Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread

bakedtater1

I went back 8 plus pages looking for an o line thread and didnt see one. So I figured this could be a place to talk about the current o line or what's there of an o line for now. Highlights and what have ya of current players set to be starters and how they could/could not fit in the new system would be nice to have here.

So far I've got..and this is right off the top of my head.

Moses,Scherff,Roulier,?,Christian/rookie from lsu/free agent from atl...Untill I see the production from the o line in live games it's got me scratching my head.

Edited by bakedtater1

A starting line of this from RR would not surprise me,

LT Lucas

LG Schweitzer

C Roullier

RG Scherff

RT Moses 

I’m becoming less concerned about our roster deficiencies at the minute. If we don’t address some needs that I think we have then this becomes very much like an experimental season. Disjointed offseason, potentially disruptive regular season both still possible. Cap restrictions next year also a potential factor I suppose.

That said, I would like to see a clear direction from RR. If it’s about youth and building, I’d like to see that unfold. The OL above would not be true of that approach, so I’m keen to see how they go on the OL. Looks to me like we’ve just patched it up for now.

Also, I’ve said this before about Scherff, but if RR doesn’t want to pay him a LT deal of 15mi+ a year that he’ll likely be demanding, we should consider trading him now and starting Martin at RG. There is no evidence to suggest RR doesn’t, I guess other than Scherff staying on the tag during the season.

Get a couple of draft picks, saving the 15mil in cash and cap this year, start Martin. 

Or lock Scherff up on a LTD prior to the season starting. Hopefully that happens.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 8:04 AM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

A starting line of this from RR would not surprise me,

LT Lucas

LG Schweitzer

C Roullier

RG Scherff

RT Moses 

I’m becoming less concerned about our roster deficiencies at the minute. If we don’t address some needs that I think we have then this becomes very much like an experimental season. Disjointed offseason, potentially disruptive regular season both still possible. Cap restrictions next year also a potential factor I suppose.

That said, I would like to see a clear direction from RR. If it’s about youth and building, I’d like to see that unfold. The OL above would not be true of that approach, so I’m keen to see how they go on the OL. Looks to me like we’ve just patched it up for now.

Also, I’ve said this before about Scherff, but if RR doesn’t want to pay him a LT deal of 15mi+ a year that he’ll likely be demanding, we should consider trading him now and starting Martin at RG. There is no evidence to suggest RR doesn’t, I guess other than Scherff staying on the tag during the season.

Get a couple of draft picks, saving the 15mil in cash and cap this year, start Martin. 

Or lock Scherff up on a LTD prior to the season starting. Hopefully that happens.

That OL is legitimately a contender for worst in the league, you have to be a homer not to see that. OL is different than every other position in the sense that someone else's physical well-being depends on the players, that being the QB. I can understand if RR puts the more experienced players here to protect Haskins. Obviously, if the younger guys are better, then you play them, but that's still unknown. 

That being said, I think we obviously need to improve the talent along our OL now. The only position right now that really doesn't need upgrading is RG, every other position needs to be looked at. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

That OL is legitimately a contender for worst in the league, you have to be a homer not to see that.

I do think we being overly optimistic and that's being kind. I'd be trying everything possible to get Jason Peters to handle the LT position for a one-year stopgap and have an open competition for our RT position. Nobody at the T on the roster at present gives me comfort.

Some discussion on the topic on twitter last night.  I am generally optimistic about this roster but I do think O line potentially can be a mess. 

Wes Martin's 37 grade in pass protection is pretty abysmal. Granted he's young.  With Christian, some have said he doesn't play with an edge and some in the building have doubts about him for that reason.  Schweitzer has mostly been a backup.  I like Charles but with 33 inch arms and multiple suspensions in college, is he the answer at LT?  Maybe.  But it's a wildcard.  I am one of the bigger Scherff fans on the board but I need to see him stay healthy.

It's tough to rebuild a team all at once.  So I got no issue with what we got going now on O line.  But it wouldn't shock me if next off season is focused on this spot. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 9.09.04 AM.png

• Like 1

Lost elite..get that?..everyone seeing that?..ELITE...Bill Callahan..its totally understandable though with a whole new coaching staff..thanks for posting that sip..gives me an idea as to who would start if the season started today...Lucas is the dude from atl right?..at least he's experienced..I'm telling ya if theres a draft in 2021 and the skins are picking in the top 5 the o line could be the reason why.

First 6 weeks could be rocky as hell..1-5..mayyyybe 2-4..because of bad o line play..that's when we'll see if we have a good o line coach..see if he makes the proper adjustments...

2 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Lost elite..get that?..everyone seeing that?..ELITE...Bill Callahan..its totally understandable though with a whole new coaching staff..thanks for posting that sip..gives me an idea as to who would start if the season started today...Lucas is the dude from atl right?..at least he's experienced..I'm telling ya if theres a draft in 2021 and the skins are picking in the top 5 the o line could be the reason why.

First 6 weeks could be rocky as hell..1-5..mayyyybe 2-4..because of bad o line play..that's when we'll see if we have a good o line coach..see if he makes the proper adjustments...

Schweitzer is from Atlanta, Lucas is from Chicago

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Some discussion on the topic on twitter last night.  I am generally optimistic about this roster but I do think O line potentially can be a mess.

Re Martins poor pass blocking grade, I really think that is simply a matter of a smaller sample size and him being thrown into the mix. Remember that he was the #1 guard in the nation for # of pass blocks without giving up a single sack.*  I have a lot of faith in Martins potential.

*https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/4/30/18523247/how-did-new-redskins-guard-wes-martin-slip-through-the-cracks

(and sorry for the larger text quote. I could not get the twitter blocks to delete from the quote)

8 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Re Martins poor pass blocking grade, I really think that is simply a matter of a smaller sample size and him being thrown into the mix. Remember that he was the #1 guard in the nation for # of pass blocks without giving up a single sack.*  I have a lot of faith in Martins potential.

*https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/4/30/18523247/how-did-new-redskins-guard-wes-martin-slip-through-the-cracks

(and sorry for the larger text quote. I could not get the twitter blocks to delete from the quote)

I don't know about Martin one way or another.  I do trust PFF more on O line scores than anything else.  They have multiple times said their O line scores above all positions are the most reliable among their grades.   Martin's scores are "meh" in run blocking, too.    I agree it's a small sample and he can turn out good. Just saying I think its hard for us to say he's not a wildcard.    

Edited by Skinsinparadise

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RVAskins said:

I just hope Moses can cut down on his penalties. He kills our momentum. I know he's had a lot of injuries but he really needs to step up.

As much as I hate saying ya can almost say the same thing about scherff..

• 2 months later...

So a couple of thoughts:

1. The center/right side of the line just has to be solid.  Rouiller/Scherff/Moses need to just be "good."  They are all veterans.  Moses hasn't lived up to the hype and takes too many penalties.  I doubt that flies with Ron and this coaching staff, though I'm not sure what other options they have.  Scherff is in a franchise tag year and it benefits him to play well.  Hopefully he stays healthy.  And Rouiller isn't awesome, but he isn't terrible.    

That's 3/5th of the OL which should be set, and just HAS to be good enough. Not spectacular, just good enough. 

2. OL vs. DL in practice and TC is almost always set up to favor the defensive guy. And we have good defensive edge rushers.  So I would hope they would dominate the OL in this circumstance.

3. The right side is a complete question mark, and the absence of Charles is concerning.  And to the best of my knowledge, we have no idea what his issue is.  The longer he's out, however, the less likely he will have the time to win the job, at least initially.

4.  Scott Turner is going to have to be extraordinarily creative and use formation and motion and play calling to slow down the pass-rush.  I could see the offense being similar in a way to the 2012 offense: really good at 1st and 2nd down (it won't be AS good, but it could be good), but really struggles in known passing situations.  The 2012 offense was possibly the best 1st/2nd down defense in the history of the league, but it really struggled on 3rd and medium/long, when they needed Griffin to read and throw into coverage.  (That's not a knock on Griffin in 2012, it's just what it was. And he did make some plays on 3rd down, not saying he didn't.  But 3rd and long was a struggle the entire year.  It was just masked because of how awesome 1st and 2nd down were.)  I could see a situation where Scott Turner schemes up a lot of motions, screens, quick throws, whatever on first and second down to keep the defense off-balance, but if any of it doesn't work, 3rd down could be a real problem.

5. As far as Callahan goes, I'm glad he's gone.  I think there's no question he's a good OL coach, but he was a direct link to the old ways, and he needed to go.  And this isn't a knock at a guy who's not here any more, I'm not quite sure how elite an OL Coach he was.  He was good, and he developed a few guys, and with all the injuries, he was put in a bad spot.  However, the OL never was elite.  It always had too many penalties, and apparently he had a say in the run game coordination, and that, schematically, was just atrocious.  

So, in summary, for a rebuilding year, I haven't hit the panic button yet.  I think they are trying to move pieces around to see what the best combo is.  Charles not being in the mix is a problem.  And the defense basically knows what's coming, so the things you can do in-game to trick the defense don't really exist as much in practice.  

We'll see.  The OL might be absolutely putrid.  Or it might be "ok."

I think one thing is sure: the 2021 OL will look a lot different than the 2020 OL  I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a top draft pick going OL, or a big FA signing (or two) next year.  Ron wanted to see what he had in Charles, Christian, and signed a journeyman vet in Lucas at RT..  He wants to see if Scherff can stay healthy, and how Moses and Rouiller fit into the scheme, and what Martin and Ross P. can do before throwing a ton of resources at the position.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bowhunter said:

After releasing Pamphile yesterday while bringing in numerous tryouts, Things are really beginning to look scary, Any news on when Charles will be on the field?

Our depth looks scary.  But the starters are probably ok.  Most opponents do not have a d-line like ours.  This is a trial by fire, but it's showing the backups can't take the heat.

So Cornelius Lucas is bad at LT but ok at RT?  Do I have that right?

Anyone know who the backup Center is?  Pierschbacher or Ishmael?

I think people are overreacting. Yeah our O-line doesn't look good right now but last year people went crazy because "trash" Ereck Flowers was penciled in as a starter and Trent held out. At the end of the year people were sad to see Flowers leave and while Trent was surely missed and our O-line was nothing to brag about it was also not horrible - just average.

This year's o-line is still the same at C, RG and RT and we once again have a question mark at LG and LT and everything starts over again.

I mean we are in the first week of practice, it's a new offensive scheme with a lot of different responsibilities and the left part of the line is rotating between several players competing for the job. On top of that this O-line is going against a unit that is one of the strongest in the entire NFL and for once not coached (talking about DC) by an absolute moron. What did people expect?

• Like 3