Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How to fix the Democratic Party

Larry

35 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Quit with whatever this is. Why can't this happen in DC? No residents feel like their life is unspooling?

Thanks you. Obviously DC doesn’t have real humans living in it. Better go to some ****ing diner in the middle of nowhere where nothing ever happens. 

• Like 1

'We're not just voting. We're also running.' David Hogg launches young candidate PAC

As David Hogg underwent his own political evolution, he witnessed a generation of young people find their political voice.

"For every year of Trump's presidency, I think there was a new chapter of a social movement that was born," the 23-year-old gun control activist told NPR, "whether it was the Women's March, March for Our Lives, the environmental movement, or the movement for Black Lives."

Now, as the organizers that cut their teeth on those movements become eligible to run for office, Hogg wants to support their campaigns. He is launching Leaders We Deserve, a hybrid political action committee backing candidates under 35 years old running for federal office and under 30 years old running for state office.

The group — which plans to primarily focus on state-level races and a smaller number of congressional matchups — will target open, Democratic-held seats in the upcoming 2024 primary season.

"[We're] trying to pick them and say, you know, we would like to help you run for office, we'll supply you with all of the resources that you need and help basically coach you and hold your hand to get there, which is kind of the gap that's in the space right now, for at least young people at the state legislative level," the March For Our Lives co-founder said.

The move signals a widening political focus for Hogg, who has remained a prominent voice in the youth-led, grassroots movement to curb gun violence since he and his classmates survived a mass shooting at their high school in Parkland, Fla., more than five years ago.

Some members of his activist cohort have already entered electoral politics, including first-term Rep. Maxwell Frost, D-Fla., who came to Congress after a background in organizing at March For Our Lives. The first Gen Z member of Congress, Frost is on the advisory board for Leaders We Deserve, and his former campaign manager, Kevin Lata, serves as the group's executive director.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 3

Joe Manchin Says He’s ‘Thinking Seriously’ About Leaving The Democratic Party

West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin (D) says he is seriously thinking about ditching the Democratic Party and becoming an Independent before the 2024 election.

In a recent chat with West Virginia radio host Hoppy Kercheval, Manchin said that he’s not thrilled with how the Democratic brand because it’s [the] national brand. It’s not the Democrats in West Virginia.

“I’m thinking seriously. For me, I have to have peace of mind, basically. The brand has become so bad — the D brand and R brand. In West Virginia, the D brand because it’s [the] national brand. It’s not the Democrats in West Virginia, it’s the Democrats in Washington,” he said, according to The Hill.

“You’ve heard me say a million times I’m not a Washington Democrat,” he said.

While Manchin has been kicking around this Independent idea for a while now, he’s not dropping the “D” label just yet. However, he is contemplating his options for the upcoming year, weighing the possibility of seeking re-election for a fourth Senate term or pursuing a presidential candidacy supported by No Labels, a centrist bipartisan group that aims to raise substantial funds to introduce an independent third-party candidate to the presidential race.

This decision comes in the context of a challenging re-election scenario, given West Virginia’s historical support for former President Trump and recent polling that showed Manchin trailing behind potential opponents.

There’s chatter that Manchin might see a presidential run as his grand exit from the Senate rather than facing a potential loss in West Virginia. But people on both sides of the aisle are waving the caution flag, warning him that his presidential bid could end up being a Trump assist.

Manchin’s response? He’s not buying into the whole “helping Trump” idea.

“I don’t see that favoring either side because you just can’t tell how this is going to break,” he said. “If come January and February of next year these are still the main contenders, Donald Trump and Joe Biden, that’s a whole other scenario. ”

6 hours ago, China said:

Joe Manchin Says He’s ‘Thinking Seriously’ About Leaving The Democratic Party

West Virginia Senator Joe Manchin (D) says he is seriously thinking about ditching the Democratic Party and becoming an Independent before the 2024 election.

In a recent chat with West Virginia radio host Hoppy Kercheval, Manchin said that he’s not thrilled with how the Democratic brand because it’s [the] national brand. It’s not the Democrats in West Virginia.

“I’m thinking seriously. For me, I have to have peace of mind, basically. The brand has become so bad — the D brand and R brand. In West Virginia, the D brand because it’s [the] national brand. It’s not the Democrats in West Virginia, it’s the Democrats in Washington,” he said, according to The Hill.

“You’ve heard me say a million times I’m not a Washington Democrat,” he said.

While Manchin has been kicking around this Independent idea for a while now, he’s not dropping the “D” label just yet. However, he is contemplating his options for the upcoming year, weighing the possibility of seeking re-election for a fourth Senate term or pursuing a presidential candidacy supported by No Labels, a centrist bipartisan group that aims to raise substantial funds to introduce an independent third-party candidate to the presidential race.

This decision comes in the context of a challenging re-election scenario, given West Virginia’s historical support for former President Trump and recent polling that showed Manchin trailing behind potential opponents.

There’s chatter that Manchin might see a presidential run as his grand exit from the Senate rather than facing a potential loss in West Virginia. But people on both sides of the aisle are waving the caution flag, warning him that his presidential bid could end up being a Trump assist.

Manchin’s response? He’s not buying into the whole “helping Trump” idea.

“I don’t see that favoring either side because you just can’t tell how this is going to break,” he said. “If come January and February of next year these are still the main contenders, Donald Trump and Joe Biden, that’s a whole other scenario. ”

Joe you will never win a 3 way presidential race.  You won't do better than Ross Perot did in 1996; when he got around 5%.  All you will do is likely help tip the election to Trump.

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Joe you will never win a 3 way presidential race.  You won't do better than Ross Perot did in 1996; when he got around 5%.  All you will do is likely help tip the election to Trump.

How though?

No one gives a flying **** about Manchin  and he isn't attracting any likely Biden voters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

How though?

No one gives a flying **** about Manchin  and he isn't attracting any likely Biden voters. 

All you need 3-5 % taken away from Biden.  There’s a lot of Dems very dissatisfied with Biden for various reasons. If Joe M peels enough votes in key states, Joe B will lose. You don’t need a lot to peel away 3-5%.

Joe B would probably lose reelection if he faced someone other than Trump or Desantis or any other crazy goper.  A sane goper would beat him. Christie, Haley, Scott- 3 people who would never get nomination In reality would beat him. I think Mr Vest- Youngkin would beat him.

Biden is only president because of Trump and if he wins, it would be the same.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

Another liar.  What was the point of kneecapping Biden's green new deal if you aren't going to run. "Joe Manchin announces to conservatives and right wingers he's still willing to tip the election for Trump if the money is right" should be the headline. 

We could make a big, big splash and maybe bring the traditional parties of the Democratic and Republican Party [to] what they used to be, back to what they should be today,” he said.

Turds make big splashes too. But, please tell us what's wrong with the parties?  "No labels" is just another avenue for the 1 percent to faux reform politics.  I looked at their platforms and politicians.  It's all moderate Ds and Rs and they explicitly said "Lets be nice and make deals.'  And that they were trying to work within the current system. 

Donald Trump is demonstrating how to upend the political world.  He became President by  being something that most Americans want, "Someone that is not a politician"   I think there are more Donald Trump like figures in politics that will emerge.... in a much better way. 

Right now the top 1% is killing us with the same old politics.  How is it that none of them dare speak about McConnell, Feinstein, C Thomas, or even the fact that Biden and Trump holistically are not what we want. 

9 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

He could just as likely siphon votes from the GOP.  No one knows how it would play out.

• Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

All you need 3-5 % taken away from Biden.  There’s a lot of Dems very dissatisfied with Biden for various reasons. If Joe M peels enough votes in key states, Joe B will lose. You don’t need a lot to peel away 3-5%.

Joe B would probably lose reelection if he faced someone other than Trump or Desantis or any other crazy goper.  A sane goper would beat him. Christie, Haley, Scott- 3 people who would never get nomination In reality would beat him. I think Mr Vest- Youngkin would beat him.

Biden is only president because of Trump and if he wins, it would be the same.

This is mostly nonsense. People may gripe an issue here or there but overall Biden's been a terrific president and Democrats understand that. Biden isn’t losing to any of the GOP candidates. They’ve all shown themselves to be Trump-lights and being in a post Roe world now is going to continue to hurt the GOP nationwide. 

Manchin is just trying to figure out the best way to win in WV. I’ll happily take another 6 years of him over any GOP candidate. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hersh said:

This is mostly nonsense. People may gripe an issue here or there but overall Biden's been a terrific president and Democrats understand that. Biden isn’t losing to any of the GOP candidates. They’ve all shown themselves to be Trump-lights and being in a post Roe world now is going to continue to hurt the GOP nationwide. 

Manchin is just trying to figure out the best way to win in WV. I’ll happily take another 6 years of him over any GOP candidate. 

I think Manchin won’t run for reelection. Justice is leading by 20 points.

Joe the WV Dem is now a republican.  Parties change all the team. The gop is now a power hungry facist party.  The Dems are moving more towards the progressive direction.

On 8/2/2023 at 9:02 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Thanks you. Obviously DC doesn’t have real humans living in it. Better go to some ****ing diner in the middle of nowhere where nothing ever happens. 

I've noticed that Americans in general cannot discern between DC as the nations capitol and DC as a city where everyday Americans live and work. The closer people live, like MD or VA the more then get the difference but that doesn't last long. Hell even people in southern VA and Western Maryland have the same view of DC. 

I'm DC born and raised. I've never worked for the federal government. I don't have representation in said government either. It's pretty frustrating to have jack asses from 50 other states come here and talk all sorts of ****, and then fly home with a bunch of federal money for their states after ****ting all over my city. 

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The gop is now a power hungry facist party.

True.  

15 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The Dems are moving more towards the progressive direction.

Not nearly so much.  Yeah, here and there, they throw that wing a bone.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I'm DC born and raised. I've never worked for the federal government. I don't have representation in said government either. It's pretty frustrating to have jack asses from 50 other states come here and talk all sorts of ****, and then fly home with a bunch of federal money for their states after ****ting all over my city. 

Washington DC is a city of Northern charm and Southern efficiency.  

- JFK.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I think Manchin won’t run for reelection. Justice is leading by 20 points.

Joe the WV Dem is now a republican.  Parties change all the team. The gop is now a power hungry facist party.  The Dems are moving more towards the progressive direction.

As long as Joe keeps passing Biden’s judges, I can live with it. 

1 hour ago, Larry said:

True.  

Not nearly so much.  Yeah, here and there, they throw that wing a bone.  

Progressive is what animates the base.  I did say moving in that direction but didn’t say when they reach a progressive majority. It might take another decade, as younger voters become the majority.

10 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Progressive is what animates the base.

Yes, this is why Democrats past 5 nominees have been Obama, Obama, Hillary, Biden and Biden, while Bernie and Warren have been soundly crushed.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

• 2 months later...

‘Helped Put 5 Million Children Back Into Poverty’: Some Democrats Thrilled With Manchin Exit

U.S. Senator Joe Manchin’s announcement Thursday afternoon he will not run for re-election but instead will travel the country to “mobilize the middle and bring Americans together” is being seen by some as confirmation he will run for president as a third-party candidate, but some Democrats are thrilled he will be out of the Senate.

The West Virginia Democrat, one of the most-vulnerable and most unpopular in the Senate, has often been a challenge for Democrats for years.

Now, some strategists are worried about Democrats losing the Senate majority, while others are pointing out Manchin’s chances of being re-elected may not have been good, and would have forced Democrats to invest heavily in a seat they may not have been able to hold. West Virginia Republican Governor Jim Justice is running for that seat, and is expected to win it next year. In May, CNN ranked Manchin’s Senate seat the number one most likely to flip to the GOP.

To hold Senate in 2024, Dems must defend Montana, PLUS Ohio, PLUS Arizona & Wisconsin & Michigan & Pennsylvania, PLUS the White House. Or, if they stumble in just 1 of those, they must replace one by a GOP-held seat, so unseat [Rick] Scott or [Ted] Cruz.”

“This is as narrow a path to a Senate majority as it gets, but it exists, & Dems did defy trends in 2022: Hold onto all Biden states (certainly not a stretch based on the 2022/2023 cycles), & get 2 longtime incumbents to survive (tricky, but neither is a given at all for GOP),” he adds.