Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Offer Would Change Your Mind on Trading Down???

Renegade7

Trade offer to change your mind on trading down???  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Trade offer to change your mind on trading down???

• Has to be MORE then accepted trade package to get RG3
    • Has to be AT LEAST the accepted trade package to get RG3
    • Would be willing to accept LESS then accepted trade package to get RG3
    • There's nothing that can convince me to trade down, stop trying, unplug the phone
    • Only if you can convince me of an impossible scenario where we can still get Chase Young, good luck
    • I don't know
    • I don't care

18 hours ago, Lovi said:

That’s a huge dead cap hit. Perhaps they are just trying to find out his value right now. Would make sense for them to hold on to him next year, draft Tua and red shirt him for a year. Then move on from Stafford next year. I could Def see that happening. 

Does the dead cap hit really hurt them if their only paying Tua on the rookie salary scale? Depending on what they get for Stafford (1st round pick?) maybe the dead cap thing isn't such a bad plan if you end up with Tua and another 1st round pick?

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Ya. I'm leaning towards too much smoke not to be fire.  It makes sense to say that's a lot of dead cap, but they only won 3 games last year. Are they really going to miss it if they get it out the way now?

And again, Stafford has a spinal cord injury that camt be fix via surgery.  I'd say Lions know more then they want to know that's why them doing due diligence keeps getting leaked

Getting rid of Stafford will do precisely zero for them. Their offense was fine, and Stafford was playing at an All-Pro level, but their defense couldn't stop anyone and was worst in the NFL against the pass. Getting rid of Stafford would be like your car breaking down because your transmission died, and instead of replacing the transmission you bought a brand new engine, even though the engine was ok, and hoped that would somehow fix your transmission problem. 

It's basically paying a ton of money to get rid of the best player on your team.

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Does the dead cap hit really hurt them if their only paying Tua on the rookie salary scale? Depending on what they get for Stafford (1st round pick?) maybe the dead cap thing isn't such a bad plan if you end up with Tua and another 1st round pick?

no it is manageable, reports have it actually at 24.8mil and not 32mil. Either way, there’s a chance as the saying goes :ols:

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Hes missing games because of a spine injury. It's not that simple. 

Yes, but it's not a spinal cord injury. The timeline doctors gave him to heal was about 6 weeks and the Lions decided it was best to just shut him down for the season and let him heal since they were already out of playoff contention. From what I've read it's something that just needs time to heal and he hasn't had any setbacks. He played through it for almost a year apparently. 

The point still stands. You have one of the worst defenses in the league, including the absolute worst pass defense, your offense was doing fine and your QB was having an All-Pro year before it was decided that it was safest to shut him down and let him heal. And the direction you're going to go in with a #3 overall pick and the chance to add a potentially elite talent to your defense is to get rid of your QB and then give up picks to move up and draft an injury prone QB who's coming off of a really bad season ending one?

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

no it is manageable, reports have it actually at 24.8mil and not 32mil. Either way, there’s a chance as the saying goes :ols:

It's $32 million.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/matthew-stafford-6078/

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The one caveat, according to OverTheCap.com, is that Stafford's contract does include an option bonus that would transfer over to the new team, as long as the trade happens before the bonus comes into effect. 

The exact time that bonus will go into effect has not been specified, however. 

So, if Stafford is traded before the bonuses are given to him, it would leave the Lions with a dead cap hit of $24.8 million.

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yes, but it's not a spinal cord injury. The timeline doctors gave him to heal was about 6 weeks and the Lions decided it was best to just shut him down for the season and let him heal since they were already out of playoff contention. From what I've read it's something that just needs time to heal and he hasn't had any setbacks. He played through it for almost a year apparently. 

The point still stands. You have one of the worst defenses in the league, including the absolute worst pass defense, your offense was doing fine and your QB was having an All-Pro year before it was decided that it was safest to shut him down and let him heal. And the direction you're going to go in with a #3 overall pick and the chance to add a potentially elite talent to your defense is to get rid of your QB and then give up picks to move up and draft an injury prone QB who's coming off of a really bad season ending one?

Please post a link, because what I read and posted earlier in the thread was they suspect this started in 2018, not 2019, and it's not healing time before he starts playing again.  This will become a chronic issue if it isnt already.

And who said it has to be Tua? This is why I'm waiting for combine to help further flesh out this conversation.  A team that bad, who's to say they can build a contender around him in time before with his head or body gives up?  

Heres another one

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/matthew-stafford-back-injury-could-be-chronic

A very concerning piece of information was also revealed in Schefter's report.

"With the fractures in Stafford's back, surgery is not considered an option. The injuries are potentially chronic, and Stafford knows he could be dealing with the pain that he has had that dates back to last season for years to come.

23 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Nothing less than Pat Mahomes plus this years and next years first round picks from the Chiefs.  It's about time we fleeced Andy Reid in a trade, I am still sore about McNabb!

With Alex Smith still on the roster *squints eyes

giphy (53).gif

On 2/15/2020 at 12:00 AM, WelshSkinsFan said:

Nothing less than Pat Mahomes plus this years and next years first round picks from the Chiefs.  It's about time we fleeced Andy Reid in a trade, I am still sore about McNabb!

Sorry but as long as our fantasy football owner is at the helm it's going to be wash, rince, repeat mode (McNabb, RG3, Haskins, Smith). I understand the feeling but let it go it ain't worth the headache ;). Let's focus on Saturday's game at Millenium stadium. :)

2 hours ago, FrFan said:

Sorry but as long as our fantasy football owner is at the helm it's going to be wash, rince, repeat mode (McNabb, RG3, Haskins, Smith). I understand the feeling but let it go it ain't worth the headache ;). Let's focus on Saturday's game at Millenium stadium. :)

Im failing to see how Haskins fits with the others

15 minutes ago, MariusVT said:

Realistically I'd like to see them pick Young simple because I want to see him crushing the QBs in our division, but if we traded I'd be good with Miami's 5 and 18, but no less than 5 & 26 to give up passing on a prospect like Youbg

I would need Miami's #5, #26, their 2021 #1 and their 2020 2nd to move out of #2. I would also be willing to throw them a 7th if they needed more. 

We would then have two 1sts this year and next and we'd get a 2nd rounder this year. 

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

All are Snyder's :816: decisions

lol that's painting with a broad brush.  We traded assets for McNabb and Smith, both toward the end of their effective time in their careers, and mortgaged a draft for RG3. 

We took Haskins at 15.  

Still not seeing the common 'mistake' made by Snyder. 

28 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

lol that's painting with a broad brush.  We traded assets for McNabb and Smith, both toward the end of their effective time in their careers, and mortgaged a draft for RG3. 

We took Haskins at 15.  

Still not seeing the common 'mistake' made by Snyder. 

My point was as long as he's picking our QBs we're screwed. Our friend from Wales is still pissed off by the McNabb trade so I suggested him to let it go since there is absolutely no sign he's going to change (Haskins). Sorry I don't get your point with the McNabb ans Smith trades.

I think I have settled on an acceptable offer.

I want #5, #18, #39 and the Houston 2021 1st round pick. I assume that the Dolphins would be more reluctant to part with their own 1st, presuming Houston is a playoff team. I think Houston is a playoff team, but I could also see them taking a backseat to the Titans/Colts should the QB pieces fall into play and easily pick in the middle of the 1st.

I still prefer Chase. But, and this is a big risk. IF this is a trade on the table, and we aren't able to work a deal with the Lions (preferable) if they decide they want Tua, I am immediately turning around after making this deal with Miami and offering the Lions #5 and #18 to move back to #3.

Any other year I would be very confident that pick #39 would be enough to move from #5 to #3 (and some years, even a 3rd), but if Burrow-Tua go 1-2 I have to assume Detroit is taking Chase unless they're blown away by an offer.

Truth is, if they move Slay, which seems likely at this point, they might be more interested in getting more draft capital. And having #5 to take Okudah while also getting #18 for another piece may get it done. We'll see.

The risk is the Lions say screw you and just take Chase. But then you at leaset have 5/18/39 and 2 1sts next year. Big risk to take though IMO

32 minutes ago, FrFan said:

My point was as long as he's picking our QBs we're screwed. Our friend from Wales is still pissed off by the McNabb trade so I suggested him to let it go since there is absolutely no sign he's going to change (Haskins). Sorry I don't get your point with the McNabb ans Smith trades.

Just that we didnt give up assets to get Haskins, and I don't think we are at a point that we can say it was a bad decision.  We didn't give up any additional draft capital for Haskins, and he's not a QB that you look at and wonder if his best years are behind him... yet. 

Archived