Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Secretly Hoping 2020 Season Canceled???

Renegade7

Do you want 2020 Redskins season is canceled???  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want 2020 Redskins season canceled?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • Too Conflicted to answer, pass
    • Too Early to Answer, ask me later

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Pretty sure nobody here is going to be disappointed. They’re NFL fans, why would they be disappointed about a season happening? That’s silly. Come the **** on. 

you DO realize it IS possible to both be an NFL fan wanting a season to happen, AND being a realist and knowing in the back of your mind that a full season isn’t realistic. You DO realize this, right? 

YeS i dO realize this..it just sounds LiKe some FolKs will be upset if the season happens..I guees more Washington faNs than AnYthing 

On 7/27/2020 at 11:07 PM, bakedtater1 said:

YeS i dO realize this..it just sounds LiKe some FolKs will be upset if the season happens..I guees more Washington faNs than AnYthing 

I care more about saving lives then playing football.  As OP, I expected this post, surprised it took this long.

Saying ill be upset is not fair, they aren't taking a bubble approach which could lead to FedEx being a hot spot source.

This is the stadium, so its expected for these conversation to stay focused on football.  Im game,, so how do you propose having this conversation without calling out my fanhood?

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I care more about saving lives then playing football.  As OP, I expected this post, surprised it took this long.

Saying ill be upset is not fair, they aren't taking a bubble approach which could lead to FedEx being a hot spot source.

This is the stadium, so its expected for these conversation to stay focused on football.  Im game,, so how do you propose having this conversation without calling out my fanhood?

Yeah its not fair for us who want to watch the development of haskins shaky o line or not..you want the season cancelled so the team can take advantage..I would support the nfl canceling the season to slow this disease down..it sounds like some Washington fans would be upset if the season played on. That's there opinion. I would not be excited for the season to be canceled so the team can take advantage. If the season is canceled the last thing on my mind is the benefits of a canceled season..only way there gonna fix that o line is by actually playing to see what adjustments needs made.

4 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Yeah its not fair for us who want to watch the development of haskins shaky o line or not..you want the season cancelled so the team can take advantage..I would support the nfl canceling the season to slow this disease down..it sounds like some Washington fans would be upset if the season played on. That's there opinion. I would not be excited for the season to be canceled so the team can take advantage. If the season is canceled the last thing on my mind is the benefits of a canceled season..only way there gonna fix that o line is by actually playing to see what adjustments needs made.

I see.

So let's clarify, I don't believe anyone that's a fan of this team doesn't want to see Haskins develop. 

But at what cost?  It is hard to have this conversation in a vacuum, so ya, looking for the positives on a canceled season is looking for silver lining in the inevitable. I've mentioned this before, a preemptive strike on reality, I typically don't do this with the team thats meant to distract me from doing that in life sometimes, but here we are, me adjusting as a fan.

And no, I don't believe the only way the oline can get better is to play, I've seen them try that before. They need better players on the line and everyone knows it.

I've gotten so much crap for not wanting my team to lose for higher draft picks over the years, here's the first time I'm openly admiting to prioritizing the future over the present with this team.  Is it the way I'm doing it or the context?

38 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I see.

So let's clarify, I don't believe anyone that's a fan of this team doesn't want to see Haskins develop. 

But at what cost?  It is hard to have this conversation in a vacuum, so ya, looking for the positives on a canceled season is looking for silver lining in the inevitable. I've mentioned this before, a preemptive strike on reality, I typically don't do this with the team thats meant to distract me from doing that in life sometimes, but here we are, me adjusting as a fan.

And no, I don't believe the only way the oline can get better is to play, I've seen them try that before. They need better players on the line and everyone knows it.

I've gotten so much crap for not wanting my team to lose for higher draft picks over the years, here's the first time I'm openly admiting to prioritizing the future over the present with this team.  Is it the way I'm doing it or the context?

Goooo Washington Football Team!! 🙎‍♂️

Since fans don't generally concern themselves with the health and welfare of the players, it's easy for many to ignore COVID-19 as far as entertainment goes.

"You're an entertainer, entertain me"

In normal years, outside of torn ACLs and whatnot, the players' health is a long-term issue and something a player must make personal choices about. Many people think Jordan Reed should retire for his own good, but what if he was healthy and personally worried about the virus?

The new reality is that the coronavirus can take lives in a matter of weeks. Football is a game, the global pandemic is not. I would be disappointed as a fan if the season were to be cancelled, but player safety is just as important as the safety of me and my family. I absolutely expect players to take the same approach and have a similar outlook.

10 hours ago, tibbidoe said:

Since fans don't generally concern themselves with the health and welfare of the players, it's easy for many to ignore COVID-19 as far as entertainment goes.

"You're an entertainer, entertain me"

In normal years, outside of torn ACLs and whatnot, the players' health is a long-term issue and something a player must make personal choices about. Many people think Jordan Reed should retire for his own good, but what if he was healthy and personally worried about the virus?

The new reality is that the coronavirus can take lives in a matter of weeks. Football is a game, the global pandemic is not. I would be disappointed as a fan if the season were to be cancelled, but player safety is just as important as the safety of me and my family. I absolutely expect players to take the same approach and have a similar outlook.

Things are only safer for the players if they DON’T play if they ALSO follow all the guidelines and protocols on an individual basis. That’s what is missed in this discussion time and again. 

Yes, if you have two choices: One is play the season with as many protocols in place as possible. And the other choice is to NOT play the season and for all players to quarantine at home—- then yes, not playing is safer for the players. 

But the reality is that these are young, healthy men. Most of them are unlikely to be quarantining at home if the season is nixed. As a matter of fact, if there is no season, no peer pressure to not break the rules, no financial ramifications for missing games or causing the league to shutdown, then it likely INCREASES the chances players will choose to participate in riskier behavior. 

Sure, during a football game you are close to other people and can’t socially distance. However, everything we know about this virus is that it is most often transmitted from sustained close contact. The kind you experience at a birthday party, church service, inside a nightclub, etc. If there is no football season but players engage in those activities then there is nothing “safer” about that at all. You can make the argument that by working in a highly regimented world with massive protocols and daily testing is even SAFER for players than if they were to go about their normal business. 

It’s the same with college football. People

gasp about how “irresponsible” it will be to put athletes in harm’s way in order to play football. But uh, have you ever met a college student? Have you ever been to college? Did you turn on the TV during the protests? That age group IS gathering. Many times by necessity. More often by choice. House parties and things like that are still happening. And if there is on campus activity this semester they can distance in the classrooms and such all the want, but you would be the most naive person in the world to think that on Friday night at any campus in the country that 18-22 year old people are going to properly socially distance. 

So being involved in something like a football team where you are being tested constantly and the pressure is on to NOT be the one that brings it down can actually be a good thing. 

@kleese

I see where you coming from, but some NFL contracts put players on notice about doing risky behavior like playing pickup basketball in the offseason.

For example:

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/08/kansas-city-chiefs-qb-patrick-mahomes-contract-prohibits-physical-activities-basketball-baseball-jet-skiing/

NFL has the type of leverage to possibly include interpretations or direct language "going out like you are invincible and catching COVID" for certain period agreed to with NFLPA, if for any reason the fear of being symptomatic, damaging their lunges permanently, and ending their career.  Would it void it if each franchise specifically warned they would look at language of current contracts to see how to fit this pandemic into it with NFLPA approval? 

I'll be honest, they should be able to if they can tell them they can't play any sport except football in some of these contracts.

But it really comes back to folks that have to help facilitate these games even they don't want to because that's their job.  That don't have the near unlimited resources and health coverage of NFL players.  Or us fans who definitely don't and will be symptomatic.

I enjoyed watching some basketball yesterday, NBA is doing best it can to mitigate these risks, NFL is choosing to accept them.  If NFL would choose go mitigate these risks anywhere near as close as NBA is trying to, id feel differently.  

As much as I don't want this to be a COVID thread, I'll bring it back to something in my OP and touched in later:  at rate we are going the season won't finish even if it starts, and we have a bad recent history of season ending injuries.  Is it worth it? Are we really that impatient as a fan base?

33 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@kleese

at rate we are going the season won't finish even if it starts

I can’t see a season happening without competitive balance going to oblivion.

Every team in the league will know that the season has virtually no chance of finishing. Every bad team will have MAXIMUM incentive to blow their first couple of games, knowing once the league shuts down they can lock up a great draft pic w/o suffering a whole season of losing.

Unless you’re a Chip contender, we may see tanking the likes of which no sport has ever seen. I’m not sure even a Zombie can stomach a product of that poor quality.

On a side note, several teams will likely be able to claim undefeated seasons. It comes with a massive *, but hey, you did it.

12 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Just cancel this year and next and let us have the 2nd pick in the draft both years. Penei Sewell 2021 and Derek Stingley 2022. Just kidding. I'd really like some football now please. 

I'd choose getting Sewell and Stingley even if it meant I had to wait til 2022 for football.  Two elite prospects at premium positions that are also positions of need.

Not that I want football to be cancelled, but I don't want a season that has teams randomly wiped out at various points throughout the year (mlb's Cardinals are now the 3rd team in a week to get hit, and it also effects their opponents), games cancelled out of the blue, and superstars lost for multiple games and/or season due to covid.  I think that will lead to a season that is more frustrating than enjoyable.

22 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Just cancel this year and next and let us have the 2nd pick in the draft both years. Penei Sewell 2021 and Derek Stingley 2022. Just kidding. I'd really like some football now please. 

If the NFL plays no games this year, I don't think the 2021 draft position will be solely determined by the 2019 standings.  I think they NFL will use some sort of weighted lottery to determine the draft position.      The Bengals finished #1 in 2019, they would get so many balls.  Then the Skins and so on.   

4 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If the NFL plays no games this year, I don't think the 2021 draft position will be solely determined by the 2019 standings.  I think they NFL will use some sort of weighted lottery to determine the draft position.      The Bengals finished #1 in 2019, they would get so many balls.  Then the Skins and so on.   

I agree. I think it would follow the process used in the supplement draft which breaks the teams up into 3 lots based on draft position. There is then a draw within each lot to determine each exact position. 

So, effectively we’d be in a the first lot with says the others who picked 1-10 this year. We’d be guaranteed a top ten pick but it could be in any of those slots.

Next lot is say 11-21, then get redrawn. Final lot 22-32. They get redrawn.

Seems a good way to retain an element of weighting into the process.

6 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I agree. I think it would follow the process used in the supplement draft which breaks the teams up into 3 lots based on draft position. There is then a draw within each lot to determine each exact position. 

So, effectively we’d be in a the first lot with says the others who picked 1-10 this year. We’d be guaranteed a top ten pick but it could be in any of those slots.

Next lot is say 11-21, then get redrawn. Final lot 22-32. They get redrawn.

Seems a good way to retain an element of weighting into the process.

Even this is likely to give us a much higher draft pick than I think we'd get this year. On average, let's say we would pick at 5 if you ran that lotto 10 times. Ron Rivera has never won less than 6 games with any team, I don't believe. And this DL should be nasty. And our offense has to be better than last year. I think we win 6-7 games if there is a season. 

Edit: Also, the NFL has 32 teams. If it were me, and I think this seems like a pretty likely way that they might run a lotto, I would break the lotto into quartiles. The worst 8 teams have an even shot at the top 8 picks, the second worst 8 pick 9-16, etc. 

On 8/1/2020 at 7:30 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

If they are planning on separating groups throughout all practices and training camp, and split it to no more than 20 at a time, then how are they going to deal with halftime of games this year, when you have about 50 guys heading into the locker room at the same time ?

No halftime in the locker room..

I don't want to lose an entire year of Chase Young's career. If he's as good as billed, he could be the kind of guy that challenges the record for most career sacks. Let's see some football. 

But, I hope the entire OL has false positive tests for Covid, and that we win 3 games and draft Sewell. 

Archived