Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

Scott doubles down on sunsetting all federal programs after Biden’s jab

Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.) on Wednesday defended his proposal to sunset all federal legislation after five years and slammed President Biden as “confused” in response to Biden’s claim at the State of the Union address that some Republicans want to sunset Social Security and Medicare.

“In my plan, I suggested the following: All federal legislation sunsets in five years. If a law is worth keeping, Congress can pass it again,” Scott said in a statement following Biden’s address to a joint session of Congress.

Scott last year rankled Republicans when he rolled out a 12-point policy agenda that included the sunset proposal, which Democrats promptly began using as ammunition in the midterms.

“This is clearly and obviously an idea aimed at dealing with all the crazy new laws our Congress has been passing of late,” Scott added, denying Biden’s claim Tuesday evening that Republicans want to end Social Security and Medicare.

Biden said that “instead of making the wealthy pay their fair share, some Republicans, some Republicans want Medicare and Social Security to sunset,” eliciting loud boos from GOP lawmakers in the chamber.

Some House Republicans have floated the idea of reforms to entitlement programs as part of debt ceiling negotiations, though Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and others insist cuts aren’t on the table.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 2

8 minutes ago, China said:

Scott doubles down on sunsetting all federal programs after Biden’s jab

Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.) on Wednesday defended his proposal to sunset all federal legislation after five years and slammed President Biden as “confused” in response to Biden’s claim at the State of the Union address that some Republicans want to sunset Social Security and Medicare.

“In my plan, I suggested the following: All federal legislation sunsets in five years. If a law is worth keeping, Congress can pass it again,” Scott said in a statement following Biden’s address to a joint session of Congress.

Scott last year rankled Republicans when he rolled out a 12-point policy agenda that included the sunset proposal, which Democrats promptly began using as ammunition in the midterms.

“This is clearly and obviously an idea aimed at dealing with all the crazy new laws our Congress has been passing of late,” Scott added, denying Biden’s claim Tuesday evening that Republicans want to end Social Security and Medicare.

Biden said that “instead of making the wealthy pay their fair share, some Republicans, some Republicans want Medicare and Social Security to sunset,” eliciting loud boos from GOP lawmakers in the chamber.

Some House Republicans have floated the idea of reforms to entitlement programs as part of debt ceiling negotiations, though Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and others insist cuts aren’t on the table.

That’s a pretty dumb plan, Rickey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Rick Scott trying to pull the Jedi Mind Trick "I'm outraged that he falsely said I wanted to sunset Social Security. I specifically said 'all federal programs'."

For some time, I've had the notion that the Republicans think they're Jedi. Who can say anything, and if they wave their hand the right way, the weak minded will nod in wondrous agreement. 

Part of me says "maybe they are. It's working."

Edited by Larry
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

Honestly I like the idea of sunsetting things 

but it requires a functional government with integrity to work, otherwise it would just be chaos and bull**** like we’ve never seen

so….

They can barely pass new legislation, having them re-argue all old legislation seems like a waste of time.  However, it you think something should be looked at periodically, write that into the legislation, a la the Patriot Act.

Edited by China
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 4

16 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Sounds like a great recipe for no functioning government.

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

Honestly I like the idea of sunsetting things 

but it requires a functional government with integrity to work, otherwise it would just be chaos and bull**** like we’ve never seen

so….

Sunsetting things like education, Medicare, and social security makes it impossible to do any long term planning even if both political parties have integrity.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

The Republican plan (one of them) is that they want to destroy it. But they don't dare actually vote to do that. 

So they're trying to come up with some way they can cut it, without saying they cut it. 

"I didn't vote to cut Social Security. I only voted to cut Social Security to people who aren't getting it till two years from now."

"I didn't vote to cut Social Security. I only voted to change the rules for it, as part of a two-step process which I have already announced will allow me, next year, to 'not cut Social Security, I only voted to spend the same amount of money on a larger pool of retirees.'"

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

39 minutes ago, China said:

They can barely pass new legislation, having them re-argue all old legislation seems like a waste of time.  However, it you think something should be looked at periodically, write that into the legislation, a la the Patriot Act.

Well. Right. That’s why I said if we had a functional government. 

with integrity. 

we clearly do not. 

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

Well. Right. That’s why I said if we had a functional government. 

with integrity. 

we clearly do not. 

This is so effing hopeless. 

"We know government is broken."

"The rich finance all political activity". 

"We will never fix it."  

Voters don't really have a choice. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

"We will never fix it."  

Which is why we'll never have any real, effective gun control legislation despite most people (including gun owners) being in favor of it.  The gun lobby has the legislators bought and paid for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

"We will never fix it."  

Well. We have a choice. 

There’s just a lot of stupidity and partisanship, and all those people get to vote too. 

divide and conquer 

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

Well. We have a choice. 

There’s just a lot of stupidity and partisanship, and all those people get to vote too. 

divide and conquer 

What choice. In 10 years we have had 150 Senate elections and about 2200 House elections.  How many 3rd party candidates were viable in those 2350 elections?  Not Bernie Sanders or Murkowski.  True, unaffiliated to the party representatives.

4 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

What choice. In 10 years we have had 150 Senate elections and about 2200 House elections.  How many 3rd party candidates were viable in those 2350 elections?  Not Bernie Sanders or Murkowski.  True, unaffiliated to the party representatives.

well - go look at primary participation and you’ll have your answer

we have the government we deserve. We picked them.

• Thumb up 1

On 2/8/2023 at 7:03 PM, Ball Security said:

Even McConnell thinks so...

'That’s not a Republican plan': McConnell distances GOP from Scott on Social Security, Medicare sunset plan

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell said any idea on sunsetting Social Security and Medicare belongs to Sen. Rick Scott—not the GOP.

“Unfortunately, that was the Scott plan, that’s not a Republican plan,” McConnell said on a Kentucky radio program.

McConnell’s comments about Scott, a GOP rival, come as the White House continues to spotlight how Republicans heckled — and apparently committed not to touch entitlement programs — during President Joe Biden’s State of the Union address this week.

“Speaker (Kevin) McCarthy said Social Security and Medicare are not to be touched and I’ve said the same,” McConnell told radio host Terry Meiners on Thursday.

• Haha 1

Scoop: Inside Biden's big deficit-cutting plan

President Biden plans to make deficit reduction a centerpiece of his 2024 budget and aims to pressure Republicans to focus on government revenue — not just spending, Axios has learned.

Why it matters: The White House is seeking a tactical advantage in its looming showdown with congressional Republicans on the debt limit — and wants to test Republicans' commitment to lowering annual deficits over the next decade.

Officials plan to dust off a variety of proposed tax increases on corporations and wealthy Americans — including Biden’s plan to boost rates on billionaires — to narrow the gap between what the government takes in and spends.

Biden's budget will claim some $238 billion of deficit reduction from the Inflation Reduction Act. It's unclear whether it will count the potential $400 billion cost of his student loan forgiveness plan, which is tied up in the courts.

Biden also is preparing to achieve his goal by slowing the rate of some spending. Republicans have called for cuts without specifying which ones.

He hinted at his strategy in his State of the Union address: “The plan I’m going to show you is going to cut the deficit by another $2 trillion."

• Like 2

Pentagon Downed Object Over Alaska, Official Says

The Pentagon downed an unidentified object over Alaska on Friday at the order of President Biden, according to U.S. officials.

John Kirby, the White House spokesman, confirmed the shoot down at a news conference on Friday.

A U.S. official said it was not confirmed if the object was a balloon, but it was traveling at an altitude that made it a potential threat to civilian aircraft.

Mr. Biden ordered the unidentified object downed “out of an abundance of caution,” Mr. Kirby said.

A U.S. official said there were “no affirmative indications of military threat” to people on the ground from the object. Officials said they could not confirm whether there was any surveillance equipment on the object that was shot down.

• Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1