Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

10 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Flacco is a strange pairing with Jalen. One almost too mobile, the other cemented into the ground 5 years deep

Philly need to revisit some contracts I think. That kind of back-up contract is a decent chunk when you have no cap space. 

Still wonder if Ertz is on his way out.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Philly need to revisit some contracts I think. That kind of back-up contract is a decent chunk when you have no cap space. 

I've got a feeling Ertz will be a Redskin as well, another thought on my favourite subject of this off-season Brandon Sherff 🙄 I think we knew that we weren't going to be Big players in FA, so paying him the 18m makes a little more sense if they want to see if he can stay healthy, worst case scenario is we get a 3rd round pick in 2023. 

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I would have agreed with you before FA began. Now I am not certain unless there are lots of cuts coming. This whole cap thing has driven me crazy this year. WFT had more space than most teams and has addressed a couple positions and may slide one more in. Some these other teams that had little space grabbed more FA's than WFT, WTF?

14 hours ago, KDawg said:

I mean I think you’re right. They haven’t done much at LB and it’s for a reason. Likely because they think JHC/Holcomb can play there and if they get a chance in the draft they take one.

I couldn’t disagree more if they do think that... but hey... they’re pro coaches and I coach HS :ols:

I disagree as well and I am just an armchair coach 

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

I would have agreed with you before FA began. Now I am not certain unless there are lots of cuts coming. This whole cap thing has driven me crazy this year. WFT had more space than most teams and has addressed a couple positions and may slide one more in. Some these other teams that had little space grabbed more FA's than WFT, WTF?

Yeah it’s been a bit frustrating at times, think a few teams, Philly included, are still just scraping by the seat of their pants. Maybe they get Pitt’s in first and Ertz becomes a post 1 June move. Or they kiss and make up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

Oh Dear Oh Dear, with a deep draft class, and TY still on the market this would be just about the dumbest move I could think of

You would think TY would get a look. 

That said, fourth round pick or less, I’m open minded to that. As long as we retain those day two picks, fine, look around at options. Rookie contract for a couple more years and we can focus in on other areas in the draft. Still doesn’t stop us taking a burner in the draft.

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

That said, fourth round pick or less, I’m open minded to that. As long as we retain those day two picks, fine, look around at options. Rookie contract for a couple more years and we can focus in on other areas in the draft. Still doesn’t stop us taking a burner in the draft.

I mean if it’s a fourth rounder I think I’d rather just draft our own

Cam Sims went for almost 200 more yards than Harry last season

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Doesn't help us focus on other areas in actuality though, that would be the height of arrogance since he’s been a monumental bust so far. He’d be a lottery ticket addition for a 6th or 7th, or he’d be a mistake. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If we pick another receiver up TY is the guy. As the boundary guy on the backside his downfield threat opens things up for Samuel and McLaurin. But the money has to be right cap wise.

I wouldn't write him off but TY Hilton has been pretty bad for the past year or two. He drops a lot of balls and has had his share of missed games due to injury. Could Fitz revive his career??? 

Just now, kingdaddy said:

I wouldn't write him off but TY Hilton has been pretty bad for the past year or two. He drops a lot of balls and has had his share of missed games due to injury. Could Fitz revive his career??? 

Well, that's why the money has to be right. But they still have to respect him. 

Last year he had 56 rec for 762 yards and 5 TD with a 60% catch rate.

For perspective: McLaurin had a 75% catch rate (65 in 2019), Samuel had a 79% catch rate last season, Metcalf a 64% rate, Hopkins 71%, Golladay 62%, Allen Robinson 67%...

So while I agree he is dropping off, a cheap (for vet consideration) contract for TY doesn't prohibit drafting a guy and it allows a down field threat that teams have to pay attention to. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I remember alot of us liking Harry before that draft.  He was really good YAC wise at ASU.  Maybe he needs a change of scenery, but nevertheless, I'm not giving up much of anything for him.  

Harry wasn't one of my guys before that draft but I liked him and spent some time watching him.  I got to refresh on him.  He is a physical reciever.   He's like Harmon but with more strength and speed.   As for what happened to hiim in NE?  Don't know.

The comment below from Lombardi is funny in retropsect

https://arizonasports.com/story/1922207/nkeal-harry-nfl-draft-arizona-state/

Harry was one of the more coveted wide receivers coming into this year’s draft. Former GM Michael Lombardi said on his podcast of potential first-round pick in Ole Miss receiver D.J. Metcalf: “If you take (Metcalf) before N’Keal Harry, you are an idiot.”

Both ESPN’s Mel Kiper and Todd McShay had Harry going in the second round and ranked as the second-best wide receiver behind former Oklahoma Sooner Marquise Brown.

The 6-foot-2, 228-pound receiver has the hands and ability to catch the ball in traffic but also has run-after-the-catch ability. Colin Cowherd described Harry’s diving, one-handed grab this past season against USC as “the best catch at ANY level of football I’ve ever seen. Seriously.”

“N’Keal is a big man who can do a lot of different things for you,” Cardinals GM Steve Keim said of the local product who worked out privately for the team last week. “One thing that excites me about him is his ability to run after the catch. For a big, long athlete, he’s got unique skills after the catch, as well as tracking and adjusting to the football down the field.”

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 8.19.11 AM.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Doesn't help us focus on other areas in actuality though, that would be the height of arrogance since he’s been a monumental bust so far. He’d be a lottery ticket addition for a 6th or 7th, or he’d be a mistake. 

Yeah you may well be right, day 3 pick onward I can live with a trade. If the FO think it’s a goer at that cost, fine by me. If not, same applies. Open minded.

NE were a car crash last year, but clearly Bill doesn’t fancy him too much. or maybe they are stockpiling picks to attack QB in the draft.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yeah you may well be right, day 3 pick onward I can live with a trade. If the FO think it’s a goer at that cost, fine by me. If not, same applies. Open minded.

NE were a car crash last year, but clearly Bill doesn’t fancy him too much. or maybe they are stockpiling picks to attack QB in the draft.

Harry would clearly be a reclamation project.  I'd guess his appeal would be he at his best is sort of a poor man's Golladay.   From what I recall his skill isn't seperaton.  He's more of a contested catch guy like Dez Bryant at his best.  Physical player as for contested catches, blocking and YAC. 

But I agree with your point if Bill doesn't fancy him, that's a red flag.  I wouldn't give up much for him.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

On 3/23/2021 at 6:50 AM, UK Skins said:

Really? Wow. Thanks for finding that. It seems crazy that they had to be under the cap then but many aren't now 🤔

Just as a follow-up - I was reminded of one of the big reasons it sounds like teams are over the CAP but are not really. Many of the announced signings have not actually happened. The public announcements are just that the two sides have come to agreement. SOmetimes it can takes weeks to get the player signed, especially if that team needs to make CAP space for them. 

An example is the Giants announced they came to agreement with Kyle Rudolph several days ago. But he has not actually signed. In his case it's not good as it turns out he has an ankle injury. So they may not sign him. But players agree to terms but don't always sign right away a lot of the time. Maybe they are on vacation or the team has to clear CAP space. 

But the bottom line is, no matter what any sites like Sportrac or overthecap.com or ESPN might report, the teams are not over the cap. Those are projections for if all players agreed are signed they have come to terms with. If they were they would be fined, and heavily. Hope this helps. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Harry would clearly be a reclamation project.  I'd guess his appeal would be he at his best is sort of a poor man's Golladay.   From what I recall his skill isn't seperaton.  He's more of a contested catch guy like Dez Bryant at his best.  Physical player as for contested catches, blocking and YAC. 

But I agree with your point if Bill doesn't fancy him, that's a red flag.  I wouldn't give up much for him.

Main thing I would want to establish is about the players desire to play football. His real application. If it’s a case that he doesn’t fancy it, for whatever reason, then it’s a waste of everyone’s time. If the desire and application is there from him, it’s less is a red flag to me. 

I’ve seen enough dropped passes from most receivers on our team to be open minded this offseason to most moves at WR.

• Like 4

Random thought.  If you can convert Niles Paul to TE why not Harry?   Wonder if its in consideration to convert N'Keal Harry  to TE?

He can block, he's physical.  I think he has the frame to add another 10 pounds. 

As a player, he somewhat reminds me stylistically more of a TE.  What has me thinking about this some is Harry is so much like Harmon stylistically that I'd wonder why would they want two guys like that?

One of the beat guys was speculating about converting Harmon to TE.  If that thinking mirrors anything the FO is thinking, it doesn't seem that wild to me that you can make Harry into a project like that. 

Our TE coach supposedly is really good and some give him credit for both discovering Logan Thomas potential and coveting him in FA and in turn helping him develop.  Maybe there is some thought like this here?

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Main thing I would want to establish is about the players desire to play football. His real application. If it’s a case that he doesn’t fancy it, for whatever reason, then it’s a waste of everyone’s time. If the desire and application is there from him, it’s less is a red flag to me. 

I’ve seen enough dropped passes from most receivers on our team to be open minded this offseason to most moves at WR.

I agree.  Does he love football?   Arguably that was the issue with Doctson.  Cooley likes to say if he were a GM that would be a key criteria he'd try to judge players because its night and day for some guys as to their commitment to the game.  Attitude is as important as talent.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Random thought.  If you can convert Niles Paul to TE why not Harry?   Wonder if its in consideration to convert N'Keal Harry  to TE?

He can block, he's physical.  I think he has the frame to add another 10 pounds. 

As a player, he somewhat reminds me stylistically more of a TE.  What has me thinking about this some is Harry is so much like Harmon stylistically that I'd wonder why would they want two guys like that?

One of the beat guys was speculating about converting Harmon to TE.  If that thinking mirrors anything the FO is thinking, it doesn't seem that wild to me that you can make Harry into a project like that. 

Our TE coach supposedly is really good and some give him credit for both discovering Logan Thomas potential and coveting him and FO and in turn helping him develop.  Maybe there is some thought like this here?

NE had dire needs at TE and didn't see the potential there.  I think Ron probably liked him coming out and is putting out feelers.  I'm not giving up a 4th for the guy.  Most I give up is a 5th, but even then, I don't think its worth it.  With no 6th rounder, we need to keep that 5th.  I could see us trading down at least once in the draft to pick up that lost 6th.

Edited by mhd24

7 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

NE had dire needs at TE and didn't see the potential there.  I think Ron probably liked him coming out and is putting out feelers.  I'm not giving up a 4th for the guy.  Most I give up is a 5th, but even then, I don't think its worth it.  With no 6th rounder, we need to keep that 5th.  I could see us trading down at least once in the draft to pick up that lost 6th.

Harry was hurt his rookie year.   He played last year more.  They had Asaisi and Keene as rookies.  Why even think about converting him in that context?   You want to give him at least a season and they did.  

Would I want any WR as a convert to TE over Hunter Henry or Jonnu Smith?  Heck no.  And I read they still like Asiasi.  They intend to use him.  TEs tend time to develop. 

I am not saying this is what they are thinking.  I got no clue.  But a beat guy musing about Harmon converting to TE made me think about it for Harry considering their builds and style of play are similar. 

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/15/nkeal-harry-views-his-time-on-injured-reserve-as-a-blessing/

The New England Patriots will likely roll out their first-round rookie wide receiver N’Keal Harry in Week 11 against the Philadelphia Eagles.

He spent the entire regular season on the injured reserve list and was eligible to play in Week 9 against the Baltimore Ravens, but the Patriots made him inactive before the game. He spoke to reporters on Thursday for the first time since the summer and reflected on his rookie season to this point.

“It feels great just getting out there with my team,” Harry said, transcribed by NESN. “Just getting better every day with them. Just looking for my role and the way to help my team.”

His outlook remained positive in the first half of the season and his knowledge will only help him improve as a player.

“I just looked at it as a blessing,” Harry continued. “I just looked at the positive things in it. God has done so much throughout my life. He’s put stepping stones in certain places. I just looked at it the same way.”

Tom Brady spoke about Harry’s injury and the tenacity that he brings on a daily basis.

“Unfortunately for N’Keal, he got hurt early in training camp,” Brady said. “He didn’t have the development when other guys were practicing for over two months. He’s working hard. He’s extremely hard-working. He wants to do it. He’s got a great edge about him. I really love that. I really love his tenacity and he’s learning every day, and he’s working hard to get better. I think that is all you can ask of a younger player.”

Harry sustained his injury in a preseason game against the Detroit Lions after getting hurt in joint practices earlier in the week. He spoke about the decision to play the preseason game, and why he doesn’t regret it.