Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Vikings

KDawg

I kept trying to watch Apke, but Collins and Payne are too damn good to look away from. Collins is ridiculous. Wish we had an inside backer that could fly like him. 

Payne is the best player on this team and other than Allen and Collins, maybe Schreff and Mclaurin,  but otherwise it's not close.

6 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I’m a football fan.  Son of a coach, in fact.

What can I say?  

That you need a hobby. Collect some stamps.

(By and large, this "effort" and "discipline" stuff always sounds like crap to me. We have no idea if the team is responding to Callahan's 1950's "Here's some salt tablets" approach to football or not).

15 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I appreciate someone watching a 1-7 team at this granular a level.

Good God.

I regularly see 'effort' attributed to praise or criticism for coaches and players.  But the amount of times I literally see NFL players on any team not playing with effort is very minimal.  Sometimes fans just see what they want to see.  "The players aren't playing for this guy" is so overblown it's crazy.  When that does appear to be the case, it's typically December.  When it's happening in October, it's just a new way to lose.

3 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

(By and large, this "effort" and "discipline" stuff always sounds like crap to me. We have no idea if the team is responding to Callahan's 1950's "Here's some salt tablets" approach to football or not).

This is true.

But it's also not. 

One thing that we know Callahan did was bring officials into practice and that hasn't been done so far this season. 

I don't think it's Callahan's old school approach that's responsible. I think it's the fact he's got refs in practice. I think that's a much more reasonable and arguable take than "well, they sucked discipline wise when he was the OL coach, but when he got elevated to HC their problems disappeared!"

6 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The dead hate the living.

The D has some pieces and has improved under Callahan. Unfortunately we still have big holes at ILB and other then Dunbar and Collins the entire secondary needs to be overhauled.

The O is the worst in the league and could legitimately be one of the worst in league history if not for McLaurin and Peterson.

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

Leading with the helmet has got to stop. Defense gets serious credit for slowing the bleeding in terms of the outcome of one of those drives, iirc. But the sheer lack of discipline is maddening. 

I agree of course, but man, I hate seeing receivers putting their helmets at waist level and swiveling it toward incoming dbs.  

16 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Haskins looked so deflated on the sidelines.

Good.  I mean, I’d rather him look elated because he came in and played great, but given the circumstances... good.  Hopefully he works his *** off to try to avoid ever feeling that way again.  

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I regularly see 'effort' attributed to praise or criticism for coaches and players.  But the amount of times I literally see NFL players on any team not playing with effort is very minimal.  Sometimes fans just see what they want to see.  "The players aren't playing for this guy" is so overblown it's crazy.  When that does appear to be the case, it's typically December.  When it's happening in October, it's just a new way to lose.

Oh, The Redskins are the master of the "it's Week 16, and I just want to go home" loss. Yes, you do sometimes see effort issue in games like that.

And then there are the Haynesworth moments.

But in an October game where the guy across from you can literally cripple you? Guys are trying hard.

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

..... But now with the concussion on top of other lingering issues it's going to be interesting to see how the Redskins play the Haskins vs. McCoy dynamic. 

Haskins is the confirmed #2 who will play next Sunday if Case is held out through the concussion protocol mate. 

Colts third in line. 

Hail. 

I gotta give credit where credit is due.

The defense, mostly the d-line, played like they were 6-2.

It became obvious early in the 2nd qtr that the Vikings HC wasn't gonna let Cousins get over-anxious, so it was little dump-off and screen passes, not the down-the-field aerial attack many were expecting. There were a few big pass plays, but nowhere near aggressive, just safe high % passes. Had the Redskins put up TDs instead of FGs, I could see Cousins throwing 3 picks in that game.

Keenum played ok, not great; but damn, his pocket presence was gone. He'd take 2 steps away from pressure and stop and re-look the field, when he should have just taken off running. Well, he will be hearing doorbells for the short future, so now its the " big Fail " Dwane Haskins.

I get the talk of 'he's only been practicing with the scrubs' talk, but what I saw on the field was a scared, panicking guy who was mentally frazzled. When the camera panned on him on the bench, he was just sitting there, looking around. If he is THAT raw or inexperienced, at least show him some stills or plays on a laptop, SOMETHING, to work with. I dunno who's responsibility that was, but players, especially QBs, have a lot to go through, so give the kid something to look at instead of sitting there chillin' with his fat gold necklace.

Oh yea, one more thing.

The goal line offense. Or lack thereof.

With the Redskins o-line being poor at opening holes, why do they consistently run a bunch or jumbo type pkg when it never works?

1st & goal at the 2, put 4 WRs out there spread out; make the damn defense respect them. If they don't its an easy toss-n- catch for a TD.

At least it removes players away from the LOS, which would give the RB a better chance.  It drives me bat**** crazy watching them constantly trying to run through 13 guys when the line isn't strong.

I need a drink.

The best thing - watching Cousins and thinking "I'm so glad we didn't pay him what he wanted!!" Diggs and Cook looked world beaters but what an average team otherwise. Agree with the folks saying we would have won with Keenum. And that's not saying much about the Vikings!!!

21 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

The best thing - watching Cousins and thinking "I'm so glad we didn't pay him what he wanted!!" Diggs and Cook looked world beaters but what an average team otherwise. Agree with the folks saying we would have won with Keenum. And that's not saying much about the Vikings!!!

Lol I wanted to trade Kirk before his first Tag and sign Case. :ols:

everyone thought I was an idiot. And I might be, but not this time!

3 hours ago, skins island connection said:

The goal line offense..

The what now?

If that's like a QB sneak, we havent gotten that far in our text book yet.

14 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Hats off to the defense..I believe case could have won us that game had he stayed in..

Lmao that was a good one!   Sacked twice two fumbles.  Case is soft as baby sh**.  He doesn’t take care of the ball period.  

5 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Oh yea, one more thing.

The goal line offense. Or lack thereof.

With the Redskins o-line being poor at opening holes, why do they consistently run a bunch or jumbo type pkg when it never works?

1st & goal at the 2, put 4 WRs out there spread out; make the damn defense respect them. If they don't its an easy toss-n- catch for a TD.

At least it removes players away from the LOS, which would give the RB a better chance.  It drives me bat**** crazy watching them constantly trying to run through 13 guys when the line isn't strong.

I need a drink.

I agree best play down there is the spread out QB sneak.  Second best play is the play action lead FB flat.  Third best play is the Wildcat.  Why don’t we run that with Sims?  Instead of the jumbo package lead.  Especially when your average sucks.  

11 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Lol I wanted to trade Kirk before his first Tag and sign Case. :ols:

everyone thought I was an idiot. And I might be, but not this time!

The what now?

If that's like a QB sneak, we havent gotten that far in our text book yet.

Not a QB sneak, just have AP in the backfield and have TEs and WRs spread out; make the Vikes respect the WRs.  That takes bodies away from the LOS and AP could easily punch 2-3 yds, he pretty much did that all game. Its almost a walk-in TD for him.

40 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Not a QB sneak, just have AP in the backfield and have TEs and WRs spread out; make the Vikes respect the WRs.  That takes bodies away from the LOS and AP could easily punch 2-3 yds, he pretty much did that all game. Its almost a walk-in TD for him.

Respect and the Redskins lol

After Callahan spoke theres no surprise run.

Archived