Sign in to follow this  
Renegade7

Secretly Hoping 2020 Season Canceled???

Do you want 2020 Redskins season is canceled???  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want 2020 Redskins season canceled?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • Too Conflicted to answer, pass
    • Too Early to Answer, ask me later

Posted (edited)

This is NOT a coronavirus thread, this is strictly about the possible advantages to a canceled 2020 season for the Redskins.

There are plenty of COVID threads in the tailgate, this Stadium one is Redskins related:

Again, just want to talk football outloud here and why I'm secretly hoping the 2020 Redskins season is canceled.

Here are a couple reasons or questions I have:

1. Our left side of our O-Line is a liability with open competition. That's Haskins blind-side, he's 23 and developing.  Either you can protect him or you can't. What are we risking if this isn't a playoff team anyway?

2. What will be our draft position for 2021?  Will it be another #2 Pick based on 2020 Draft Order?

3. I likely won't be able to go to a game anyway.  Not listing health concerns here, that's for other threads.  They might not let me in, I wouldn't want to get season tickets right now just to see how they'd pay me back (or not).

4. They may cancel the season right in the middle of it, which would suck so bad if we were good out of nowhere.  This could have salary implications for any pending free agents, and a hot-mess if we talking whether the league year is counted or not.

5. We have a lot of cap space, and potential canceled season could lead to a salary cap casualty spree league-wide.  Whenever free agency does open up in 2021, we'll be in a position to fill way more holes on offense that we couldn't this offseason despite really trying.

Again, I'm just talking as a fan here. If we don't cancel the season, ill support what the players want to do concerning playing or not.  That's out of my control anyway, so I may have my opinions here, but I'm not going to root for the season to be canceled nor demand they get out there. They can't win a ring if they stay home, full-stop.  

Looking for silver-lining here, and my concern for Haskins safety in what's likely going to be a bad year anyway. I believe Haskins will ball out, but I'm going to have a limit to seeing him getting teed off on while defense keeps score close in a silent stadium. It's going to be familiar and different at the same time if we do play this year, there are disadvantages that are football related as well.

Hoping for the best, please keep it civil. Private poll.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Confused 1

Man, for my sanity I’m really hoping it’s not canceled. I’m such a diehard fan, and the long offseason kills me enough as it is, I’d be ruined if there’s no season. although if there isn’t a season, i guess In the fall I’d just end up doing what i normally do to occupy myself in offseason anyway, so....

however....IF there’s no NFL season, then obviously that would mean there’s no college football season either, and while yes, i think we’d be given #2 pick in that event...how would teams know who to draft? Like....what do we go off of, for the 2021 nfl draft, tape from the 2019 college football season? Who would be available to be drafted, that sorta stuff. 

it’s all going to be a mess whatever way you slice it, so i honestly have zero clue what the right thing to do is. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

@Cooleyfan1993

That's good point in who to draft.

We should trade down in that scenario to increase our chances and limit damage from being wrong.

Young was the right choice, but he was obvious.

I'd rather play, too, just won't be right if Haskins gets hurt and/or leading league in sacks. If that's exactly what happens, I won't call for season canceled just to protect him.  This is football, it is what it is. 

I will call the team out for knowing this was a potential problem if it gets bad and they don't have an answer for what to do about or to cut it down. It's Rivera's turn to try to develop him now, a whole notha year to focus on mechanics and avoid serious injury wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.

Edited by Renegade7

The simple, obvious answer:

No.

I'd rather not wait another year and a half for football.

• Like 2

That would ****ing suck...I only watch t.v from sept 1 to Feb 3...but I'm kinda super drunk.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

From simply a player development standpoint, no.  We have one of the youngest teams in the league, they need game experience to get better.  Plus with a whole new playbook and coaching staff.  I think it makes sense to want to play - aside from the obvious of us all wanting to watch football.

Edited by abdcskins
  • Like 6

I agree with the line woes, but I'd hate for the first two years of Haskins' contract to essentially be did not play. It'd leave us one year to make a decision. Worse, if we had the 2nd pick again or if they rotated it so that we get a first would we abandon him for Lawrence without ever having given Haskins an honest chance?

We need the pups to develop and you develop best under fire.

• Like 2

With everything that’s been happening this year, it would be nice to have something positive.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This isn't a strategic football discussion.  It's definitely a medical discussion.  If it's medically safe for the players and coaches and all of the staff that are a part of putting on and covering games, then I absolutely don't want to see the season cancelled and really nobody should.  A lot of peoples livelihoods are at stake.  Just thinking about the players in particular, most of them don't have many years of pro football earnings in their future so losing a year of income would be really tough.  Playing this game is an incredible opportunity to earn some wealth that could change the course of their family's lives, but the window for making NFL player wages is so small.  So unless the pandemic makes it too dangerous and puts people's lives at stake, then the players need to be able to play.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think they need to pick a bunch of athletes and their girlfriends and maybe a certain number of fans and then go to some small town with a couple hotels and lock them all down like the Truman Show. Different teams and different sports, their lives. Reality show, football, basketball, baseball,MMA, hockey, whatever. 24 hour network with everyone stuck quarantined in their homes. Captive audience.

But No, I want to watch football and we won't suck.

Well it would suck cause first overall would end up being sewell...and I guess we would get Lawrence. But I'd rather sewell to protect that blindside

**** no.  Hell no.

They must play, if they can. I am getting siked for football.  Already see the College Football Annuals out in the stores. Waiting for the 3-4 Pro Football Annuals; that should be out shortly.

I can live with an delayed start, an interrupted season, or the season having to stop.  I just want some football.  Regardless of how many games are able to be played; it's a good thing.   Year 1 is more of an evaluation year.  Ron has to see which players will fit into his long term plans.  We need to see if Haskins can step up be our franchise QB.

Even with a reduced season; we should be able to determine that in 2020.  

If we actually surprise and contend, that will be great.    Now, if the postseason had to be canceled; that would be sad, but understandable.

If all the other sports are playing, the NFL should also.  They have had the benefit of being in their offseason when all this started' so they can plan on how to play the games safely.  What to do if your team has an outbreak, etc...   

Even if we can only play 8 games, that will help us in the future.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In some respects, a truncated, interrupted season benefits the Redskins. I want us to win, but wouldn't be entirely upset if Rivera treated the whole season as a preseason designed to install and teach his system, discover his roster, and build.

I mean it'd be great if outside of the cloud of Allen and Gruden's incompetency the team suddenly exploded to a 9-10-11 win team, but realistically I'd love for them just to grow together and improve every game so that in 2021 they are ready to go full sprint. I think that's the way we're playing it too. Our offseason acquisitions seem to be mostly try hard guys, place holders, and diamonds in the rough. Maybe some of them emerge, but so many players would have to overachieve (especially on the o-line) for us to stand a chance that I see this as a testing season.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In the name of all things holy, NO. It was hard enough rooting for losses every week last year (which I DID). That's the most I can do in being willing to sacrifice joy in the moment for longterm gain. Canceling an entire ****ing season? No, I am not willing to go that far. I want this season. I need this season. Besides, I think an entire year missed could have a huge negative impact on players like Haskins, Young, etc. Let them play in branded Hazmat suits if necessary. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I don't see it happening - the cancellation, that is.

Think about the ridiculous amount of revenue the NFL brings in, not just for themselves, but others.

And they can use that revenue to invest in technology as safeguards to improve safety.

How about apparatus like this ?

be0aa668f1b27d11b944d4aa4261a355.jpg

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Haha 1

Look ya'll, I get where many of you are coming from.

Just so were on the same page, this may happen whether we like it or not.

@stevemcqueen1 you bring up a good point that NFL players don't have the contract leverage the other leagues have.  It does seem if the season is canceled, a lot of players are going to be getting cut almost immediately and their income cut to fraction of what it is, if not gone completely, in the immediate sense.

Was really hoping that that would be part of whatever negotiations are going on for 2020, hope it doesn't get as ugly as MLB is going right now.  

I went on record wanting Haskins out there even though he wasn't ready week 1 in 2019, so I know it does sound weird me wanting to put him in bubble wrap now. I'll admit that the football advantages of a canceled season are small or really negligible, only one of the 5 reasons I put in my OP are actually on the field.

40 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If it's cancelled, the good news is Bryce Love should possibly be expected to be healthy by the time the 2021 season starts

He’s still not ready?

Posted (edited)

I think football season seems increasingly unlikely. The Covid precautions are hilarious — you can’t sit close to each other in the locker room but you can tackle each other? 

I bet the 2021 draft would be a lottery and we would get screwed. End up with the last pick. 

And the problem with giving us the number two pick again is there’s a good chance we would have ended up with the number one pick if the season happened. 

Edited by Hooper

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

The Covid precautions are hilarious — you can’t sit close to each other in the locker room but you can tackle each other? 

They are hilarious.

Several thousand people can go out into the street and protest, standing right next to each other with no masks on, but those same thousands of people can't sit next to each other in a stadium.

Too ridiculous for words.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

They are hilarious.

Several thousand people can go out into the street and protest, standing right next to each other with no masks on, but those same thousands of people can't sit next to each other in a stadium.

Actually, those protesters are putting themselves at risk. I think they know they're putting themselves at risk. They think the cause is worth the risk.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are a lot of old unhealthy men in the coaching ranks. Andy Reid might have to wear a hazmat suit. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

They are hilarious.

6 hours ago, Burgold said:

Actually, those protesters are putting themselves at risk. I think they know they're putting themselves at risk. They think the cause is worth the risk.

No good will come from hospital system being overwhelmed, regardless of who thinks what is worth it.  But wrong thread for that discussion.

Opened a can of worms here, obviously a lot of folks don't want this distraction we call Redskins football taken from them. 

That's more then fair, all things considered.

7 hours ago, Hooper said:

I think football season seems increasingly unlikely. The Covid precautions are hilarious — you can’t sit close to each other in the locker room but you can tackle each other? 

They'll make them all sign waivers and not let fans in at this rate.

I bet the 2021 draft would be a lottery and we would get screwed. End up with the last pick. 

Is there an precedent for this?

And the problem with giving us the number two pick again is there’s a good chance we would have ended up with the number one pick if the season happened. 

Like I said, I don't think it matters if it's that high, trade down.  We didn't do it this year for obvious reasons, a canceled season makes no sense taking a risk that high in the draft unless it's for a QB (which we already have).

Posted (edited)

I'm more in the I don't care mind set.  It's up to the players to decide if it is worth it to play or not.  I support their decision.  Football is a full-contact sport where they will be exchanging blood, sweat, droplets, and maybe COVID-19.  So a cancelled season that has the Redskins picking #2 again wouldn't upset me.  However having a lottery of last year's even non-playoff teams would upset me greatly, because the Redskins are projected to be one of the two worst teams in the NFL.

One of the greatest negatives of a cancelled season is not knowing how good Dwayne Haskins is.  Resolution of that issue would be very beneficial regarding the 2021 draft.  Another year of not knowing how good he is would probably start to wear on my nerves.

Edited by cakmoney61
  • Like 1