Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT signs QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one-year deal worth $10 million!... Oh, Oh, Oh Fitzmagic... ya knooowwwww!

zCommander

Interesting chart. I hope throwaways are factored in somehow. Brady seems to do it a lot IMO. Under rated smart play.

I hope its Fitz's job to lose as I want him in week 1. No matter how much 4th quarter Babe grade magic we see from Heiny in August.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Interesting chart. I hope throwaways are factored in somehow. Brady seems to do it a lot IMO. Under rated smart play.

I hope its Fitz's job to lose as I want him in week 1. No matter how much 4th quarter Babe grade magic we see from Heiny in August.

You want Fitz in week 1 no matter how well either Allen or Heinicke play against similar competition?...Because you know beyond doubt Rivera isn't gonna base who he starts at QB on 4th quarter stats in preseason games. I just want whoever is playing the best and shows they deserve to start.

Regarding throwaway passes...this is for 2019, but Fitz had the lowest percentage of throwaways, and it's not even close (and as you guessed, Brady had the highest percentage of throwaways lol):

throw away percentage 2019.png

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, London Kev said:

Wow, if anyone needed proof of just how much of an upgrade Fitzpatrick is, check out Haskins, Smith and Fitz's positions on that chart.

Question for the mods: Can we start a "Quarterback Competition" thread for specific conversations and inputs on all the QBs and the merits/impacts of a declared open competition? It looks to me like that is likely the biggest issue going into training camp. Ron clearly believes it will be good for the team, but I am sure there are some, maybe even many, who feel like it could be a distraction for the team. It would give us one thread to post on this subject instead of the (at least) three options we have now (OTAs, Heinicke Hive, Fitzpatrick).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, London Kev said:

Wow, if anyone needed proof of just how much of an upgrade Fitzpatrick is, check out Haskins, Smith and Fitz's positions on that chart.

We were 30th in QB play last year. The only teams worse were the two teams picking at the top of this year's draft.

• Like 4

As much of a healthy skepticism as I still have for QBR, it's pretty wild that Fitz put up a top 26 season last year since this metric has been tracked (2006).  And those names on the list shown below are all legit (except for Garrard and Wentz, though Wentz did play at an MVP level in that 2017 season before getting hurt). 

This lends more to the narrative that Fitz has been getting better with age.  Hopefully he can repeat it, or even top it, this year.

image.png.4328d4a93e7e354878ea53c2d8e696cf.png

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2021 at 11:46 PM, Califan007 said:

You want Fitz in week 1 no matter how well either Allen or Heinicke play against similar competition?

They will not be judged by similar competition before week 1.  Camp comp doesn't count because with no fear of getting hit QBs look like superman in the pocket. We need live fire vs 1s. Which I think the record will show Fitz has held up best versus. Fitz is not going to do his badass trucking of DBs before week 1.

Allen and Heiny are meh IMO Fitz is the guy I want to see. I am surprised you are surprised lol as we all clearly have our camp favs that we want to see.

Sure if Fitz cannot grasp the offense i am fine with him inactive.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

They will not be judged by similar competition before week 1.  Camp comp doesn't count because with no fear of getting hit QBs look like superman in the pocket. We need live fire vs 1s. Which I think the record will show Fitz has held up best versus. Fitz is not going to do his badass trucking of DBs before week 1.

They will (or could) be depending on how Rivera plays them in preseason. And highly doubt Rivera will put much weight into how well the QB trucks anyone lol...

Whether or not we fans believe Allen or Heinicke are or will be good enough to make it worthwhile to start over Fitzgerald is irrelevant. If I were to say "I want (fill in the blank) to be named starter" I'd be hoping for the younger guys because 1) it means they actually did outshine Fitzpatrick in Rivera's eyes, and 2) it could mean we found a long-term solution at QB without having to give up massive draft capital. That would be the outcome I would want above all else.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 5

Taylor Heinicke has more playoff experience than Ryan Fitzpatrick.  When starting more than 8 games in a season, Fitzpatrick has managed a winning record exactly one time.  His best year was with a familiar offensive coordinator Chan Gailey with the Jets in 2015, and that was the sole year where he had a winning record as a starter.  Now wins and losses are not a very good way of judging an individual player's performance (see Alex Smith and how awful he was despite having a 11-5 record as the starter over 2 seasons), but it's a red flag, IMO, if a guy has been around for 17 seasons to only have one winning record.  

As for the argument that he's "playing his best football now that he's older"...here's how his numbers looked on a 16 game average from his rookie year up to the 2014 season before his best year with the Jets:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm#2005-2014-sum:passing

60% Completion 

3179 Yards

20 Touchdowns

17 Interceptions

5.9 AY/A

79.5 Passer Rating

Here are his 16 game averages from 2015 to present:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm#2015-2020-sum:passing

61.5% Completion

3695 Yards

24 Touchdowns

16 Interceptions

6.8 AY/A

86.2 Passer Rating

You can't argue that he isn't playing better now than he was when he first started...but these numbers are nothing to get excited about, IMO.  That completion percentage would have tied him with Dwayne Haskins last year for 32nd in the league.  His yardage would have been 18th best in the league last year.  Touchdowns 17th.  He would have led the league in interceptions.  His passer rating would have been 27th.  I just don't get the excitement over him.

On 6/14/2021 at 5:46 AM, DJHJR86 said:

Taylor Heinicke has more playoff experience than Ryan Fitzpatrick.  When starting more than 8 games in a season, Fitzpatrick has managed a winning record exactly one time.  His best year was with a familiar offensive coordinator Chan Gailey with the Jets in 2015, and that was the sole year where he had a winning record as a starter.  Now wins and losses are not a very good way of judging an individual player's performance (see Alex Smith and how awful he was despite having a 11-5 record as the starter over 2 seasons), but it's a red flag, IMO, if a guy has been around for 17 seasons to only have one winning record.  

As for the argument that he's "playing his best football now that he's older"...here's how his numbers looked on a 16 game average from his rookie year up to the 2014 season before his best year with the Jets:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm#2005-2014-sum:passing

60% Completion 

3179 Yards

20 Touchdowns

17 Interceptions

5.9 AY/A

79.5 Passer Rating

Here are his 16 game averages from 2015 to present:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm#2015-2020-sum:passing

61.5% Completion

3695 Yards

24 Touchdowns

16 Interceptions

6.8 AY/A

86.2 Passer Rating

You can't argue that he isn't playing better now than he was when he first started...but these numbers are nothing to get excited about, IMO.  That completion percentage would have tied him with Dwayne Haskins last year for 32nd in the league.  His yardage would have been 18th best in the league last year.  Touchdowns 17th.  He would have led the league in interceptions.  His passer rating would have been 27th.  I just don't get the excitement over him.

Ya man, most are saying Fitzpatrick’s last two seasons have been better, not the last 6 lol. Top 15 type QB. 

What about Smith having 9 consecutive years of being a winning QB ;) Seems to represent the other side of your argument in regards to Fitz only having one winning season. Not to derail as I know where you stand, but it’s June :) maybe this is the month for some to come to their other side and appreciate what Alex accomplished in his career lol

50 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Ya man, most are saying Fitzpatrick’s last two seasons have been better, not the last 6 lol. Top 15 type QB.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm#2019-2020-sum:passing

64.2% Completion

3747 Yards

22 Touchdowns

14 Interceptions

6.9 AY/A

89 Passer Rating

That's the 16 game average from the 2 years in Miami.  These numbers are nowhere near top 15 level.  

55 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm#2019-2020-sum:passing

64.2% Completion

3747 Yards

22 Touchdowns

14 Interceptions

6.9 AY/A

89 Passer Rating

That's the 16 game average from the 2 years in Miami.  These numbers are nowhere near top 15 level.  

Debatable, but I hear you, he’s not a slam dunk to perform well (or top 15) next season. It requires a bit of speculation, but he’s improved in some areas recently showing he can be stable.

I’m not 100% confident he can manage an entire season and worry he may throw away some good defensive games with some bad TOs. He’s not had on paper the supporting cast both on offense and defense in his entire career, maybe that will help elevate his game?

Often times guys are unable to overcome bad situations and fade out of the league or become career backups, Fitz has been able to shine enough in bad circumstances consistently enough to be a starter for much of his career. I value that and makes me curious to see what he can do in a potentially great situation. 

• Like 1

Here's a look at just about everything Fitzpatrick's teammates have said about him since he arrived in Washington. 

Daron Payne (3/24/21)"I know we played him in Tampa once," the defensive lineman said. "He was just ballin'. Ever since then, I've loved watching him play, so I'm excited to see him with the team... Now he can help me instead of hurt me."

Adam Humphries (3/29/21): “It’s exciting. Fitzy just makes coming to work everyday fun. You can tell he’s got a lot of passion when he plays. He’s got a love for the game that not many people have. He just makes playing football fun. He brings a good attitude toward every situation.

"I think there’s just a calming sense to his demeanor in the huddle, on the sideline, pregame. A lot of guys just build up so many emotions pregame or on the bus ride to the stadium, and it gets a little tense at times. Just being around Fitzpatrick and just the way he carries himself, it’s calming and relaxing. It allows you to play freely. I’ve enjoyed that part of Ryan.”

Ron Rivera (4/1/21): "[Fitzpatrick's] a savvy veteran who has had a lot of success and who has worked with a lot of other quarterbacks, a lot of young quarterbacks, who’s been in a lot of different systems. Also, just the fact that when you look at his numbers analytically, he’s actually improved in his play in the last couple years, too. There are a lot of positive things about having this type of guy around. I’m pretty excited, I really am."

Scott Turner (5/5/21): “We’re really excited about Ryan. That was a guy in free agency that we wanted to get and we were able to get him. You look at the last two years, he’s really played the best football of his career... Obviously he’s 38 years old, couple months younger than me, but he is playing well, he’s playing at a high level and there’s no reason to believe that he’s not going to continue that."

Dyami Brown (5/28/21): “Oh man, that’s a guy right there. That’s a guy. I like him a lot. You know, he’s out there, he’s composed. He likes to throw deep. I’ve just seen him throw deep a few times, he has a great arm."

Terry McLaurin (6/4/21): "Fitz is great. The first thing that struck me about him is just that he has a [really] cool, calm demeanor about him. When he's in the huddle, it's just really collected... He puts an emphasis on really being in communication with the receivers. That's not just me. I've seen him communicate with just about every receiver on the roster right now, just about what they're thinking with this route, what they're thinking about with this leverage. I think that is very important to do at this part in the season because you want to try to start making that connection early."

"He's also a student of the game. He's super smart. It helps me out because I get to try and see the game through his eyes."

Ken Zampese (6/8/21): “I think he has such an extreme desire to excel and to be in the top group of quarterbacks and compete at that level. I think he’s ultra-competitive and I think that’s what we’re seeing when we watch his career get better as it goes on. From banging and bouncing around and making the most of his opportunities, and always learning.

"He’s such a unique look and a unique character and his delivery is dry as can be and he just drops these one-liners and bombs on guys and they don’t even know what happened. He’s got a great deal of swag for such a, I don’t know what you say about the exterior, I love him. He’s authentic through all of it which is the important part. He’s got a lot to give, he’s got a lot of experiences.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Debatable, but I hear you, he’s not a slam dunk to perform well (or top 15) next season. It requires a bit of speculation, but he’s improved in some areas recently showing he can be stable.

I’m not 100% confident he can manage an entire season and worry he may throw away some good defensive games with some bad TOs. He’s not had on paper the supporting cast both on offense and defense in his entire career, maybe that will help elevate his game?

Often times guys are unable to overcome bad situations and fade out of the league or become career backups, Fitz has been able to shine enough in bad circumstances consistently enough to be a starter for much of his career. I value that and makes me curious to see what he can do in a potentially great situation. 

Agree.  Fitz has oddly been a part of one bad team after another.  The plot line with Fitz isn't to look at his full career but his late career. 

The rest of this post isn't directed to you.  I've never touted Fitz as a solution over the years, I've not been a fan of his play.  But I've seen at least 50% of his starts in Miami.  I watched him play live twice.  And he impressed me.  I totally buy the narrative of the "new" Fitz.  I 100% shrug off anyone who says the new Fitz narrative is BS unless they tell me they've watched a good chunk of his career in Miami.   Because otherwise, their point runs at odds with the Dolphin beat guys, PFF, most QB stat metrics and more on point the thoughts of our own decision makers and Fitz himself who talked about how he's playing his best ball now. 

Most of the reason why I pushed for Fitz in the FA thread was just watching the dude play.  It turned me from a skeptic to a believer.  The stats are just the kicker to me.  And I do trust the brain trust here so if they echo the same point then it solidifies my belief even more. 

As for Fitz.  I see him as a middle of the pack QB.  He's not a top 10 QB.  But he's good enough to win with this roster.  And I think his intangibles are perfectly suited to a young team like this one.   The three aggregate stats I see the most for QBs are the three I post below.   So even going with the most pessimistic stat it still has him as middle of the pack QB.  Sounds about right to me. 

QBR ranking:  5

QB rating:  17

PFF ranking:  "the veteran ranks 15th in PFF passing grade since 2018"

For the few people that make the case that Fitz hasn't been improving as he ages - that point to me requires some imagination and more on point distrust of the decision makers here.  The decision makers here have made the same point about Fitz improving as he goes -- that includes Rivera, Zampese, Turner.  I've read multiple times when they missed out on Stafford, Fitz became a top target.    Anything is possible especially at the QB spot.  But if I am a betting man, right now I'd bet on Fitz albeit I wouldn't put a ton of money behind it. 😀

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-football-is-ryan-fitzpatrick-2021s-premiere-late-round-qb

...Perhaps I’m being overly kind here considering you could also point out that Fitz has been involved in constant QB competitions over the past three years; just realize they usually haven’t come down to performance. Rather, both the Bucs and Dolphins (rightfully) wanted to see what their young QBs had. This was more clear than ever in 2020, as Fitzpatrick outplayed Tua in terms of PFF passing grade (72.7 vs. 70.7), big-time throw rate (4.5% vs. 2.4%), yards per attempt (7.8 vs. 6.3) and adjusted completion rate (78.2% vs. 74.2%) alike.

...I fully expect Tua to improve in a much-better offense entering 2021; that doesn’t mean we can’t give Fitzpatrick some love for playing great in a not-good situation. The Dolphins boasted below-average PFF grades in terms of pass blocking (21st), receiving (17th), rushing (No. 20) and run blocking (No. 30), yet Fitz managed to post top-12 marks in both yards per attempt (No. 9) and adjusted completion rate (No. 12).

To say FitzMagic merely passed the eye test is an understatement.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Here's a look at just about everything Fitzpatrick's teammates have said about him since he arrived in Washington. 

Daron Payne (3/24/21)"I know we played him in Tampa once," the defensive lineman said. "He was just ballin'. Ever since then, I've loved watching him play, so I'm excited to see him with the team... Now he can help me instead of hurt me."

Adam Humphries (3/29/21): “It’s exciting. Fitzy just makes coming to work everyday fun. You can tell he’s got a lot of passion when he plays. He’s got a love for the game that not many people have. He just makes playing football fun. He brings a good attitude toward every situation.

"I think there’s just a calming sense to his demeanor in the huddle, on the sideline, pregame. A lot of guys just build up so many emotions pregame or on the bus ride to the stadium, and it gets a little tense at times. Just being around Fitzpatrick and just the way he carries himself, it’s calming and relaxing. It allows you to play freely. I’ve enjoyed that part of Ryan.”

Ron Rivera (4/1/21): "[Fitzpatrick's] a savvy veteran who has had a lot of success and who has worked with a lot of other quarterbacks, a lot of young quarterbacks, who’s been in a lot of different systems. Also, just the fact that when you look at his numbers analytically, he’s actually improved in his play in the last couple years, too. There are a lot of positive things about having this type of guy around. I’m pretty excited, I really am."

Scott Turner (5/5/21): “We’re really excited about Ryan. That was a guy in free agency that we wanted to get and we were able to get him. You look at the last two years, he’s really played the best football of his career... Obviously he’s 38 years old, couple months younger than me, but he is playing well, he’s playing at a high level and there’s no reason to believe that he’s not going to continue that."

Dyami Brown (5/28/21): “Oh man, that’s a guy right there. That’s a guy. I like him a lot. You know, he’s out there, he’s composed. He likes to throw deep. I’ve just seen him throw deep a few times, he has a great arm."

Terry McLaurin (6/4/21): "Fitz is great. The first thing that struck me about him is just that he has a [really] cool, calm demeanor about him. When he's in the huddle, it's just really collected... He puts an emphasis on really being in communication with the receivers. That's not just me. I've seen him communicate with just about every receiver on the roster right now, just about what they're thinking with this route, what they're thinking about with this leverage. I think that is very important to do at this part in the season because you want to try to start making that connection early."

"He's also a student of the game. He's super smart. It helps me out because I get to try and see the game through his eyes."

Ken Zampese (6/8/21): “I think he has such an extreme desire to excel and to be in the top group of quarterbacks and compete at that level. I think he’s ultra-competitive and I think that’s what we’re seeing when we watch his career get better as it goes on. From banging and bouncing around and making the most of his opportunities, and always learning.

"He’s such a unique look and a unique character and his delivery is dry as can be and he just drops these one-liners and bombs on guys and they don’t even know what happened. He’s got a great deal of swag for such a, I don’t know what you say about the exterior, I love him. He’s authentic through all of it which is the important part. He’s got a lot to give, he’s got a lot of experiences.”

When FitzMagic scores on a keeper, and Chase Young runs down the field to him, points at his name on the back of he Jersey and says into the camera -- FitzpaTRICK, FitzpaTRICK! Then we'll know that he really has this team behind him.

• Haha 2

That knowledge is part of the package that head coach Ron Rivera and the Washington Football Team expected they were getting when they signed Fitzpatrick to a deal in March. Sure, they wanted him to use his gunslinger playing style to make the offense more explosive, but they also hoped to take advantage of his other famous attribute, which is helping younger players succeed.

It's safe to say Rivera has been happy with the results so far, particularly among the wide receivers.

"He can share his wisdom with these types of guys," Rivera told Senior Vice President of Media and Content Julie Donaldson.

Fitzpatrick has already given a snippet of insight into how he tries to work with his pass-catchers. Every receiver is a little different in terms of how they run routes and when they expect the ball. It's similar for quarterbacks as well; each one has a different expectation for when they want to release the ball as a receiver's route progresses. The only way to connect that is by building strong trust and communication.

"Part of it is, for me at least, that I am going to put it in the spot I believe it needs to be," Fitzpatrick said at the start of OTAs. "That is going to result early on in some incompletions and then we can talk about why I threw it where I did."

It's nice to hear those words from a quarterback; it's even better to see it happen. There have been several examples of it, but one of Rivera's favorites was when Fitzpatrick was working with Dyami Brown on a pivot route. Brown was stopping short of where he was supposed to be, which forced Fitzpatrick to throw the ball on a different trajectory.

When Brown came back to huddle, Rivera heard Fitzpatrick say to him, "Listen, when you're going to run that route and you're going to work away from that guy, keep going because I'm gonna try to throw you away from him and create the opening for you to catch and keep going."

"Oh, okay I got it," Brown replied, and it worked exactly how Fitzpatrick said it would the next time Brown ran the route. All Fitzpatrick had to do was give Brown a thumbs up for him to know he had done it the right way.

"The kid was really fired up that he had done it right, and you can see what an experienced guy can do and what he means for young players," Rivera said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

The three highest-graded seasons of Fitzpatrick’s NFL tenure have been the most recent three, with him earning marks of 83.9, 76.5 and 75.1, respectively. 

...Fitzpatrick is playing the best football of his career, and although that's nothing spectacular compared to top-notch signal-callers, Washington was smart in hitching its wagon to a player who should provide the team with capable starting quarterback play on a good roster.

Over the past three seasons, Fitzpatrick’s PFF grade ranks 15th in the NFL. He also has some of the highest single-game PFF grades in the league over that span, with three performances that earned 91.5-plus marks and more in the high 80s. Of course, the rollercoaster had its low points, as well, and he has had eight games grade in the 50s or below over those three seasons. It won’t always be smooth sailing, but Fitzpatrick should provide average play as a starter, which is a huge improvement over what the team had last season, even when Alex Smith was starting (and winning) games late in the season.

...However, what Fitzpatrick's intelligence has allowed him to do is analyze his own game and identify the best way to play given a baseline of high turnovers. He knows he isn’t Manning or Brady, and that he doesn’t have the physical tools of Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes, but what Fitzpatrick can do is give his receivers a chance to make plays — more so than many other passers might.

At one point last season, he was caught on tape imparting some of that wisdom to then-rookie Tua Tagovailoa during a particularly difficult game. Fitzpatrick explained that some days you’re not going to have the time to go from one to two to three in your progression to find the open guy. Sometimes, you’re just going to have to go to one, and then give that guy a chance.

It’s no coincidence that Fitzpatrick’s best seasons have come when playing with high-level receivers and also that he has been able to coax solid play out of other underwhelming wideouts. DeVante Parker had been a disappointment in Miami until Fitzpatrick arrived and started giving him more of an opportunity to make plays regardless of how much separation he created.

Parker’s rate of open targets, as charted by PFF, actually declined as his production skyrocketed. He wasn’t getting any more open than before; he was just working with a quarterback who didn’t care as much. 

Fitzpatrick seems to recognize that there’s often a better chance of an elite receiver winning his rep than there is of him extending the play to try and find somebody with separation in an area he can easily hit, and that’s the true genius to his late-career development.

It’s also why Washington’s obvious intent to add receivers this offseason was important to his success and therefore the team’s chances overall. 

Terry McLaurin is a star, but a one-man-band in the NFL is a lot easier to stop than a loaded receiving corps. Curtis Samuel coming over in free agency and then the Football Team selecting Dyami Brown in the 2021 NFL Draft give Fitzpatrick more receivers he can trust to make plays. Brown, in particular, has extensive experience in college of being that type of receiver for his quarterback.

We might think that Fitzpatrick has hung around the NFL because of his veteran presence or because he is a great character or just because experienced quarterbacks are hard to shake loose from the league, but the real reason is that his career has been an impressive demonstration of how a player can remodel their game to make the best of what they have while embracing their flaws.

On 6/11/2021 at 10:46 PM, Califan007 said:

You want Fitz in week 1 no matter how well either Allen or Heinicke play against similar competition?...Because you know beyond doubt Rivera isn't gonna base who he starts at QB on 4th quarter stats in preseason games. I just want whoever is playing the best and shows they deserve to start.

Regarding throwaway passes...this is for 2019, but Fitz had the lowest percentage of throwaways, and it's not even close (and as you guessed, Brady had the highest percentage of throwaways lol):

throw away percentage 2019.png

& with that I say THROW THE ****ING BALL AWAY! Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I feel like this is something where stats can be a bit misleading. I don't think anyone would really say that Fitz is better than most of those guys (though he's a better actual passer than Jackson IMO).

I think it helps combat the conventional wisdom that Fitz is nothing more than a 38 year old journeyman QB who has never played well enough in 27 seasons to be worthy of starting. A little hyperbolic, yes lol...but I've heard that description of him more times than I can remember.

• Like 3