Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Winter Weather Thread

China

On 1/14/2024 at 3:48 PM, China said:

There's supposed to be a high of only 33 in DC tomorrow. I predict ix will **** about how winter sucks and it should never be that cold.

12 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

it's way too cold to shovel outside. i know i work from home but I'm not paid to shovel snow, I'm paid to sit by a computer

stupid

winter sucks

Called it.

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

it's way too cold to shovel outside. i know i work from home but I'm not paid to shovel snow, I'm paid to sit by a computer

Do you just sit there and stare at the wall for eight hours? 🤣

Mostly ice n a lil snow in SW VA. Now it needs to hurry up n melt sos I can drive home. 

20240115_142719.thumb.jpg.c91af2d84c2bc26ed14a553f185f24d6.jpg

25 minutes ago, China said:

Called it.

you have been in this area as long as I have we should not get anything under 50 degrees in DC. this is not Canada. 

21 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Do you just sit there and stare at the wall for eight hours? 🤣

Mostly ice n a lil snow in SW VA. Now it needs to hurry up n melt sos I can drive home. 

20240115_142719.thumb.jpg.c91af2d84c2bc26ed14a553f185f24d6.jpg

pretty much. but I also work next to my bedroom. 

going outside or doing anything not work related just adds to time I have to make up. aka not billable time 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

you have been in this area as long as I have we should not get anything under 50 degrees in DC. this is not Canada. 

pretty much. but I also work next to my bedroom. 

going outside or doing anything not work related just adds to time I have to make up. aka not billable time 

I've lived in ATL for 34 years (35 in April).  Moved here from Jacksonville, FL. (hurricane alley).  

I've seen more ice, snow and gnarled up traffic here than I ever did in VA.  (And that's with 38" dropping overnight on my 17th birthday up in the hills, where it was 2 weeks before our road got plowed.)  There was no cable TV, no computers, just DC-101. 

Nothing is as advertised.  And I do mean NOTHING. 

• Thumb up 1

I'm just saying we shouldn't get anything under 50. or under 32. This isn't Minnesota, we shouldn't get lake effect storms like Buffalo, etc. It's basic geography.

Been under the weather too because of this cold streak. Too cold this winter. Seriously considering moving south, I remember going to Florida in December and the coldest it got was 68 degrees. Fly back home on Tuesday, go out in Dulles, like 40 degrees wtf.

**** sucks.

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

I'm just saying we shouldn't get anything under 50. or under 32. This isn't Minnesota, we shouldn't get lake effect storms like Buffalo, etc. It's basic geography.

Wrong.  I've been in this area over 50 years.  And, yes, we're supposed to get freezing weather.

For reference, here are the historic norms for temperatures in DC:

Washington, DC Temperatures

If you look at those tables, you'll see that the normal temperature for January is now mid-30s to low 40s.  Going back 30-40 years it was actually lower, in the low to mid 30s.

And we're not getting lake effect storms. Precipitation is natural.  When it's warmer that precipitation is rain, when it's cold that precipitation is snow.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I remember growing up in the NoVA seeing the weather talking about sub-zero temperatures (stood out because of Sub-Zero in Mortal Kombat).  We had enough ice one year that my dad built us an igloo in the front yard.  I loved that igloo.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

We definitely get freezing temps as normal here. 
Or, I should say we used to anyway. Winters used to be a lot colder in the DC area.
I can recall seeing the Potomac totally frozen over in the early 80s, I was working on the Washington Harbor construction, watched it freeze, stay frozen for maybe 2 months, then break up and move on. The ground used to freeze hard for the winter. Not now. 
When i first moved to Calvert the Patuxent would freeze, but not as hard as the Potomac. Ten years ago the little coves and inlets would sheet over, you can see them from the bridge over Solomons.

But not anymore. 
The last five winters or so it seems to me we have a handful of days like this, whereas we used to have PLENTY of days in the 20s during a given winter.

Now it feels like we have an avg. temp closer to 50. 
Purely anecdotal, but I hate cold. If it's under 45, I do not like to be out. I play pickleball (and used to be tennis) outdoors, and we play year round now. I play probably 3-4 times a week and the times i cancel for cold are FAR fewer than th times I go outside. 

~Bang

• Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Bang said:

We definitely get freezing temps as normal here. 
Or, I should say we used to anyway. Winters used to be a lot colder in the DC area.
I can recall seeing the Potomac totally frozen over in the early 80s, I was working on the Washington Harbor construction, watched it freeze, stay frozen for maybe 2 months, then break up and move on. The ground used to freeze hard for the winter. Not now. 

~Bang

All you have to do is look up the video from when the Air Florida flight crashed into the Potomac.  Plenty of ice in the river then.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, China said:

All you have to do is look up the video from when the Air Florida flight crashed into the Potomac.  Plenty of ice in the river then.

I remember that well. I was working at a savings & loan in DC. We shut down ~2:30, walked across the street to Revco, bought a couple of cases of beer & went back inside our building. A bunch of us hung out drinking beer watching the crash on tv.  

I do too. Terrible thing.

This was also the final straw for Howard Stern's time on DC101. 
He said on the air that if your drink wasn't cold enough, don't worry, Air Florida will stop for ice on the way.
He was gone after that.

~Bang

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EmirOfShmo said:

I remember that well. I was working at a savings & loan in DC. We shut down ~2:30, walked across the street to Revco, bought a couple of cases of beer & went back inside our building. A bunch of us hung out drinking beer watching the crash on tv.  

You old ****. My mom tells me about watching from the hospital after having me. 

:cheers:

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Bang said:

He said on the air that if your drink wasn't cold enough, don't worry, Air Florida will stop for ice on the way.
He was gone after that.

~Bang

My parents had won a 'getaway weekend' at some hotel down on the river so we teens were home watching it on TV. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bang said:

He was gone after that.

~Bang

My recollection was that Howard Stern called Air Florida and asked them what the fare was to the 14th Street Bridge, and that's what got him booted, but either way.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

On 1/16/2024 at 1:53 PM, ixcuincle said:

Been under the weather too because of this cold streak. Too cold this winter. Seriously considering moving south, I remember going to Florida in December and the coldest it got was 68 degrees. Fly back home on Tuesday, go out in Dulles, like 40 degrees wtf.

**** sucks.

Interesting. What say you about the nature of the shape of the earth. The ice wall creeps closer, don’t it?