Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

Missouri bill would allow deadly force against demonstrators

A Missouri senator on Monday pitched a bill that would allow the use of deadly force against protesters on private property and give immunity to people who run over demonstrators blocking traffic.

The proposal is one of several that follow sometimes violent protests in Missouri last summer over the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis police custody, including demonstrations that blocked traffic on busy roads in the St. Louis area.

“To think that your right to protest enables you the right to stop traffic and literally stop people's ability to move about freely in this nation is a gross misunderstanding of our constitutional rights,” bill sponsor Sen. Rick Brattin said during the Monday hearing.

The Harrisonville Republican said blocking traffic can be dangerous if it stops ambulances or police from responding to emergencies.

Missouri civil rights leader the Rev. Darryl Gray told committee members that people also disagreed with how the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. protested, but “those same methods that you seek to criminalize are the same methods that helped to destroy Jim Crow laws, segregation and destroyed centuries of hatred and bigotry.”

He asked lawmakers not to expand the use of deadly force to those outside of law enforcement.

“If this bill is enacted it would vilify non-violent protesters,” Gray said. “I don’t believe that any members of this august body would deliberately seek to shield drivers who willfully choose to run over protesters.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 7:21 AM, visionary said:

This country....

Judge declines new arrest warrant for Kyle Rittenhouse

In addition to a new arrest warrant, Binger asked Judge Bruce Schroeder to increase Rittenhouse’s bail by $200,000. Rittenhouse’s attorneys countered that Rittenhouse is in hiding due to threats.

Schroeder refused both of Binger’s requests. During a testy hearing the judge said people out on bail often fail to update their addresses and aren’t arrested. He ordered Rittenhouse attorney Mark Richards to turn over Rittenhouse’s current physical address but said it would be sealed to the public and only he and the Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department would have access to it.

The judge refused to give Binger the address, saying he didn’t want more violence in Kenosha. The move — and the comment — left Binger flabbergasted.

“I hope you’re not suggesting sharing this with our office would lead to further violence,” Binger said. “We are not the public. We are the prosecuting agency. I have never heard of a situation where the information has been withheld from my office.”

Click on the link for he full article

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Today, the DOJ filed a motion to dismiss claims . . . arguing they cannot be held liable for carrying out "a high-level policy decision".

Your honor, before responding to this motion, I would like said "high-level policy decision" to be entered into the record, identified as to the source of the decision.  

I also request leave to amend my suit, by adding additional defendants.  

• 2 weeks later...

'An important victory for the First Amendment': Iowa journalist Andrea Sahouri acquitted in rare trial of reporter

Andrea Sahouri, the Iowa journalist who was arrested as she reported on racial justice protests last summer, was found not guilty in a case that drew widespread condemnation from journalism and free press organizations.

Sahouri, a Des Moines Register reporter, was one of just a handful of journalists whose charges stemming from coverage of the protests in the wake of George Floyd's killing were not thrown out. More than 120 reporters were arrested or detained in 2020, but in most cases, prosecutors dropped the charges.

The Des Moines Register is owned by Gannett, the same parent company as USA TODAY.

Sahouri was acquitted on Wednesday of both misdemeanor charges against her, failure to disperse and interference with official acts. Both carried up to 30 days in jail.

In a company email, Maribel Perez Wadsworth, president and publisher of USA TODAY who oversees the news division of Gannett, called the verdict "an important victory for the First Amendment and for journalism."

Click on the link for the full article