Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera: Redskins First (non-interim) Head Coach of Color

COWBOY-KILLA-

3 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@THE HAMMER'IN HOG Wow Buddy! I didn't create the term, I'm sorry if it bothers you. Call him what you want.. a minority, a latino/hispanic american, just a dude even. Still doesn't change the fact we haven't hired one of "these" men in 88 years and that was the whole point here. To recognize the importance of it for the Skins and the man himself.  🙉 I'll just 🙊 on this..

The one team that was forced to sign minority players now has a minority head coach. I think that's ****ing awesome.  

29 minutes ago, THE HAMMER'IN HOG said:

So a man who is a shade darker than an albino is now a man of "color??" 

Always someone trying to interject race into something!!! Just look at all the potential pro bowl CB's who are passed over because they are white!! What a shame!! smh

Slow down. Read the thread slowly instead of giving in to your basest impulsive overreations and discomfort. See if you find a glimmer of truth or perspective in what someone thinks who isn't you or like you. You're doing yourself a disservice. This could be an illuminating thread without posts like this. Derisively calling a Puerto Rican person "a shade darker than albino" to dismiss others' experiences is irrational behavior and a destructive attitude, man. 

@kfrankie thank you for engaging. To my surprise there have been more than We May have imagined since the pre nfl days...

A few Hall of Famers too. There have been a bunch.. The more we know...

So there have been many players in the NFL, but so few Executives with full Power to make Decisions that that is what makes this RR hire so important for minorities or people of color.

just off the top right now playing:

kiko alonso LB

blake martinez LB

anthony villanueva OT

andrew sendejo S

zane gonzalez k

rigoberto Sánchez P 

some more bigger names:

Tony Gonzalez HOF

Anthony Muñoz HOF

Ted Hendricks HOF

Jim Plunkett 

Tom Fears HOF

Jack Del Rio

Ron Rivera

Manny Fernandez

Tony Romo

Jeff García 

https://m.ranker.com/list/best-hispanic-football-players/famous-hispanics?ref=collections_btm&l=335506&collectionId=2360&li_source=LI&li_medium=mobile-bottom-collection

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hispanic_professional_American_football_players

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

As far as him being Puerto Rican, that's fairly significant also, because of the way they've been treated the last few years. Hurricane Maria hit us, before slamming right through them. No state would ever be treated like PR was and it was because it's prodominently PoC. It's still destroyed. It might be a sore subject because I'm right here, but imagine if those affected by Katrina was allowed to lay in ruins 2 years later.

Yeah, PR only got $1 billion in relief aid from FEMA...

Not to mention, New Orleans is over 60% minority. 

24 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@zskins @xxprodigyxx

Engage, embrace, deflect, ignore, pretend, dismiss, choose what you will. Cest la vie... This isn’t required participation.  Thank you for your contributions.

He has been a coach for a very long time and broke that barrier a long time ago for other minorites coaches to follow. Why is it more important now? 

I am also people of color, btw.

3 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@zskins @xxprodigyxx

Engage, embrace, deflect, ignore, pretend, dismiss, choose what you will. Cest la vie... This isn’t required participation.  Thank you for your contributions.

A very childish approach. You made this thread, I chose to participate in it as I see fit. You are also not required to engage me.

I don't think this is how you should treat your fellow poster of color.

Thank you for your contributions.

It's good to see POC showing their skills and getting rewarded as a matter of facts.

There is discrimination (racism), and positive discrimination (trying to get a mirror image of our society) to counter the previous one Both of them are a breach of the right to equality, one use racism in job selection, the other one skin color, ethnicity. Both of them usually ignore merit and skills.

Wouldn't our societies be better by clearly renouncing quotas and the word discrimination ?

I believe in an "ideal" society there would be no discrimination whatsoever, and that our references should be the concepts of positive equality and additional merit with equal skills.

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The one team that was forced to sign minority players now has a minority head coach. I think that's ****ing awesome.  

Weren't the Skins the first team to have a black QB win a Superbowl too?

6 hours ago, ddub52 said:

Yeah, PR only got $1 billion in relief aid from FEMA...

Not to mention, New Orleans is over 60% minority. 

Not sure what you're getting at.

25 minutes ago, slaga said:

Weren't the Skins the first team to have a black QB win a Superbowl too?

Yes. 

I'll tell ya, first and foremost I was rooting for RR for HC because of the quality of his coaching and intensity of his leadership. If his heritage provokes conversations, inspires youth and leads to wider opportunity for marginalized people how is this not a HUGE bonus? Even it it doesn't apply to me specifically I'm not sure why I am supposed to deny those positive feelings to others or **** all over their joy. Now, I'm not being dismissive of the conversation here, quite the contrary, I am open to sharing in the feelings of others that see this as an act of empowerment. Some short-sighted people feel that if they aren't getting a "cut" of the action or attention then no one should be. That's horse**** and says something about the speaker and not the subject.

I've always felt that one of the core values of sports (or military service) is that it bonds people together for a common cause that transcends their differences without erasing them. OUR team got better, wider, deeper, more, and if some get to feel it on a more direct and visceral level than I am able to, then hell, good. 

I've found the term "people of color" to be confusing.  Depending upon the issue it seems to include some people but exclude them in other situations.  If you are white Hispanic are you a person of color?  If so, there Hispanics that are more European than "white" Americans.  As to the OP, Rivera has been a successful HC for a long time so I'm not sure there is anything to celebrate.  Hopefully just success with the Redskins. 

Archived