Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

People Trump Pardons/Commutes Sentence

LadySkinsFan

7 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I've heard that in order to accept the pardon, Flynn has to plead guilty. If he pleads guilty, he can't plead the 5th if brought to testify in front of congress.

I don’t think that is true.  I’ve watched every season of 24 and I now know the President can just hand out pardons without the guilty plea.

That, and I don’t believe Nixon had to plead guilty to anything.

7 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I don’t think that is true.  I’ve watched every season of 24 and I now know the President can just hand out pardons without the guilty plea.

That, and I don’t believe Nixon had to plead guilty to anything.

Nixon was pardoned without any charges.

36 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Seems to me not to be as relevant to the situation possibly.  But I'm no lawyer. 

After President Gerald Ford left the White House in 1977, intimates said that the President privately justified his pardon of Richard Nixon by carrying in his wallet a portion of the text of the Burdick decision that suggested that a pardon carries an imputation of guilt and that acceptance carries a confession of guilt. Legal scholars have questioned whether that portion of Burdick is meaningful or merely dicta.[2] Ford made reference to the Burdick decision in his post-pardon written statement furnished to the Judiciary Committee of the United States House of Representatives on October 17, 1974.[3] However, the reference related only to the portion of Burdick that supported the proposition that the Constitution does not limit the pardon power to cases of convicted offenders or even indicted offenders.[4]

I want libel traps galore!

The strategy is simple. Subpoena Trump people to testify under oath before Congress. Subpoena the pardoned idiots, too. Ask them a question in which they are likely to lie. They  will. They will be smug and obvious about it. Then, before they leave the chamber, charge them, arrest them, and ferry them to jail awaiting trial.

Among the things, this country needs to correct is the impression of House impotence. That subpoenas can be ignored. That lying can go unpunished.  The arrogance and abuses committed, time and again, by Republicans need to be forcefully stopped.

7 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I want libel traps galore!

The strategy is simple. Subpoena Trump people to testify under oath before Congress. Subpoena the pardoned idiots, too. Ask them a question in which they are likely to lie. They  will. They will be smug and obvious about it. Then, before they leave the chamber, charge them, arrest them, and ferry them to jail awaiting trial.

Among the things, this country needs to correct is the impression of House impotence. That subpoenas can be ignored. That lying can go unpunished.  The arrogance and abuses committed, time and again, by Republicans need to be forcefully stopped.

One thing a pardon does is eliminates their use of the Fifth Amendment.  Since they can't be charged they have no need to invoke the Fifth.  This is useful in gaining information about the crimes of others.  And, as you say, if they then perjure themselves they can be charged for that.

It really does seem to be an obvious failing in the pardon system.

"Hey commit a crime for me. Don't worry about the consequences. I can always pardon you."

Trump really did reveal how much of government relied on the honor system :(

It really only took two bad apples to destroy checks and balances.

Archived