Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah compares Lance (6-foot-4 and 226 pounds) to former No. 1 overall pick Andrew Luck (6-4, 234 coming out of Stanford) because of their similarities in athleticism, maturity, confidence and fearlessness.

Wentz, Stick and Lance all ran a Bison offensive scheme that bore similarities to a traditional NFL system, and although Wentz and Stick played for former NDSU coach Chris Klieman (now the head man at Kansas State), that hasn't changed under Entz. According to NDSU quarterbacks coach Randy Hedberg, Lance processed pre-snap looks from the defense remarkably well for a first-year starter, and shares credit with an offensive line that allowed just 13 sacks in 16 games.

"In our system, the quarterback sets the protection on almost every play, which is a little unusual," Hedberg said. "Our offensive line did a great job, but so did Trey with knowing what protections to call. That helped Carson and Easton transition to the NFL, and it will help Trey."

Entz and his staff realized quickly after Lance's arrival in 2018 that he was the program's future at quarterback. They responded by giving him some first-team practice reps with the starters during a redshirt year, an unusual move as redshirting quarterbacks typically run the scout-team offense. He learned much from Stick, whom Lance credits for turning him into an extremely detailed note-taker. NDSU backup QB Zeb Noland said he witnessed Lance pen 80 thoughts, one for every snap, while breaking down a Central Arkansas game from last year. Lance has also built a relationship with Wentz, who sent him a text of encouragement before every NDSU game last year.

If Lance does indeed enter the 2021 draft, NFL clubs' evaluations of him will have to stop a little shallow. As a one-year starter whose 2020 fall season was scrapped, except for Saturday's game, Lance simply doesn't offer a very deep library of game tapes. That could make investing a first-round selection in him a less-certain proposition.

Still, Lance's talent has scouts looking beyond his experience.

"If this one-game season is [the end of] his college career, I really doubt he'll be asked to carry a team as a rookie," said an area scout for an NFC team. "He's got all the physical traits teams like and that's going to drive his draft position. He's a great college player with a bright future. But throwing a kid that young into an NFL season who didn't even get to play his last year in college, with one year as an FCS starter, it's a lot to ask."

The competitive divide between the FCS and the NFL is a deep one; only six FCS players were selected in the 2020 draft, although that number is more commonly in the teens. A scheduled NDSU game against Oregon this fall would have helped scouts get a better feel for Lance's ability against tougher competition, but the Pac-12's July decision to cancel non-conference games wiped out that opportunity. The Ducks would have been the first FBS opponent Lance faced in college. Nevertheless, his skill overrides any concern about competition, just as it did with Wentz, who faced only one FBS opponent (Iowa State) in his NDSU career.

"The number of games he's played would be more of a concern (than the competition level)," Jeremiah said. "His skill set is easy to identify, I don't care who he's playing against or with. But ideally, you'd like a little longer track record."

..."He's so impressive to talk to, you think, I'm not betting against that guy," said Jeremiah. "With some players, you just know they're not going to fail. I had the same feeling about Josh Jacobs; you realize this guy has all the skills you need, plus he's wired the right way. I feel the same way about Trey Lance."

https://www.nfl.com/news/back-2-campus/no-longer-ignored-ndsu-qb-trey-lance-has-nfl-s-attention

On 9/29/2020 at 5:33 PM, KDawg said:

Also, from the above article posted... 

North Dakota State is playing its only game of the season this Saturday at 3:30 EST on ESPN+ against Central Arkansas. So that's the one time we see Lance this season.

I honestly can't believe that. 

Yeah I noticed, weird, but I'll watch it.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/29994405/kiper-mcshay-early-season-college-football-takeaways-plus-expectations-trey-lance-lone-2020-start

Kiper: My biggest takeaway so far? That the 2021 class of pass-catchers is even better than I thought. After six wide receivers went in Round 1 in April, McShay put eight in his preseason 2021 Mock Draft, plus two more tight ends. I had six total -- four wideouts, two tight ends -- in my preseason Big Board, but there will be more in my next update.

This is really just an outstanding class of receivers at the top, from Ja'Marr Chase (LSU) and Rashod Bateman (Minnesota) to Jaylen Waddle and DeVonta Smith (Alabama). And it's one of the best classes of high-end tight ends we've seen in recent years, with Pat Freiermuth (Penn State), Kyle Pitts (Florida) and Brevin Jordan (Miami) all getting first-round grades from me. I won't go through and list all of the potential first-rounders, but it's exciting to see all of the elite pass-catching talent college football is producing.

McShay: We've hit on QB and WR, so I might as well mention the running backs, too. I've seen the top three backs on my board live in consecutive weeks to start the season, and Clemson's Travis Etienne (No. 19), Oklahoma State's Chuba Hubbard (No. 32) and Alabama's Najee Harris (No. 33) all stood out. Etienne is tough as they come, and I love his acceleration to and through the hole. Hubbard shows fantastic contact balance and elite track speed, but he didn't seem to fully get going in the Cowboys' narrow win against Tulsa.

Of the three, though, Harris is the one I see rising in the early going. In the Crimson Tide's opener against Missouri on Saturday, he averaged 5.8 yards and scored three times on the ground. For a running back with his strength and 6-foot-2, 232-pound frame, I was previously concerned he danced too much, looking for the home run. But Harris ran hard and stayed in his lane on Saturday. And he looks improved in pass protection and remains underrated as a pass-catcher.

What do you want to see from Trey Lance this weekend?

Kiper: How weird is this, Todd? Lance is going to get his one-game showcase, vs. Central Arkansas on Saturday (3:30 p.m. ET, ESPN+). And then the North Dakota State quarterback is likely headed to April's draft. The problem is ... are we really going to make huge proclamations based on his performance in a game he should dominate?

McShay: It's better than nothing, but we can't overreact to one game just because it happens to be his only game this season. I would have loved to see more of him this season, especially since we still haven't seen him play against an FBS team. Even so, we know he has the physical attributes, including great 6-foot-4, 226-pound size. We know he has great touch on his throws and layers the ball well. We know he does a good job extending plays and can tuck and run with the best of them (he had 1,100 yards on the ground in 2019). And we know he can drive the ball vertically.

Kiper: You really just want him to stay healthy. I'm not going to overreact one way or the other. There's a reason he's the third-ranked quarterback in my rankings, and that's not going to change based on one game.

McShay: Health is certainly the big thing, but there is one on-field aspect of his game I will be keeping a close eye on: whether he appears to be a more mature decision-maker. Yes, Lance didn't throw an interception last year on 287 attempts. He protects the ball, and that's great. But I'm talking about how he processes the field. I want to see fast eyes and quick reads this weekend. That ability is key for an NFL franchise starter. Right now, Lance is the third QB on my board and No. 9 overall.

Kiper: There are some other prospects worth checking out in this game, too. North Dakota State wide receiver Christian Watson, who averaged 21.5 yards per catch last season, has an NFL future. Keep an eye on his matchups with Central Arkansas corner Robert Rochell, who could be a Day 2 pick in April. Rochell is a big, 6-foot-2 athlete who has 10 career interceptions. Lance also has a really good blindside protector in Dillon Radunz, who was my third-ranked tackle before the season.

21 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah compares Lance (6-foot-4 and 226 pounds) to former No. 1 overall pick Andrew Luck (6-4, 234 coming out of Stanford) because of their similarities in athleticism, maturity, confidence and fearlessness.

Wentz, Stick and Lance all ran a Bison offensive scheme that bore similarities to a traditional NFL system, and although Wentz and Stick played for former NDSU coach Chris Klieman (now the head man at Kansas State), that hasn't changed under Entz. According to NDSU quarterbacks coach Randy Hedberg, Lance processed pre-snap looks from the defense remarkably well for a first-year starter, and shares credit with an offensive line that allowed just 13 sacks in 16 games.

"In our system, the quarterback sets the protection on almost every play, which is a little unusual," Hedberg said. "Our offensive line did a great job, but so did Trey with knowing what protections to call. That helped Carson and Easton transition to the NFL, and it will help Trey."

Entz and his staff realized quickly after Lance's arrival in 2018 that he was the program's future at quarterback. They responded by giving him some first-team practice reps with the starters during a redshirt year, an unusual move as redshirting quarterbacks typically run the scout-team offense. He learned much from Stick, whom Lance credits for turning him into an extremely detailed note-taker. NDSU backup QB Zeb Noland said he witnessed Lance pen 80 thoughts, one for every snap, while breaking down a Central Arkansas game from last year. Lance has also built a relationship with Wentz, who sent him a text of encouragement before every NDSU game last year.

If Lance does indeed enter the 2021 draft, NFL clubs' evaluations of him will have to stop a little shallow. As a one-year starter whose 2020 fall season was scrapped, except for Saturday's game, Lance simply doesn't offer a very deep library of game tapes. That could make investing a first-round selection in him a less-certain proposition.

Still, Lance's talent has scouts looking beyond his experience.

"If this one-game season is [the end of] his college career, I really doubt he'll be asked to carry a team as a rookie," said an area scout for an NFC team. "He's got all the physical traits teams like and that's going to drive his draft position. He's a great college player with a bright future. But throwing a kid that young into an NFL season who didn't even get to play his last year in college, with one year as an FCS starter, it's a lot to ask."

The competitive divide between the FCS and the NFL is a deep one; only six FCS players were selected in the 2020 draft, although that number is more commonly in the teens. A scheduled NDSU game against Oregon this fall would have helped scouts get a better feel for Lance's ability against tougher competition, but the Pac-12's July decision to cancel non-conference games wiped out that opportunity. The Ducks would have been the first FBS opponent Lance faced in college. Nevertheless, his skill overrides any concern about competition, just as it did with Wentz, who faced only one FBS opponent (Iowa State) in his NDSU career.

"The number of games he's played would be more of a concern (than the competition level)," Jeremiah said. "His skill set is easy to identify, I don't care who he's playing against or with. But ideally, you'd like a little longer track record."

..."He's so impressive to talk to, you think, I'm not betting against that guy," said Jeremiah. "With some players, you just know they're not going to fail. I had the same feeling about Josh Jacobs; you realize this guy has all the skills you need, plus he's wired the right way. I feel the same way about Trey Lance."

https://www.nfl.com/news/back-2-campus/no-longer-ignored-ndsu-qb-trey-lance-has-nfl-s-attention

I want 'em

I think we'll be picking too high for Lance--does he go in the top 15?  The one position teams make the worst mistakes with are QBs. There are a lot of red flags with him, as well, that we've dealt with before that are hard to overcome: gap between FCS and NFL, limited starting experience being the biggest two. If we end up with him--I'd imagine a trade back--he sits and watches his 1st year. Let Kyle Allen start--assuming Haskins is traded. His film is fun to watch, but so was Haskins'.

This is all speculation. But if we're say the 6-7th pick, and Greg Rousseau is there. That would be an ideal situation to move back, add picks, which we would also need.

On 9/29/2020 at 4:41 PM, KDawg said:

I’m going to do a deep dive on the QBs, guards, backers, safeties, tackles in this draft. 

And then I’ll do a deep dive on everything else... because I won’t be able to help myself :ols:

I'll eventually do the same but not until a month or so from now.  It also will probably give me enough time to know if I need to dive hard into QBs.  I think I'll start with TEs since I've already started with it.  Then probaky tackle.  Then am guessing QB.

59 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If I'm Trevor Lawrence, I'm going back to Clemson if the Jets get the #1 overall pick.

If I’m Fields or Lance or Trask I’m going back, too. :ols:

With the first pick in the 2021 NFL Draft the New York Jets select: KJ Costello, Quarterback, Miss. State

BREAKING NEWS: Costello opts to become a Doctor

Archived