Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Definitely one to watch. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love that to happen this season. Be interesting to see what money we offer McCain if we try to actually sign him up.

I don't think Collins and McCain have anything to do with each other. Its obvious Mc would be a pure single high FS. 

McCain, Reaves

Collins, Curl, Forrest

That would be our 5. Cut Trapke and Everette.

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't think Collins and McCain have anything to do with each other. Its obvious Mc would be a pure single high FS. 

McCain, Reaves

Collins, Curl, Forrest

That would be our 5. Cut Trapke and Everette.

I don’t think we have 2 ‘highly’ paid vet safeties on the books. Not for too long anyway.

7 hours ago, RWJ said:

I think McCain has a better chance of being signed than Leno but both could be wrapped up on Monday.  McCain is tied to Stokes when he was in Miami so I look for him to be signed plus he was a Captain.  I think RR loves leadership and that is sorely needed in our secondary.  

RR also likes position ‘flex’ and McCain had a number of years as a slot corner.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I don’t think we have 2 ‘highly’ paid vet safeties on the books. Not for too long anyway.

I doubt McCain gets $7mil a year, but could be close which isn't that high.

Collins is on this team this season regardless. 

They are prototypical to their exact positions. Ones a strong, ones a free. You make it sound like they play the same position and they do not.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

You make it sound like they play the same position and they do not.

No I don’t.

I just don’t think after this season we would have Jackson,Fuller, McCain and Collins on really good DB contracts. Money will need to go elsewhere.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

No I don’t.

I just don’t think after this season we would have Jackson,Fuller, McCain and Collins on really good DB contracts. Money will need to go elsewhere.

After this season, sure.

This season we will or why would we be his first stop?

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

No I don’t.

I agree UK74 and I look for Collins to be moved/released.  Fuller might be a trade candidate if McCain plays well and is signed to a less expensive multi year contract.

2 minutes ago, terpfan said:

No chance McCain gets $7 mil per year. For reference, Anthony Harris got a 1 year, $4m deal from the Eagles. 

Maybe a 2 year 10 mill dollar contract with 7 mill guaranteed.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, terpfan said:

It is pretty crazy that if nothing else, he’s the only bad contract on the roster right now.... that’s why we’re in the position of being able to sign other teams’ cap casualties. It’s a nice change of pace. 

OR maybe it's because we only pay our QB a ...

giphy.gif

Put me in the camp of a *healthy* Collins settling into the defense In year 2 and performing. We have an absolute glut at the position. I think Forrest could be another diamond in the rough in the secondary. Future starting FS. But if we sign McCain we don’t need that this year anyway. Buffalo Nickel formation will likely be ...

Jackson - McCain - Collins - Fuller

Curl - Holcomb - Davis 

Young - Allen - Payne - Sweat

from a talent perspective that’s 💯

And the quality rotational pieces we will have in that scenario is also mind boggling. If Collins isn’t healthy and Curl is your SS then you have a Reaves or Moreland or Forrest be your Buffalo nickel. And in a base you probably have: 

Jackson - McCain - Curl - Fuller 

Holcomb - Bostic - Davis 

Young - Allen - Payne - Sweat

And every player doesn’t play every play so even in or out of base you won’t hve much of a drop off in quality. 

Im a big fan of Forrest and Reaves so even if we fail to sign a FA FS I’m still feeling similarly

Adding to that, if St.-Juste balls out in camp and early in the season they could put him at CB outside and flip Fuller inside on clear passing downs. Then you have Fuller playing slot corner / Buffalo nickel and Curl and Collins and McCain deep and then Jamin Davis at LB either blitzing or picking up coverage underneath on clear passing downs. 

• Like 5

I think Collins gets the ax after June 1.  Over paid, under performer, who reportedly balked at the notion of playing linebacker.  The way Rivera values flexibility and team first players doesn't bode well for Landon.

2 minutes ago, mojo said:

I think Collins gets the ax after June 1.  Over paid, under performer, who reportedly balked at the notion of playing linebacker.  The way Rivera values flexibility and team first players doesn't bode well for Landon.

JDR balks at the idea of him playing LBer. 

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Maybe so but I heard on one of the podcasts that he flat out shut it down when the topic was brought up by a reporter.  Not a great look for a guy I would consider on the bubble at this point.

1 minute ago, mojo said:

Maybe so but I heard on one of the podcasts that he flat out shut it down when the topic was brought up by a reporter.  Not a great look for a guy I would consider on the bubble at this point.

There was a narrative that Collins could/should move to LB and a reporter asked the question, but you have NO idea what the team is/was saying behind closed doors.

Collins has likely had meetings with Rivera and JDR where he's been told exclusively he's a SS and not a LB ... or he's been in position meetings or whatever to know his place. So his response of balking could simply be his understanding that he's NOT being asked to play LB, not balking at the idea itself.

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

There was a narrative that Collins could/should move to LB and a reporter asked the question, but you have NO idea what the team is/was saying behind closed doors.

Collins has likely had meetings with Rivera and JDR where he's been told exclusively he's a SS and not a LB ... or he's been in position meetings or whatever to know his place. So his response of balking could simply be his understanding that he's NOT being asked to play LB, not balking at the idea itself.

You have NO idea any meetings took place.

8 minutes ago, mojo said:

You have NO idea any meetings took place.

Wait. You are telling me that the fanbase and media, purely based on speculation due to the emergence of Kam Curl, thinks Collins would be a good fit at LB. But we have more insight than the player, in the system, on the team, meeting with coaches?

I'd say there's a better chance Collins knows his role on the team better than anyone on here or in the media ... that's my point.

So him being dismissive of playing LB is likely because he has never been told to move to LB and maybe emphatically told he's purely a SS on this team.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, mojo said:

Collins was as bad as Bostic at poor reads, terrible angles, and not maintaining contain--that 80 yrd run from Daniel Jones was mostly his fault as he got caught inside and left nothing but green on the outside. My fat white ass could have gotten 30 on that play. Well 20. I would have just stopped running after that and been out of breath.

Blog | Fillion Fitness

• Haha 8

We know he is not being cut, because that's terrible cap management. 

We know preinjury that he's a great SS.

We know he isn't a LBer.

He says he's not playing LBer.

We know his coach says he's a SS and not playing LBer.

So, these are the things we know. Anything else is just opinion.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Wait. You are telling me that the fanbase and media, purely based on speculation due to the emergence of Kam Curl, thinks Collins would be a good fit at LB. But we have more insight than the player, in the system, on the team, meeting with coaches?

I'd say there's a better chance Collins knows his role on the team better than anyone on here or in the media ... that's my point.

So him being dismissive of playing LB is likely because he has never been told to move to LB and maybe emphatically told he's purely a SS on this team.

That’s pure speculation on your part as well and it’s probably more likely that 2 years ago he was the highest paid safety in league history, he has an ego, and still considers himself worthy of that status.

44 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah JDR made it clear Collins is a safety. 

He concluded the interview segment on Collins by saying ‘that doesn’t mean he won’t be playing in the box closer to the line is scrimmage, which well at times will be like a LB’ :ols:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mojo said:

That’s pure speculation on your part as well and it’s probably more likely that 2 years ago he was the highest paid safety in league history, he has an ego, and still considers himself worthy of that status.

I agree with you. The current noise is all posturing because we are stuck with Collins on his deal, for now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yeah JDR made it clear Collins is a safety. 

He concluded the interview segment on Collins by saying ‘that doesn’t mean he won’t be playing in the box closer to the line is scrimmage, which well at times will be like a LB’ :ols:

@mojo but this is my point here. If JDR didn't come out and say Collins is purely a safety, then yes, my observation would be just as much speculation as anything else. But JDR's comments confirm the team's stance, which then, in my mind, explains why Collins is dismissive of a move to LB. One, probably because of some ego as you say, but two, because the team has told him that he is a safety, so he will naturally balk at any suggestion that he is a Linebacker.

I guess he could have answered the question by stating that he's "happy to play wherever the coaches tell me" but if the coaches have told him point blank, you're a SS in this system and Curl will be the buffalo nickel / running down FS, then I can't really fault him for his answer.

• Like 1

Collins is not getting cut this year unless it’s for conduct detrimental to the team. Even cutting him after June 1 this year would result in him counting 16 mil agains the cap this year and almost 10 mil against next year’s cap. Not happening. 

• Like 2