.  

Tannehill is often used an example used but IMO its a lousy example since he wasn't a bad player with Miami but just didn't hit his potential there. His QB rating wit the Titans is in the low 100s with Miami he had a number of years in the 90s.  He didn't stink in Miami.  He just got better with the Titans.

For me to buy into a reclamation project, I'd have to buy that there is something special about the player both talent wise and intangibles that would convince me that it could be different in the next place.  Tannehill as an example doesn't move me as an example because I see it as a false exampe but even if I did, to me it would be just an example of a case not another cog in the wheel of a big trend. 

As for the makeup of a QB.  I am of the Rocky mode as far as believing in the importance of drive.  That is, i do believe it matters what kind of dude the player is and it weighs heavily.  I don't believe they are all born with the same passion and drive.  I get the whole he needs to be nurtured, etc witht eh right coaches and mix, etc.  But that to me is the gravy not the driving force. I think the point is a bit overplayed here because of all the failures we've had.  If Jason Campbell could only have the same offense every year or Ramsey had a better O line, or if Shanny had a better relationship with RG3, etc.  None of those guys succeeded elsewhere.  You bring up Kirk but Kirk had some good seasons here.  The only Qb that has failed here IMO (with blame to go around including to RG3) with franchise kind of ability IMO was RG3.  With Haskins the red flags existed before he came here.  

I don't think for example that Justin Herbert is a great Qb because he was blessed to play for a wonderful organization like the Chargers.  Herbert was just blessed to play for Anthony Lynn (who was susequently fired) who coached him up so well and the Chargers have so much talent than how couldn't he fail?    To me that's not the story.

Jim Nagy who was a scout including if I recall working for Saban and is around college players a lot because of the Senior Bowl said he knew Herbert was special because of what kind of dude he was and how he worked.  He said the same about Mac Jones.  These guys aren't robots.  Talent is key.  But IMO its just as critical to find a QB who is determined to be great and that quality seems to be elusive.  I am not saying you are on the other side of these points but just explaining my thinking on it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Talk to me about Carson Strong.  His highlights show that he can really push the ball downfield and finesse touch when he needs to.  Lesser competition, yes, but he looks like he can make professional throws.

I need to start watching. I live about a 15 minute drive from the stadium. I went to their Idaho State game without even realizing who he was and why he mattered lol. I can credit myself, however, with telling the family friends, "Oh don't worry that Idaho State just scored, UNR is going to play them off the field (because Idaho State is just garbage). Strong looked great, and effortless in ripping them to pieces. 9 incompletions like 30some odd completions, he does have a large arc on his deep ball at times, but I'm no tape scout, and at this point, I have no idea what I'm seeing with QB prospects anymore other than generally hating the right prospects. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The thing with Darnold in the past is that he sucked against EVERYBODY. The difference is that he has quality coaching, plenty of weapons, and I'm not sure if his OL is good or not, but the Jets OL got worse over time the longer he was there (the opposite of how young QB's should be treated). So even if he's only playing well against crap, that's still an improvement. He may just be going from bust, to competent, we'll see, but competent isn't bad from where he was at. 

18 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I need to start watching. I live about a 15 minute drive from the stadium. I went to their Idaho State game without even realizing who he was and why he mattered lol. I can credit myself, however, with telling the family friends, "Oh don't worry that Idaho State just scored, UNR is going to play them off the field (because Idaho State is just garbage). Strong looked great, and effortless in ripping them to pieces. 9 incompletions like 30some odd completions, he does have a large arc on his deep ball at times, but I'm no tape scout, and at this point, I have no idea what I'm seeing with QB prospects anymore other than generally hating the right prospects. 

lol, i am not a scout too obviously.   Judging QBs are hard, I agree.   From my layman's experience though there is one thing you can see live that is hard to see on TV.  That is, arm strength.  When I am at training camp or a game you can see the zip on the ball much better than you can on TV.    With Strong, I am especially interested in his arm strength and ability to fit throws in tight windows.  It looks good on TV but is it special?  That's tough for me to see but if I was at a game I'd feel more confident in my opinion on it.

The thing with Darnold in the past is that he sucked against EVERYBODY. 

Against most but not everybody.  Heck he looked like Tom Brady against us.  Darnold had some good games here and there.

So even if he's only playing well against crap, that's still an improvement. He may just be going from bust, to competent, we'll see, but competent isn't bad from where he was at. 

My point though is players who aren't that hot don't always show that in a straight line.  There are some peaks with the valleys typically.   And the level of competiton can be a big part of that.  Heinicke against NY was different than against Buffalo.  If Heinicke played the Jets and Texans like Darnold just did he might put up monster numbers.  But i'll say beating the Saints is impressive.  I'll certainly run with the narrative that Darnold is playing better.  But I am just wary of short samples of reclamation projects.  That party has crashed a whole bunch of times and the narrative that said player was saved was a running commentary at the time until it ultimately fell flat.  So I am no longer reflexively buying into those narratives anymore. 

I do agree that going from bust to competent is an improvement.  But I think its too soon to land an opinion on it. 

53 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've watched some of North Carolina today, Howell has looked good.

I got to get to watching Pickett who is having a good season and has some fans among the draft geeks

Howell is the guy to watch. He has understandably not looked great this year - I believe he lost both his starting receivers and his top two backs. His numbers have been good since the VT opener and he is going a bit under the radar