Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

5 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Re-read my comment.  I'm saying there's zero chance he doesn't sign the tag.  And if you negotiate off the tag number, it's disastrous.  It's everything we feared with Cousins except it's a ****ing guard.

Best case scenario for the team is he walks after playing out the year.

FOR A GUARD!!!!!!!!!!

First team All-Pro Guard.  Sure, you’d rather lock him down long term for less annually.  However, if he’s not gonna sign then get one more year of his services and then let him walk like Cousins.

43 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Am I right to believe that Scherff's franchise tag brings down our available cap by 18 million?

Its ****ing stupid. They could have signed a longer deal and frontloaded it. Now they're gonna be back to square one next year with Allen, McLaurin and Payne's contracts staring us in the face. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

First team All-Pro Guard.  Sure, you’d rather lock him down long term for less annually.  However, if he’s not gonna sign then get one more year of his services and then let him walk like Cousins.

Get one more year of his service?? For what?? Are we expecting to make a Super Bowl run this season?? 

I'd hate to do it, but I'd rather take a shot at the best Guard available in the 1st or 2nd round, then to pay him $18 Mill for one season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Its ****ing stupid. They could have signed a longer deal and frontloaded it. Now they're gonna be back to square one next year with Allen, McLaurin and Payne's contracts staring us in the face. 

We don’t know what they offered and what he turned down.  Some guys hate it here.

14 minutes ago, -JB- said:

He's not as good as that accolade and frankly it's the worst thing that could have happened.  He got it because he's a recognizable name.  That's it.

And even if he was?  So what.  An $18m guard is egregious misallecation of resources.  Doesn't matter how good he is.

I'm sorry, if you don't know why this is a terrible decision you just don't understand how to build a team in the modern NFL.  It's a total fail across the board and that's it.  Period the end.  

And yes that statement applies to the front office.

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, -JB- said:

First team All-Pro Guard* Sure, you’d rather lock him down long term for less annually.  However, if he’s not gonna sign then get one more year of his services+ and then let him walk like Cousins.

*when he’s on the field. he’s had injuries consistently throughout his career.

+while paying him 4 million dollars more than the next highest paid guard on an absurd contract.

1 minute ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Get one more year of his service?? For what?? Are we expecting to make a Super Bowl run this season?? 

I'd hate to do it, but I'd rather take a shot at the best Guard available in the 1st or 2nd round, then to pay him $18 Mill for one season. 

So if they locked him down long term for 15-16 annually for the next 5 years you’d be ok with it but one year 18 mill tag is just ridiculous?  They should just let him walk and hope there’s a rookie in the draft or guy in free agency that could come right in & mesh with the rest of the OL & play at that high of a level? Cmon.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

So if they locked him down long term for 15-16 annually for the next 5 years you’d be ok with it but one year 18 mill tag is just ridiculous?  They should just let him walk and hope there’s a rookie in the draft or guy in free agency that could come right in & mesh with the rest of the OL & play at that high of a level? Cmon.

That would be even dumber.  And it's what they'll do next because the just set the floor for negotiations.

Edited by 86 Snyder

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

List of ideal outcomes in order:

1. Sign Scherrf to 4-5 year deal for 14 mil a year spreading out guaranteed money so his cap hit is more like 10 mil a year. (good) 

2. If he won’t sign for that, let him go (ok)

3. Sign him for 18 mil for 1 year, costing 18 mil on the cap and then lose him to FA (very bad)

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I’m not happy with the tag.  It limits what we do in FA.  Puts pressure to use a pick on an IOL.

We have a lot of cap space but it doesn’t mean that we should look to sign a lot of players.  Continuity is important.  I’d honestly rather bring back Scherff on the tag and lessen the available cap space and only sign one or two players who fit our needs as far as schemes go than to let him walk and just spend even more $ to bring in extra guys from outside.  

2 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

List of ideal outcomes in order:

1. Sign Scherrf to 4-5 year deal for 14 mil a year spreading out guaranteed money so his cap hit is more like 10 mil a year. (good) 

2. If he won’t sign for that, let him go (ok)

3. Sign him for 18 mil for 1 year, costing 18 mil on the cap and then lose him to FA (very bad)

I mean I’m all for bringing back Scherff long term.  I have no idea what that will take in terms of yearly salary or guaranteed $ but I mean I think tagging him is better option than just letting him walk in free agency this year.

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

We have a lot of cap space but it doesn’t mean that we should look to sign a lot of players.  Continuity is important.  I’d honestly rather bring back Scherff on the tag and lessen the available cap space and only sign one or two players who fit our needs as far as schemes go than to let him walk and just spend even more $ to bring in extra guys from outside.  

We do but we don't. We have a lot of players needing contracts, don't really have a QB either.

13 minutes ago, -JB- said:

$16 Mill would've been my top number on a long term contract. And yeah, for this season while we're still putting this team together, I wouldve been fine with using our 1st or 2nd round pick on a Guard. Or even better, signing one of these FA Guards. FA hasn't even begun yet and there are already Quality Guards available. And more quality Guards will most likely become available due to teams having to cut more top tier players than usual due to the cap being so low. 

We're going to spend $18 Mill on a GUARD to protect one of these mid tier stop gap QBs who are going to sign a 1-2 year deal? Whatever, **** it, IDC.....had 5mins to get a laugh out of the cowboys Dak the 2nd highest paid QB in the league, and it typical Redskins/WTF fashion, we do some stupid **** to screw up my mood......

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not loving this. Do we have to many cooks in the kichen? Say the plan is to win him over with our graciousness. We still gotta pay him 18 million a year next year. Ehh I'm not sure but feels like we don't have the right people in charge on this one 

3 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

$16 Mill wouldve been my top number on a long term contract. And yeah, for this season while were still putting this team together, I wouldve been fine with using our 1st or 2nd round pick on a Guard. Or even better, signing one of these FA Guards. FA hasn't even begun yet and there are already Quality Guards available. And more quality Guards will most likely become available do too teams having to cut more top tier players than usual due to the cap being so low. 

We're going to spend $18 Mill on a GUARD to protect one of these mid tier stop gap QBs who are going to sign a 1-2 year deal? Whatever, **** it, IDC.....had 5mins to get a laugh out of the cowboys Dak the 2nd highest paid QB in the league, and it typical Redskins/WTF fashion, we do some stupid **** to screw up my mood......

We have too many holes to just let Scherff walk if he’s not committed to signing long term right now & then just to use our first or 2nd rounder to TRY and replace him.  Use those draft picks to address other areas of need.  Keep the OL intact.  Sure, draft a LT I’m not opposed.  I just don’t think this move is stupid as some of you do.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, -JB- said:

We have too many holes to just let Scherff walk if he’s not committed to signing long term right now & then just to use our first or 2nd rounder to TRY and replace him.  Use those draft picks to address other areas of need.  Keep the OL intact.  Sure, draft a LT I’m not opposed.  I just don’t think this move is stupid as some of you do.  

I said Draft OR sign one of the FA Guards.........This is not a make or break season for us. The world is not going to end if we dont have a Hall Of Fame caliber Guard on the offensive line this season. Unless we make a drastic move in the draft to trade up into the top 10, we're most likely not going to have our future cornerstone of the franchise QB on the roster anyway. If there was a season to let Scherff walk, this would be it.

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

How the hell could they not have worked out a deal by now? Did they not learn a thing from the Cousins debacle? Jesus christ. 

Lol all Scherff is going to say is "sign me at the tag amount for next year or I'm gone". This team is also ****ing it up with Allen too. If you wait until tag year players are just going to want a contract that is above the tag year for the next year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

I said Draft OR sign one of the FA Guards.........This is not a make or break season for us. The world is not going to end if we dont have a Hall Of Fame caliber Guard on the offensive line this season. Unless we make a drastic move in the draft to trade up into the top 10, we're most likely not going to have our future cornerstone of the franchise QB on the roster anyway. If there was a season to let Scherff walk, this would be it.

If Heinicke ends up starting this season he’s only making a few mill.  Signing Scherff to the high tag isn’t going to kill the franchise.  Most likely if they do draft a QB it could be day two pick who could use some time being a back up before being thrown to the wolves.  They are still absolutely fine as far as cap space goes & also have a good number of draft picks to work with.   

• Like 1

Has it been confirmed that it is not the non exclusive franchise tag?

At least with the NE Franchise Tag he could seek a deal with other teams and we can either match or be compensated. 

Because if not, we better get a dang deal done. Do not like the slow playing of contracts that we saw become common under Bruce and have seen continue with RR's tenure, regarding the more big time players. It's always cheaper to do it sooner than later, the longer we wait, the worse it's gonna be. Hope we get this done asap. Maybe we are close, hence the tag. 

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

If Heinicke ends up starting this season he’s only making a few mill.  Signing Scherff to the high tag isn’t going to kill the franchise.  Most likely if they do draft a QB it could be day two pick who could use some time being a back up before being thrown to the wolves.  They are still absolutely fine as far as cap space goes & also have a good number of draft picks to work with.   

We're one of the very few teams this offseason in a great space as far as our salary cap. Our cap just dropped from $50 Mill to $32 Mill. If/When these surprise quality players at positions of need start getting cut from other teams, remember that 18 Mill of our cap went to keeping a injury prone Guard for one ****ing season.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

We're one of the very few teams this offseason in a great space as far as our salary cap. Our cap just dropped from $50 Mill to $32 Mill. If/When these surprise quality players at positions of need start getting cut from other teams, remember that 18 Mill of our cap went to keeping a injury prone Guard for one ****ing season.

Our track record for spending freely in free agency is abysmal.  Might as well go above market value to keep continuity on the OL with a 1st team All-Pro Guard & spend thriftily in free agency to fill in holes on the roster.

19 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Lol all Scherff is going to say is "sign me at the tag amount for next year or I'm gone". This team is also ****ing it up with Allen too. If you wait until tag year players are just going to want a contract that is above the tag year for the next year. 

The whole point of contracts and a cap guy is to figure out how to move the pieces around so you can front load and backload and pay out more or less. Signing guys to FT does nothing positive. I hate it and to have basically had a year and a half to figure something out is astounding. Either he wants to be here long term and the team does as well or he or the team doesn’t. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1