Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Redskins at Packers

TK

Just now, dc1 said:

The missed block was 4 feet in front of him while he was looking down field.

There's plenty to criticize Haskins on, but that play wasn't one of them.

Okay so he has tunnel vision then. Great. No reflexes and no awareness. Do you realize you can see depth and closeness with your eyes at the same time?

1 minute ago, TommyWilson said:

I know you're trying to be funny but almost no first rounder comes out and plays great, in fact I can't think of any.  Josh Allen, Darnold, Tannehill,  Lamar Jackson, 

Lamar Jackson? Wasn’t he like....6-1 as a starter last season? That’s as close to great as anything else, right?

Just now, OVCChairman said:

right, and if he does see it, he has to rely on Thompson to execute the block.  CT was there, it was his assignment.  Haskins has to trust his teammates. 

Not sure I understand what your argument is.

The CT had the push, Thompson had the chip.  The goal was to give DH enough time for the play to develop.  

All DH could do was trust his teammates which he did.  Unfortunately the play was an absolute dive from the snap. 

..which is why I couldn't put it on Haskins.

Are people really blaming Haskins on the sack (the play before the INT).  Haskins assigned the blocking correctly.  Thompson is sitting right there in the gap, and simply whiffs his block.  The QB is relying on those blockers so they can take their eyes off the rush and scan the field.  It's not like the whiff happened 5 seconds after the snap, it was immediate. That was on Thompson.

Just now, TommyWilson said:

The penalty was before the snap?  Not sure why that wouldn't be a dead ball foul.  Just because they let Haskins take a hit doesn't mean that play actually "happened" right?

I've barely ever seen that penalty so I honestly don't know but it seems silly to run time off the clock for a play that doesn't exist in the score sheet

Technically it's AT the snap, similar to an offsides penalty, which is why the play can continue as long as the rushing player does not have a free shot at the QB... The DB has a chance to get to the numbers and qualify as an 'eligible' defender, but since he ran off the field, then back on and never re-established himself as an eligible defender, it was an illegal substitution.  That way you cant substitute 1 DB for another at the last second to favor a matchup on the outside.   If you could, then shifting RBs, or TEs outside, you could just swap players out at the last second and negate a matchup issue.  A legal defender has to get inside the numbers to qualify for the play once substituted in.  Then they can move to their position on the field.  

16 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Lamar Jackson? Wasn’t he like....6-1 as a starter last season? That’s as close to great as anything else, right?

I mean they were basically using him as a running back his first year with Flacco doing a lot of the passing.. And even once he started he was putting up a lot of sub 200 yard games, it's not like he was carrying the team like he is now.  And the Ravens are way, way better than us even last year 

Edit: a word

11 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

INT on Haskins. Late throw to the outside is dangerous. Dude neeeds to sit in the second half. He's hurt.

He’s hurt all right. C’mon. this guy is a joke. Just because he can throw a 100 mile an hour fastball he’s supposed to be our future? He needs to sit...permanently.

13 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Technically it's AT the snap, similar to an offsides penalty, which is why the play can continue as long as the rushing player does not have a free shot at the QB... The DB has a chance to get to the numbers and qualify as an 'eligible' defender, but since he ran off the field, then back on and never re-established himself as an eligible defender, it was an illegal substitution.  That way you cant substitute 1 DB for another at the last second to favor a matchup on the outside.   If you could, then shifting RBs, or TEs outside, you could just swap players out at the last second and negate a matchup issue.  A legal defender has to get inside the numbers to qualify for the play once substituted in.  Then they can move to their position on the field.  

Hmm, that's wild.  Thanks for the info.  I guess I just think it's silly then lol but at least I understand it now 

3 minutes ago, dc1 said:

Not sure I understand what your argument is.

The CT had the push, Thompson had the chip.  The goal was to give DH enough time for the play to develop.  

All DH could do was trust his teammates which he did.  Unfortunately the play was an absolute dive from the snap. 

..which is why I couldn't put it on Haskins.

I know, i was agreeing with you, just elaborating on the point. 

1 minute ago, zskins said:

Okay so he has tunnel vision then. Great. No reflexes and no awareness. Do you realize you can see depth and closeness with your eyes at the same time?

The play was dead within two seconds.

What's unfortunate is that it was designed to be a mid deep route. 

Haskins job was to set and check mid deep options.  He couldn't do it because the play broke at the line.  

Criticize him where you want, but that play is a bad hill to fight on.

Archived