Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT signs QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one-year deal worth $10 million!... Oh, Oh, Oh Fitzmagic... ya knooowwwww!

zCommander

On 3/16/2021 at 9:00 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

That should be a fun change.  A couple of years ago we were a punchline on GMF when they talked about teams that no one cares about as for a national audience.

The thing is it wasn't a couple of years ago.  We only need to go back to November when the team was 2-7 and very much still a laughing stock. Now just 4 months later we have respect around the league. That is simply amazing to me.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

The thing is it wasn't a couple of years ago.  We only need to go back to November when the team was 2-7 and very much still a laughing stock. Now just 4 months later we have respect around the league. That is simply amazing to me.  

I lmeant my point though exactly how I said it.  It wasn't me talking theoritically.    GMF did a segment about 2 years ago.  Not when they went 2-7.  About some complaining that how certain teams almost never get discussed and they emphasize too much the same teams.  So one of the people in their panel picked two teams to goof on the point us being one of those teams about how we can talk about them but will anyone listen/care or something like that. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

9 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

To be honest he WAS at best average prior to last year. That’s why there was limited demand for him and we got him so cheap. He was a gamble that paid off big time.

Extreme Kudos to our TE coach and Logan for working hard and blossoming under his tutelage. 

Cooley and the rest of the league evaluated the acorn but last year it grew into an oak tree.

And he heated up toward the end. There were some brutal drops on key downs, particularly early in the season. 

He's a low-end starter with potential to be above the league average. 

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

This guy is going to be worshipped. Hero status on its way :rofl89:

We've had Dwayne Haskins at quarterback the last two years. Before that our quarterback was winning games but then got hit with a life threatening injury and he came back and looked meh as hell but he did what he does and found ways to help this team win games (or, not lose games).

But the QB play has been abysmal. The level of upgrade that Fitz is is scary. :ols:

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

The more I rad about Fitz, the more I love the guy. 

I didn't know much about him prior to him joining, but I really like his handling of things, him being excited of being given a chance. A chance being the only thing he's asking for. Guy is obviously a football addict and only cares about being on the field playing the game. That will be something different for us.

So yeah, I really look forward to watch the guy play. I'm already expecting headscratching plays from him, but I'm also expecting lots of fun watching our team playing and seeing him throwing balls to Samuel and McLaurin.

I don't know if we'll go to the paloffs, contend, or be another bottom dweller in the NFL. But being fun to watch is all I can ask for from the team nowadays.

Yeah, hero status may be on its way considering what we went through for so many years. And considering what the guy went through, it's not completly out of the realm that finally, Fitzpatrick is a good opportunity for the team, but the team is also a great opportunity for him. Even if we ended 7-9 last year with virtually no offense, we're not as hapless as some teams he went through.

Really looking forward next season's fun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yeah I'd guess if he plays like he did in Miami it would be the closest we get to 2012 on that front.   Alex was a high end game manager -- great leader, great guy, great story but nothing wow about his play here and we got smoked by prolific offenses when we had shoot outs versus NO and Atlanta when he was here.   You weren't seeing the stands populated with Alex jerseys. 

I liked Kirk more than most but his roller coaster streakiness and missing out on the playoffs post 2015 along with the contract impasse might him oddly feel like a rental -- also not a ton of Kirk jerseys in the stands.   Fitz is clutch and he will play some killer wow type games that will likely create a buzz that while won't be on the 2012 level -- he will IMO become the most beloved QB we have since 2012.  He also has more personality to him than anyone since RG3. 

I'll make a guess now that at some point during the 2021 season there will be some posts about what will it take to get him back in 2022.

When I was listening to Omar Kelly (writes for a Florida newspaper that I read) talk him up yesterday on the radio, it made me feel even better about Fitz.  The reason being Kelly is typically cynical as heck and especially about QBs.  His point mirrored mine which is today's Fitz isn't the same guy from 4-5 years ago, he's improved and is a good QB now.  For his short stint in South Florida, the dude is big time beloved.  

My guess is he will be the most beloved QB since RG3.  Assuming he plays like he did last year.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7

I hate to rain on the parade, but I think Fitzpatrick's closest recent Redskin comp is Rex Grossman. I think he'll certainly make some throws and make some games exciting, but there will be several games where his turnovers are back-breakers. It'll be interesting to see how long fans are OK with that (especially if a winnable game is thrown away) before wanting to play close to the vest and let the D win. 

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I hate to rain on the parade, but I think Fitzpatrick's closest recent Redskin comp is Rex Grossman. I think he'll certainly make some throws and make some games exciting, but there will be several games where his turnovers are back-breakers. It'll be interesting to see how long fans are OK with that (especially if a winnable game is thrown away) before wanting to play close to the vest and let the D win. 

They both take risks, but the comparison ends there IMO.

12 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Fitz said when one on one he likes this WR to go for it aka he gives his WRs the chance to get it. If that is what you call it "**** it, I am going for it!" It will all depend on how quickly he can build the chemistry between him and his WRs. If both side can click quickly then there will be less INTs. 

Edited by zskins

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

High-risk, high-reward players with average physical skills. That's my primary point. I don't know if their arm strength/speed/etc. is perfectly comped. Who is the closest recent QB on the Skins that you'd use as a comp?

I'd rather not use our former QBs, they're all so bad besides one year of RGIII and Kirk lol. I think Fitzpatrick is more accurate and sees the field better than Rex Grossman. 

Fitzpatrick can probably chuck it for 4,000 yards if given a full season, I don't think Rex has come close to 3,500 yards passing in a season. I'm also pretty sure Rex has close to a 55% completion percentage at passing, the dude was horribly inaccurate. 

11 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'd rather not use our former QBs, they're all so bad besides one year of RGIII and Kirk lol. I think Fitzpatrick is more accurate and sees the field better than Rex Grossman. 

Fitzpatrick can probably chuck it for 4,000 yards if given a full season, I don't think Rex has come close to 3,500 yards passing in a season. I'm also pretty sure Rex has close to a 55% completion percentage at passing, the dude was horribly inaccurate. 

That's fair - I always saw Grossman as someone who could win the team a shootout but could also inflict some wounds. I see Fitz as similar. You're probably right on the specific stats, I wasn't getting that deep into it. 

We shall see. 

9 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That's fair - I always saw Grossman as someone who could win the team a shootout but could also inflict some wounds. I see Fitz as similar. You're probably right on the specific stats, I wasn't getting that deep into it. 

We shall see. 

I can't believe the Bears went 13-3 (had to look it up) and went to the Superbowl with him at the helm honestly. That Bears defense was nasty. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

Rex Grossman only had 3 seasons when he threw more TDs than INTs (2-1, 23-20, 7-4). 

Fitzpatrick had 4 seasons when he threw more INTs than TDs (three of them were his first three years of playing time).  Fitzpatrick is no franchise savior, but he's not just jack it up and see what happens like Grossman either.

Here are Fizpatrick's numbers from each of his stints (where he played more than one year):

Buffalo: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm#2009-2012-sum:passing

59.8 % Completion

3390 Yards

23 Touchdowns

19 Interceptions

28 Sacks

6.0 AY/A

79.8 Passer Rating

New York: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm#2015-2016-sum:passing

58.3 % Completion

3528 Yards

23 Touchdowns

17 Interceptions

20 Sacks

6.3 AY/A

80.3 Passer Rating

Tampa: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm#2017-2018-sum:passing

63.6% Completion

3965 Yards

27 Touchdowns

17 Interceptions

24 Sacks

8.0 AY/A

94.7 Passer Rating

Miami: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm#2019-2020-sum:passing

64.2% Completion

3747 Yards

22 Touchdowns

14 Interceptions

36 Sacks

6.9 AY/A

89.0 Passer Rating

Career: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm#2005-2020-sum:passing

60.7% Completion

3392 Yards

22 Touchdowns

16 Interceptions

29 Sacks

6.3 AY/A

82.3 Passer Rating

I have no issues with bringing him in, as long as there is a legit competition.  But the fawning over this signing is just bizarre to me.  The guy made a career out of being the guy who comes in off of the bench and plays good for a stretch (sometimes longer than others) before the wheels eventually all come falling off.  

31 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Fitzpatrick is no franchise savior, but he's not just jack it up and see what happens like Grossman either.

I agree.

Fitzpatrick isn't a "gunslinger" in the vein of a Favre or Grossman.  He's also never thrown over 4,000 yards and has only thrown for over 25 touchdowns once.  

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Fitzpatrick isn't a "gunslinger" in the vein of a Favre or Grossman.  He's also never thrown over 4,000 yards and has only thrown for over 25 touchdowns once.  

To be fair the guy haven't played a full season as a starting QB since 2015 when he was with the Jets so that doesn't help.

He's been a stop gap QB for many years, and he's good at it.

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I lmeant my point though exactly how I said it.  It wasn't me talking theoritically.    GMF did a segment about 2 years ago.  Not when they went 2-7.  About some complaining that how certain teams almost never get discussed and they emphasize too much the same teams.  So one of the people in their panel picked two teams to goof on the point us being one of those teams about how we can talk about them but will anyone listen/care or something like that. 

I understood your point. Mine is you could have taken those same people and they would have had the same response as recently as 4 months ago.  

4 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

To be fair the guy haven't played a full season as a starting QB since 2015 when he was with the Jets so that doesn't help.

He's been a stop gap QB for many years, and he's good at it.

What have been the reasons he's been benched in all those seasons? It's an honest question because I don't know. But clearly if a guy can't stay on the field for various teams and coaches, it tells us something, right?