Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Response:  

Pass a deficit reduction plan that meets your demands, and leaves those programs alone. 

Ouch! That means they have to get explicit instead of making vague threats. And it would still have to pass the Senate. 

Keep their feet to the fire Mr. President.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, LadySkinsFan said:

Ouch! That means they have to get explicit instead of making vague threats

It means they have to actually prove that it's possible to meet their demands, without doing what they claim they aren't demanding.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

This is what has been needed from the Dems for decades. Stop letting the GOP get away with saying whatever they want anbd flip flop with the wind with no accounbtability. The more the GOP whines the more Joe and company should pour it on. They said it. Either prove it wrong or keep taking the beating. Either way it's a win for everyone else. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I'll just note that SSI is not for "poor" people.  It is for disabled, blind, or elderly people.  

The below is from the notice of proposed rulemaking.  My takeaways are (1) this is really complex and must be expensive for the g'ment to administer (not to mention a pain in the ass for the recipient and (2) the current practice seems engineering to ensure that people will never get off of SSI.

We administer the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program. SSI provides monthly payments to: (1) adults and children with a disability or blindness; and (2) adults age 65 and older. These individuals must meet multiple eligibility requirements, including having resources and income below specified amounts.[1] 

Resources are cash or other liquid assets, or any real or personal property that individuals (or their spouses, if any) own and could convert to cash to be used for their support and maintenance.[2] 

Income is anything the applicant or recipient receives in cash or in-kind that can be used to meet food and shelter needs.[3] 

Applicants' and recipients' resources may affect their SSI eligibility, while their income may affect both their eligibility and payment amounts.

Once a claimant is found eligible for SSI, their monthly payment is determined by subtracting countable income from the Federal benefit rate (FBR), which is the monthly maximum Federal SSI payment.[4] 

The FBR for 2023 is $914 for an individual and $1,371 for an eligible individual with an eligible spouse.[5] 

Typically, after the first $65 earned each month, a recipient's SSI benefit will be reduced 50 cents for every $1 of 

earned income. For example, a recipient who earns $101 each month from a part-time job would receive $896 in monthly benefits in 2023. This is calculated by excluding the first $65 of the $101 earned ($36 remaining) and then reducing the SSI payment by half of that amount—an $18 reduction against the original payment of $914. Additionally, for income that is 

unearned (for example, cash received from a family member), after the first $20 received each month, for each dollar of unearned income a recipient's SSI payment is reduced by $1. For example, a recipient who received $50 from a grandparent each month would receive in $884 in monthly SSI benefits. This is calculated by excluding the first $20 of the $50 received ($30 remaining) and then reducing the SSI payment by that amount—a $30 reduction against the original payment of $914.

Income that affects the monthly benefit amount can be provided in cash or in-kind. Generally, we assess in-kind items at their current market value [6] under the presumption that they can be sold or otherwise converted to meet expenses. However, we treat the actual provision of in-kind contributions of food or shelter to an applicant or recipient differently than any other type of in-kind item.

Specifically, when food,[7] shelter, or both are provided to an SSI applicant or recipient (e.g., someone pays for rent, mortgage, food, or utilities), we consider it “in-kind support and maintenance” (ISM).[8] 

For example, if an applicant or recipient lives with his brother and does not pay rent, we would consider the shelter that his brother provides as ISM. Similarly, if an applicant or recipient lives with a friend and consumes the food in her friend's home but does not contribute toward the food or rent, we consider the food and shelter that the friend provides as ISM. As another example, if an applicant or recipient lives alone but her parents bring her groceries each month and pay her utility bills, we consider her parents' help as ISM.

In these circumstances, due to the complexity of determining the precise value of ISM and how these forms of support impact overall household operating expenses for a given individual, we typically reduce the SSI benefit by approximately one-third.[9] 

We discuss the specific means of doing so in the next section.

• Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Brandon is back, baby

Happy Joe Biden GIF by Biden Inauguration Committee

I must be honest, I'm not sure why so many people seem to think Biden can't win. Perhaps a year ago, but I don't see any of the current GOP "potentials" being too much of a theat.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I must be honest, I'm not sure why so many people seem to think Biden can't win. Perhaps a year ago, but I don't see any of the current GOP "potentials" being too much of a theat.

While I'd prefer someone younger (Liz, Pete, Gavin), I'm just fine with Dark Brandon.  He's kickin' ass compared to Donny Q.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1