Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Fire that big Burgundy jet up and get to texas!!!

Was curious why they were releasing him, apparently had a few discipline problems, mentioned being lata for a COVID test, not sure what the others were for. Another vet they releasing to get younger / cheaper?

It makes sense to try and get Cunningham imo with Davis possibly missing time.  

It's possible we put in a waiver claim however his contract may be a deterrent, signed a $58 million 4 year extension in August of 2020.

The team may try and wait to get a more favorable contract if he clears waivers.

3 hours ago, OMacAttack said:

It makes sense to try and get Cunningham imo with Davis possibly missing time.  

It's possible we put in a waiver claim however his contract may be a deterrent, signed a $58 million 4 year extension in August of 2020.

The team may try and wait to get a more favorable contract if he clears waivers.

The Texans are absorbing the bonus. I assume we’d only absorb the base salary and could restructure/cut him after this year

I doubt anyone claims him with the remains of that contract just lurking, waiting to go on the books if someone puts in a waiver claim.

1. Because no one can be 100% sure why the Texans just abruptly gave up on a young guy they had just signed to a big extension, yes they are the clownish Texans but it’s still a risk that there’s another shoe about to drop or he’s having issues of his own or is just not as coachable as he was on his rookie contract.

2. Because most teams don’t like adding big chunks of salary to their cap at this point in the season, plans are already being made for off-season extensions and cap roll-overs etc. Most teams will imo gamble that nobody else wants that contract either. The Texans have signaled that he’s damaged goods, and he’s not a well-rounded player anyways. So whether it’s true or not, I don’t think anyone picks up that contract. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Forehead said:

The Yahoo article I read said the Texans are absorbing the bonus.  Whoever signs Cunningham is on the books for only $275,000 this season and no guarantees past now.

Could be an interesting add.

This is good information, that makes it much more interesting, given that you’d definitely think he’ll be claimed then. 

57 minutes ago, Forehead said:

The Yahoo article I read said the Texans are absorbing the bonus.  Whoever signs Cunningham is on the books for only $275,000 this season and no guarantees past now.

Could be an interesting add.

If that's the price tag I expect us to have a claim in.

I'm shocked we didn't put a claim in on Cunningham.   Was he not a fit in our scheme?  I doubt it had anything to do with not wanting to bring a new guy in on a four-game winning streak considering it's our biggest weakness and he has a proven track record.  Someone please explain this to me.

13 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

I'm shocked we didn't put a claim in on Cunningham.   Was he not a fit in our scheme?  I doubt it had anything to do with not wanting to bring a new guy in on a four-game winning streak considering it's our biggest weakness and he has a proven track record.  Someone please explain this to me.

From what I read he's really bad in coverage and it seems like Ron is emphasizing coverage ability in our LBs.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

From what I read he's really bad in coverage and it seems like Ron is emphasizing coverage ability in our LBs.

Possibly, I'm guessing it has more to do with him missing a covid test and being benched earlier in the year for being late.  He is probably stressing high character guys.

• Like 1