Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TODAY: Christian school expels teen after she poses with rainbow birthday cake

Cooked Crack

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I'm athiest and plan on sending my kids to a nominally christian school because it's a really good school and they are light on the religion and aren't intolerant.  And the public schools where I live aren't great. 

Exactly...

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

My parents house is near a Christian school.

I Think religious schools indoctrinate you in whatever religion that school represents.  I wouldn’t do that, just to get an education and I know people who did that.

I think you think what you've experienced. They're not all like that. Some people are sending their children there because it provides the best education for them, and they feel comfortable dealing with the religious element (however they want it dealt with)

40 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

yes, you can legally discriminate against people for not holding your views.  

i need to ask a question about this.

So I cannot discriminate against someone because they are black

But I could... say... discriminate against someone for not hating black people? (Which, in terms of what someone like that would actually be out for, means you're getting to discriminate against black people, and some white people you probably don't like either...)

1 minute ago, tshile said:

But I could... say... discriminate against someone for not hating black people? (Which, in terms of what someone like that would actually be out for, means you're getting to discriminate against black people, and some white people you probably don't like either...)

I don't think you'd be able to functionally discriminate against a protected class, but successfully claim you are doing it for legal reasons so it's fine.  

A corollary that comes to mind is redlining.  It comes in various forms but I'll use housing as an example because I'm a housing lawyer (*this is not legal advice *).  Essentially, banks would systematically discriminate against A NEIGHBORHOOD (that just happened to be populated by mostly black people), and refuse to make loans on houses in that neighborhood or to people that live it that neighborhood.  You can't do that.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlining

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I don't think you'd be able to functionally discriminate against a protected class, but successfully claim you are doing it for legal reasons so it's fine.  

you mean the courts don't accept forumesque rational for legal arguments? :)

i think it is obvious that religiously based private schools will teach you their religion as part of the curriculum, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. 

Obviously some may get the idea i am anti-God, and that is mostly completely true, but i am not anti-private / Chrstian schools. In my experience they almost always are superior to the local public schools in the education received, and there are many reasons for it,, such as they can usually afford to spend more on faculty, they are not held back by the worst kid in school who can't behave and drags everyone around them down.. as some have stated public schools must take everyone whereas private schools can be choosy. 

Parents are bound to be more involved when they are paying so much tuition, and typically those parents are also members of the congregation, as are the teachers and administrators. "It takes a village" works more often than not, and that atmosphere exists. You don't "meet your kid's teachers" unless they are new for the year. Chances are very high the parents already know their child's teacher through a function outside of school.

If I could have afforded it, I'd have definitely considered it for my kid, and as has been rumored, i can be vehemently anti-God.

Fact is as a web developer I do some volunteer work for certain websites, and one of them is a catholic school in Southern MD. Good people, good school, and since i built the site for them in the first place, volunteering to do the heavier maintenance on it is something i'm glad to do.

But this doesn't seem to me to be anything more than bigotry wearing a cross, and frankly, I'd maybe have a different opinion on it if the girl was known to be gay or had "I AM GAY" written on the cake. At least then they have some sort of ground to stand on, albeit ****ed up ground.

But a ****ing rainbow?
15 year old girls can't just like RAINBOWS? Pretty colors? 

~Bang

i'm jealous of you guys that are able to make private school work.

the main private school here is awesome. they teach way more foreign languages, at way earlier ages, and they encourage their students to go through more than 1 foreign language track. their performing arts are ridiculous, with ties to well known national programs. their craft arts are ridiculous as well. they have 'study abroad', where instead of going over seas like in college, the instructor takes over the classroom remotely; tied into the white board (or whatever those digital white boards are called...), a screen just for the teacher, completely interactive, etc...

(and this is one of these "biggoted" christian private schools you all think are so bad)

Meanwhile the public school system is putting kids in trailers for classrooms because they can't even keep their **** together enough to make sure they have a ****ing classroom for their students.

We don't have bad public schools here, in fact they're really good compared to the rest of the country. But the difference between the private school and the public schools is insane. 

You can excuse it by talking about funding and such, but I don't get to unilaterally make those decisions, i only get to work with what i got, and what I got is an awesome private school and a bunch of public schools that aren't even in the same realm. 

unfortunately kindergarten costs 20k and that's just hard to make happen even if I want it.

I read this article from a different news source. It stated the mom posted the pic on her FB page. Why is the school monitoring the parent's FB page? And why can't the kid be a kid and like rainbows and that flavor of cake. Kids do stupid stuff all the time at school when then know they shouldn't. Vaping and cutting class is normal for some students. Seems to me the school wanted to make an example of the young lady. She is probably better off now at public school anyhow.  I'm so tired of these fake ass Christians. Whatever happened to "Jesus is Love" and "Love thy neighbor"? I think these folks probably haven't read the Bible in a while and or understood what they have read. 

3 minutes ago, ksun247 said:

Why is the school monitoring the parent's FB page?

All the schools around here do. In fact we just hired a private company to specifically handle monitoring social media accounts of students. 

the main reason is that some/many school shooters showed lots of red flags on social media. 

in absence of leadership on the school shooting front from state and federal government, localities are making their own moves. 

I didnt like the idea but it’s already worked where I live. A young girl was arrested for planning something already and a bus was pulled over where another girl had a gun in backpack and it was discovered through social media. Within 10 minutes of it being reported they had the bus pulled over and the girl and gun removed. 

so two separate incidents in the last year of potential tragedy were stopped. It obviously works on some level. 

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

All the schools around here do. In fact we just hired a private company to specifically handle monitoring social media accounts of students. 

the main reason is that some/many school shooters showed lots of red flags on social media. 

in absence of leadership on the school shooting front from state and federal government, localities are making their own moves. 

I didnt like the idea but it’s already worked where I live. A young girl was arrested for planning something already and a bus was pulled over where another girl had a gun in backpack and it was discovered through social media. Within 10 minutes of it being reported they had the bus pulled over and the girl and gun removed. 

so two separate incidents in the last year of potential tragedy were stopped. It obviously works on some level. 

And this was done by monitoring the PARENT’S pages?  Or just the kids.  Monitoring the parents seems like a reach to me.

6 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

And this was done by monitoring the PARENT’S pages?  Or just the kids.  Monitoring the parents seems like a reach to me.

I don’t think monitoring social media works that way. 

for instance if someone wanted to monitor your activity on ES, it’s hard to imagine they wouldn’t also wind up monitoring a lot of other posters. You can’t do it in a vacuum. You have to see all of what’s going on.  They wouldn’t have 100% of me, but surely they’d be seeing my posts since we quote each other and participate in the same threads often...

11 minutes ago, tshile said:

I don’t think monitoring social media works that way. 

for instance if someone wanted to monitor your activity on ES, it’s hard to imagine they wouldn’t also wind up monitoring a lot of other posters. You can’t do it in a vacuum. You have to see all of what’s going on.  They wouldn’t have 100% of me, but surely they’d be seeing my posts since we quote each other and participate in the same threads often...

I was thinking more of Facebook.  The schools would have to actively go look at the parents page (depending on security settings).

2 hours ago, tshile said:

Political beliefs are not a protected class, so basically yes.

You can fire someone for being Democrat or Republican 

Edit: At least, thats not something thats federally protected but state laws might come into play

8 hours ago, No Excuses said:

This is really what is at the heart of the conservative push for more charter schools and school vouchers.

Most of the country isn't getting the type of charter school's we have in the DMV which specialize in science, tech, design or a multitude of other useful skills. A lot of these private charter schools are really just churches masquerading as education centers. American Madrasas is what they are.

Educating the next wave of the ‘Muricun Taliban is fine by me but the problem I have with it is they’re using my tax dollars to do it. At the same time they also have used it to resegregate the schools and deny poor kids a decent education. I get that for many of the parents, they’re just trying to provide a decent education for their kids. However, if we’re honest, we have to also acknowledge that for a lot of them it’s a polite, deniable way to keep their kids away from “those” kids. Moreover, those two reasons aren’t mutually exclusive for a lot of people.

i always hated private schools and the privilege they represented going back to when I was a kid at my elementary school bus stop yelling insults at the token black kid allowed into the catholic school in my smallish town. Flash forward more years than I care to think about and here I am the adoptive parent to a teen daughter with all kinds of issues and experiences to deal with and our choices are to send her to a garbage, Georgia public school where the motto is “Georgia, at least we’re not Louisiana, Alabama or Mississippi” or go broke to put her in private school. We ultimately got a partial scholarship that allows us to almost be able to afford the latter. Touring the private schools and comparing the resources they have to the public school our daughter attended her first year with us made it a slam dunk decision to accept penury instead of subjecting her to the public high school this year. It also made me equal parts furious and depressed that we’ve allowed this kind of inequity to happen. I understand more every day why the 5% Nation sees this country as being devilish.

13 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

However, if we’re honest, we have to also acknowledge that for a lot of them it’s a polite, deniable way to keep their kids away from “those” kids. 

Those kids

those teachers

those resources
those problems

private school teachers aren’t using supplies they bought with their money because their county won’t provide more adequate funding. 

as others have pointed out, private schools have more options for troublemakers. 

the private school here is what I imagine every parent wishes was their child’s school. Nice facilities, quality and well paid teachers, lots of advanced curriculum... 

it guarantees nothing but the potential blows the best public school experience out of the water.  

On the surface, this seems to make sense. Time to show and prove.

If you’re not old enough to remember it (I’m not) or didn’t learn about the resistance movement against civil rights and desegregation in school, you might think the “school choice” movement  just came about during the Reagan administration or thereabouts. In fact, its roots go back to citizen’s councils and other chicanery designed to resist desegregation. 

Segregationists, Libertarians, and the Modern "School Choice" Movement

..the efforts of these segregationist leaders "to maintain white supremacy were often considerably more sophisticated, self-aware, and nuanced than the cartoonish depiction of southern stupidity and hostility would admit.

These forgotten and ignored strategies help explain how today's proponents of public financing of private schools can employ the language of civil rights without widespread discredit. They also reveal how the origins and historical development of "freedom of choice" have shaped and continue to define the impact and role of "school choice" and vouchers in public education across the nation.

...By 1965, seven states had enacted some type of voucher that enabled the largest growthof private schools in the South's history. Yet, vouchers as a preferred and essential method of resistance to Brown did not stand alone but worked most effectively through larger plans that emerged from the different states. These plans were not uniform, but most incorporated strategies and language that have evolved and endured as the ways and means by which vouchers, school choice, and private schooling have escaped the stigma of their segregationist origins without losing much of the same purpose or effect.

That’s a horrible condensation of a really great article. However it shows in detail the blueprint the former Dixiecrats, i.e. today’s Grand Oligarch’s Party’s used to transition the entire country into Jim Crow Part 2 - Operation RINO  (Rights in name only).

So now you’re telling yourself that this was generations ago and any resemblance to times past is just a coincidence. But if it’s not a desire to keep our kids away from “those” kids, why all the uproar whenever “those” kids try to transfer to essentially white schools? After all, they’re not bringing their teachers, lack of resources, etc. You might argue they will be bringing “those problems” but then these parents aren’t looking at the kids on a case by case basis to accurately make that determination.

The bottom line is that this anti-LGBT bigotry is just a replay of the resistance to the desegregation movement. It’s all dressed up in religious freedom but it’s the same bigotry all over again. 

Advanced issue found

17 hours ago, ksun247 said:

I read this article from a different news source. It stated the mom posted the pic on her FB page. Why is the school monitoring the parent's FB page? 

Very Bigbrother isn't it? 

You'd think they'd be slightly relieved to move to a less cultish school private or public.

19 hours ago, Destino said:

I’m catholic so I’m not torn by whatever complaints you heathens might have concerning the religious educational components.  My daughter does not attend a catholic school because of religion however, but because I feel that it's a better environment than my public school options.  The behavioral and academic standards are higher.  As someone said previously just walking through the halls shows a stark contrast.  There's also a big community component involved that can't easily be duplicated at a public school.   

I don’t want my little one in a public school where educators have to accommodate unreasonable parents with terribly behaved children.  I want my daughter in a school where those kids, and their parents, are asked to kindly GTFO.  

It isn’t cheap though.  If I had a traditionally catholic sized family there’s no way I’d be able to afford sending them all to private school.  They’d have to draw straws.

edit:  there are a lot on non Catholics that send their kids to this same school.  No one reaches for pitchforks over it.  I did get a laugh out of seeing so many kids show up at school dressed as witches for Halloween.  Times have changed!  Haha

i belong to a catholic church with a school....  a really good school.   i don't send my kids there (because the public schools here are so very good) but i did look into it.... the first kid is $x.   the second kid is much less than $x ... by the third or 4th kid, tuition is basically free.   

that is how they accommodate the "traditional" Catholic family... they basically doesn;t exist anymore in the the USA.  i have 3 kids, and i am almost looked at like a clown car

Archived