Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2022 (Dems in charge of Senate. Reps take the House. Herschel Walker headed back home to ignore his children )

Cooked Crack

Have you voted yet?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have you voted yet?

• By mail
    • Early voting
    • Not yet
    • can't vote/not voting

Incumbent U.S. District 16 Rep. Vern Buchanan cruised to victory over Republican challenger Martin Hyde in Tuesday's primary election.

Buchanan won the race with a massive 86.2% of the vote over Hyde, which is the largest margin of victory the congressman has ever earned in a primary during his 16-year career.

He earned 63,193 votes, compared to 10,083 votes in favor of Hyde, with all precincts in Manatee County and 446 of 448 precincts in Hillsborough reporting. Vote by mail ballots were still being processed.

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/news/politics/elections/2022/08/23/florida-election-results-2022-vern-buchanan-lead-over-martin-hyde-district-16-primary/7864203001/

Edited by EmirOfShmo

So many possible responses. 

You mean, splitting the votes you want between multiple candidates, can result in somebody else winning?  

"If you take the top four candidates, and add the votes of #2, 3, and 4 together, you get ..."

• Thumb up 1

40 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Can't fault Oz for thinking hydroxychloroquine might be helpful in March 2020. The pandemic just started and everyone was looking for a silver bullet.

Yes, you can absolutely fault a medical professional for rushing an unproven medication to market based on no legitimate evidence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 2

Nadler pounced upon Maloney who was a key figure in the Washington workplace investigation

Not to gloat but I don't see much more coming after that. It was all fiery rhetoric anyway, but what are you gonna do? YOU DID BAD THINGS, WASHINGTON. YOU MUST PAY. DAN SNYDER IS BAD. Yes, we know this. We don't need a congressional hearing to declare the obvious.

Waste of taxpayer dollars IMO. I am fully aware I am a Washington fan but it just seemed so pointless. Plus the allegations (as grevious as they are) happened well before the new people took over.

A Florida Judge Who Denied A Teen Girl An Abortion Because Of Her Grades Was Voted Out Of Office

ith the fight over abortion rights looming large over the midterm elections, voters in Florida ousted two prominent anti-abortion elected officials in separate races on Tuesday.

Florida Rep. James Bush lost his reelection bid, a notable defeat for the sole Democrat in the state legislature who voted on a 15-week abortion ban and the anti-LGBTQ "Don't Say Gay" bill.

His opponent, 37-year-old lawyer Ashley Gantt, ran on a platform focused on affordable housing, public education, and criminal justice reform. Gantt, an attorney and former public school teacher, has criticized Bush for siding with Republicans on the abortion ban and the "Don't Say Gay" bill, which bars "classroom discussion about sexual orientation or gender identity."

"As a Black woman, I was offended when he voted to restrict my rights, our right to make decisions over our bodies," she said last week. "As a former teacher, I was insulted that he voted to inject Tallahassee extremism into our classrooms and deny local control over our school systems."

Gantt and Bush were the only two candidates vying for District 109. As the winner of the Democratic primary, Gantt is now the representative-elect.

Bush was first elected to the Florida state House in 1992. He was elected again in 2008, then in 2018. His penchant for supporting Republican-sponsored bills drew the ire of his fellow Democrats, some of whom publicly voiced their support for Gantt in the election; Democratic state Sen. Jason Pizzo recently accused him of "voting against Democratic values and kissing the Governor’s ass - all day, everyday."

Florida voters also ousted Jared Smith, an incumbent circuit judge for Hillsborough County who gained notoriety for rejecting a teenager's request for an abortion because her grades were low.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

Ousted Florida data scientist Rebekah Jones wins House primary, will face Rep. Matt Gaetz

An ousted Florida data scientist who said she was fired for refusing to manipulate COVID-19 numbers and emerged as a critic of Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis over his handling of the pandemic won her U.S. House primary race and will challenge Rep. Matt Gaetz, one of former President Donald Trump's staunchest supporters, for a seat in Congress. 

Rebekah Jones won Tuesday's Democratic primary in northwestern Florida’s first congressional district, setting up a chance to unseat the incumbent Gaetz, who has represented the district since 2017. 

Jones was vaulted into the public eye during the early stages of the pandemic after she was fired from her position at the Florida Department of Public Health.

The Democratic nominee said she was fired for speaking out about what she said was the state's manipulation of COVID-19 data, while state officials said she was fired for insubordination. 

Jones had intended to run as an unaffiliated candidate, but a new Florida law provision required her to run under her registered party. 

"I had to run as a Democrat, but I'm not running on a party platform," Jones told the Pensacola News-Journal, part of the USA TODAY Network, in February. "I'm not running on Nancy Pelosi or Joe Biden. I've taken a lot of heat, actually, from my own party for being critical of Joe Biden, especially on COVID response and the Afghanistan debacle."

"I'm the only one who can win this against a Republican, Gaetz or otherwise, and I'm certainly the only one who's taken on the GOP in the state and beat them," Jones said at the time.

Unseating Gaetz in a traditionally red district expects to be a steep task. The Republican congressman swiftly secured a primary victory Tuesday. But he faces legal troubles and scandals of his own.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Can't fault Oz for thinking hydroxychloroquine might be helpful in March 2020. The pandemic just started and everyone was looking for a silver bullet.

7 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yes, you can absolutely fault a medical professional for rushing an unproven medication to market based on no legitimate evidence. 

It's not just that it's "unproven".  

There's what, 10,000 drugs on the market right now?  And 9,997 of them are "unproven" against Covid.  

But pushing that particular drug?  It's done for precisely one reason.  As a Trump Loyalty Test.  

It's purple Kool Aid.  

• Like 6