Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Quoting Rivera's statement:

Rivera never said that Dan stopped being human garbage. Rivera said that after he took over the team, he (Rivera) stopped the sexual harassment that was occurring by team employees. The employees have been dealt with. We have seen nothing to prove that wrong. The statement was Rivera washing his and his employees' hands of anything that comes from the top. The only top that's left is Dan and Jason Wright. Jason Wright is as squeaky clean as a politician, and Rivera isn't responsible for Dan.

Well also I think there’s something to be said bout football culture being different from the business/workplace culture. Which football culture even if the wins don’t show it is definitely a for Ron. 

I was digging around found this and this was BEFORE the FO stuff that happened in recent years.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/12/24/21035742/washington-redskins-rock-bottom-dan-snyder

This season, the adage that coaching the Redskins is among the worst jobs in the NFL, or sports, or, uh, maybe American society* [*Millionaire Edition], grew louder; one AFC assistant coach said it outright. ESPN analyst Todd McShay doubled down this month, saying that he would try to dissuade a friend from taking the post, prompting a furious response from Joe Theismann.

• Thanks 1

Congressional investigations into Daniel Snyder may be eroding support for a new Washington Commanders Stadium

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/investigations/commanders-stadium/washington-commanders-stadium-search-daniel-snyder-house-oversight-committee-investigation/65-6686248d-f163-4948-be81-149cf484b937

WASHINGTON — Congressional investigations into Daniel Snyder aren’t just causing legal problems for the Washington Commanders owner. They may be hurting his search for a new stadium too.

If there’s going to be a new Washington Commanders stadium complex it will need the blessing of city or county lawmakers who have final say over land use permits.

Now Snyder’s battles with the House Committee on Oversight and Reform are raising concerns among some elected leaders about going into business with him.

“I don't imagine anyone wants to do business with somebody they think is untrustworthy or unethical,” said Loudoun County Board of Supervisors Chair Phyllis Randall.

The Commanders are actively trying to buy land for a potential stadium site near Dulles, but Randall said she has yet to decide whether she would vote in favor of a stadium deal.

She said she’s closely monitoring the Oversight Committee’s investigation and Snyder’s refusal, thus far, to appear before it.

“I've been troubled by a lot of things that I've heard. And I've been troubled by, I think more what I haven't heard, which is any concrete answers from, from the team and from Mr. Snyder specifically,” Randall said. “I'm always a little concerned when people question whether or not they should even respond to congressional subpoenas.”

In Prince William County, where the Commanders have already reached a purchase agreement for another potential stadium site in Woodbridge, Supervisor Jeanine Lawson said she opposed a stadium agreement with Snyder from the start.

“I definitely don't want to come across as somebody that you know, has the mindset I told you so,” Lawson said. “But I had a strong feeling that the scandals were not going to go away. And if anything, they have they've escalated.”

Lawson said she believes Congress’s investigation and Snyder perceived refusal to cooperate with it has the potential to change “yes” votes to “no.”

“I don't want to speak for my other colleagues, but I would imagine it does,” Lawson said. “I mean, I don't know how it couldn't.”

The one place where county leaders reached by WUSA9 don’t seem as concerned about Snyder’s off-the-field issues is Prince George County, the site of the current, and many there hope, future Washington Commanders Stadium.

In a statement, Councilmember Mel Franklin said “I am very concerned about the allegations, but I see the Washington Commanders franchise as much bigger than one individual. I still support a Downtown Prince George's Sports, Entertainment, and Residential District...anchored by a new Commanders stadium. I believe that is in the best interests of the residents I serve.”

In D.C. there remain huge land use hurdles to a return to the old RFK site, but even District leaders are watching the Snyder saga play out in Congress.

In an email, Councilmember Elissa Silverman wrote “I am very troubled by the allegations and by Mr. Snyder’s ownership of Washington’s football team.”

WUSA9 reached out to the Washington Commanders for comment, but the team did not immediately respond.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Congressional investigations into Daniel Snyder may be eroding support for a new Washington Commanders Stadium

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/investigations/commanders-stadium/washington-commanders-stadium-search-daniel-snyder-house-oversight-committee-investigation/65-6686248d-f163-4948-be81-149cf484b937

WASHINGTON — Congressional investigations into Daniel Snyder aren’t just causing legal problems for the Washington Commanders owner. They may be hurting his search for a new stadium too.

If there’s going to be a new Washington Commanders stadium complex it will need the blessing of city or county lawmakers who have final say over land use permits.

Now Snyder’s battles with the House Committee on Oversight and Reform are raising concerns among some elected leaders about going into business with him.

“I don't imagine anyone wants to do business with somebody they think is untrustworthy or unethical,” said Loudoun County Board of Supervisors Chair Phyllis Randall.

The Commanders are actively trying to buy land for a potential stadium site near Dulles, but Randall said she has yet to decide whether she would vote in favor of a stadium deal.

She said she’s closely monitoring the Oversight Committee’s investigation and Snyder’s refusal, thus far, to appear before it.

“I've been troubled by a lot of things that I've heard. And I've been troubled by, I think more what I haven't heard, which is any concrete answers from, from the team and from Mr. Snyder specifically,” Randall said. “I'm always a little concerned when people question whether or not they should even respond to congressional subpoenas.”

In Prince William County, where the Commanders have already reached a purchase agreement for another potential stadium site in Woodbridge, Supervisor Jeanine Lawson said she opposed a stadium agreement with Snyder from the start.

“I definitely don't want to come across as somebody that you know, has the mindset I told you so,” Lawson said. “But I had a strong feeling that the scandals were not going to go away. And if anything, they have they've escalated.”

Lawson said she believes Congress’s investigation and Snyder perceived refusal to cooperate with it has the potential to change “yes” votes to “no.”

“I don't want to speak for my other colleagues, but I would imagine it does,” Lawson said. “I mean, I don't know how it couldn't.”

The one place where county leaders reached by WUSA9 don’t seem as concerned about Snyder’s off-the-field issues is Prince George County, the site of the current, and many there hope, future Washington Commanders Stadium.

In a statement, Councilmember Mel Franklin said “I am very concerned about the allegations, but I see the Washington Commanders franchise as much bigger than one individual. I still support a Downtown Prince George's Sports, Entertainment, and Residential District...anchored by a new Commanders stadium. I believe that is in the best interests of the residents I serve.”

In D.C. there remain huge land use hurdles to a return to the old RFK site, but even District leaders are watching the Snyder saga play out in Congress.

In an email, Councilmember Elissa Silverman wrote “I am very troubled by the allegations and by Mr. Snyder’s ownership of Washington’s football team.”

WUSA9 reached out to the Washington Commanders for comment, but the team did not immediately respond.

"While Rome burned Nero blissfully fiddled on his yacht off the coast of Corsica Island." Virgil

• Haha 5

Im not sure how he thinks dodging a subpoena isnt going to make things worse.  Hes absolutely living in his own bizarro land but even his thin support is eroding with these stunts.  It may take 5 years, but once he goes it will be bad.

Edited by Peregrine
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Im not sure how he thinks dodging a subpoena isnt going to make things worse.  Hes absolutely living in his own bizarro land but even his thin support is eroding with these stunts.  It may take 5 years, but once he goes it will be bad.

His behavior would never work for the middle class or lower. People at his wealth can snub their nose at the system for a long time before accountability occurs. 

On 6/25/2022 at 12:44 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't think it effects him at all.  I'm sure he's aware of what he wants to be aware of.  I know he wants to make sure he keeps his team.  I'm pretty sure he basically says "**** them and moves on with his billionaire lifestyle without losing sleep over any of it.  

There's a difference between being aware, which he probably is, and really caring that he's despised to the point it bothers him.  He lacks the self awareness for the latter.  

I'm absolutely positive he thinks, "They are all out to get me.  It's not my fault.  I did nothing wrong.  It's the Post's agenda.  It's the minority owner's slander.  It's Vinny.  It's Bruce.  It's not me.  I'm getting attacked for no reason.  So I will defend myself.  But it's not my fault."

And when you have somebody who has that mindset, and is a Billionaire, I just find it hard to believe he is really suffering or enduring any emotional turmoil of it.  

Note, this is a criticism of Dan, not a defense.  I think he has so much arrogance and so little self awareness that while he might be mad about it, he thinks he's completely innocent, and therefore he's just sending his minions to defend him.  

Seems pretty clear to me that Snyder is sensitive to the criticism.  We see him respond (mostly through is lawyers) constantly throughout his ownership, often referring to them as "hit pieces".  If he didn't care why would he keep responding?  One of the things he likes the most about owning the team is it allows him to hang with Tom Cruse, Mathew McConaughey and pretend the cool kids are his friends.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

On 6/27/2022 at 4:46 PM, Conn said:

The best thing would be for Congress to gather up all the stuff happening right now—the Raiders misconduct, Snyder, the Texans lawsuit in relation to enabling Watson—and throw it all together, threaten the NFL’s antitrust exemption for real change. It’s all they can really do, but those 3 owners above are already ~10% of the league involved openly in gross bull****. Obviously there’s a lot more under the surface. 

The next best outcome is just the constant media pressure creating such a rising tide of public sentiment and advertiser apprehension that the math eventually tells the NFL it’s time to vote out Snyder—similar to what happened with the name change. 

Congress will never come close to getting the votes to remove the anti-trust exemption.  So no Congress can't do anything directly.  However your 2nd paragraph is exactly what is happening.  What Congress is doing, well half of the committee anyway as the other half wanted talk about fentanyl,  is putting yet more pressure on the league to do something about. That is what this, the constant Post articles etc are all about. To put pressure on the league until they finally have had enough. I honestly think they are approaching that point, that's why we need more stories to come out and the pressure to continue.  

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Congress will never come close to getting the votes to remove the anti-trust exemption.  So no Congress can't do anything directly.  However your 2nd paragraph is exactly what is happening.  What Congress is doing, well half of the committee anyway as the other half wanted talk about fentanyl,  is putting yet more pressure on the league to do something about. That is what this, the constant Post articles etc are all about. To put pressure on the league until they finally have had enough. I honestly think they are approaching that point, that's why we need more stories to come out and the pressure to continue.  

This is my take, too.  I don't doubt that other owners have skeletons in their closet.  But hopefully the case with Dan is its nonstop and constant.  And if we get more stories of legislators who supposedly won't do business with him for the stadium -- maybe we got lucky and the owners decide Dan is a problem in ways that are unique to him and hurts the overall business of the NFL.   

Jerry Jones for example has issues -- but purely on the business front he's a juggernaut let alone a liability.  Jerry can get a stadium.  Jerry's team brings a lot of money to the NFL -- national fans wants to watch Dallas sadly, they are a big time national draw -- the Commanders sadly have become irrelevant on that front.    Dallas has if anything growing appeal right now.  The Commanders might be the most dying franchise in sports right now as to the before versus now dynamic.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Dan Snyder seems to think he won’t be held accountable. Congress should prove him wrong.

Commanders owner Daniel Snyder declined two invitations to testify before the House Committee on Oversight and Reform, which is investigating the team’s toxic workplace culture. And, according to a spokesperson for the committee, he has so far refused to accept service of a subpoena to be deposed. That Mr. Snyder apparently thinks he doesn’t have to answer for his actions shouldn’t come as a big surprise since the National Football League has pretty much given him carte blanche. But Mr. Snyder might finally have met his match with a congressional committee that — in contrast to the NFL — actually seems to take seriously allegations of sexual harassment.

The committee, chaired by Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney (D-N.Y.), last week released a 29-page memorandum detailing what it has learned since its launch last fall of a probe into the allegations of an abusive work environment at the Washington football team and how the NFL handled the allegations. The picture that is painted is not pretty. Even though the Commanders and the NFL had professed a commitment to an independent and rigorous look at allegations of sexual harassment, bullying and intimidation, evidence showed Mr. Snyder had launched a shadow investigation in an apparent bid to discredit his accusers.

Among those targeted by lawyers for Mr. Snyder who compiled a 100-slide dossier, according to the committee, were journalists — including Post reporters who first disclosed allegations from women who said they were victimized by the team’s executives — attorneys and employees. The committee outlined how Mr. Snyder’s representatives sent private investigators to accusers’ homes to intimidate them or offer them hush money. Complicit in the team’s attempted coverup was the NFL, which had promised to get to the bottom of things but entered into a common-interest agreement with the team that obstructed the investigation.

That the attorney who conducted the investigation was instructed not to produce a written report was the final straw, making it easy for the NFL to let Mr. Snyder off with a fine. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, unlike Mr. Snyder, agreed to testify before the committee but ended up deflecting — rather than answering — the questions. Mr. Goodell acknowledged, for example, that Mr. Snyder apparently did not inform the league in 2009 of an allegation of sexual harassment and assault made against the owner but didn’t address whether this was a violation of the league’s code of conduct. (Most seem to think it was.) His argument that a written report would violate the privacy of accusers overlooked the fact that many of them have openly called for a public report and that those who wish to remain anonymous could do so with simple redactions.

The committee said it will not be deterred in getting Mr. Snyder to sit for questioning. No doubt he is thinking that if he delays and drags out the process, Republicans who have been openly scornful of the investigation will take control of the House, and that will be end of the probe. We hope that the committee moves quickly and that a separate investigation by the NFL into new allegations directly involving Mr. Snyder is concluded — and that this time, there will be a public report of its findings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/06/30/commanders-dan-snyder-accountable-congress/

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Seems pretty clear to me that Snyder is sensitive to the criticism.  We see him respond (mostly through is lawyers) constantly throughout his ownership, often referring to them as "hit pieces".  If he didn't care why would he keep responding?  One of the things he likes the most about owning the team is it allows him to hang with Tom Cruse, Mathew McConaughey and pretend the cool kids are his friends.  

There's a difference between being sensitive to it, and really having it effect him.  I don't think it effects him because he's too arrogant and self-unaware to let it bother him.  He might be angry about it, but he also thinks its always somebody else's fault.  So he defends himself through his lawyers.  

I doubt it's keeping him up at night.  Does he realize the pile of crap he is in right now?  Yeah, I'm sure he does.  Does he think there's any chance he is going to lose the team?  I don't think so.  Does he feel attacked?  I'm sure.  

Ultimately, I don't think he's suffering through it.  He just self-isolates with people who will tell him it's not his fault, defend himself and move-on.  

• Thumb up 1

On 6/27/2022 at 4:46 PM, Conn said:

The best thing would be for Congress to gather up all the stuff happening right now—the Raiders misconduct, Snyder, the Texans lawsuit in relation to enabling Watson—and throw it all together, threaten the NFL’s antitrust exemption for real change. It’s all they can really do, but those 3 owners above are already ~10% of the league involved openly in gross bull****. Obviously there’s a lot more under the surface. 

The next best outcome is just the constant media pressure creating such a rising tide of public sentiment and advertiser apprehension that the math eventually tells the NFL it’s time to vote out Snyder—similar to what happened with the name change. 

This is kindof what Howard Gutman said on Sheehan's podcast a while ago.  

If the oversight committee was interested in solving the problem, they would have requested appearances from multiple teams, multiple leagues, and multiple industries and held far-reaching hearings with the intent of crafting legislation to actually solve the problems.  These would include the return policies of security deposits, workplace environment, and other such things.  

The Commanders would be a central example of what NOT to do.  They could have even brought in some organization which could have been an example of what TO do.  (If one exists.)  

And, then, all of a sudden, this is a congressional matter.  Because you could say there is a financial impact for all the sports based on their tax status and anti-trust exemptions.  

The thing is, Congress never went that route, and at some point, you have to ask your self why?  Why did they choose to ONLY single out the Commanders and Dan?  Surely they could have brought Jerry, Al Davis' kid, the Haslams, the owner of the Dolphins and a few others in as well which are all examples, in some way, of the pervasive misconduct within the NFL.  And then they could have really made Roger squirm.  

But that seemingly hasn't been the agenda.  The agenda has been very selective at attacking Dan.  I have 3 conflicting views on this, which makes me crazy:

1) I don't care because it's Dan, and screw him. 

2) I don't quite understand what the objective of the committee is, and how they are going to achieve it. (I still think this whole thing is being puppeteered by Lisa Banks for the purposes of a civil suit.)

3) If it's not going to remove him, then what's the point?