Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: BRANDON SCHERFF SIGNS FRANCHISE TENDER

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

April 8, 2020

BRANDON SCHERFF SIGNS FRANCHISE TENDER

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that guard Brandon Scherff has signed his franchise tender.

Last season, Scherff played and started in 11 games while only giving up one and a half sacks and was named to the Pro Bowl.

Scherff is entering his sixth NFL season after originally being selected by the Redskins in the first round (5th overall) of the 2015 NFL Draft. For his career, Scherff has appeared in 65 regular season games with 65 starts. Scherff has earned Pro Bowl selections three times in his career in 2016, 2017 and 2019. In 2015, he was named a PFWA All-Rookie performer.

Scherff, 28, played collegiately at Iowa from 2011-14, where he received the Outland Trophy, which is awarded annually to the nation’s most outstanding interior lineman. He also earned unanimous consensus All-American honors and was named first-team All-Big Ten for the second consecutive season. He also won the Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year award in the Big Ten Conference. Scherff was born on Dec. 26, 1991, and attended Denison High School in Denison, Iowa.

6 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Can other teams make Sherff an offer and if we don't match we get 1st round picks. 

HTTR 

What is a franchise tag in the NFL?

• Non-exclusive franchise tag

Definition and rules: The non-exclusive franchise tender shall be a one-year NFL player contract for ...

— (A), The average of the five largest prior year salaries for players at the position at which the franchise player participated in the most plays during the prior league year, which average shall be calculated by:

1. Summing the amounts of the franchise tags for players at that position for the five preceding league years
  2. Dividing the resulting amount by the sum of the salary caps for the five preceding league years
  3. Multiplying the resulting percentage by the salary cap for the upcoming league year

— or (B), 120 percent of his prior year salary, whichever is greater.

If the team extends the tender pursuant to this subsection, the player shall be permitted to negotiate a player contract with any club, except that draft choice compensation of two first round draft selections shall be made with respect to such player in the event he signs with the new club.

Meaning: Non-exclusive tags are most commonly used. It means a team will pay the tagged player no less than the average of the five highest salaries at the player’s position over the last five years, or 120 percent of the player’s cap number from the previous season, whichever is greater. The player is allowed to negotiate with other teams, but his current team can match any offer sheet. If a player's current team declines to match another team's offer, it will be awarded two first-round draft picks as compensation.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/franchise-tag-nfl-meaning-deadline-2020-values-rules/1nn0kl8x7hg5210kevqk2oim4w

think I did this right 🤷‍♂️

He is a really good player who has had some injuries. I don't know if he worth a huge long contract. With all the turmoil brought to the team with Allen, Gruden, Trent and Dunbar I thought signing Flowers or extending Scherff would have sent a positive messsge to the team and in the locker room.

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Bout time this deal was sorted.

Anyone else think if the long term isn’t coming we should consider trading?

If offensive line was a strength I'd say we should consider it, but with him being the only high level proven commodity on a unit that starts 5 men I'd say we gotta at least keep him through this year and see how the season plays out if we can't get him signed long term this year. 

On 5/8/2020 at 5:41 PM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

So what both Kyle Smith and Ron have said is they are not going to extend players until they’ve seen them play and practice.  I doubt they give Scherff a deal until after the season is over and they see him in the offense. 

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So what both Kyle Smith and Ron have said is they are not going to extend players until they’ve seen them play and practice.  I doubt they give Scherff a deal until after the season is over and they see him in the offense. 

Yeah they have both said that. I mean, I get the sentiment and can see how that would apply to the majority of the roster, and specifically to Trent who they used this reference directly on. In reality were likely keen to move on from him once RR established instantly that Trent was already mentally out of the door...

But Scherff?  Nah I don’t buy it at all. Do we think he’s going to look **** in this offense? Not really. I’m sure they’ll know there are no issues there. Just like they did when they chased Amari Cooper. I’m sure they knew he’d fit right in. 

Or Fuller on defence. I don’t think he’s come in on a one year prove it deal.

They have enough background on the better players to know who they want here long term.

So yes, they have said that but I think a certain caliber of player, we’ll, it’s fairly obvious in my opinion if they would fit into our long term plans.

The only issue with Scherff will be money. Does RR think a RG is a wise utilisation of a 70mil+ contract?

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

But Scherff?  Nah I don’t buy it at all. Do we think he’s going to look **** in this offense? 

But he has been injured the last 2 years so it wouldn’t be out of the question they want to see him stay healthy and how the whole line looks together before committing large chunks of cash to a guard.  

I keep saying this, guards are important, but they are not as important as other positions.  And I think you want to make damn sure you are certain before you commit to a guard long term because it’s a lot of money to pay for a non-premiere position. 

54 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But he has been injured the last 2 years so it wouldn’t be out of the question they want to see him stay healthy and how the whole line looks together before committing large chunks of cash to a guard.  

I keep saying this, guards are important, but they are not as important as other positions.  And I think you want to make damn sure you are certain before you commit to a guard long term because it’s a lot of money to pay for a non-premiere position. 

Totally understand, VOR.  Issue here as you know the price tag keeps going up when OGs of Scherff's talent start getting extensions.  That's the issue.  I'd like to see a 2 or 3 year extension now rather than later.  We don't need to go 4 or 5 years.  If two or three years in the deal make the last year totally voidable.  

Scherff has a great lineman's attitude and enough nasty to be good, but he was supposed to be the mainstay right tackle to Trent's left tackle.  You don't spend a pick that early on a Guard for a reason, they do not need to be as long and athletic and are more readily available.  I'd like to keep him on a long term contract, but not at cap numbers that near those of tackles.  I'd really have liked him to evolve into a tackle, but he seams to have settled in his best spot.  Very good Guard and glad to have him, sign him to a reasonable long term contract and let's move on.

I think the importance of guards has changed over the years. Back in the day, guards were just big strong guys who shoved the guy in front of them forward. Today, guards need to be more mobile and good athletes, especially because so much pressure comes up the middle these days. Between zone blitzes and every other type of pressure d out there, your guards better be able to hold up. After all, the quickest route is still that straight line. There are probably times when guard play is even more important than tackle play. After all, a tackle can be helped with a tight end or a back, so they aren't necessarily on an island either.

That said, Scherrf's injuries and his overall play merits a bit of caution on the front office's part.

We’ll all I’ll say is if he plays lights out this year on the tag I would be prepared to be disappointed next offseason when he walks.

We know what we have in Scherff. So you can either be proactive or reactive on his contract situation.....:kickcan:

42 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If he gels with the new staff, provides leadership, and plays well, then I don't think we should regret having to pay him a big contract next offseason.  We'll have the cap space and he'll have earned the money.

I am almost certain another team will pay him more than us if we let if drag on to next offseason. Old Brice would be getting flamed if he was still at the wheel and that was being suggested.

I’ll have to look later at RRs track record with paying/not paying guards at CAR

Edit - so back in 2017 CAR extended Trai Turner, 45mil over 4 years with RR in charge. That’s encouraging. 

On 5/8/2020 at 5:41 PM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

What's the hurry? Deadline is July 15 to get a deal done for Brandon.

On 5/10/2020 at 11:49 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

When Ron and Kyle originally said that they expected the off season program to have already started. I believe they wanted to see health, good attitude, and participation from players before they would consider extending them. That could have easily been accomplished (for guys on expiring deals) by now (OTAs) or at least by July 15th (training camp) during a normal season. Players with 2-3 years left on contract were always going to have to play the season first though. 

The unique circumstances of the delay in football will force them to make a decision on a timeline they were not anticipating in February.  Maybe they can "virtually" get enough info for certain players to extend them...maybe not.  If zero in-person football activities have taken place by July 15th it will be interesting to see what they do.  Go against their word and extend Brandon without having done any football activities? What does a move like that say to the other players who have been told to wait to be extended? Transparent communication with these players (or their agents) will be key for the locker room if these types of decisions have to be made. I think Ron and Kyle are much more equipped to handle those things than the last guy here. 

8 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

What's the hurry? Deadline is July 15 to get a deal done for Brandon.

Yeah I understand we have time. My general objection is to the narrative that we intend to / or should wait until next offseason. I see little sense in that at all.

Scheff's only red flag is health, film shows what you have on the field.  Once they can be sure he is healthy I expect they'll work out a deal.  I understand the new staff being cautious; if things had been normal they would already have their answers.  I expect him o be a solid piece of the hopefully improving line for years to come.

Archived