Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Winter Weather Thread

China

14 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

We might get a little snow!  It's already coming down pretty hard where the grandkids are.  :)

Stay off the highway!

Anyway, today we’ve got .94 inches of rain and probably another half inch to go.  Gonna end up #2 all-time for Richmond.

This pic is from Dec. 16.

A4910F78-CBDA-4D27-B47F-ED51CC71BFC5.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Central Spain records temperatures of -25C after snowstorm

People in central Spain are struggling as a deep freeze follows the weekend's heavy snow, leading to treacherous conditions.

Officials have warned the elderly to stay at home.

At least seven people have died due to the weather - the two latest victims were homeless people in Barcelona.

The temperature plunged to -25C (-13F) in Molina de Aragón and Teruel, in mountains east of Madrid - Spain's coldest night for at least 20 years.

Deep snow left by Storm Filomena has turned to ice, disrupting transport. There has been an extraordinary quantity of snow and ice for Spain, where winters are usually quite mild.

Click on the link for the full article

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Winter is half over and nary a flake here in VA. Just bring the warm weather at this point.

Nary means not, it doesn't mean only a little.  Did you forget The snow in December?

But we are due for a mild winter with lower than average snowfall.  But as often happens around here, just when we're ready for spring we'll probably get some snow in March:

The coldest periods will be in mid- and late December and throughout January. Snowfall will be below normal, with the snowiest period in early March. 

Link

Edit:  and since I'm being technical, winter isn't half over yet.  Winter doesn't technically start until the Winter solstice (which was December 21st) and doesn't end until the Spring equinox (March 20th), so the halfway point of winter isn't until the beginning of February.

Edited by China
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Well, there’s supposed to be a polar vortex swooping down later this week or beginning of next week and last until mid February. So, you will get your winter soon enough.

For the DMV? The high is supposed to be 44° Saturday to Tuesday and the upper 40’s most of next week. Doesn’t sound like too much of a polar vortex 😂 

• 2 weeks later...

Atmospheric river means massive snow coming to the West

In what has been the worst fire season in recorded history in California, with twice the burned acreage of any season prior and fires burning months past the end of traditional wildfire season - some just days ago - fortune is about to shift, but to another extreme. A rip-roaring jet stream with embedded atmospheric rivers is primed to pummel California with heavy rain and massive snow over the coming week.

With the flip of a switch, California and the Southwest U.S., will go from the driest 6-month stretch in state history to the potential for flash flooding, landslides and snow so deep in the elevations, avalanches will become a danger.

Click on the link for the full article

21 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

If it’s going to snow only an inch overnight, then **** it, might as well not even snow at all. Might as well not even be cold. There’s just. No. Point! If its not enough snow to close metro so i get a day off work, i dont want it. 

Sounds like my wife.  If she isn’t going to get at least 7”, it isn’t even worth the mess.

• Haha 3

Well now. This is one of those storms that gets even my attention hitting right now. It's nukin' out there. Lake Tahoe area talking feet of this stuff when it's all done. Just started really dumping a little less than an hour ago and there's already a few inches on the ground. Looks like I'll be getting some old school shoveling snow workouts in the next couple of days. 

• Like 1