Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 ES GM's Mock Draft....

COWBOY-KILLA-

4 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I don't understand why incorporate comp picks if we aren't drafting for a team?  Is it basically to just eliminate taking into account team needs, but we would still be assigned a particular team's draft slots?

If the ultimate goal is to gain points based on team's picks/%correct then you would throw off those numbers starting with the 3rd round.  Now if we wanted to do this based only on the first two rounds than it would work, or am I missing the idea all together?

5 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I don't understand why incorporate comp picks if we aren't drafting for a team?  Is it basically to just eliminate taking into account team needs, but we would still be assigned a particular team's draft slots?

For me it's to have the full number of picks as in the regular draft.  Makes for a better comparison. But since no teams, no trades. None at all. This is strictly how does your board stack up. 

27 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Maybe I was not clear about what I was talking about.  No issue if GMs are assigned 1-20 say. And we start the rotation over every 20 picks. So the person who gets #1, also gets #21, #41, etc.  So comp picks jsut get rolled in .I like that approach.

What I was saying the comp pick would be an issue is earlier someone had suggested we assign GMs say the 7th pick of every round. So if you #7, you get Rd 1-pick 7, rd 2 pick 7 etc. With comp picks, there are not the same number of picks per rounds the comp picks would make it complicated. Hope that clears it up. 

Sorry, apparently my brain is cooked, bc I'm still lost. 😂

I don't see a difference between the first paragraph scenario and the second paragraph scenario.  Scenario #1 has 1st pick in each round, and scenario #2 has 7th pick in each round.  Same thing right?  And as far as scenario #1, what do you mean comp picks just get rolled in?  

If we aren't assigned a team, which team's comp picks would we be assigned?  Why even bother with comp picks?  Like in a fantasy re-draft, there are no comp picks, there are the same number of picks in every round, equal to the number of GMs.

If I'm still not making any sense, or I'm making things more complicated, I apologize, and I'm cool with bowing out of the convo and just waiting for my assignment and instructions. 😂

19 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

For me it's to have the full number of picks as in the regular draft.  Makes for a better comparison. But since no teams, no trades. None at all. This is strictly how does your board stack up. 

Ahhh, ok, you can ignore most of my previous post.  Thanks.

This would be my vote.  We aren't assigned a team, just a draft slot, same order every round.  Our score is based on differential between where we selected the player, vs where the player gets selected in real life.   It can be computed a variety of ways: basic subtraction, difference in trade value chart, % +/-.  Bonus points for getting pick right outside of 1st round.  Stuff like that.  No comp picks, no teams, no trades.  

As far as length of draft, real life draft is 259 picks this year, so I'd do the lowest number that is at least 259 where every GM gets the same number of picks.

OK I need to lie down now.

Edited by KillBill26

17 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Maybe I was not clear about what I was talking about.  No issue if GMs are assigned 1-20 say. And we start the rotation over every 20 picks. So the person who gets #1, also gets #21, #41, etc.  So comp picks jsut get rolled in .I like that approach.

That's the concept I was eluding to as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll ride with whatever you guys decide. The thought of it all hurts my brain. lol.

We could also do one that people pick quickly and it shuts off everynight. starting again the next day and for those unable during the day they would have lists of their picks ready.. with the aim of completing it in a few days. nothing extended. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

If the ultimate goal is to gain points based on team's picks/%correct then you would throw off those numbers starting with the 3rd round.  Now if we wanted to do this based only on the first two rounds than it would work, or am I missing the idea all together?

Gotcha, my vote is to not be assigned a team, just a draft slot.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Sorry, apparently my brain is cooked, bc I'm still lost. 😂

I don't see a difference between the first paragraph scenario and the second paragraph scenario.  Scenario #1 has 1st pick in each round, and scenario #2 has 7th pick in each round.  Same thing right?  And as far as scenario #1, what do you mean comp picks just get rolled in?  

If we aren't assigned a team, which team's comp picks would we be assigned?  Why even bother with comp picks?  Like in a fantasy re-draft, there are no comp picks, there are the same number of picks in every round, equal to the number of GMs.

If I'm still not making any sense, or I'm making things more complicated, I apologize, and I'm cool with bowing out of the convo and just waiting for my assignment and instructions. 😂

I think it's the number of GMs and as such I am not being as clear. So it may be on me. 

Scenario #2 assumes we have 32 GMs. Let me start with scenario #2 - In that one you are assign a specific pick per rd - say you get the 7th pick of each round. So your picks are Rd1 Pick#1, Rd2  Pick #1, Rd 3 pick #1 - so all the 1st picks of each rd. When you get to the end of the 3rd rd though, there are more than 32 picks. So at rd 3 pick #33, who gets that pick? And do we restart at Rd 4 pick #1? 

If there are 32 Gms, then scenario #1 and #2 could be the same. When you get to Rd 3 Pick #33 (97th overall), the person with Rd 1 pick 1 picks but when you get to Rd 4 pick 1, you do NOT start over, you continue in the same order. Then the 98th pick goes to the person assigned the #2 pick of each rd. But at Rd 4 pick 1, you do not start over. So the person with the 1st pick would not pick again until the 2nd pick of the 4th rd. 

Scenario #1 allows for less than 32 GMs. Let's say have only 20 GMs. Then we get assigned a random order. So let's say I get #4. I would get the 4th pick in the draft and then #25, then #45, then #65. So every 20 picks it would be my pick. 

If we have 32 GMs and do NOT start over at Rd 3 Pick 33 (97th overall), then the 2 scenarios are the same. 

Either that helps or I really confused things more. LOL  We can table this till we decide to actually have a draft and we can show it in a spreadsheet. 

Edited by goskins10

Not that anyone cares what I think but if we're doing another draft, I'm fine with keeping the same team or being assigned a new one. I could've gone multiple directions throughout the draft and would be curious to see how a different path would turn out. But I'd be open to taking a different team as well. It would certainly require more research as I'm most familiar with the rosters of Baltimore and Washington, but I'd be open to it. 

I'm not sure if I am reading it correctly, but it sounds like you all are considering another draft format where we are simply given an order of "teamless pickers" and we'll take turns essentially building a big board. Is that correct? If so, I'll be honest with you, I'm not too interested in that lol. Picking players BPA without weighing how they would fit on the current roster both short and long term sounds a little boring to me. 

Edited by duffy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, duffy said:

Not that anyone cares what I think but if we're doing another draft, I'm fine with keeping the same team or being assigned a new one. I could've gone multiple directions throughout the draft and would be curious to see how a different path would turn out. But I'd be open to taking a different team as well. It would certainly require more research as I'm most familiar with the rosters of Baltimore and Washington, but I'd be open to it. 

I'm not sure if I am reading it correctly, but it sounds like you all are considering another draft format where we are simply given an order of "teamless pickers" and we'll take turns essentially building a bog board. Is that correct? If so, I'll be honest with you, I'm not too interested in that lol. Picking players BPA without weighing how they would fit on the current roster both short and long term sounds a little boring to me. 

And that's fair. I would be OK with either but I do get the idea of having a team. It's more GM like. And we can see how fast you can come up to speed on the team you get. You would only have 24 hrs or so. 

I am open to both. 

I'm reposting this bc I typed it in a prior post I edited, just want to make sure the guys I responded to see it:

This would be my vote.  We aren't assigned a team, just a draft slot, same order every round.  Our score is based on differential between where we selected the player, vs where the player gets selected in real life.   It can be computed a variety of ways: basic subtraction, difference in trade value chart, % +/-.  Bonus points for getting pick right outside of 1st round.  Stuff like that.  No comp picks, no teams, no trades.  

As far as length of draft, real life draft is 259 picks this year, so I'd do the lowest number that is at least 259 where every GM gets the same number of picks.

OK I need to lie down now.

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

And that's fair. I would be OK with either but I do get the idea of having a team. It's more GM like. And we can see how fast you can come up to speed on the team you get. You would only have 24 hrs or so. 

I am open to both. 

Agreed, I'm down for anything, and I don't feel too strongly either way.

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I would actually be fine with doing Chicago again without trading up for Wilson.  

I was going to suggest we just redo the whole thing with no trading. That would save the time of waiting for offers and negotiating. Plus, everyone is already familiar with their roster and needs.

Whatever you all decide, I should be able to play. Just lemme know. I'm going to finish working my Mock Draft Review...

Edited by duffy
  • Like 1

I think that if we kept the team sort of draft, it would be an idea for everybody to be a different team, rather than some GM’s keeping the same team. This is because another person would bring a fresh and different draft strategies to a team which could then be looked back on and discussed which was better. 

Edited by Owls0325
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

I'd be open to flipping someone and getting out of Houston if someone wanted to trade teams and we kept 1 team per GM

2 minutes ago, Owls0325 said:

I think that if we kept the team sort of draft, it would be an idea for everybody to be a different team, rather than some GM’s keeping the same team. This is because another person would bring a fresh and different draft strategies to a team which could then be looked back on and discussed which was better. 

I agree with this even though I know my ideas would be better. Sometimes it's nice to have other people publicly recognize it.

Edited by duffy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Davistron20 said:

With pick #204, the Dallas Cowboys select:

Feleipe Franks, QB, Arkansas                

Standing 6'6 and 235, with a baseball arm, Franks hits all the physical checkmarks. After losing his starting spot at Florida to Kyle Trask because of a season-ending injury, Franks transferred to Arkansas where he defied all odds to have his best season yet despite having considerably less talent around him.

He's not a polished quarterback and has his faults, but he has shown to be able to overcome significant adversity and persevere. He has room to grow and is in a great spot to develop on a team with good WR talent and an already established franchise QB, where he can grow into his backup role.

Was hoping he'd drop.  He's got the physical tools and seems to throw a decent deep bomb, but definitely has a lot to work on.  From the Arkansas tape I watched, he could also use an O-line that doesn't spring 1 or 2 free-runners every few plays.  Probably makes it difficult to go through your progressions when you're worried about being decked at any moment.

• Like 1

With the 214th pick of the draft, GB selects a hit-or-miss prospect:

T.J. Vasher, WR, Texas Tech
TJ-Vasher-catch.jpg
Wait, that's a catch?
6'6" receiver with decent athleticism and belongs in the circus with the catches he makes.  Comes with some questions about his work ethic, so he could bust out of the league.  But on the other hand, he can do this:

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

With the 214th pick of the draft, GB selects a hit-or-miss prospect:

T.J. Vasher, WR, Texas Tech

Wait, that's a catch?
6'6" receiver with decent athleticism and belongs in the circus with the catches he makes.  Comes with some questions about his work ethic, so he could bust out of the league.  But on the other hand, he can do this:

I really like this guy as a late round lottery ticket.