Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Winter Weather Thread

China

3 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

Friends had a tree fall on their house. Thankfully everybody's OK, but they need major repairs. 

That's scary & a logistical nightmare, I'm sure.  Glad they're good, because having medical needs on top of everything else would really suck.  🤞🏻

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Hearing rumbles about a serious snow event for RVA on the 16th.

They can barely predict weather a day in advance, and they always do horribly predicting snow.  I wouldn't rush out and buy milk and TP just yet.  Besides, if what they're saying now comes true it will be right at the freezing point so would likely be a slushy, wet snow that would probably melt the next day.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, China said:

They can barely predict weather a day in advance, and they always do horribly predicting snow.  I wouldn't rush out and buy milk and TP just yet.  Besides, if what they're saying now comes true it will be right at the freezing point so would likely be a slushy, wet snow that would probably melt the next day.

And UGA has one of the very best atmopheric science programs on Earth...take that with a ton of salt. 

A weekend of intense winter weather could see low-temperature records set in the US heartland

Icy winter weather blanketed the U.S. on Saturday as a wave of Arctic storms threatened to break low-temperature records in the heartland, spread cold and snow from coast to coast and cast a chill over everything from football playoffs to presidential campaigns.

As the three-day Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday weekend began, the weather forecast was a crazy quilt of color-coded advisories, from an ice storm warning in Oregon to a blizzard warning in the northern Plains to high wind warnings in New Mexico.

“It’s, overall, been a terrible, terrible winter. And it came out of nowhere — two days,” Dan Abinana said as he surveyed a snowy Des Moines, Iowa. He moved to the state from Tanzania as a child years ago, but said “you never get used to the snow.”

The harsh weather in Oregon played a role in three deaths.

In Portland, medical examiners were investigating a hypothermia death as freezing rain and heavy snow fell in a city more accustomed to mild winter rains, and hundreds of people took shelter overnight at warming centers.

Click on the link for the full article

There's supposed to be a high of only 33 in DC tomorrow. I predict ix will **** about how winter sucks and it should never be that cold.

Edited by China
  • Like 1

The predictions for Tuesday night keep getting worse here in Tennessee. A few days ago they were saying a low of about 15. Then it changed to 12 then 9 then 7 and now it's 5.

It might get down to -10 before we get there.

• Sad 1

Walked to the grocery store yesterday, mostly so I could take photos along the way...light rain a bit as I walked there. When I was walking back, I swear the temps had dropped at least 20 degrees, no exaggeration. Checked the weather app on my phone after putting up groceries and making coffee--hands felt like razors had cut them up--and it said the wind chill was 6 degrees, and to expect wind chill of about -20 degrees today. Took the trash out this morning...they weren't ****in' around with that wind chill guess lol...Jeebus. It's gotten a little warmer, though...says the "Real Feel" temp is all the way up to 4 degrees.

• Sad 1

Twin flooding storms bring ‘absolute carnage’ to coastal Maine

Flooding on Wednesday damaged a seawall protecting a beachside home. The owner rebuilt what he could on Thursday. Then it was obliterated by Saturday’s storm that brought more devastation to coastal Maine.

A deck at that home was also destroyed. Next-door neighbor David Plavin’s home, which is also protected by a private seawall, also took damage. But they were among the lucky ones. Plavin estimated that four homes in this village of Saco were destroyed between last week’s twin storms bringing high winds and record tides to parts of the Maine coast.

A day after Saturday’s storm, coastal communities were only beginning to assess the damage. It seemed to fall hardest on areas where dunes and physical infrastructure like roads, seawalls and buildings had been weakened by winds and surge earlier in the week.

Reports from local officials suggested damage to public and private property in the tens of millions of dollars, particularly in southern Maine communities where homes were swept away or knocked from their foundations and other towns important to the state’s fishing economy. It will likely require an unprecedented federal, state and local response.

“It’s just absolute carnage,” Paul Plummer, the harbormaster in the midcoast town of Harpswell, said. “It’s going to be devastating to so many: not just residents and their recreational gear, but these commercial folks just took a beating.”

Damage_Camp_Ellis_Maine_flooding-1-scale

Click on the link for the full article

32 minutes ago, I_Bleed_B&G said:

Is it supposed to snow throughout the day here in Fairfax.  Was not expecting this when I woke up this morning?  I thought it wasn't supposed to start until late tonight

40% chance of snow after 4

Brutal arctic blast expands its reach as the South deals with deadly snow and ice

A brutal and prolonged arctic blast is bringing dangerous cold to a massive swath of the US, including new areas to the south and east, while snow, and ice slam parts of the South. Here’s the latest:

• Dangerous cold for Iowa caucuses: The coldest Iowa caucuses on record are forecast Monday, with below-zero high temperatures and wind chills in the minus 30s expected across the state. Those wind chills are cold enough to cause frostbite in as little as 10 minutes on exposed skin.
  • About 79% of US to see below freezing temperatures: Over 140 daily cold records could be broken Monday and Tuesday from Oregon to Mississippi, as temperatures in Memphis, Dallas and Nashville are expected to stay below freezing for at least 72 consecutive hours.
  • Treacherous travel conditions: Snow, sleet and freezing rain gathered on roadways across parts of the southern and central US Sunday night into Monday, making travel hazardous. One person was killed and another was injured in Arkansas after their pickup truck careened off a snowy White County highway and hit a tree, according to state police. The wintry mix will continue from Texas through the Lower Mississippi Valley into parts of the Tennessee Valley and Southern Appalachians. “Have a cold survival kit if you must travel,” the National Weather Service said.
  • Life-threatening wind chills: More than 140 million people in the US are under wind chill alerts stretching from the Canadian border to the Mexican border. Breezy winds are contributing to life-threatening wind chills. In South Dakota, wind chills as low as minus 45 can cause frostbite in as little as 5 minutes. Wind chills of 30 degrees below zero are expected from the Northern Rockies to northern Kansas and into Iowa.

Click on the link for more