Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

28 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Old school Rivera sticking with guys he knows. Somewhat disappointing but we shouldn't be surprised.

Disappointing to me too. We will see what happens, but I hate seeing guys get fired and then bring the entire staff they lost with, with them at the new gig. But im willing to watch and see how it goes. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Disappointing to me too. We will see what happens, but I hate seeing guys get fired and then bring the entire staff they lost with, with them at the new gig. But im willing to watch and see how it goes. 

Did Scott Turner call plays under Rivera or was it after Rivera was fired?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

That's why, even though he's not being retained, I can respect McVay for being a greenhorn newborn baby HC, yet still was bold enough to go out and get Wade Phillip's, someone I don't think he ever even worked with before in any capacity (I mean he worked with his boy Wes, but it's not the same as working together with live rounds coming at you)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Dude we were 3-13. A failed 2 point conversion from having the worst record in the NFL. If Cam's shoulder wasn't held together by duct tape and chewing gum it's a different result for them. They were 15-1 not too long ago and made a Super Bowl. I'm super optimistic about it and I'm usually pessimistic and cynical on just about everything we do. 

• Like 6

I mentioned previously I heard Sharp talk about Scott Turner and liking what he saw

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

If I'm KOC, why not take the OC job opening up in NE if McDaniels leaves for the Browns, rather than following McDaniels to Cleveland.  The only downside would be Brady's age, but I'm sure the Pats will be drafting a QB to groom this year.

According to Hoffman among others he and McDaniels are super close pals.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Is it the same staff that he went to the Super Bowl with too? (serious question, not being facetious - I don't know the answer)

Man you would think that we lost Bill Belicheck the way Grant and Danny are talking right now.  **** these douchebags are so annoying.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, purbeast said:

Is it the same staff that he went to the Super Bowl with too? (serious question, not being facetious - I don't know the answer)

That is a good question I honestly hadnt considered that. Also, same staff is a little facetious on my part cause it a bit different. 

Also often annoyed by Grant and Danny

11 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I see it a little differently but it is all opinion at this point.

He has no ties to jack del rio and for a defensive minded coach to immediately bring in someone he's never worked with as defensive coordinator I think that speaks volumes to his opinion of del Rio's defensive strategy. 

And every new coach brings in people their familiar with, I'd rather he bring in people he knows he works well with than just go with what looks best on paper and hope for good chemistry. 

If he had hired norv or another veteran offensive coordinator that he worked with in the past I'd agree but scott is young and completely unproven, I think this is a big gamble for him and he's basing it more on the potential he saw in him rather than just a comfort he has with his past.

• Like 1

Turner worked for new Redskins head coach Ron Rivera in Carolina the last two seasons and is the son of former Washington head coach Norv Turner. NFL Network reported that O'Connell has "received permission" to speak with other teams about coaching opportunities. MMQB first reported the news on Turner officialy getting the gig with the Redskins.

Scott Turner, 37, has little experience as an offensive coordinator. Ironically, he was promoted to that position with the Panthers last year only after Rivera got fired after an early December loss to the Redskins. His father Norv served as offensive coordinator but was moved to a special assistant role at the same time. Prior to his late-season promotion to offensive coordinator, Turner served as the Panthers quarterback's coach for two seasons. Turner played college quarterback at UNLV and began his NFL career as a quality control assistant with the Panthers in 2011, Rivera's first season. 

In four games as Carolina's offensive coordinator, Turner's team averaged 15 points and 343.5 yards per game. The team was playing a third-string rookie quarterback for some of that time though so the stats probably aren’t entirely representative of Turner's ability as a playcaller. 

Rivera described Turner as “on the precipice” and ready for the challenge of running an NFL offense. Now he will get that chance. 

As for O’Connell, some Redskins fans will be disappointed with his departure. 

He had been with the team since 2017 and was considered the next in a line of talented young offensive minds in Washington like Sean McVay and Matt LaFleur. O’Connell also worked primarily with quarterback Dwayne Haskins last season.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I mentioned previously I heard Sharp talk about Scott Turner and liking what he saw

Pure speculation but do you think that Ken Zampese will help Scott Turner mentoring him or do you think that Ken is an excellent teacher who will bring Haskins along in this new O.  Also, do you think we will need to build a very strong, solid O Line for Turner's O to click on all cylinders?

15 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Dude we were 3-13. A failed 2 point conversion from having the worst record in the NFL. If Cam's shoulder wasn't held together by duct tape and chewing gum it's a different result for them. They were 15-1 not too long ago and made a Super Bowl. I'm super optimistic about it and I'm usually pessimistic and cynical on just about everything we do. 

Im more cautiously optimistic than cynical at the moment myself. Just sayin, I get "iffy" when people who failed at the last stop bring their comfort zone to the next party. Not that I think he really failed...cause I dont. 

Honestly ignore me that, it was more of a stream of consciousnesses post than anything well thought out. 

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I see it a little differently but it is all opinion at this point.

He has no ties to jack del rio and for a defensive minded coach to immediately bring in someone he's never worked with as defensive coordinator I think that speaks volumes to his opinion of del Rio's defensive strategy. 

And every new coach brings in people their familiar with, I'd rather he bring in people he knows he works well with than just go with what looks best on paper and hope for good chemistry. 

If he had hired norv or another veteran offensive coordinator that he worked with in the past I'd agree but scott is young and completely unproven, I think this is a big gamble for him and he's basing it more on the potential he saw in him rather than just a comfort he has with his past.

Yea I feel you. My first post on the matter wasnt thought out past "from Carolina" if ima be honest. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 1