Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

14 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I am not saying Fields won't be a good QB in the NFL, but if you're specifically addressing the issue of college "translating" into the NFL, this stat does not come close to proving that his talent will translate at a pro level.

The PFF guy was just piling on to disagreeing with the narrative that all Ohio State QBs are the same which some on this thread and other places have voiced concerns about.  I get Haskins is a sensitive subject but its not hard to see as least with the national media that Haskins is mostly perceived as a bust.  And since Fields is the next guy coming out after Haskins the narratives about both have some overlap.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, KDawg said:

I feel like it’s part “we should have drafted him” and part dig. Like a half and half situation. 

Because Kyle didn’t have a high grade on the Hask 

:ols:

So far, I am still happy we did not draft Tua.  With his injury history, I just don't believe he can play a full season.  

26 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

True, I definitely wouldn't take him with a top 10 pick. But he's slowly growing on me. I'm going back and forth between him and Mac Jones as potential long shots. 

He from what I've read is one of these try hard overacheivers. I wouldn't hate it if they took him in the 2nd.  He doesn't strike me a as a dude with the talent to ever be a top half of the league caliber QB.  I like Jones a little more because I think he has more arm strength.

If I had to go with a 2nd tier type, right now I'd lean to one of the mobile types:  Mond, Newman, Ridder.

On another note, what a run just now from Fields, wow. 

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He’s been good under pressure in the past. Not so good right now. That throw to Olave off balance was horrendous.

My first time watching him.  I’m finding myself more impressed with IU than OSUs QB.  He did just have a nice escape and scramble for an almost TD.  I’m just seeing too many back foot throws and below avg pocket awareness.  It’s just 1 game, but I didn’t expect him to struggle so mightily today

Kyle Trask doesn't mind being your inconvenient truth. Dan Orlovsky put it perfectly when he said he "creates operational space". Be tough to do that with slow feet I reckon. Fields is a virtual lock for the number 2 pick as of today and it's tough to see anyone but Jacksonville picking there. 

Edited by Berggy9598

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

And that’s awesome for his stock that he was playing out of sync, throwing off his back foot, making bad decisions and then immediately turned it around.

You have sold me on Fields, but today's game reminded me of why I had reservations.   When Indiana has successfully put pressure on him they have got a couple picks and sacks.    In the NFL he will face a lot of that.  It is a good sign that he responded well, but today was a reminder that he is going to have moments next year where he looks like crap.

Just now, philibusters said:

You have sold me on Fields, but today's game reminded me of why I had reservations.   When Indiana has successfully put pressure on him they have got a couple picks and sacks.    In the NFL he will face a lot of that.  It is a good sign that he responded well, but today was a reminder that he is going to have moments next year where he looks like crap.

Oh absolutely. He’s going to have moments. He’s not perfect.

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Seems to show more mobility when he decides to run.

He runs like a Trask Star. :)

Not sure what the expectations of him are in that regard. He's not a dual threat QB but he moves very well in the pocket for a tall QB and his anticipation and spatial awareness are excellent. 

23 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

With all due respect, you take things too personally. Historically you chip out of draft conversations as soon as the team picks a prospect you don’t endorse. 

We all know jack **** in reality, so just kinda step back and be less emotionally attached would be my advice. 

This is bull****.  I've have thousands of good discussions in these draft threads over the last ten years, and maybe you think you don't know anything, but there are many posters in here that do know quite a lot.  I think some people just can't handle criticism of this front office and coaching staff.

That could be the big play Ohio State needed to take the momentum back.  Need to get Fields comfortable again and re-establish the run game.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Oh absolutely. He’s going to have moments. He’s not perfect.

I don't think it's all his fault. A big part of dealing with pressure as a QB comes with reps, and he just hasn't seen enough of those types of reps at OSU. He does have the necessary tools to figure it out though. 

• Like 1

That should have been a targeting call, Fields took a shot in the face after that guy led with the crown of his helmet.

Basically just throwing these back shoulders on single coverage on the outside on bad leverage downs and Fryfogle has been making it work.  Penix has been able to stay just ahead of the pressure until that last third down.  But that stuff is only working because his receivers have been so good.

47 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think some people just can't handle criticism of this front office and coaching staff.

I also think some people just can’t handle the reality that their assessment of college prospects isn’t quite seen the same way by highly qualified NFL professionals. 

But I agree, the discussions in here in fact are way better than good, your input especially.

• Thanks 1