Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

As an aside, I personally wouldn’t be surprised if we made an unexpected coaching staff move at some point in February after the rebrand date.

I don't disagree, but it wouldn't be one of the "big 3." Clearly Ron is staying for at least one more year.  If they were going to replace Jack, they would have done it already, with Fangio being the most logical upgrade candidate.  And if they were going to replace Turner, I think they would have done that already, though I'm not sure who the obvious upgrade candidate would be.  Jay Gruden and Ben McAdoo were the finalists in Carolina.  Color me not terribly impressed by that list, and they hired McAdoo.  (Frankly, between the two, I might have hired Jay as OC. I think I'm softening on my criticism of Jay.  Which I do find somewhat remarkable...)

The DL coach might be up for grabs, but again, I'm not sure who they would get, or who Ron wants. There was something off with the DL, and if they are bringing the same group of players back, then a new voice in the room might be a good thing. 

There are a bunch of coaches waiting to see if they have jobs, or are on the streets because of the number of HC openings. So it's really possible. I think some of the HC things needs to get worked out first before the assistants all get lined up.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It's speculation. But look at his role as is. Look at him on the sidelines on gameday and his involvement with the actual coaching aspect from GAME DAY point of view.

I thought when he was hired with the structure as it is that the ultimate plan was for him to go to the FO afterwards. I haven't changed my perspective. It's probably strengthened.

Makes sense from what I've seen, I just haven't seen too much and don't want to extrapolate from a small sample size and especially because I don't know WTF I'm looking at.  Glad you're on this board.

44 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And if they were going to replace Turner, I think they would have done that already, though I'm not sure who the obvious upgrade candidate would be. 

Agreed on all points, the Turner situation was interesting. The random picture linked to LV, and then the tenuous links to LV if Harbaugh were to go there. Looks like LV going in a different direction to those rumors anyway so potentially moot now....

I will be shocked if Rivera moves to the front office once his coaching is done. We have over 22 years of Dan history. When he gives control, he takes it back the next tim e around.

Marty - He gave control.

Steve - He and his puppet Vinnie made the key decisions

Joe - He let Joe make his moves but he did interfere a little

Jim - Vinnie was the front but Dan was behind the scenes

Mike - He got to make key moves, even with Bruce there. Dan did interfere; especially when it came to QB. 

Jay - Bruce was the front man, but Dan still lurked behind the scenes. Haskins was a prime example.

Ron - Ron got unprecedented control, where he even got to pick his gm crew.

Ron's tenure Will eventually end. I don't see him bumping Ron to front office. Dan will act like he always has and think he can do things and doesn't need Ron or his hires around. It would not surprise me,if Dan exerts pressure on the QB choice this year. Dan will want to go back to him having a front man. His new Vinnie/ Bruce but behind the cenes; Dan will play a key role. Dan will either pick The #1 pick or heavily influence pick. He will play a role, in trying to get big free agents.

We have seen this pattern before and post Ron, we will see it again.

Edited by Rdskns2000
  • Like 1

I just don't see Rivera moving up to an FO job because I don't see why he'd want it. He's a football player, been a head coach, got to a Super Bowl.... I think coaching in a Super Bowl and winning it are still his goals. Yeah, he's not firebreathing on the sidelines, but I don't think that's a good mark for whether a coach wants to go into the FO and wear a suit. After dealing with this mess of a team, I'd consider it a blessing to not have the job of cleaning up off-the-field problems.

10 hours ago, FrFan said:

Until some more powerful people chime in, and the chairperson is a woman. I might be wrong but I still got my hopes up about this. The NFL have made anything possible to hide the truth in order to protect danny boy they can't escape this.

I understand everyones hope that this will lead to DS being forced out, and I agree. However, the NFL has circled the wagons here.

As loathsome as DS is, even to his fellow owners, they are protecting him.

I see this meeting on the 3rd as a dog and pony show... The NFL will ignore this story until it dies on the vine...

Hope I'm wrong.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I just don't see Rivera moving up to an FO job because I don't see why he'd want it. He's a football player, been a head coach, got to a Super Bowl.... I think coaching in a Super Bowl and winning it are still his goals. Yeah, he's not firebreathing on the sidelines, but I don't think that's a good mark for whether a coach wants to go into the FO and wear a suit. After dealing with this mess of a team, I'd consider it a blessing to not have the job of cleaning up off-the-field problems.

If you think that’s my full reasoning for thinking he’d go to the FO you likely haven’t read many of my posts.

Do you really think I’d hypothesize that the plan (not necessarily what is going to happen) is for Ron to join the FO post coaching tenure is only due to the sideline stuff? When do I ever think that shallow about anything? 

If anything I am a total overthinker about… everything.

Edited by KDawg

8 minutes ago, shemp nixon said:

I understand everyones hope that this will lead to DS being forced out, and I agree. However, the NFL has circled the wagons here.

As loathsome as DS is, even to his fellow owners, they are protecting him.

I see this meeting on the 3rd as a dog and pony show... The NFL will ignore this story until it dies on the vine...

Hope I'm wrong.

The owners must be terrified of what Dan Snyder could expose about the other owners or the NFL in general  on the way out, because you know he would go scorched earth on them.  Nothing would be off limits and he would try and take as many down with him as he could.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I will be shocked if Rivera moves to the front office once his coaching is done. We have over 22 years of Dan history. When he gives control, he takes it back the next tim e around.

Marty - He gave control.

Steve - He and his puppet Vinnie made the key decisions

Joe - He let Joe make his moves but he did interfere a little

Jim - Vinnie was the front but Dan was behind the scenes

Mike - He got to make key moves, even with Bruce there. Dan did interfere; especially when it came to QB. 

Jay - Bruce was the front man, but Dan still lurked behind the scenes. Haskins was a prime example.

Ron - Ron got unprecedented control, where he even got to pick his gm crew.

Ron's tenure Will eventually end. I don't see him bumping Ron to front office. Dan will act like he always has and think he can do things and doesn't need Ron or his hires around. It would not surprise me,if Dan exerts pressure on the QB choice this year. Dan will want to go back to him having a front man. His new Vinnie/ Bruce but behind the cenes; Dan will play a key role. Dan will either pick The #1 pick or heavily influence pick. He will play a role, in trying to get big free agents.

We have seen this pattern before and post Ron, we will see it again.

I tend to agree with this take.

Now...I think Dan will be on his absolute best behavior...until the stadium is finalized and construction well underway.  Once that huge hurdle is cleared, I truly think Hell itself is going to open up.  

Dan will have a venue that won't need true Redskins fans to show up. The new entertainment complex will attract the rich, casual fan of the "experience" of being at a game.  He won't give a hoot if it's fans of our team or the opposing team.  Money is money.   Armed with a new stadium complex and zero opposition from other NFL owners as far as him getting away with his heinous acts, Dan's ego will be fully unleashed and he'll run the team according to his every single fancy.  

We ain't seen nothing yet.  I honestly believe this is the way it's going to unfold.  🤮

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If you think that’s my full reasoning for thinking he’d go to the FO you likely haven’t read many of my posts.

Do you really think I’d hypothesize that the plan (not necessarily what is going to happen) is for Ron to join the FO post coaching tenure is only due to the sideline stuff? When do I ever think that shallow about anything? 

If anything I am a total overthinker about… everything.

The other thoughts I recall you posting about Ron going to the FO is that he brought in his over-the-hill FO group and that will quietly do the dirty work now, then move on to sipping ****tails on Caribbean islands. What else makes you think Ron has his sights set on an FO job, and why would he be put it all on the line for it here instead of waiting for a different opportunity at a better run team?

12 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

The other thoughts I recall you posting about Ron going to the FO is that he brought in his over-the-hill FO group and that will quietly do the dirty work now, then move on to sipping ****tails on Caribbean islands. What else makes you think Ron has his sights set on an FO job, and why would he be put it all on the line for it here instead of waiting for a different opportunity at a better run team?

I… what?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I… what?

You were saying that Hurney and Mayhew were friends of Ron, he brought them here to set the FO straight, and that both can move on when Ron wants to move into the FO. Or am I confusing your posts with someone else's?

Either way, Washington is still the worst place to start an FO career. What makes you think Ron would want to start his FO career here?

Edited by NickyJ

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

You were saying that Hurney and Mayhew were friends of Ron, he brought them here to set the FO straight, and that both can move on when Ron wants to move into the FO. Or am I confusing your posts with someone else's?

Either way, Washington is still the worst place to start an FO career. What makes you think Ron would want to start his FO career here?

The Marty's were brought here because Ron trusts them. Very FO like move for a guy to bring in his people to run the personnel side.

Further, I never said they would step aside that I remember. My hypothesis is that Ron steps into the President of Football Operations role IF he gets that far. They would continue to be a part of the organization with the structure not changing, just the titles.

Your last question can be answered with a similar question: Why would Ron want to revitalize his coaching career here?

56 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The Marty's were brought here because Ron trusts them. Very FO like move for a guy to bring in his people to run the personnel side.

Further, I never said they would step aside that I remember. My hypothesis is that Ron steps into the President of Football Operations role IF he gets that far. They would continue to be a part of the organization with the structure not changing, just the titles.

Your last question can be answered with a similar question: Why would Ron want to revitalize his coaching career here?

He got the control he was seeking. After being fired; he wanted control. The Redskins were the only job available that year; where he could get the control he craved.

Just now, Rdskns2000 said:

He got the control he was seeking. After being fired; he wanted control. The Redskins were the only job available that year; where he could get the control he craved.

Very good. Agreed. Now apply that answer to the question about going to the FO. With the added caveat of being less involved in the on-field day to day. 

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Ron - Ron got unprecedented control,

Correct, there is you counter argument.

Dan knows we have gone down the toilet as far as you can go before disappearing. Ron gives Danny Boys empire credibility. Ron is the thread that keeps the rebrand and all on/off field **** remotely plausible.

41 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I don't think it's fair to paint it that way.  A better way to put it was that in order for him to work here, he wanted control.  There is no evidence that suggests he was on the hunt for power.  Anyone worth their salt is going to make that demand of Dan Snyder.  

• Like 1

The Giants ownership acknowledged their issues and previous mistakes, hired someone from a successful organization to be their GM and he’s identified a coach that will help their team succeed. I’m super ****in jealous. This is the correct way to build a team in my opinion. Washington keeps doing the same **** over and over and over and expecting different results. Schottenheimer, Gibbs 2.0, Shanahan, and now Rivera. It’s such a lazy approach and that’s why it never works for them. I wonder when Snyder’s dumbass is gonna break the trend. His coaching cycles have been the same. Retread that’s in way over their head like Rivera and Shanahan or rookie that’s in way over their head like Jay Gruden and Jim Zorn. Idiot either gives you all the control or none

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

Very good. Agreed. Now apply that answer to the question about going to the FO. With the added caveat of being less involved in the on-field day to day. 

As I said, Ron may have that long term goal but I see Synder completely severing ties when Ron’s era ends and undoing all the changes Ron made.

11 hours ago, Zim489 said:

The Giants ownership acknowledged their issues and previous mistakes, hired someone from a successful organization to be their GM and he’s identified a coach that will help their team succeed. I’m super ****in jealous. This is the correct way to build a team in my opinion. Washington keeps doing the same **** over and over and over and expecting different results. Schottenheimer, Gibbs 2.0, Shanahan, and now Rivera. It’s such a lazy approach and that’s why it never works for them. I wonder when Snyder’s dumbass is gonna break the trend. His coaching cycles have been the same. Retread that’s in way over their head like Rivera and Shanahan or rookie that’s in way over their head like Jay Gruden and Jim Zorn. Idiot either gives you all the control or none

Bills fans aren't big fans of Dabol. We'll see how it plays out, but they're excited if Dorsey becomes OC. 

I have zero problems, so to speak, with this management team. There is a lot of experience, and it seems like a lot of voices are heard.

I think we're desperate sometimes for immediate results, and while Ron Rivera has not produced immediate results here in Washington, he has contributed to an improved culture. Zooming out and looking at where this team is at people will understand in the future how difficult the time it was. There is something to be said for the accomplishments of this staff during the WFT era.

Do I love some of the picks in the draft? No. But, I understand the rationale behind the picks and appreciate why the selections were made. I do think the 2021 draft has been underwhelming, however the staff does deserve some credit as it pertains to the development of this team up to this point. I'm holding our hope on the 2021 draft because it was all projection guys. 

2022 is a big year for this franchise. Ron is here for 5 minimum and likely closer to 10 than 4 years at the helm. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Silvernon said:

I have zero problems, so to speak, with this management team. There is a lot of experience, and it seems like a lot of voices are heard.

I think we're desperate sometimes for immediate results, and while Ron Rivera has not produced immediate results here in Washington, he has contributed to an improved culture. Zooming out and looking at where this team is at people will understand in the future how difficult the time it was. There is something to be said for the accomplishments of this staff during the WFT era.

Do I love some of the picks in the draft? No. But, I understand the rationale behind the picks and appreciate why the selections were made. I do think the 2021 draft has been underwhelming, however the staff does deserve some credit as it pertains to the development of this team up to this point. I'm holding our hope on the 2021 draft because it was all projection guys. 

2022 is a big year for this franchise. Ron is here for 5 minimum and likely closer to 10 than 4 years at the helm. 

Ron is most likely fired either this year or next; just like all coaches besides Joe and Steve. Steve quit.